Indy 5 news 2018

axelan

Producers are ruining franchises left and right these days trying to appeal to the dumbed down younger generations where the profit is. I rarely go to the movies anymore (the volume is always jacked up so loud even ear plugs don't help, assigned seating implemented to increase profits and cater to the smartdumb phone tech generation, etc), I never rent movies anymore either (not as if I could since redbox is the only option), and canceled cable tv years ago now.

It is really sad what has become of the movie industry. A solo story was the last movie I ever saw in the theater and probably will be the last movie I ever see unless something truly amazing comes out. Before that I was going less and less and it's one hobby activity I used to love doing weekly but no longer enjoy. (n)

Z dweller

TheFirebird1 said:
At least we know the project's head is still above water, at least for now.
Hmmm... I'm with IndyForever on this one: it's just vaporware at this stage.
I'll believe that it's actually happening only if and when a script is finalized.

Seriously:a writer's room, after the Keopp/Kasdan swap? :confused:
It's an Indy movie, for heaven's sake, just write the damn thing.

They are simply not committed to the project, end of story.

TheFirebird1

Z dweller said:
Hmmm... I'm with IndyForever on this one: it's just vaporware at this stage.
Hear, hear, good man. I did include a caveat at the conclusion of my brief post. I have no doubt that there's a fairly large chance this whole thing could go into development hell with the snap of a finger.
Z dweller said:
I'll believe that it's actually happening only if and when a script is finalized.
I have a feeling we'll be waiting here for quite a while, then ;).
Z dweller said:
Seriously:a writer's room, after the Koepp/Kasdan swap? :confused:
I don't think Marshall really knows exactly what the situation is with the movie, given his hesitance throughout the entire interview (and mostly on the so-called "writer's room", and Kennedy's involvement), but it's not like a writer's room is necessarily a bad thing. Given the right circumstances, it can help foster creative concepts and unique ideas that can help the film prosper (a la a less-intense version of the Raiders Story Conference). However, it's embarrassing that this wasn't already done yet. The project was announced in the spring of 2016, and they're still working with a writer's room? Have they been sleeping for the past two years?
Z dweller said:
It's an Indy movie, for heaven's sake, just write the damn thing.

They are simply not committed to the project, end of story.
I agree with you mostly on this one. Indy movies are, after all, fairly formulaic :)eek: I know, I know, but it's the truth). There's an opening gambit, then he goes around the world in search of an unspeakably powerful artifact with interesting companions, and then the villain dies by their own arrogance while attempting to harness the relic's power. This shouldn't be hard to write. At all.
As for the second part of your statement, I'm inclined to disagree. It's not that they're not committed, it's just that they don't know what to do with it. I'm sure that after the last two SW releases, they're especially concerned about how this dormant franchise will be received, and it's probably affecting the choices they're making regarding Indy 5.

IAdventurer01

TheFirebird1 said:
I'm sure that after the last two SW releases, they're especially concerned about how this dormant franchise will be received, and it's probably affecting the choices they're making regarding Indy 5.

Hopefully for the better, then. While I certainly want a good Indy 5, after some of the handling of Star Wars I'm getting a bit more inclined to let it lie.

Pale Horse

Staff member
TheFirebird1 said:
.. there's a fairly large chance this whole thing could go into development hell with the snap of a finger..

Balanced, as it should be.

TheFirebird1 said:
I agree with you mostly on this one. Indy movies are, after all, fairly formulaic :)eek: I know, I know, but it's the truth). There's an opening gambit, then he goes around the world in search of an unspeakably powerful artifact with interesting companions, and then the villain dies by their own arrogance while attempting to harness the relic's power. This shouldn't be hard to write. At all..

George Polti would like a word with you. Use the search, I'm too lazy. 36 plots.

Z dweller

TheFirebird1 said:
It's not that they're not committed, it's just that they don't know what to do with it.
iu

Your Honor, we contend that the defendant is not guilty of neglecting her baby.
She just didn't know what to feed him.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
https://uproxx.com/movies/frank-marshall-the-other-side-of-the-wind-orson-welles-indiana-jones-5
More Frank Marshall:
Q: So, Indiana Jones 5 has been delayed again. I keep thinking, if it gets pushed a couple more years, in the movie Indiana Jones could just buy a ticket to see Raiders of the Lost Ark in theaters.
[Laughs] Oh? you?re right!

Q: Isn?t that weird?
Well, all these things are weird when we start talking about the movies that we?ve made that you never dreamed would have this kind of effect.

Q: Most of yours do.
Well, you know I?ve worked with some fantastic people.

Q: So Indy 5 is going to happen, right?
Yes.

Q: Every time there?s a delay I get worried.
We just have to get the story right this time. We know that it?s a cherished franchise, and we gotta get it right.

Udvarnoky

I guess we are at a point where the players are willing to openly heap shade on CRYSTAL SKULL.

Story meetings imply a page-one rewrite. At this point I am less excited about the actual movie than about the trail of rejected scripts that led up to it.

TheFirebird1

Z dweller said:
iu

Your Honor, we contend that the defendant is not guilty of neglecting her baby.
She just didn't know what to feed him.
hsop.gif

Oh, come on. Now you're just being facetious.
The two situations aren't equal at all. Like I said before, there's really one main question that has to be focused on with this film--how the hell do you revive a franchise that's been mostly dormant for ten years? Indy's popular, yes, but not so much as SW or Marvel, and therefore trying to craft a successful sequel requires a lot of difficult work.
Pale Horse said:
Balanced, as it should be.
Was hoping someone would pick up on that reference (y).
Pale Horse said:
Georges Polti would like a word with you. Use the search, I'm too lazy. 36 plots.
Ah, yes. The Thirty-Six Dramatic Situations, an addendum to the thirty-six already provided by Carlo Gozzi. Indy's tales mostly revolve around a slight subversion of No. 9, the "daring enterprise". Instead of the hero taking the pursued object in the end (as in Polti's), Indy ends up losing it for one reason or another. Again, formulaic isn't always a bad thing, and should make writing a story easier, but there's so many other factors behind this which make me doubt that.

