My Indy costume on a budget

So, I set out to put together an Indy costume on a tight budget. I had to settle for close enough here and there, but in the end, I think I came out with a decent outfit for the money that I spent. Here's the breakdown of what I bought, how much I paid, and where I got it:
New Weapon belt, whip holder, holster, and bag: $60.00 (Ebay seller costumebase)
Boots - Used Rockport close enoughs, $20.00 (Ebay)
Hat - New DP Deluxe Wool Felt, $45.00 (Ebay seller horizon123-auctions)
Jacket - Used US Wings Lambskin Leather, $75.00 (a fellow Indy fan in Texas who responded to a want ad)
Shirt - New Banana Republic safari, $14.00 (Ebay)
Pants - New LL Bean dark khaki dress chinos, $16.00 (Ebay)
Whip - New 8-foot 4p leather, $27 (Ebay seller nevada1)

That means I paid $257 for the whole outfit, but I was also able to buy and sell some other Indy gear and memorabilia along the way and make $75, so in the end I figure that the entire set cost me $172.00. I still need to get a web belt, but they're pretty cheap from Todd's.

Please excuse the poor pics, I had to take them with a timer on the camera and in the room we're getting ready for our first child. Keeping in mind that this whole outfit cost less than $200, let me know what you guys think:
1stpics002.jpg

1stpics003.jpg

1stpics007.jpg

1stpics011.jpg

1stpics004.jpg

1stpics001.jpg

Indy Byrd

Lookin good man!! Nice jacket!! Really nice costume! Glad everything worked out good for you! Seriously it looks good man.

DIrishB

Nice job, man!

By the way, anyone ever tell you that you look a lot like Nathan Fillion (the actor from Firefly/Serenity)?

Thanks for the kind words, guys. And no, DIrishB, no one has ever told me that before. I'll have to check that out, because I've never seen either of those movies and I can't picture who Nathan Fillion is off the top of my head.

indyclone25

if your looking for a web belt i found mine at kohls dept store ---only 9.99 and i found it about 4 months agao so they should still have them in stock unless they go thru inventory so quick?

Thanks for the tip, Indyclone. I'll have to check out Kohl's.

By the way DIrishB, I checked to see who Nathan Fillion was, and I do remember him, I just didn't remember the name. It's an interesting comparison, although I personally don't see a strong resemblance.

Please keep the feedback coming, guys. I'll try to post better pics soon - in a more Indyesque setting, if you will.

Ghostsoldier

Robisindy,
That costume looks really nice; and I like the fact that you have less than 200 bucks in it! I'm trying to do the same thing...build Indy on a budget...and your success gives me incentive!:D
Rob

indyclone25

hope you don't mind if i tell what i paid for my outfit and hope i'm not stealing your thread if so i'm sorry

hat -----$34.50 on ebay (also horizon123)
shirt --- found at goodwill $4.99
pants ----also at goodwill $5.99
boots----- a pair of boots on found at a garage sale $1.50
bag---- i went to a army surplus store and bought a canvas bag not exactly like indys but nice tho ,( will have to buy leather strap) $14.99
gun holster--- online on ebay can't remember the guy--$19.95
web belt --- kohl's dept store $9.99
whip ----- 14ft---from ebay not sure who the guy was ( he was from texas) $14.95
jacket---- just palin leather jacket on sale at target a few years ago no front pockets but nice $50.00 ( hoping to get a todds for my birthday in sept)
stubble -----free
total is---- $156.87 not to bad
indycups012.jpg

indycups013.jpg

indycups014.jpg

indycups015.jpg

indycups016.jpg

indycups018.jpg

indyclone25

my sons outfit
hat ----my old fedora from 1984 ( with temple of doom inside) 24.99 (back then)
shirt-- goodwill 3.99
pants ---target 12.99
holster and belt ----19.97 ebay
web belt---- target 4.99
bag--- ebay 6.99
whip ---my old whip from the eighties--(bought at garage sale ) 5.00
jacket ----goodwill 5.99
boots --- goodwill 4.99
gloves --- menards ( like home depot here in illinois) 5.99
play gun ----walmart 4.99
total----111.88

as you can see goodwill has a lot of good stuff there

indycups019.jpg

indycups021.jpg

indycups022.jpg

Boy, your family pictures must be awesome!!! Really, you and your boy are looking good, Indyclone. It looks like you might have gotten your whip from the same seller I did, which is the guy who runs bulwhip.com. Very nice costume on a tight budget. I'm impressed!

Here's hoping you get your Todd's jacket to really complete the look.

Ghostsoldier

Man...this thread is GREAT!:whip:

Your son looks priceless in that last photo, indyclone...:)

Thanks for posting, guys....your costumes are awesome!
Rob

indyclone25

Ghostsoldier said:
Man...this thread is GREAT!:whip:

Your son looks priceless in that last photo, indyclone...:)

Thanks for posting, guys....your costumes are awesome!
Rob

thanks my son loves being indy --- he plays indy pretty much everyday

DocWhiskey

This is one cool thread. Here's my Indy costume on a Budget:

Altered Wool Crushable fedora: $32
Pants: $12
Shirt:$9
Gas Mask Bag: $13
Holster:$8
Leather Belt: $4
Web Belt: $6
Whip: $24
Todd's Standard Jacket: $150

Total: $258

Wait...$258?! That's not in my budget at all! Take it I spent that over the course of about 10 months. This is the most expensive costume I've made.

This is the only pic I have on this computer. My girlfriend took it last Halloween. I may not make a great Indy, but it feels awesome wearing the gear.
IMG_2258.jpg