Bullsh!t

From Belloq swallowing a bug to Lash LaRue teaching Harrison how to use a whip, what other Indiana Jones urban myths do you know of or make you shake your head?

The source of "1138" in Raiders is laughable, I'd say IMDB is loaded with examples and is as reliable as Wikipedia...

What other claims make you scream Bullsh!t!

The Drifter

Rocket Surgeon said:
From Belloq swallowing a bug to Lash LaRue teaching Harrison how to use a whip, what other Indiana Jones urban myths do you know of or make you shake your head?

The source of "1138" in Raiders is laughable, I'd say IMDB is loaded with examples and is as reliable as Wikipedia...

What other claims make you scream Bullsh!t!

Great idea for a thread, Rocko.
Well, after believing for years that Georgie did indeed name Indiana after the dog, I found out by your, sir - that I was living in denial.
Thanks for crushing a fresh young spirit by the harsh truth!

Montana Smith

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-the-scenes-facts-you-may-not-have-known.html

Indiana Jones: 10 behind-the-scenes facts you may not have known

2. Indiana Jones was actually Indiana Smith until the first day of shooting.

9. Steven Spielberg and George Lucas play missionaries in the airport at the start of Temple of Doom.

10. Indiana Jones' horse in The Last Crusade was also John Rambo's horse in Rambo III.

2. I thought that Smith was ditched earlier on. His name is Jones in the Revised Third Draft screenplay from August 1979, so long before the first day of shooting.

9. I never heard this one before, but they get a mention in IMDB's cast list along with Frank Marshall.

10. I never heard that one either. But it is plausible, with the Vic Armstrong connection and whatnot.

EDIT: The Raider.net ROTLA Trivia page still has the following!

When Indy is threatening to blow up the Ark Belloq says"You're going to give mercenaries a bad name".
When he says that a fly flies into his mouth and you don't see it coming out again!

Last edited:

The Drifter

Montana Smith said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-the-scenes-facts-you-may-not-have-known.html

2. I thought that Smith was ditched earlier on. His name is Jones in the Revised Third Draft screenplay from August 1979, so long before the first day of shooting.

9. I never heard this one before.

10. I never heard that one either. But it is plausible, with the Vic Armstrong connection and whatnot.

I heard about the horse being the same one used in Rambo III, but for the life of me, I can't remember where I heard that at.

And, about number two. I thought Steve dismissed the name Smith on the beach while him and Georgie were building their sandcastle together? Guess, that I was wrong...

again!

Montana Smith

The Drifter said:
And, about number two. I thought Steve dismissed the name Smith on the beach while him and Georgie were building their sandcastle together? Guess, that I was wrong...

again!

...or maybe not. I was under that impression as well, and along with the evidence of the 1979 screenplay, I call bullsh!t on number 2!

The Drifter

Montana Smith said:
...or maybe not. I was under that impression as well, and along with the evidence of the 1979 screenplay, I call bullsh!t on number 2!

It's gotta be bullsh!t because every place that I have read that story it says that George told Steve the name of Indiana Smith, and Steve disliked it and suggested Jones instead while they were on the beach in Hawaii.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Montana Smith said:
9. I never heard this one before, but they get a mention in IMDB's cast list along with Frank Marshall.

ss-1.jpg

WillKill4Food

The Drifter said:
Well, after believing for years that Georgie did indeed name Indiana after the dog, I found out by your, sir - that I was living in denial.
What is this heresy?

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
Really? This bit of trivia is as old as the film itself and one I thought was universally known amongst Indy fans. Kathleen Kennedy and a few others were in costume, too. (See: Photo on page 171 in the "Complete Making of..." book.)
The Drifter said:
It's gotta be bullsh!t because every place that I have read that story it says that George told Steve the name of Indiana Smith, and Steve disliked it and suggested Jones instead while they were on the beach in Hawaii.
Of course, it's B.S. Who in the hell writes this stuff?:confused:
WillKill4Food said:
What is this heresy?
George has said that Indiana was Marcia's, his (ex) wife's dog. See this thread: Why did George Lucas name his dog Indiana?
JuniorJones said:
Same horse, Different actor.
If it is the same horse (Hurricane, by the way), then the white blaze on its nose has been painted with black dye.

Another common story that turned out to be B.S. is the fight with the Arab Swordsmen being cut due to Harrison Ford feeling sick. Recently, at the 30th Anniversary screening in L.A. he just confirmed that this was not true!:eek: What's crazy is that the filmakers themselves have perpetuated this myth!

P.S. GREAT idea for a thread, Rocket!:hat:

Henry W Jones

There is behind the scenes footage of Harrison pretending to staple gun his hat to his head. I remember kids from school after seeing this saying he had a metal plate in his head and staples the hat to his head, hence the hat not coming off. I remember arguing with a kid about if he really stapled it to his head it would still bleed. Also if you watch said footage Harrison is obviously joking.

Stoo

Henry W Jones said:
There is behind the scenes footage of Harrison pretending to staple gun his hat to his head.
Good one, Henry W.! Yes, Harrison was hamming it up for the camera. There is an interview with Spielberg (on either the DVDs or during the press junket for "Skull") where Spielberg 'tells the secret' of the staples...which is complete HOGWASH.
Rocket Surgeon said:
When I see or hear someone say Short Round wears a Yankee hat...

I sort of enjoy the smackdown on that one:Bullsh!t.
I feel the same way when nearly EVERYBODY says that Indy beats up Nazis in "Raiders" (even worse when they write, "Nazi's").:rolleyes: This is incorrect and only people like Montana Smith get it right.

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Really? This bit of trivia is as old as the film itself and one I thought was universally known amongst Indy fans. Kathleen Kennedy and a few others were in costume, too. (See: Photo on page 171 in the "Complete Making of..." book.)

I'm not very good on Indy trivia. ;)

These films live for me more through their stories and implications, hence...

Stoo said:
I feel the same way when nearly EVERYBODY says that Indy beats up Nazis in "Raiders" (even worse when they write, "Nazi's"). This is incorrect and only people like Montana Smith get it right.

:D

Henry W Jones

Stoo said:
Good one, Henry W.! Yes, Harrison was hamming it up for the camera. There is an interview with Spielberg (on either the DVDs or during the press junket for "Skull") where Spielberg 'tells the secret' of the staples...which is complete HOGWASH.

Thanks(y)

Stoo said:
I feel the same way when nearly EVERYBODY says that Indy beats up Nazis in "Raiders" (even worse when they write, "Nazi's").:rolleyes: This is incorrect and only people like Montana Smith get it right.

It's not "Knot-see's"? ;) Thanks for the spelling lesson. :D

Montana Smith

Henry W Jones said:
It's not "Knot-see's"? ;) Thanks for the spelling lesson. :D

In calling bullsh!t on Hitler, Churchill had his own pronunciation, which is best described here:

Ken Ringle said:
Churchill...made a point of pronouncing the word 'NAZI' with a drawn-out nasal 'a' and a soft, slushy 'z' that makes it sound like something disgusting discovered beneath a toilet seat.

http://histclo.com/bio/c/bio-church.html

The Drifter said:
You must have run away from home when you heard about Santa!;) Isn't "knowing half the battle"?

Stoo said:
I'm more aware of the proper usage since that conversation and sometimes I still fail!

Henry W Jones said:
There is behind the scenes footage of Harrison pretending to staple gun his hat to his head.
Another one I've heard repeated as truth as well...:hat:

Stoo

CGI Gophers

Another big pile of knee-jerk reaction B.S. and blinkered, Philistine pig ignorance is:

The universal & automatic blame on George Lucas for putting CGI gophers in "Crystal Skull". Bulls!t. The prairie dogs were SPIELBERG's IDEA!:gun:

Montana Smith

Henry W Jones said:
There is behind the scenes footage of Harrison pretending to staple gun his hat to his head. I remember kids from school after seeing this saying he had a metal plate in his head and staples the hat to his head, hence the hat not coming off. I remember arguing with a kid about if he really stapled it to his head it would still bleed. Also if you watch said footage Harrison is obviously joking.

funny-gifs-stapled-hat.gif