TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Old 03-10-2008, 08:43 AM   #51
Darth Vile
IndyFan

NamedAfterDaDog,

Which TOD poster do you refer to? I thought the teaser for TOD was classic, but final release poster was poor. The TOD poster that ended up on subsequent video and DVD covers, IMHO, looks like a comic book. I'd be intersted to know if you have a different version...
Darth Vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:03 AM   #52
Zorg
IndyFan

Well that poster is just.... SWEET! Beautiful. Very cool. Very nice. That's the way an Indy poster should be. We got two beautiful Indy posters for KotCS, and that is just wonderful. Like it needs to be said, but... Struzan doesn't disappoint.
Zorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:07 AM   #53
foreignerfred
IndyFan

Like I've been explaining to my lesser-Indiana-Jones-fans friends when I try to help them understand what they're seeing: This is what will be on the DVD cover, the CD cover...and my pillow cover.
foreignerfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #54
MattJones
IndyFan

Location: Note about username: I made this back when we thought Shia's character COULD have been Matthew Jones. Oh well...
The real question is: is it available on StarWarsShop yet?
MattJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:27 AM   #55
Zorg
IndyFan

Come on Lucasfilm, give us the hi-res version already.
Zorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #56
martinland
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Ticket
The second was the whole "If adventure has a name, it must be Indiana Jones."
The teaser poster simply stated: "Trust him."
I like that even better as an ultra short tagline ...
martinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:00 AM   #57
deckard24
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmount
It feels... okay to me. I like it, but I don't love it. Somehow I think the original artwork Struzan may have turned in was better. Or, at least... I hope so. It seems, I don't know... majorly 'effed with by some Photoshop lackey at Lucasfilm. Just like Struzan's Episode III poster.

Some or all of the foliage looks like it was added later, especially at the top of the poster where it is completely black and there is no fine, penciled-in detail (it may just be the jpg compression, though)... the blurred foliage against the yellow/orange background next to Indy's head looks added and bizarre (what's the motivation for it?)... the left side of Indy's hat still retains a golden feathered outline suggesting the real yellow/orange background used to extend everywhere around his head... and the crystal skull feels completely out of place, like it has been added in over a typical Struzan sun disc (like on his Last Crusade poster). Compare the crystal skull here to the way Struzan depicted it on the teaser poster. It just doesn't look like his work. To me, anyway.

Hard to tell though due to the sloppy, pixelated, nearest-neighbor reduction of the image that USAToday did. I mean, look at the credits!

All this endless digital tinkering (if that's what it is -- I have no proof) is really sapping this modern-day Lucasfilm stuff of the inspired, handmade look the 80s stuff seemed to possess in abundance.

At least they didn't mess with Struzan's near-superlative depiction of Ford. Much better than the teaser poster depiction. For Struzan, I'd place it just after his Temple of Doom depiction and before his Last Crusade. Also... Ford running looks like it was taken from Raiders. Notice his bag strap -- it's underneath his jacket!
I'm guessing this poster will grow on me like the teaser one, but something still feels very off about them both! I'm really strongly suspecting some digital assistance for Struzan, and that these last two posters may have not been done completely by hand. Ford looks great, but you can tell Struzan shaved off a bunch of years in that portrait. The foliage and stonework of the ruins bordering the picture is very graphic looking, almost video game like, which to me hints at some photoshop work. I pulled out my two Struzan poster books and flipped through all his Indy work, and there does seem to be something different about these as compared to his older works. I didn't see it with the Star Wars posters, so I'm wondering if it's something new he's trying?

I'm just not as pumped as I'd hoped I be! The TOD poster to me is Struzan's best Indy work by far, and none of the posters since then have come close to it. I do like this poster, but to me it's in the same league as the LC one- sheet.
deckard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #58
bergstrom
IndyFan

I have to admit the teaser poster was better than this. This has been "interfered" with. Isn't it an insult to Drew Struzan if u tinker with his work George!!

Berg
bergstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #59
replican't

That skull definitely doesnt look like a real alien crystal one. Boo! Fake!
replican't is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #60
Echo22
IndyFan

Love the Poster - very traditional. The way it should be.

I laugh every time I look up towards the upper left corner and see that smiley face in the stone. Who is that guy?

Great salute to the previous posters. Also very Star Wars, Harry Potter esque.

Less than 2 and a half months, folks.
Echo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:22 AM   #61
jasperjones
IndyFan

I think some of the problems people may be having with this poster may be down to the quality of the image. I think the hi-res version might put some quibbles to bed. I like it but I don't love it...I think I'm a bit done with large floating heads...Absolutely love the image of Indy running form the natives and like the fact that the border is actually the jungle, giving a nice foreboding sense of adventure and discovery.
jasperjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #62
MattJones
IndyFan

Location: Note about username: I made this back when we thought Shia's character COULD have been Matthew Jones. Oh well...
Why all the hate? When did we become AICN?

I loooove this poster. The main reason it is not reminicent of the original trilogy posters is because of the overall locale and theme. Before it was deserty and doomy (how else does one describe TOD?). This one is all South American and rainforesty in theme. And I still totally dig the "Mayan" carvings...
MattJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:32 AM   #63
Tennessee Smith
IndyFan

I for one, think its a great poster. I like the black edges, it fits the 50's horror/ sci-fi theme Lucas talked about.
Tennessee Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:40 AM   #64
SterankoII
IndyFan

I think it's okay. Nothing will top the Raiders re-release or Struzman's TOD poster for me though. I like Marion and Spalko and the snake. My one complaint is the color pallette. I wish it were warmer and more saturated like the teaser.
SterankoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:41 AM   #65
torao
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones
Why all the hate?

Oh, please.... We won't go that way, will we?!

torao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:19 PM   #66
G-Man
IndyFan

Personally I love it. To me it's better than the teaser poster. Plus the logo is right.

Doesn't look Photoshopped to me, but then I could be wrong.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #67
Salacious
IndyFan

Eh...its an ok poster. Not bad, not great.

Kinda just tired of the same old kinda thing. I know it fits in with the other posters, but I was hoping for something different.

I like the teaser one though.

I cant really complain, because it does fit in with how the other ones looks like too.

The best poster is the TOD teaser and the Raiders teaser.
Salacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #68
Gobi-1
IndyFan

I LOVE this poster. The likenesses are perfect, the logo is perfect, it's just perfect. Drew's best poster since Attack of the Clones. I can't wait to buy it.
Gobi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:19 PM   #69
metalinvader
IndyFan

It's on the OS now.
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #70
Ska
IndyFan

Two thumbs up!

Looks great...thanks for the heads up, metalhead!
Ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #71
herr gruber

Best poster since the last one! Me loving it big time.
herr gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #72
Darth Bork
IndyFan

It's a shame the OS doesn't have a high-res version, I really want it for my desktop
Darth Bork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:15 PM   #73
-Jones-
IndyFan

-Jones- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #74
oki9Sedo
IndyFan

Thanks for putting it up in hi-res, Jones!

So is this the final official poster? As in the one that'll be on the DVD cover?
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #75
metalinvader
IndyFan

Wow,Looks so much better in Hi-res,Not that it didn't look good before.Outstanding!

Where did you find that?
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote