What did you think Spalko did...

Crack that whip

Chewbacca Jones said:
a phrase that suggests Indy villains are usually more grand, less... fuzzy (10 points for IDing that reference).

Willow, another creation from George Lucas (and also featuring Pat Roach). Where can I redeem the ten points?
:)

Sharkey said:
She used her arms her legs her style her side step her fingers her her her imagination. She made them see there's nobody else there, no one like her. She's special, so special, she had to have some their attention...

:D :D :D

Montana Smith said:
I never saw that version before. This version cuts out the bit where we see the cage tilt backwards and the victim is seen to be unwounded. Do we see his hand go inside the victim's body? It's too dark to make out. There's a squelching sound, indicating that they do.

THere's a bit more, indeed (as you've probably guessed from the edits in the YouTube video). In the actual movie there's even a shot of the victim's wound closing back up again after his heart is removed.

Chewbacca Jones

Crack that whip said:
Willow, another creation from George Lucas (and also featuring Pat Roach). Where can I redeem the ten points?
:)

At the Tir Alseen Antique Mall, of course! Everything must go, because we can't use it anymore. We're trapped in stone!

James

Montana Smith said:
It's interesting to hear that the rabbit experiment was going to be referred to in KOTCS - which script was that in? Is it in the novel?

So, you see Spalko more as a researcher/investigator into the paranormal, rather than a full-blown possessor of paranormal abilities. That makes her historically plausible.

But, should we read more into 'The Ultimate Guide' that Stoo quoted from: "Raised in a superstitious Ukranian village, where her psychic abilities led to her being branded a "witch...Her powers of intuition have taken her a long way from the experiments she performed on animals as a teenager."

It's in both the novelization and final shooting script. A still from the scene was also included in the trading card set.

No, I still view Spalko as a character with psychic ability. I'm just not sure how useful it would've really been to her fieldwork. The fact that she knows things "before anyone else" implies some type of precognitive skill other than telepathy. Perhaps she experienced frequent dreams or visions?

This could explain how she acquired the reputation of a "witch", as well as her high success rate in the military. It would not be something she had a lot of conscious control over in the field, but could greatly aid her preparation for a mission. (Who's to say the discovery of Hangar 51- or the other Russian crash sites- weren't the result of some clairvoyant effort on her part?)

I just think that introductory scene between Spalko and Indy was simply to establish the psychic nature of the adventure- as opposed to presenting her as a supernatural foe. One simple gesture reveals the Soviet belief in parapsychology- and the fact that Spalko may or may not possess a degree of skill herself- while also setting up the later interrogation scene between Indy and the skull.

Yet there's no reason to expect Spalko to suddenly have a whole slew of powers, such as a psychokinetic ability to open the hangar doors. (An idea that was often mentioned in fan reviews/criticism.) At best, I suppose they could've had her go into a trance to follow Indy to Akator. But given how determined Spalko is, it seems unlikely she would've relied on such a subtle method. Instead of viewing the tracers as proof that Spalko was a fraud, what if it was simply her "Plan B"?

Last edited:

Udvarnoky

James said:
Instead of viewing the tracers as proof that Spalko was a fraud, what if it was simply her "Plan B"?

I personally never viewed the tracers as proof that Spalko was a fraud, but rather as a really poor attempt by the screenplay to scrounge up some kind of jolt through Mac's final betrayal, consistency or logic with anything that came before it be damned. There were a hundred acceptable ways to explain how Spalko got to Akator from the conclusion of the ant attack, if one was even necessary at all. I do, however think that there was a generally baffled reaction from viewers over the psychic element of the story that this discussion is indicative of, and I think a much better handling of it would have really helped the film.

I get that Spalko being slightly arrogant and a little too sure of her capabilities is a deliberate aspect of her character, but I think it was important to establish that on some level Spalko genuinely has psychic powers, and the movie never actually does that, much to its own disservice I think. True, the fact that she's right about the skull's powers lends her other claims some credence, but I think the film's final cut leaves it way too ambiguous about whether or not Spalko was just some nutcase who happened to be incidentally right about this one thing. That's exactly why Temple of Doom gives us the sacrifice scene straight up, because it's important to the story that the audience understands that the movie takes place in a world where black magic and functional voodoo dolls exists and you can rip a guy's heart out of his chest and keep him alive. In that movie, Indy's stubborn disbelief is just a trademark of his character, but in Crystal Skull we really have no reason to disbelieve him or General Ross when they regard Spalko as a loon. In comparison to the equivalent scene in Temple of Doom, the skull interrogation is weak for what it's trying to accomplish from a story perspective, even if it's also an orgasm of great B-movie imagery.

