Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 04-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #26
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Kasdan Willing To Write Indy 5

Quote:
It sounds like Lawrence Kasdan, the screenwriter behind the first "Indiana Jones" film, "Raiders of the Lost Ark," would at the very least consider writing the fifth installment in the classic movie franchise if approached with the idea by producer George Lucas and director Steven Spielberg.

"I would listen to anything those guys said to me -- no question," Kasdan told me in an interview Friday. "They had spoken to me about the previous movie … but I've been hesitant to go back to that same area."

Kasdan, who is readying the release of his first film in nine years, the dog-themed dramedy "Darling Companion," told me that a big part of his hesitancy stems from the stellar success of "Raiders," which was released in 1981.

"I'm old fashioned, which means I think 'Raiders' was absolutely perfect in my mind. I'm not sure we can do any better than that," Kasdan said with a laugh.

If there's any hope for fans, Kasdan -- who also collaborated with Lucas as a screenwriter on the "Star Wars" films "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" -- has clearly shown that he's willing to write sequels.

"I'm not against sequels -- I was involved with 'Empire' -- but generally, they're not what attract me," Kasdan said.
While Lucas has all but guaranteed there will be no more "Star Wars" films, a live-action series, tentatively titled "Star Wars: Underworld" is in development. Like the prospect of writing the fifth "Indiana Jones" movie, Kasdan told me that he'll keep an open mind about writing for the series if approached by his old friend.

"George and I are always in touch, and as he's done each of these (new) 'Star Wars' movies, he's asked me if I wanted to be involved," Kasdan said. "I'm open to listening to anything, but I'm not drawn to doing that kind of (thing)."

The 30th anniversary of "Raiders of the Lost Ark," released June 12, 1981, was celebrated by Lucas and Spielberg last year. The fifth "Indiana Jones" movie, which would once again star Harrison Ford as the heroic title character, is still in development.

LINK

Discuss.

Last edited by Moedred : 04-23-2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: by request
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #27
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Yeah but in that interview, he says he's not fond of writing sequels. He may have written Return of the Jedi, but seeing how it isn't as well regarded as Empire, that probably hurts the possibility of him returning to Indy.

If Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which brought the return of Marion Ravenwood(a character he created) couldn't lure him back, I doubt anything Indy 5 has to offer can.*

Hate to be even more cynical, but remember this man made Dreamcatcher so its not like his career is infallible unlike Lucas and Spielberg.

*That said, didn't he actually help write the dialogue banter between Indy and Marion? I seem to recall reading that prior to Kingdom's release date, yet few people mention that fact.
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #28
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye

*That said, didn't he actually help write the dialogue banter between Indy and Marion? I seem to recall reading that prior to Kingdom's release date, yet few people mention that fact.

I believe David Koepp talked with Larry and consulted with him on the dialogue between the two but didn't actually write any of it. There was a quote somewhere but I'm too lazy to find it right now.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #29
Montana Smith
IndyFan

They all say they want a piece of the cake.

But Lucas isn't into baking any more.

(Butchery is more his thing now).
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #30
Grizzlor
IndyFan

Lucas I think is doing nothing on the film at all. I just don't think it's going to happen. He's a complete creative black hole.
Grizzlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:40 AM   #31
Olliana
IndyFan

Well let's just wait and see...
Olliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:17 AM   #32
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy's brother
LINK

Discuss.
Funny that, 1 week ago, Randy Flagg posted the same article in the "General Indy 5 Thread" and nobody has posted there since then!
Quote:
Hate to be even more cynical, but remember this man made Dreamcatcher so its not like his career is infallible...
That's true. "Dreamcatcher" started out great but the story went downhill very quickly. Even so, I would like it if Larry had a go at Indy 5.
Quote:
It gets mentioned here at The Raven from time to time but you're right that many people are probably unware of Kasdan's involvement.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #33
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Funny that, 1 week ago, Randy Flagg posted the same article in the "General Indy 5 Thread" and nobody has posted there since then!

Yeah, but since this isn't really Indy 5 news, but just the wistful musing of Kasdan on the matter, I figured it needed it's own thread. Since no one has responded to Randy's post there, And members have posted here, I guess I was right.
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #34
Crack that whip
IndyFan

Quote:
Yeah but in that interview, he says he's not fond of writing sequels. He may have written Return of the Jedi, but seeing how it isn't as well regarded as Empire, that probably hurts the possibility of him returning to Indy.

He co-scripted both Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars - Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, actually, and Empire is certainly very well regarded indeed - generally as one of the very few sequels that surpass an already-great original, even - so I don't see that his experience on those necessarily hurts anything (for that matter, Jedi is still generally much better-regarded than the prequels).
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #35
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy's brother
Yeah, but since this isn't really Indy 5 news, but just the wistful musing of Kasdan on the matter, I figured it needed it's own thread. Since no one has responded to Randy's post there, And members have posted here, I guess I was right.
Don't get me wrong, Indy's Bro'. I was just (obliquely) trying to point out that the "General Indy 5 Thread" is near dead.

Georgie, Stevie & Larry need to sit down and have another 5-day brainstorming session like they did back in January 1978!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #36
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack that whip
He co-scripted both Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars - Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, actually, and Empire is certainly very well regarded indeed - generally as one of the very few sequels that surpass an already-great original, even - so I don't see that his experience on those necessarily hurts anything (for that matter, Jedi is still generally much better-regarded than the prequels).

Empire was my favourite Star Wars movie. It had a tone that I'd have been happier seeing in Indy 4.

And pre-Endor Jedi was a fine continuation.

Ewoks...

Indy goodness lasted a few years longer than Star Wars goodness (all the way up until 1989!)
Old 04-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #37
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Now lets say if this was to happen, I'd be all about it... really. Kasdan likes to explore things.
I'm sure that he has a different perspective on Indy than any of us do, since he really was there at his birth before there were any preconceived notions about what Indiana Jones is and conjures in us...
which brings me to think that he would take the story in a direction we wouldn't be expecting and would indeed catch a lot of flak from folks who thought it should have been more like Raiders...
He has said himself that he's not much of a rehash man. I'd be all for Kasdan, but I think people would expect him to write another Raiders when in fact he would deliver something quite different. So I can see why he's hesitant.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #38
Randy_Flagg
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo
Now lets say if this was to happen, I'd be all about it... really. Kasdan likes to explore things.
I'm sure that he has a different perspective on Indy than any of us do, since he really was there at his birth before there were any preconceived notions about what Indiana Jones is and conjures in us...
which brings me to think that he would take the story in a direction we wouldn't be expecting and would indeed catch a lot of flak from folks who thought it should have been more like Raiders...
He has said himself that he's not much of a rehash man. I'd be all for Kasdan, but I think people would expect him to write another Raiders when in fact he would deliver something quite different. So I can see why he's hesitant.

Good point. Empire Strikes Back, for example, did not at all follow in the pattern of A New Hope (or Star Wars, as it was known at the time.) The story structure was entirely different, and I think that was actually a good thing.
One problem I had with KOTCS is that it felt like it was trying too hard to fit into the formular used by Raiders and Last Crusade. I guess, after a 19 year absence, maybe Lucas & Co thought it was best to go with a tried & proven formula, particularly after some fans balked at Temple of Doom for attempting something new. The problem is, if you're going to basically rehash a previous movie, you'd better make sure you improve upon it, and KOTCS failed to do that. It followed Raiders' structure almost perfectly, but it often felt like a cheap imitation.

For a fifth Indy (in the unlikely event that it ever happens), I really think that they'd be better off NOT trying to follow the standard formula again. Raiders did it just about perfectly, so now try something new. Kasdan could be the right man for that job. But, as you said, would fans accept an Indy movie that really tries to do something different? I don't know. I think if it's a good movie, they will, just as they accepted Empire Strikes Back despite the fact that it felt nothing like A New Hope.
Randy_Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #39
Hanselation
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Flagg
For a fifth Indy (in the unlikely event that it ever happens), I really think that they'd be better off NOT trying to follow the standard formula again. Raiders did it just about perfectly, so now try something new. Kasdan could be the right man for that job. But, as you said, would fans accept an Indy movie that really tries to do something different? I don't know. I think if it's a good movie, they will, just as they accepted Empire Strikes Back despite the fact that it felt nothing like A New Hope.

In my mind you're right:
If I want to see Rotla, I will watch Raiders. (The fantastic original)
If I want to see ToD, I'll see ToD. (my favorite, very different to raiders)
If I would like to see LC, I'll take the LC DVD and watch it.(which already follows a similar raiders formula).
If I want to see KotCS, I'll take the KotCS-Blu Ray (which feels part time like a bad copy of Rotla) .

But at least, I'll would like to see Indy 5 with a different concept - like they did it with ToD - just covering the basics like: Indiana Jones - Adventure - Stunts - Myth - Action funded archeology.
Hanselation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #40
Toht's Arm
IndyFan

I agree that not being fanatical about sticking the formula would be a good thing. Let the story develop organically instead of worrying about standard scenes appearing at certain points throughout the movie. ToD is great in that regard - one event leads to another and the movie never gets boring. Hopefully Kasdan wouldn't simply start with a list of Indy "must-haves", like a vehicular chase, a university scene and the villain getting fried by the artifact at the end - just let the narrative dictate what happens.
Toht's Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #41
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack that whip

Um...what I meant was Return of the Jedi was the first time he revisited a story he already wrote. He didn't write Star Wars, so even though Empire was a sequel, he was still coming into it fresh and wrote it as if it were a original story. As a result, he brought a breathe of fresh air to the Star Wars franchise that might not have been in Empire otherwise. He wrote ROTJ, but it wasn't considered as good as the previous two by many, which probably help cement Kasdan's feelings about writing sequels.

Frankly, in the article above, Kasdam sums up the problem the Indiana Jones franchise has had since Temple: Lucas and Spielberg accomplished everything they intended of Indiana Jones with Raiders, and much more. So it's pretty challenging to find new material they can use for this world, let alone to coming close to topping Raiders.
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #42
IndyForever
IndyFan

Until/when/if Lucas does the draft nothing else will happen & after the way he got hassled few weeks by some dorks with a video camera after leaving a restaurant with his daughter you have to wonder if he will even bother.......
IndyForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #43
Randy_Flagg
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toht's Arm
I agree that not being fanatical about sticking the formula would be a good thing. Let the story develop organically instead of worrying about standard scenes appearing at certain points throughout the movie. ToD is great in that regard - one event leads to another and the movie never gets boring. Hopefully Kasdan wouldn't simply start with a list of Indy "must-haves", like a vehicular chase, a university scene and the villain getting fried by the artifact at the end - just let the narrative dictate what happens.

Yup.
I would say NO university scene at all, unless it's presented in a very different way. We certainly don't need to see Indy teaching his class and then being interrupted by the dean again (actually, Indy is the dean now, so I could almost see them doing the scene in reverse-- Indy interrupting a new teacher. But that, again is too similar, and would feel like a hokey wink at the audience.) If the university is going to be in the movie at all, then do something entirely new, like have the villains raiding its archives for some notes that Indy had made about the location of a certain artifact.

And let the ending be something new. I LOVED the ending to TOD. It was totally unlike Raiders, and to this day, it remains my favorite ending of all the Indy movies-- it's non-stop action, with Indy playing the key role in everything that's happening. He's not a bystander watching some supernatural power destroy the villains.
Randy_Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #44
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyForever
Until/when/if Lucas does the draft nothing else will happen & after the way he got hassled few weeks by some dorks with a video camera after leaving a restaurant with his daughter you have to wonder if he will even bother.......

What? When did this happen? He was hassled with one of his daughters? Link/video?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #45
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Georgie, Stevie & Larry need to sit down and have another 5-day brainstorming session like they did back in January 1978!

You're onto something.

They should sit down in one of the screening rooms at Skywalker Ranch and watch (in this order): (1) The Big Chill, (2) Kingdom of the Crystal Skull -- and (3) The Game of Thrones [a serial that knows a thing or two about how to end things for major characters (note the plural)].

Then they should adjourn to the library, grab some legal pads, plug in some serious Trent Reznor -- and start work . . . and to Hell with the Macguffin!

Recently in an article Joss Whedon discussed the challenges of having to maintain continuity with the other recent Marvel films in making The Avengers and in the end he noted that there were as many gifts as challenges. I think that's the case with Indiana Jones. Lucas, Spielberg, Ford and Kasden are all getting older and they are all smart enough to realize that the real challenge is knowing how to end a story. I think there's a fantastic ending story for Indiana Jones post KotCS. I'd take that challenge -- Marion, Mutt, old age and all. And so should the powers that be. What a chance to make a statement. I bet Kasden looks at some of his past work like the Big Chill and sees it as embarrassing naval gazing -- and I bet Lucas and Spielberg look at KotCS and see it for what it is (at least we know Spielberg does) -- and I'd hope they are at a stage of life -- with the kids grown up -- where they'd want to make a statement that means something. Who knows, it's been done before (Clint Eastwood).

Just wishful thinking.
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:08 AM   #46
Olliana
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Flagg
Yup.
I would say NO university scene at all, unless it's presented in a very different way. We certainly don't need to see Indy teaching his class and then being interrupted by the dean again (actually, Indy is the dean now, so I could almost see them doing the scene in reverse-- Indy interrupting a new teacher. But that, again is too similar, and would feel like a hokey wink at the audience.)

That could work if they do it like FoA, Indy interrupting a good friends's dia presentation or something. Or we finally get to see Marcus' museum Indy talks about all the time, and he's lecturing something. And finally LC's dialogue would make further sense:
INDY: That belongs in a museum! -- PANAMA HAT: So do you!
Olliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:35 AM   #47
replican't

He's welcome to write it. Just dont ever film it, please.
replican't is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #48
Montana Smith
IndyFan

My greatest fear:

Old 04-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #49
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

I'm curious as to whether Kasdan was approached for Crystal Skull.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #50
Pale Horse

Key phrase in the article...

IF APPROACHED.

I mean, who wouldn't want to pen Indy V if approached...?
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote