Awards & nominations

The Man

Dr.Jonesy said:
Do you constantly have to be a smarta$$?

Honestly?

And exactly what part of that post struck you as 'smartass'? You don't find it odd that a prominent movie so apparently popular with younger audiences didn't score a single nomination..?

Raiders112390 said:
Dont mind him, he's not an Indy fan, just a fan of whatever CHUD tells him is cool to like.

img3.jpg

Dr.Jonesy

The Man said:
And exactly what part of that post struck you as 'smartass'? You don't find it odd that a prominent movie so apparently popular with younger audiences didn't score a single nomination..?

I figured that comment was another jab at the film itself that you so famously dislike.

The Man

Dr.Jonesy said:
I figured that comment was another jab at the film itself that you so famously dislike.

No. I found its omission genuinely surprising. Bedtime Stories makes the cut, yet Skull does not? Odd. Very odd, indeed...

The Man

They Came From Saturn!

BEST SCIENCE FICTION FILM

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (20th Century Fox)
EAGLE EYE (Paramount / DreamWorks)
THE INCREDIBLE HULK (Universal / Marvel)
INDIANA JONES & THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL (Paramount / Lucasfilm)
IRON MAN (Paramount / Marvel)
JUMPER (20th Century Fox)

BEST ACTOR

CHRISTIAN BALE - THE DARK KNIGHT (Warner Bros.)
TOM CRUISE - VALKYRIE (MGM / UA)
ROBERT DOWNEY, JR. - IRON MAN (Paramount / Marvel)
HARRISON FORD - INDIANA JONES & KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL (Paramount / Lucasfilm)
BRAD PITT - THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON (Paramount)
WILL SMITH - HANCOCK (Sony)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

JEFF BRIDGES - IRON MAN (Paramount / Marvel)
AARON ECKHART - THE DARK KNIGHT (Warner Bros.)
WOODY HARRELSON - TRANSSIBERIAN (First Look Studios)
SHIA LABEOUF - INDIANA JONES & KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL (Paramount / Lucasfilm)
HEATH LEDGER - THE DARK KNIGHT (Warner Bros.)
BILL NIGHY - VALKYRIE (MGM / UA)

BEST DIRECTOR

CLINT EASTWOOD - CHANGELING (Universal)
JON FAVREAU - IRON MAN (Paramount / Marvel)
DAVID FINCHER - THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON (Paramount)
CHRISTOPHER NOLAN - THE DARK KNIGHT (Warner Bros.)
BRYAN SINGER - VALKYRIE (MGM / UA)
STEVEN SPIELBERG - INDIANA JONES & KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL (Paramount / Lucasfilm)
ANDREW STANTON - WALL-E (Walt Disney Studios)

BEST COSTUME

LINDY HEMMING - THE DARK KNIGHT (Warner Bros.)
DEBORAH HOOPER - CHANGELING (Universal)
JOANNA JOHNSTON - VALKYRIE (MGM / UA)
CATHERINE MARTIN - AUSTRALIA (20th Century Fox)
ISIS MUSSENDEN - THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: PRINCE CASPIAN (Walt Disney Studios)
MARY ZOPHRES - INDIANA JONES & KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL (Paramount / Lucasfilm)

BEST SPECIAL EFFECTS

ERIC BARBA, STEVE PREEG, BURT DALTON, CRAIG BARRON - THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON (Paramount)
NICK DAVIS, CHRIS CORBOULD, TIM WEBBER, PAUL FRANKLIN - THE DARK KNIGHT (Warner Bros.)
PABLO HELMAN, DAN SUDICK - INDIANA JONES & KINGDOM OF CRYSTAL SKULL (Paramount / Lucasfilm)
JOHN NELSON, BEN SNOW, DAN SUDICK, SHANE MAHAN - IRON MAN (Paramount / Marvel)
MICHAEL J. WASSEL, ADRIAN DE WET, ANDREW CHAPMAN, EAMONN BUTLER - HELLBOY II: THE GOLDEN ARMY (Universal)
DEAN WRIGHT, WENDY ROGERS - CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: PRINCE CASPIAN (Walt Disney Studios)

Lon

That's great on the Saturn Awards. I doubt it wins anything though. 2008 was the year of The Dark Knight so I'm sure it will clean up and Iron Man will take the Best Science Fiction film award.

Indy's brother

BEST SCIENCE FICTION FILM

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (20th Century Fox)
EAGLE EYE (Paramount / DreamWorks)
THE INCREDIBLE HULK (Universal / Marvel)
INDIANA JONES & THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL (Paramount / Lucasfilm)
IRON MAN (Paramount / Marvel)
JUMPER (20th Century Fox)

For my tastes, I think KOTCS deserves it here. "The Day" was weak, Eagle Eye had much less presence and seemed more conspiracy/actioner than scifi (aside from the HAL homage), and Hulk and Iron Man should be in a separate category than this. After all, any comic book character could be considered scifi, but really, it's a separate genre in modern film. By their appearance on this list, you would think that TDK would have been included. Oh yeah, and Jumper sucked.

KOTCS was a partial homage to grass-roots scifi cinema of the 50's. The same could be said for "The day", but it was just a failed remake of a scifi classic, KOTCS was at least original.

Dr.Jonesy

I'm pulling for Indy in best Sci-Fi film especially!

But, sadly I doubt it'll win over the cookie cutter Marvel film Iron Man.
(n)

Morning Bell

I'm glad to see KOTCS get some Saturn nominations. There's no telling if it'll actually win anything but still great nonetheless.