Retrospectively, lines like, "The skull doesn't speak to everyone, it seems" and Spalko's failed attempt to read Indy's mind in the prologue are actually very important plot-wise, but they don't have the intended effect because the audience has no reason to trust a word Spalko is saying. (In the deleted scene, Mac's seemingly redundant line about the skull being "Choosy about who it speaks to" is actually really important because it's coming from someone objective on the subject, whereas I don't think anyone picked up on Spalko's line in the tent.) Temple has the pivotal moment where we're informed that the Thuggee magic can be taken at face value. Crystal Skull leaves you still trying to figure it out...well, 18 months later, and since the way the movie depicts the communication between Indy/Oxley and the skull isn't particularly strong either, it all just comes across as the movie wanting the skull's powers to be whatever it's convenient to be at the time - like impromptu ant repellent or a sufficient motivation for Indy to proceed to Akator. There was potential to make the psychic stuff work way more in the movie's favor, but by the third act the movie lost complete interest in going anywhere with it. For the record, I agree with your assessment that Spalko is intended to be viewed as having some real psychic powers. I just think that through weak writing and judicious editing the original intent was mucked up beyond recognition.

As far as the tracers, the real issue it brings up for me is the (intentionally?) incomprehensible arrangement that Mac has with the Russians. In the movie I saw, Spalko was cheerfully trying to push the car with Indy and Mac in it off of a cliff. Consider the ramifications.

Last edited:

James

Yes, I do think the decision to include the tracers was really more about Mac's character than Spalko's. I also agree TOD does a better job of using its chief villain to lend credence to the immediate threat. There's a clear need to get the children away from Mola Ram's influence.

However, where it fails to do this is with the actual MacGuffin. There's nothing to suggest the missing stones are actually in the catacombs or that their combined power will even pose a threat to the outside world. For that matter, how the Thuggees intend to rise in power using them is never explained either. (And when you have an army that's only as loyal as their skin's temperature, you ideally want to have something on your side more substantial than glowing diamonds. :D )

By comparison, Spalko gives a remarkably clear outline of what the Soviets believe the crystal skull will do for them. (And there's no way to miss it, because they even put a big, bright light on her face while she does so.) It even manages to be clever, in that it's presented as a force which could tip the balance of Cold War power away from the bomb. In this respect, it's the most palpable MacGuffin threat since the audience was literally shown the power of the Ark unleashed.

Udvarnoky said:
I think it was important to establish that on some level Spalko genuinely has psychic powers

I'm just not convinced that it was needed. At the beginning of the film, Spalko is unable to invade Indy's mind. Once she acquires the skull, she is. This provides a pretty straightforward example of what the Soviets are expecting- on a larger scale- that the MacGuffin will do for them.

Ultimately, it just goes back to what was recently discussed in a separate thread: Each of the sequels has its share of strengths and weaknesses. The only thing that seems to truly help a film in overcoming them is time. ;)

Last edited:

Montana Smith

James said:
No, I still view Spalko as a character with psychic ability. I'm just not sure how useful it would've really been to her fieldwork. The fact that she knows things "before anyone else" implies some type of precognitive skill other than telepathy. Perhaps she experienced frequent dreams or visions?

This could explain how she acquired the reputation of a "witch", as well as her high success rate in the military. It would not be something she had a lot of conscious control over in the field, but could greatly aid her preparation for a mission. (Who's to say the discovery of Hangar 51- or the other Russian crash sites- weren't the result of some clairvoyant effort on her part?)

I never suspected that Spalko was a fraud with regards to psychic ability - I think it was probably she who discovered Hangar 51 through remote viewing. The skull might not have spoken to her, but some of the other artifacts stored in the Hargar might have done.

She is naturally intuitive and is shown to possess a certain degree of psychic ability. That would place her into the bounds of real-life psychic investigators who make similar claims. She also likely caught Stalin's eye, as she stood out from the ranks of male investigators working in the same field.

James said:
Yet there's no reason to expect Spalko to suddenly have a whole slew of powers, such as a psychokinetic ability to open the hangar doors. (An idea that was often mentioned in fan reviews/criticism.)

I read that somewhere, too. Didn't viewers see the soldiers setting explosives on the door controls?

James said:
Instead of viewing the tracers as proof that Spalko was a fraud, what if it was simply her "Plan B"?

I wrote that the tracking beacons implied that Spalko's powers were quite limited. I think you're correct when you said about her operating better under laboratory conditions. Remote viewing techinques may not have guaranteed accuracy - and Spalko couldn't fail to track Indy. She employs any method possible. The ends justify the means, since she is a highly ambitious woman.

The beacons are also a plot-dveice, as Udvarnoky wrote. They serve to show Mac's treachery.

