8yr old b-day party

jones_bugg

I'm new here so if this is in the wrong place let me know. I'm posting on behalf of jonesgirl - her profile isn't working. She's throwing an Indy themed birthday party for her twin brothers who are turning 8.

She was hoping that someone here might have some age appropriate ideas. So far we haven't had much luck online. Our plans thus far are:

* train cake and pyramid cake both with fondant Indy figures
* obstacle course complete with booby traps - not sure what
* grail guessing game - the children will have to guess which grail is the "real" holy grail through a set of clues, if someone thinks they know they have to drink from the grail, if they're wrong they "die" and they're out of the game. At the end they'll each get to pick one of the grails to take home
* decorations: lots of cobwebs a kid's table set to look like the one at Pankot Palace (minus "snake surprise" etc., they're only 8. still considering monkey brains) and signs with inscriptions written in "Mara-glyphics" from the ride - hopefully not too passe for a bunch of 8 yr olds
* favors: "Dig-it" style excavation bricks with Indy inspired toys inside (make with plaster-of-paris and sand mixture), "grail journal" notepads, paper fedoras

We'd like to incorporate the famous boulder, but we can't figure out how. Open for any ideas on anything, particularly games and invites. We'll start posting pictures as soon as we got 'em. Thanks! ;)

Deckard

Well, I'm not entirely sure this is the right section.

Get something cool, like a cheap Idol prop, something they will recognize. Heck, you could use an action figure. Hide it, and give the kids all kinds of clues to help them find it. First one to solve it would get to the prize first and win it. A little treasure hunt sort of game. Good luck.

Deckard

jones_bugg said:
We'd like to incorporate the famous boulder, but we can't figure out how. Open for any ideas on anything, particularly games and invites. We'll start posting pictures as soon as we got 'em. Thanks! ;)

Goto walmart or something, Get one of those large rubber balls, I've seen them go upto 3-4 feet in diameter for like $20-30. Then use paper mache around the ball to give it a rougher / stoney looking texture and paint it grey.

You'll have a boulder that won't hurt anyone and can be played with.

jones_bugg

great idea for the boulder! thanks!! The kids can't really get hurt on that either.

If I need to move this, could you tell me how and where to??

I think the idol might be a little to graphic for a bunch of kids, but I'm sure we could come up with something.

Thank again.

Deckard

Np, one of the mods will move it for you if they want to.

W/ the Idol, You could always get one of the Disney Park Exclusive 7" Indiana Jones action figures instead. It's something most 8 Yr olds probably wouldn't be able to get on thier own and would make a great prize, One of these guys here will be able to give you the number to call the park and get one im sure.

jones_bugg

Also, I wanted to add that if anyone knows where I could find printable pictures that are appropriate, but not necessarily from the movies, it would be much appreciated if you could share. I thought it would be cool to add a few pictures to the journal notebooks as the kids probably wont get this one if i leave them blank. Coloring pages would be great.

Again, I really appreciate it.

Little Indy

Most of the Ideas I had have already been mentioned. Maybe find some old looking maps online print those out. Or in a pinch a teacher supply place will have some. Rubber snakes to throw around the place. The scavenger hunt is a good one.

I am also planning an Indy party (for grown ups though) and we are going to have a Nazi piñata! You can do something like that, then fill it with little plastic spider rings, tiny snakes, worms bugs, like from TOD. You can throw in the Hershey's Treasure Chests, Fortune and Glory, Gold coins Lao Che trying to pay for Nurhachi. We did an Osama piñata just after 9/11 it was lots of fun!. . . . . . . . . . . . . . maybe not for 8 year olds.

Let us know how it turns out.

MattJones

Deckard said:
Goto walmart or something, Get one of those large rubber balls, I've seen them go upto 3-4 feet in diameter for like $20-30. Then use paper mache around the ball to give it a rougher / stoney looking texture and paint it grey.

You'll have a boulder that won't hurt anyone and can be played with.

Why can't I be an 8 year old again and do this?

Actually, come to think of it, I think I did do this with exercise balls when I was 8...

Stoo

jones_bugg said:
* obstacle course complete with booby traps - not sure what
Depending on the layout of the house, if there's a long hallway:

-Hang some cheap, toy spiders on strings from the ceiling at about head/shoulder level.
The kids will have to brush through them. Make paper cut-outs if you're on a budget.

-Shine a light or flashlight in a dark hallway near a doorway. Someone can hide and poke out
with a broomstick (not too hard!) if a party-goer can't go low enough under the beam.

-Put a dark matt or carpet in the hallway as a pit they can jump over.

-If you have a tiled floor in your kitchen, cut out diamond shaped peices of
gray construction paper and tape them to various tiles. If a kid steps on one,
they get pelted with popcorn.

-Your friend HAS TO DO THIS ONE!
Get the BIG, excercise ball and some of that fake cobweb stuff. String the
cobwebs across a doorframe. Make it really thick. The kid can run from the
ball and dive through the cobwebs onto some pillows. (You might want to do
2 doorframes if it's a B-day for twins!)

Good luck!

fixer79

Awesome idea, jones_bugg!

I quite like Stoo's ideas... They seem relatively simple to do and I'm sure they'll be lots of fun! :)

Can't wait to see pictures of your party, jones_bugg!

Stoo

fixer79 said:
I quite like Stoo's ideas... They seem relatively simple to do and I'm sure they'll be lots of fun! :)

Can't wait to see pictures of your party, jones_bugg!
Thanks, Fix. Just thought of some more good ones.

-If you do the kitchen floor idea, the birthday kid(s) can run across the kitchen into
the next room while EVERYONE throws popcorn at him. (More stuff to clean up but fun.)

The next one is a little over-the-top and may not be a hit with the parents but...

-Hand out straws & tissue paper to all invitees to use as pea-shooter/blow-darts.
Birthday Boy has to run out the back door (with cobwebs) and all others chase him
out onto the lawn. Then he has to jump into the swimming pool (if you have one)
and swim towards a floating, air mattress! How freaking fun would that be?:D

Ska

haha

All of Stoo's ideas are awesome...IF it's not your own house!

What about a game with a variety of different "grails"...one of them has a sticker on the bottom that wins a prize. The kids must choose wisely...

Ginger

greetings! I am the artist formerly known as jonesgirl. I had problems with that ID and my former email adress. . . anywho. Thanks so much for all of your ideas, the party actually isn't until May. It'll be right before the new movie comes out (May 17) so it's really exciting for my brothers. I am definitley going to use some of these ideas and I'll be sure to post some pics from the party. Thank you all so much.

So far the cheapest way I could find to make grails would cost me $20 just for a few cups for the kids and one game, so unless i can find a cheaper way to make them that might be out - unless I decide to paper mache 20 "grails". I was thinking about making them actually drink water from the grail they think is the "real grail" and if they choose poorly they "die" and are out of the game. The person who chooses wisely would have to bring them back by pouring water from the grail on them. It's a swim party so they'll be dressed appropriately.

Thanks again.

Nurhachi1991

you could have a kali man sacrafice

but make it kid friendly

so you could make a jello heart put it in a pinata and start chanting kali ma kali ma........... kali ma shocktida and rip it out lol

The_Raiders

Nurhachi1991 said:
you could have a kali man sacrafice

but make it kid friendly

so you could make a jello heart put it in a pinata and start chanting kali ma kali ma........... kali ma shocktida and rip it out lol

Hahahaha, that'd be great, I'm gonna do that some day! :D

Ltdefense

I might be late on this, but a scavenger hunt would rock...hide diffrent indy artifacts all around the yard. Staff of ra, sacred stones, his dad's diary, crystal skulls.