TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #26
AndyLGR
IndyFan
 
AndyLGR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 837
The fact they made the 'artefact' to be alien and then to see them at the end with a spaceship just didnt sit right with me at all. It just didnt seem to fit into the Indy world. I can accept the fact hes chasing religious artefacts with special powers, but aliens and science fiction in an Indy movie I can't accept.

Couple this with the fact that story and alien macguffin seemed to have no point then the whole movie was on a loser for me.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #27
Cole
IndyFan
 
Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLGR
The fact they made the 'artefact' to be alien and then to see them at the end with a spaceship just didnt sit right with me at all. It just didnt seem to fit into the Indy world. I can accept the fact hes chasing religious artefacts with special powers, but aliens and science fiction in an Indy movie I can't accept.

Couple this with the fact that story and alien macguffin seemed to have no point then the whole movie was on a loser for me.
And this seems to be a popular opinion, and that's fine..........I just feel very differently, and I don't really "get" the criticism.

For one, archeology is not limited to just religous artifacts - so I liked seeing them branch out. I always appreciated 'Temple of Doom' for being different, and now I appreciate 'Skull' for giving us another different adventure.

This whole concept of aliens, Roswell, and their influence on ancient cultures is a very interesting idea and is very alive and well in our culture and folklore. Ancient ruins and old cultures worshipping aliens as gods seems very appropriate to the series to me.

Complaining becase aliens are on screen for mere seconds just makes very little sense to me.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #28
AndyLGR
IndyFan
 
AndyLGR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole
And this seems to be a popular opinion, and that's fine..........I just feel very differently, and I don't really "get" the criticism.

For one, archeology is not limited to just religous artifacts - so I liked seeing them branch out. I always appreciated 'Temple of Doom' for being different, and now I appreciate 'Skull' for giving us another different adventure.

This whole concept of aliens, Roswell, and their influence on ancient cultures is a very interesting idea and is very alive and well in our culture and folklore. Ancient ruins and old cultures worshipping aliens as gods seems very appropriate to the series to me.
I agree that they are in folklore and of course there are books and believers that go so far to claim the egyptian pyraminds and the inca temples were built by aliens. I have no problem with the fact that they may appear in folklore. And I know this next statement may sound daft, but considering I can accept an ancient ark with the power of God, a sacred stone and a cup that gives eternal life, I just think aliens are a step too far in believabilty in the Indy world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole
Complaining becase aliens are on screen for mere seconds just makes very little sense to me.
Thats an easy way to dismiss someones critcism of KOTCS that there are aliens at the end. Its more than that which makes me think its not a great movie overall. But the alien skull is on screen a lot, as well as the alien glimpse at the beginning to set the sci fi tone of the film. Also don't forget that the ending of a movie is also where some people will derive their satisfaction from too.

But its a combination of issues for me that turned me off KOTCS, I want to love the film, I really do and I think the first half isnt that bad at all, it just runs into problems from when they go to Peru where there seems no point to the skull or their quest, the story starts to fall apart for me. There is no sweeping scope to the film, poor character development, their relationships dont seem right and too many heros vying for screentime muddling through the final hour. For me the icing on the cake was aliens that appeared from the crystal skeletons and then flew off in a spaceship. To be completly honest I don't get the ending at all and still havent seen a decent explanation for it.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #29
Cole
IndyFan
 
Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 474
Well, I assume people don't like aliens because the whole alien thing is so drenched in our culture already, and basically has its own sci-fi genre............and people don't think it belongs in an Indy film because it is mixing genres.

Yes, it's a very valid argument to consider. I think it's why Spielberg and Ford rejected Lucas's initial take on the aliens in the mid-1990's. It's treading shaky ground.

BUT.....for the reasons pointed out in my earlier post, I think they dealt with the subject eloquently and in a way that was appropritate for Indiana Jones. And I'm not directing this towards you Andy, but to me, to dismiss the film on account of the aliens is an extremely narrow-minded view.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 PM.