What percentage of Indy movie fans likes the Young Indy series?

Stoo

Indy Croft said:
young indy was good but why always about western history? It always showed beauty of Europe and not the natural beauty in the Orient.
That's not true at all. Non-western countries and their culture/history were very present throughout the entire series.
Along with this list below, there were also some planned epsiodes for Jerusalem, Tokyo and India (for a 3rd time).
Plus, it's not a Bollywood or Shaw Bros. production.

The Orient:
China
India (twice)
Java
New Guinea

Middle East:
Palestine
Turkey

Africa:
Egypt (three times)
the area of modern-day Kenya (twice)
The Congo
Gabon
Morocco (twice)

I don't know if you've heard of Deepha Mehta. She is an Indian who emigrated to Canada and has directed many films including her acclaimed trilogy
"Fire", "Earth" and "Water". She also directed the Benares chapter of "Journey of Radiance" and the Greece episode in "Travels With Father" which are
two, very fine pieces. Didn't you watch "Journey of Radiance" and "Peacock's Eye"?

Indy Croft said:
Also Indy is portrayed a a playboy, hanging out with about 20 women in just 5 years and having sex with a women who's like 15 years older than him in France. That's what messed up the series i think.
He has a different woman in each of the original movies and this is no different. 20 women in those particular 5 years is totally believable.

Indy Croft

Stoo said:
That's not true at all. Non-western countries and their culture/history were very present throughout the entire series.
Along with this list below, there were also some planned epsiodes for Jerusalem, Tokyo and India (for a 3rd time).

The Orient:
China
India (twice)
Java
New Guinea

Middle East:
Palestine
Turkey

Africa:
Egypt (three times)
The Congo
Gabon
Morocco (twice)

I don't know if you've heard of Deepha Mehta. She is an Indian who emigrated to Canada and has directed many films including her acclaimed trilogy
"Fire", "Earth" and "Water". She also directed the Benares chapter of "Journey of Radiance" and the Greece episode in "Travels With Father" which are
two, very fine pieces. Didn't you watch "Journey of Radiance" and "Peacock's Eye"?

He has a different woman in each of the original movies and this is no different. 20 women in those particular 5 years is totally believable.

Deepha Mehta I know her, I'm a foreigner living in India and I have been here for 4 years. I saw water in my english class in my international school. But I never knew she directed a few episodes. And yes i have seen those episodes. But in Indy's teenage years, whenever he's having a romentic moment with his new gf, to add the romentic mood, they show the beauty of Europe. That's what i didn't like and it's usually deals with western history. He may have visited the orient but always, people of the orient are portrayed as villains as in any other hollywood films.

They're hardly treated as villians, Krishnamurti can't be considered a villian, in fact that episode, Journey of Radiance, deals with the major religions in a very fair balanced way that is very very rare for American primetime television. In the Chinese part of the episode too, its Anna Jones distrust of Chinese medicine that is reveled to be at fault, not the Chinese medicine or the family they are staying with. Again, in no way villians.

If the show concentrated on European history during the Flannery years it is simply because the narrative of the show saw the character taking part in the first world war, the primary battles of which were fought in western Europe. Even so we were still allowed a glimpse into the Africa yearning for independence with sergeant bartlamas character in 'Ogana giver and taker of life'

Also as stoo mentioned there were episodes planned on Gandhi and Cuba, so if the show had continued beyond the war years...

phantom train

Hey, just wanted to mention that I'm both a huge fan of the IJ films (all four), and also a huge fan of the YIJC. I also wanted to say that it's difficult if not impossible to compare the films to the show. While the IJ films are action-packed adventures with a self-contained story that lasts two hours (roughly), the YIJC is a much longer & thoughtful journey through the events and people that shaped the early 20th century. I think that one of the reasons the YIJC did so poorly when it was on US network TV is that the audience (at the time) expected the show to be like the movies and when it wasn't, they were dissapointed.
I see the YIJC as actually complementing the movies, i.e. you can see the character evolve through the YIJC to become the character that we see in the films.

Jorbex

I'm a great fan of YIJC; I saw them on TV when they first came out (I was a teenager), and I enjoyed them inmensley. They're a whole different animal compared to the movies, but they're at least as good, in their own way.

I♥Indy

I love love love LOVE the young indiana jones chronicles, but sadly there are only a few on youtube and i BADLY want to see them all!! from what ive seen It's an awsome show and it does teach me about history, i passed half a social studies test just by remembering what i learned from the show. If anyone could tell me where i can buy the dvd's or watch them PLEASE let me know! :D
:whip:

dr.jones1986

Stoo said:

The Orient:
China
India (twice)
Java
New Guinea

Middle East:
Palestine
Turkey

Africa:
Egypt (three times)
The Congo
Gabon
Morocco (twice)

I did think it was a tad western centric, though they did make an effort to explore other parts of the world. When was Indy in India for a 2nd time by the way? I only remember the journey of radiance episode, they mention possibly going to India in the peacock's eye episode but he chooses not to follow remey at the end.

As for the women issue, he has several love interests throughout the series but most of them are brief and they only show him sleeping with two of them I believe...

As for my opinion on the show, well i love history and Indy so it was quite enjoyable. Not as enjoyable as the orginal films, but certainly better than any of the Star Wars TV shows. Overall the show was a solid effort.

Thorpe

Yes, I am sure I recall her name when I looked up Travels with Father. She does the segment where they are at the monasteries, right?

Stoo

dr.jones1986 said:
When was Indy in India for a 2nd time by the way? I only remember the journey of radiance episode, they mention possibly going to India in the peacock's eye episode but he chooses not to follow remey at the end.
I was wrong about him being in Indy twice. My mistake and thanks for catching it.:eek: (Had the unproduced episodes been made we would've seen him there again meeting Gandhi.)

Thorpe said:
Yes, I am sure I recall her name when I looked up Travels with Father. She does the segment where they are at the monasteries, right?
If you're talking about Deepa Mehta, yes, she did that one and the episode in Benares with Krishnamurti.