Dead Sea scrolls

indyt

Didnt know if any members were near the Charlotte NC area. The Scrolls will be on display in Jan and Feb. I will be going. Should be neat.

Tennessee R

I operated the Ground Penetrating Radar computer at Qumran for a professor at Cal State Long Beach, searching for new caves that might house additional scrolls.
The project was made into a History Channel documentary, and was played I think in '04.
If you saw it, you saw me. ;)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Dr. Golb said that, of course, Qumran could have been both a monastery and a pottery factory. Yet, he added: ?There is not an iota of evidence that it was a monastery. We have come to see it as a secular site, not one of pronounced religious orientation.?

My dead sea scroll knowledge is limites, but didn't a significant amount of gnosticism come from the jars of clay?

Doc Savage

Pale Horse said:
My dead sea scroll knowledge is limites, but didn't a significant amount of gnosticism come from the jars of clay?
Of the 800+ texts found:
30% are excerpts from the Hebrew Bible
25% are non-canonical texts (*Book of Enoch, Book of Jubilees, Testament of Levi)
30% are Biblical commentaries or Essene texts (Discipline Scroll, War of the Sons of Light and the Sons of Darkness)
15% remain unidentified

*The Book of Enoch is quoted in Jude's epistle

Tennessee R

The whole book of Isaiah was quite a discovery.
I believe that at least part of every book of the Bible was found except Esther.

Tennessee R

Yes, sorry, I should have clarified that.

Of course, then, some people consider the Old Testament the only part of the Bible that applies. And vice-versa. ;)

Doc Savage

Tennessee R said:
Yes, sorry, I should have clarified that.

Of course, then, some people consider the Old Testament the only part of the Bible that applies. And vice-versa. ;)
Don't apologize to me...you're the expert. I don't think anyone here has your experience. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Raven's closest approximation to Indiana Jones...Tennessee R.

indyt

Tennessee R said:
The whole book of Isaiah was quite a discovery.
I believe that at least part of every book of the Bible was found except Esther.
You are right Tenn. Thousands of fragments with a complete scroll of Isaiah. Esther was not part of the find and it was the OT. The Dead Sea Scrolls are the earliest copies ( before AD 100) of these books found and they establish even more the Bible that we have today.:)

fortuneandglory

I'm no expert on this either, but I've aspirations to be an Archaeologist, so I hope to learn from Tenessee R. in the process! Nice to meet ya' by the way.

Gustav

I saw the Dead Sea Scrolls about a month ago. If it's the same exhibit going around, it will also have a sheckle of tyre, which is supposedly what Judas accepted I think 30 of to betray Jesus; and it will also have some 5,000-year-old cuneiform. Those were what I thought were most interesting. The scrolls themselves are just small fragments really. It will also have a lot of bibles from throughout the centuries, some pages printed on a Guttenberg press and lots of other scrolls including one called the Oxyrhyncus papyrus which was found thrown out with the trash.

Doc Savage

Gustav said:
I saw the Dead Sea Scrolls about a month ago. If it's the same exhibit going around, it will also have a sheckle of tyre, which is supposedly what Judas accepted I think 30 of to betray Jesus; and it will also have some 5,000-year-old cuneiform. Those were what I thought were most interesting. The scrolls themselves are just small fragments really. It will also have a lot of bibles from throughout the centuries, some pages printed on a Guttenberg press and lots of other scrolls including one called the Oxyrhyncus papyrus which was found thrown out with the trash.
Where's this display at?

Gustav

It was at a museum about an hour from where I live. The exhibit moves around to different museums. It stayed here for about three months and I believe it has moved on by now.

Le Saboteur

deadseascrolls.jpg

A new documentary is set to air on the National Geographic Channel tonight, August 2nd. Drawing on new research into the scrolls, the documentary posits that the scrolls were written by "Jews... but it may not have been just one specific group. It could have been groups of different Jews."

National Geographic said:
The Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered more than 60 years ago in seaside caves near an ancient settlement called Qumran. The conventional wisdom is that a breakaway Jewish sect called the Essenes?thought to have occupied Qumran during the first centuries B.C. and A.D.?wrote all the parchment and papyrus scrolls.

But new research suggests many of the Dead Sea Scrolls originated elsewhere and were written by multiple Jewish groups, some fleeing the circa-A.D. 70 Roman siege that destroyed the legendary Temple in Jerusalem.

Check local listings! To read the entire article, go here.

<embed src="http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/videos/satellite/satelliteEmbedPlayer.swf" bgcolor="#000000" flashVars="videoRef=08409_00&shareURL=http%3A%2F%2Fchannel.nationalgeographic.com%2Fseries%2Fmysteries-of-the-bible%2F5179%2FVideos%2F08409_00&embedConfigFileName=config.xml" allowFullScreen="true" name="flashObj" width="496" height="279" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Scrolls are still being found: "in many instances, archaeologists have had to rappel hundreds of feet down sheer cliff faces and dig through piles of bird and bat guano."