Indy 4 Deleted Scenes

DarthGemni

Not sure if a thread has been opened on this or not. If so I apologize, I have searched for deleted scenes but didn't find any thread on it.
Now, I haven't read the books or other material as I wanted to remain as spolier free as possible until the movie came out. Having seen the movie, is there anything so far we know that was filmed and not used?

I know of 1 specific scene - My son got a pack of trading cards and there is a picture of Indy whipping a knife out of a cemetary warrior's hand during the fight in the cemetary. The same image is also on the cover of the comic, and I believe it shows Indy practicing that scene in one of the last IJ.com web videos. That scene was not in the movie I saw last night. Which kinda sucked cause I thought one of the worst things about LC was his lack of using the whip. But anyway...

Also noticed some of the dialogue used different takes than what we heard on the trailers.

Dr Jones

Yeah, I was waiting for my Indy whip action at the Cemetary, but noticed that shot wasn't there.

And also, I believe there was a moment at Hangar 51 with Indy and Mac, where Mac is held to near torture/pain to convince Indy to co-operate, but I didn't see that either.

:hat:

DrHapgood

I just started reading the novelization and the first 2 scenes in the novel - Orellana's death and the Mexico excavation being attacked by the Soviets were both not in the film. Who knows whether they were actually filmed though.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Moderator Note

Thank you for searching prior to posting. Five stars will be added to your profile, for sheer brillance and courtsey.

deckard24

There did seem to be something missing in the film, but to be honest I can't pin point what! It seemed as if dialogue from the trailers was absent, and wasn't there supposed to be piranhas or crocodiles in a water sequence?

-Jones-

deckard24 said:
There did seem to be something missing in the film, but to be honest I can't pin point what! It seemed as if dialogue from the trailers was absent, and wasn't there supposed to be piranhas or crocodiles in a water sequence?

There were no pirahnhas or crocodiles in the novelization ;].

eroc

Did anyone else notice that "teacher/part time" lines were delivered differently in the film than in the trailer??

Mr.MojoRisin

eroc said:
Did anyone else notice that "teacher/part time" lines were delivered differently in the film than in the trailer??

I definatley noticed that, I loved the way he said it in the trailer, but it wasn't as good in the movie.

NamedAfterDaDog

This is my own imagination/fantasy, but one of the worst things for the movie for me, other than lack of whip action, was the lack of Dovenchko dialogue. As in, he had none. Toht, Deitrich, Chattar Lal, Vogel, all the villainous sidekicks, they all had at least three lines of dialogue, although none of them had as much action as Colonel D.
I would love to see more Spalko/Dovchenko dialogue, action, or communication, etc.

God'sRadio

Not deleted but included - I read there was no scene of Indy being scrubbed / decontaminated after the bomb scene. Was in the movie I saw.

ATMachine

In the novel there's a scene where, after Indy takes the crystal skull from Orellana's corpse, the floor of the cavern falls in. Since the cave is on an eroded cliff looming over the Nazca valley, the hole in the ground opens downward onto a very long fall. Shia nearly plummets to his doom but grabs onto Orellana's corpse (which Indy is holding onto in the cave above) and climbs up the armor to safety.

There's also concept art of this scene in the Complete Making book. Plus in the final film, in the very last shot during the Orellana cave scene, you can see the floor and it looks very loose, like the stones underfoot are about to give way. Spielberg lingers on the shot just a millisecond too long, and it makes me think that's the point where the scene was cut.

Also, some lines were cut during the Stanforth/Indy conversation at Indy's house, most notably the "Who will they say I was?" lines of Jim Broadbent's.

DarthGemni

NamedAfterDaDog said:
This is my own imagination/fantasy, but one of the worst things for the movie for me, other than lack of whip action, was the lack of Dovenchko dialogue. As in, he had none. Toht, Deitrich, Chattar Lal, Vogel, all the villainous sidekicks, they all had at least three lines of dialogue, although none of them had as much action as Colonel D.
I would love to see more Spalko/Dovchenko dialogue, action, or communication, etc.

I agree 100% - one of the biggest disappointments for me too was the lack of bullwhip stuff (I realize it's just a "tool" for him, but it's his trademark and IMHO it would be the same as a Star Wars movie where the Jedi only used lightsabers once or twice)...which is why I opened this thread, since the only actual scene that I know of that was filmed but not in the movie was the scene where he whips the cemetary warrior. Made me wonder what else is out there.

TalonCard

DarthGemni said:
I realize it's just a "tool" for him, but it's his trademark and IMHO it would be the same as a Star Wars movie where the Jedi only used lightsabers once or twice)...

You mean like in the original movie? ;) Well, ok, so that was three times, but still...

TC

No Ticket

Dust McAlan said:
See, I actually preferred how he said it in the movie.

Me too. I'm betting Spielberg heard fan's reactions to that... or more appropriately, saw that the way he originally said it didn't fit the context of the scene.