Z dweller

TheFirebird1 said:
The two situations aren't equal at all.
Well, we could spend ages arguing about semantics - but whichever way you look at it, they wasted two years.

TWO YEARS, with no progress whatsoever.

Did you see this video I posted in another thread?
I do hope Ford is ok, but we are getting to the stage where the idea of him playing Indy in any capacity is becoming laughable.

And I'm convinced that the main reason why Koepp's script was dumped is that it featured Ford for the entire movie (no flashbacks with a younger actor), but it didn't manage to deal convincingly with the constraints imposed by Harry's age.

Hence they brought in Kasdan Jr, who wrote "Solo".
I know it bombed at the box office, and I can't judge it as I didn't watch it, but a lot of people liked it, including several here at the Raven.
I suspect Disney are now inching towards the realization that two parallel stories, one set in the past with a younger actor, are the way to go.

But every day that goes by without progress makes it more likely that the next movie, whenever it happens, will be a full recast.

Pale Horse

Staff member
TheFirebird1 said:
Indy's tales mostly revolve around a slight subversion of No. 9, the "daring enterprise". Instead of the hero taking the pursued object in the end (as in Polti's), Indy ends up losing it for one reason or another...

Using this Summary because I'm lazy, I always put the movies into the following categories.

Raiders = 9
Temple = 30
Crusade = 21/35

and

Skull = 33 (bwahahahaha)

The last movie, Indy V should be 22, when Indy sacrifices himself for the greater good and all of it is lost.

Udvarnoky

Z dweller said:
I do hope Ford is ok, but we are getting to the stage where the idea of him playing Indy in any capacity is becoming laughable.

ANY capacity? Indiana Jones is a tenured professor. As Ford becomes less believable as a two-fisted action hero, he becomes more believable as a wise academic. Both are facets of the character. A fifth movie was always going to have to leverage the latter over the former.

Z dweller

Udvarnoky said:
ANY capacity? Indiana Jones is a tenured professor. As Ford becomes less believable as a two-fisted action hero, he becomes more believable as a wise academic. Both are facets of the character. A fifth movie was always going to have to leverage the latter over the former.
What's Indy's average on campus screen time?

Even counting the long Ark exposition scene in Raiders and the motocycle chase in KOTCS (and not considering TOD), I'd say less than 10 minutes per movie.
The rest is all action.

Are you proposing we invert ratio in Indy 5, and have just 10 minutes of action in the movie?

Well, I guess Ford could deal with that, even in his 90s.

Bring on Indy 6 and 7! :p

Pale Horse

Staff member
Z dweller said:
Are you proposing we invert ratio in Indy 5, and have just 10 minutes of action in the movie?

You'd be surprised how much time they could milk action out of this man, climbing out of an office window. Think of the angles Steven could do:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gCKhktcbfQM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He could easily double the screen time, with the same effect, and add SLO-MO!

Z dweller

Pale Horse said:
He could easily double the screen time, with the same effect, and add SLO-MO!
Good point.

If Spileberg does that with every single punch, we could have 30 minute fistfights and the like.

Problem solved! (y)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Who said anything about a 79 year old throwing a punch? I was just talking about him leaving the building through a side entrance window, because his prune juice left a stain in his depends in front of a full lecture room!

I swear, if they make Indy V (and Jones, in particular) a mirror of Lloyd Bridges in Hot Shots! I'd pay for the entire Raven community to see the first showing!

IndyBuff

Pale Horse said:
I swear, if they make Indy V (and Jones, in particular) a mirror of Lloyd Bridges in Hot Shots! I'd pay for the entire Raven community to see the first showing!

Now THAT would be quite a film!(y)

These news don't sound very promising. :( Though the story going back to global scope sounds good to me, both Raiders and Last Crusade did that (though LC less so) and were better for it. I suppose they could go for a feel like the Dan Brown movies, but I dunno... Indy was always shown more as the adventurer then the scholar (even if the scholar in him comes out at times briefly), so that's what people will still be expecting. Mind you, I think that would be certainly an interesting thing to explore.

IndyBuff

Just imagine if they had stuck to the original release date. We'd only be about nine months away from a new Indy film...

TheFirebird1

Back to Square 1. Again.

https://nerdist.com/indiana-jones-5-story-frank-marshall/
oh-bother-gif-7.gif

Let's hope it doesn't get pushed back to 2022 at this rate. Were Koepp's numerous script drafts really that unworkable?
EDIT: This line right here has to be my favorite from the article (emphasis mine):
Nerdist said:
Marshall, who started his collaboration with director Steven Spielberg on Raiders of the Lost Ark, said he hasn’t spent much time considering the critical reaction to the last installment, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, or worrying about a film that that fans will think is “better.” “We’re storytellers and that should be the bar that we set for ourselves,” he said. “That’s something that I apply to Jurassic and I apply to Bourne and I apply to Indiana Jones. Those are all franchises, and we’ve just got to tell a good story.
Interpret that as you will. But as someone who almost passed out from boredom while watching the newest installment of the Bourne saga, I really hope that Marshall and Kasdan take a different route for Indy 5. Again, I didn't mind KotCS, but I'd prefer a slightly less lukewarm farewell to the saga.

Last edited: