How Indy 5 can preserve YIJC bookends as canon

OldIndy2323

Since Crystal Skull didn't contain anything in it that eliminated or contradicted the Young Indiana Jones 90's bookends with Old Indy, here's the only fact that has to remain to keep those 92 year old Indy pieces intact:

Indy has to have had a daughter born in 1958 (preferably with Marion)

Indy's daughter appears in two episodes of the YIJC; one with her 16 year old son (if Indy's daughter has a 16 year old son and is the product of Indy and Marion after 1957's KOTCS, her birth must be in 1958.)

As long as Indy 5 doesn't change this fact, 92 year old Indy will live on!

Stoo

OldIndy2323 said:
As long as Indy 5 doesn't change this fact, 92 year old Indy will live on!
Hi, 2323. Nice to "see" you again.:hat: I don't trust that the new decision-makers will take the bookends into account and am presuming this new movie will conflict with the daughter (& all the other family members shown). If so, we'll just have to fudge the inconsistencies.
Face_Palm said:
Hasn't he been removed?
Not his hands! You can still see Old indy's hands closing his diary in the last shot of every "Adventures of" chapter (same as how the 4 Family Channel movies ended). Old Indy lives/lived.

Anyway, plenty of other scenes were cut from the "Adventures of" releases but it doesn't automatically mean those parts have been 'removed' from Indy's life. They just weren't included in the set.;)

InexorableTash

At the very least, I'd wager that they're now unlikely to kill Indy off in the next one. Which at least leaves some aspects of the bookends possible - the 90-year-old coot can still be cavorting about Staten Island.

OldIndy2323

they DEFINITELY won't kill Indy off; especially after Force Awakens. As for his "final location" being Staten Island, I think there's still room for debate.

And good to "see" you again STOO as well!

Silvor

I don't see them letting a tv show dictate what happens to Indy in the movies, especially when Lucas involvement is looking less likely.

I really want indy 5 to not be just another adventure for Indy, let it be his final adventure, let it be about something important and grand for him.
Maybe he's dying and needs some magical artifact to save him and on the way comes to term with his own mortality or something?

I'm not saying I want him to die, but at least make what happens in the movie meaningful for the character.

Randy_Flagg

Since only old Indy's hands remain in the YIJC, Indy 5 can preserve the continuity simply by not including a scene in which Indy gets his hands chopped off. Don't screw this up, Koepp!!

Stoo

Ha ha! Nice one, Randy. Speaking of stuff gettin' chopped, one way to maintain continuity is a chop to Indy's face!

:eek: :eek: :eek:
SabreWound_A.jpg

Plaristes

We don't know that Indy's family in the Old Indy bookends are through Marion. He's had a number of other special women in his life, so it's possible his daughter was illegitimate. So, even if Indy V established that Marion died right after KotCS, the Old Indy bookends could still be unaffected.

Crack that whip

Major West said:
The YIJC bookends (bar the Ford one) aren't canon. (y) :hat:

They are until they aren't. ;) It's entirely possible the new movie will obviate them, but until it actually does, I think we've little reason to consider them non-canon.

Attila the Professor said:
Isn't Marion somewhere between 47 and 48 in 1958? I don't see her having another kid, biologically.

It's not especially likely, but it's still well within the realm of possibility (and on a list of things in the Indy canon ranked from least to most likely, I don't think a woman approaching fifty getting pregnant would be anywhere near the top, or even on the first page, if you get what I'm saying). Not that it really matters, anyway - there's always adoption.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Crack that whip said:
It's not especially likely, but it's still well within the realm of possibility (and on a list of things in the Indy canon ranked from least to most likely, I don't think a woman approaching fifty getting pregnant would be anywhere near the top, or even on the first page, if you get what I'm saying). Not that it really matters, anyway - there's always adoption.

Indeed, they've strained credulity before. But I also concur that there's no reason adoption shouldn't be on the table.

Incidentally, it looks as though in the late 1950s (taken as an average of the stats from 1955 and 1960), .13% of births were to women aged 45-49.

OldIndy2323

"Never tell me the odds..."; oh wait, wrong character! A surprise late-in-life pregnancy and an adventure getting to the hospital would fit in perfectly with Indy's already impossible life.

"it is until it isn't" is also the best way to look at all canon vs non-canon.

So, as long as Indy doesn't lose his LEFT eye, we're all good

phantom train

As one of the few?! who actually saw the George Hall Old Indy book-ends when the YIJC were originally released back in the '90's, I still didn't mourn their absence on the Young Indy DVD sets (released from 2007-2008).

I don't think Lflm. - and now Disney - think of these book-ends as "canon", but who knows...

Last edited:

Udvarnoky

Attila the Professor said:
Isn't Marion somewhere between 47 and 48 in 1958? I don't see her having another kid, biologically.

I'm sure he unknowingly fathered another child off a different woman from his past. Could be a duaghter, and perhaps this kid too will have been the foster child of a convenient and hitherto unknown college friend of Indy's and only know her own mother by a different name than Indy does, thus compounding our hero's surprise when his old flame's identity is revealed to him in an improbable face-to-face reunion!

A screenplay by George Lucas and David Koepp.

Arizona Smith

I have now come to the realization that Ford will be older than Hall was when he first played Old Indy. Will Harry now hand down a moral to a baked (and uninterested) hippie college student after one of his classes in the form of a tale of his youth?