THE BIG BANG: Raiders story conference transcripts!!??

ronicle said:
Well yeah but who would want to discuss Indy and Marion's relationship being a "horror story"

Who would want to? I understand your comment looking back on something that's been established...this was creating that story...and what they had to do to make it compelling.

Spielberg and Amy Irving, Harrison Ford and both his marriages, Lucas and his soon to be ex.

It's how it turned out after all isn't it? 15-16 then 17-18? They only recently changed her birth date etc.

Indy and Willie's relationship was a horror show.

Darth Vile said:
Something we can agree on...
Cheers:hat:

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth Vile

ronicle said:
Well yeah but who would want to discuss Indy and Marion's relationship being a "horror story"

To be honest... even in the movie today, there is still a suggestion that Indy corrupted Marion somewhat (hence her anger, the fall out with Abner and Indy's sheepishness).

JerryKing

barbora.jpg

:)

Oh, and the idea was further developed by the wonderful Chris Columbus:

Indiana RUBS his jaw. STARTLED. Rebecca CONTINUES.

REBECCA
How could you?!?... My own
Mother?!?... In my own bed?!?...
(slaps him again)
I've had it with you! It's over!

(...)

INDIANA
You're writin' this down?...

CLARE
(nods)
I'm keeping an accurate record of
our journey.

INDIANA
What's that got to do with my
personal life?

CLARE
Evidence. I plan on testifying at
your child molestation trial.

AlivePoet

JerryKing said:

Indiana RUBS his jaw. STARTLED. Rebecca CONTINUES.

REBECCA
How could you?!?... My own
Mother?!?... In my own bed?!?...
(slaps him again)
I've had it with you! It's over!

(...)

INDIANA
You're writin' this down?...

CLARE
(nods)
I'm keeping an accurate record of
our journey.

INDIANA
What's that got to do with my
personal life?

CLARE
Evidence. I plan on testifying at
your child molestation trial.

Indiana's thoughts WRAP up. KNOWS the answer TO a PROBLEM and what to SAY.

INDIANA
They weren't you, honey.

Marion GRINS from EAR to EAR. BUT MUTT is suspicious.

James

Rocket Surgeon said:
The trascript attributes the conception of the saluting monkey to Spielberg, doesn't Speilberg say that was all Georges wacky idea on the Raiders DVD Extras?

We could probably chalk this one up to the three decades that had elapsed, rather than any conscious attempt at revisionism.

Lucas: He hasn't seen her in twelve years. Now she's twenty-two. It's a real strange relationship.
Spielberg: She had better be older than twenty-two.

What a great line. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Robyn

Rocket Surgeon said:
Who would want to? I understand your comment looking back on something that's been established...this was creating that story...and what they had to do to make it compelling.

Spielberg and Amy Irving, Harrison Ford and both his marriages, Lucas and his soon to be ex.

It's how it turned out after all isn't it? 15-16 then 17-18? They only recently changed her birth date etc.

Indy and Willie's relationship was a horror show.

Yeah in the novel she was 15, now they've changed her age to 17 when their affair began. I mean 15 is right on the line, 11-12 is outrageous ... all I can say is I'm glad they changed it to 15 and then 17 is better. But an 11 year old Marion with a 40 something Indy is wacked out

SterankoII

One of the great documents of Indy lore has been posted and this is what you guys have been talking about? Whether Marion was legal when Indy banged her?

Robyn

SterankoII said:
One of the great documents of Indy lore has been posted and this is what you guys have been talking about? Whether Marion was legal when Indy banged her?

No not whether she was "legal", I think 11 is far and beyond the issue of legal..

nitzsche

Yes they were. People aren't processing the humor they were obviously slinging back and forth. They were having a good time.

cdmeredith

I personally feel this is being blown WAY out of proportion. Around the web, this has to be the number one thing people are taking away when they read the transcript.

First of all, George Lucas was being facetious when he suggested her age at around 11. He immediately said so. These were people involved in creative brainstorming. They were simply trying to set up the conflict between the characters by having some unresolved issues in their pasts. They weren't sitting around with calculators figuring out the difference in ages. They were trying to give these characters a torrid history. Spielberg seemed to jump at the suggestion because this would mean there would be fertile ground to mine for characterization. Because the age difference wasn't so severe, there was no need to treat is as seriously in the final story as perhaps it would have been if she had been 11. (like the film Hounddog) As it is, it wasn't approving or glorifying of the relationship, it was merely presenting it as fact, and showing the consequences, most of which seemed to be unpleasant. (Let's not forget, the novel also says she went on to be a prostitute, and it ruined Indy's relationship with a mentor.) It made those characters intriguing.

So, in conclusion.

Yes, Marion was 15-16 when she had sex with Indy. Many, many kids that age have sex. Check out the statistics. Get over it.

Can we now stop talking about it?

There were more interesting things in this transcript.

Last edited:

Robyn

cdmeredith said:
I personally feel this is being blown WAY out of proportion. Around the web, this has to be the number one thing people are taking away when they read the transcript.

First of all, George Lucas was being facetious when he suggested her age at around 11. He immediately said so. These were people involved in creative brainstorming. They were simply trying to set up the conflict between the characters by having some unresolved issues in their pasts. They weren't sitting around with calculators figuring out the difference in ages. They were trying to give these characters a torrid history. Spielberg seemed to jump at the suggestion because this would mean there would be fertile ground to mine for characterization. Because the age difference wasn't so severe, there was no need to treat is as seriously in the final story as perhaps it would have been if she had been 11. (like the film Hounddog) As it is, it wasn't approving or glorifying of the relationship, it was merely presenting it as fact, and showing the consequences, most of which seemed to be unpleasant. (Let's not forget, the novel also says she went on to be a prostitute, and it ruined Indy's relationship with a mentor.) It made those characters intriguing.

So, in conclusion.

Yes, Marion was 15-16 when she had sex with Indy. Many, many kids that age have sex. Check out the statistics. Get over it.

Can we now stop talking about it?

There were more interesting things in this transcript.

I wasn't talking about the 15-16 thing I was talking about the 11 year old thing! I was simply commenting on something.. maybe he was kidding, all I said is that an 11 year old Marion with Indy would be outrageous, and that I was glad that they changed her age to teenager instead, I have no issue with a 17 year old Marion having an affair with Indy, it does make their back story interesting, I've even written fanfic on the subject.. I do have a problem with 11 and If they were just kidding I'm glad of it....

SterankoII said:
SterankoII said:
C'mon they were clearly kidding about the 11 part
nitzsche said:
Yes they were. People aren't processing the humor they were obviously slinging back and forth. They were having a good time.

So are we, kidding and having a good time. So get a grip, figuratively, and propose a new topic, once we've exhausted this one we'll move on. (oooooh, sort of like Indy:sick:)

I GET IT NOW! ...a COSMOLOGICAL Big Bang, not Indy and...

(just kiddiing)

Don't you agree it would be best to address this now and not let it disturb a later conversation? When it does, as is likely, you can direct them here to the dead horse.

Don't just complain...

jeshopk

Great read, guys. Thanks much to whoever unearthed this. Lucas had all the best ideas and veto power. Makes me wonder if the farting camel in The Phantom Menace was a suggestion from Spielberg... Honestly, Lucas seems to have been very focused and determined, as if he was imagining this character for a long time.

I am amazed that people are shocked by the age difference. It was all in the movie, so you have no excuse being surprised. "I was a child, it was wrong and you knew it." I always got the idea that Indy was a grey character with a shady past and some questionable morals, but in the end, became a hero. Plus, it was the 1930's and it was not as big a deal then. In fact I think Hawaii, the age of consent is still 14. Jerry Lee Lewis, etc.

Robyn

Rocket Surgeon said:
So are we, kidding and having a good time. So get a grip, figuratively, and propose a new topic, once we've exhausted this one we'll move on. (oooooh, sort of like Indy:sick:)

I GET IT NOW! ...a COSMOLOGICAL Big Bang, not Indy and...

(just kiddiing)

Don't you agree it would be best to address this now and not let it disturb a later conversation? When it does, as is likely, you can direct them here to the dead horse.

Don't just complain...

I was thinking the same thing Rocket, there is nothing to "get over", if cdmeredith doesn't like what some people are discussing then bring up another topic! Instead of bossing people around..

and btw what we we're discussing had nothing what so ever to do with teenage sex statistics :rolleyes: it wasn't even about whether Marion had teen sex, it was about Indy being with Marion when she was 11... but as many have already said, he was probably just kidding.. even through I see nothing funny about it, it would have been much more insightful to have listened to what they were saying rather than read it