What was that? Clarification of dialogue...

nitzsche

There are a couple of lines in this movie that I still can't understand due to accents and delivery in action moments.

Perhaps others will find use of this thread to get clarification on snippets of dialogue.

Two Spalko moments for me right off the bat.

Spalko is fighting Mutt and they lock swords and she says something before punching him in the gut...

Spalko: You fight like a young man... eager to begin (something, something) to finish. What does she say?

Just before Spalko is about to ram Indy and company off the cliff, before Mutt swings in with the monkeys, the camera zooms in for a close shot and she says something to Indy...

Spalko: Blah, blah, blah, Dr. Jones.

What does she say here?

Thanks.

Michael24

nitzsche said:
Spalko: You fight like a young man... eager to begin (something, something) to finish. What does she say?

I think it's: "You're like all young men. Eager to begin and quick to finish."

nitzsche said:
Just before Spalko is about to ram Indy and company off the cliff, before Mutt swings in with the monkeys, the camera zooms in for a close shot and she says something to Indy...

What does she say here?

I think she's saying something in Russian. I actually recognized the phrase, though I don't recall it at the moment. But I think it's probably something along the lines of "So long, Dr. Jones," as she's about to try and finally ram their vehicle off the cliff edge before Mutt swings down and interupts her plan.

nitzsche

Michael24 said:
I think it's: "You're like all young men. Eager to begin and quick to finish."

I think she's saying something in Russian. I actually recognized the phrase, though I don't recall it at the moment. But I think it's probably something along the lines of "So long, Dr. Jones," as she's about to try and finally ram their vehicle off the cliff edge before Mutt swings down and interupts her plan.

That's what I thought she was doing in that line - making a sexual innuendo, but I had to be sure. I think she might say "fast to finish" because it doesn't sound like quick to me. I'll have to see if my brain and ears lock on next viewing. In any case, this is one of the best lines of the whole movie. (y)

And for the other, I questioned whether it was Russian she was speaking since it was more to herself than to Indy. It is probably a farewell, Dr. Jones remark.

Thanks

Michael24

nitzsche said:
That's what I thought she was doing in that line - making a sexual innuendo, but I had to be sure. I think she might say "fast to finish" because it doesn't sound like quick to me. I'll have to see if my brain and ears lock on next viewing. In any case, this is one of the best lines of the whole movie. (y)

Maybe it is "fast to finish." And I think somebody said that in the novelization Mutt actually replies, "You are talking about swordfighting, right?" after she says that line. Haha!!

nitzsche said:
And for the other, I questioned whether it was Russian she was speaking since it was more to herself than to Indy. It is probably a farewell, Dr. Jones remark.

Yes, it's definitely something like that. I'm sure somebody here knows exactly.

|ZiR|

Michael24 said:
Yes, it's definitely something like that. I'm sure somebody here knows exactly.

Has anyone provided translations for all the Russian spoken in KotCS yet? Search is turning up nothing.

And does Dr. Jones speak Russian?

Last edited:

Jason

Yeah, I believe he does speak Russian because of his younger adventures as a kid (Young Indiana Jones).

Michael24

nitzsche said:
Perhaps others will find use of this thread to get clarification on snippets of dialogue.

In that case... :)

What is it Mac says outside Hangar 51? I understand most of what he says, but there's one line he says where he then leans over to Indy with a smile and sorta gives him a nudge, and his accent makes its difficult to understand. I think it's the last thing he says before Dovchenko walks up to them.

Dust McAlan said:
I clearly heard "Dosvedanya, Dr. Jones."

Yes, that's it! I've heard that before. A quick Yahoo search showed me a result that said "Dosvedanya means goodbye." :)

Johnny Nys

Except it's two words: do svidanya

Mac's line, is that the one about "Bet ya $500 we make it out all right?", followed by "Better make that a hundred ..."?

Agent Z

Seriously, if someone fluent in Russian could, even down the line for the dvd release, provide subtitles, it would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

I have a feeling that the dvd subtitles will not translate the Russian, but just remark that Russian is being spoken.

What is it that Spalko says in the very beginning...when she stops Dovchenko from wailing on Indy as she is exiting the car? :confused:

Oh and the exact Spalko quote during the duel is:

"You fight like a young man:eager to begin, quick to finish!"

Michael24

Johnny Nys said:
Except it's two words: do svidanya

Mac's line, is that the one about "Bet ya $500 we make it out all right?", followed by "Better make that a hundred ..."?

Yup, that's it.

I heard the part about "a hundred," but didn't know what the preceding words were. I'm usually not that bad with English accents, but that line just threw me. :D Thanks.

nitzsche

When Marion is racing toward the cliff (the second time) and Indy is settling in with Oxley, does Mac exclaim: "Martha, slow down!"

It's hard to tell because Mutt, says "Mom" around the same time.

Rococo

nitzsche said:
When Marion is racing toward the cliff (the second time) and Indy is settling in with Oxley, does Mac exclaim: "Martha, slow down!"

It's hard to tell because Mutt, says "Mom" around the same time.

I just watched that section- it's hard to make out. I thought more along the lines that he was saying mum or maam- but I'm not sure at all. Anyone with subtitles to shed light on it?

Ska

Mac is referring to Marion as "Mom" also...just repeating what Mutt is calling her.

Last edited:

Rococo

Cool, thanks! That's more what it sounded like, but I thought it was a bit odd given the context :p

Marionfan706

nitzsche said:

What does she say here?

Thanks.
she say do sysvidanya dr. jones. I think it means say goodbye.:confused:

caats

well i think we've established do sysvidanya means goodbye.

one thing Indy says is the only thing i don't get. but i think it's just a lingo i don't understand, when he first meets Spalko "but the way you're sinking you're teeth into those wabayous i'd say eastern ukraine"

what the heck is a wabayou?