Udvarnoky

James said:
Yes, I do think the decision to include the tracers was really more about Mac's character than Spalko's. I also agree TOD does a better job of using its chief villain to lend credence to the immediate threat. There's a clear need to get the children away from Mola Ram's influence.

However, where it fails to do this is with the actual MacGuffin. There's nothing to suggest the missing stones are actually in the catacombs or that their combined power will even pose a threat to the outside world. For that matter, how the Thuggees intend to rise in power using them is never explained either. (And when you have an army that's only as loyal as their skin's temperature, you ideally want to have something on your side more substantial than glowing diamonds. :D

Whether or not Mola Ram's plans for world domination are just the ramblings of a "vivid imagination" is less important than the direct threat to the characters we actually care about, a threat which is as you stated clearly established. Putting aside the fact that I found Spalko's scheme even less convincing (at least Mola Ram's pipe dream is backed up by a proven ability to brainwash an entire kingdom and perform magic, whereas Spalko is banking on the belief that she can harness something that she apparently would never have been able to anyway), the artifact was ultimately useless in Spalko's hands, and she comes across as pretty harmless without constant guidance from Indy. It doesn't help that the threats she makes to Mutt and Marion seem to faze no one involved.

James said:
By comparison, Spalko gives a remarkably clear outline of what the Soviets believe the crystal skull will do for them. (And there's no way to miss it, because they even put a big, bright light on her face while she does so.) It even manages to be clever, in that it's presented as a force which could tip the balance of Cold War power away from the bomb. In this respect, it's the most palpable MacGuffin threat since the audience was literally shown the power of the Ark unleashed.

Yeah, her "outline" makes it remarkably clear what she "believes" will be possible...but I thought you were trying to illustrate a disparity between her speech and Mola Ram's?

It all comes down to whose hocus pocus you believe in, and personally I'll go with the guy who can make a still-beating heart erupt in flames while it's being held in his hand rather than the chick who never has one iota of success in communicating with the skull despite seeming to know every intricacy about how it works because - well, just take her word for it. There are scientists and dials surrounding her.

I really don't see how the Sankara stones being shown to: 1) destroy a whole village, 2) turn masses of people into willing slaves, and 3) give its wielders magical powers makes them less palpable a threat than a deity carving that ends up being a danger only to select bad guys, but threat is relative I guess.

James said:
I'm just not convinced that it was needed. At the beginning of the film, Spalko is unable to invade Indy's mind. Once she acquires the skull, she is.

It is my interpretation that she never invades his mind. She forces Indy to stare at the skull in order to create a psychic channel between him and the skull in order to interpret Oxley - she'd do it herself if she could, but it refuses to speak to her. While Indy's zoning out, she takes the time to tell him her world domination plans. There's no invading on Spalko's part going on here; she's an observer.

James said:
It simply goes back to what was recently discussed in a separate thread: Each of the sequels has its share of strengths and weaknesses. The only thing that seems to truly help a film in overcoming them is time. ;)

Each of the sequels indeed has its share of strengths and weaknesses, but it's the people watching the movies that change with the passing of time, not the films themselves. And somehow I doubt that 20 years from now the storytelling in Indy4 will be magically revised. Just to be sure though, I'm going to watch my cholesterol and see you there.

Montana Smith

Udvarnoky said:
As far as the tracers, the real issue it brings up for me is the (intentionally?) incomprehensible arrangement that Mac has with the Russians. In the movie I saw, Spalko was cheerfully trying to push the car with Indy and Mac in it off of a cliff. Consider the ramifications.

Maybe Spalko's ambitious nature gives her the self-assurance that she will find Akator with or without Mac or Indy's assistance. It may take her longer, but in the end she alone will possess the ultimate prize. Indy will always prove a thorn in her side and, sooner or later, he will have to be despatched.

Playing down Spalko's psychic ability allows the script to play up the mystery and power of the skull (and, therefore, of the inter-dimensional beings). If Spalko had exceptionally superhuman qualities then the skull would come as no great deal.

I see it as a world of as yet unknown wonder set against a grim cold war reality. Spalko represents the reality, with her powers based on those already purported to have existed within the Soviet psychic research institutes.

Udvarnoky

Montana Smith said:
Maybe Spalko's ambitious nature gives her the self-assurance that she will find Akator with or without Mac or Indy's assistance. It may take her longer, but in the end she alone will possess the ultimate prize. Indy will always prove a thorn in her side and, sooner or later, he will have to be despatched.

I'm trying to figure out though how I could make that work from Mac's point of view. That he drops the tracers at a point where he is with the winning team shows a real loyalty to the Russians, but why be loyal to someone who wouldn't mind killing you? It's not like Mac only cocked his gun when he saw that the Soviets tracked them down and had them cornered - he went out of his way to make sure they'd arrive. For what purpose, if not loyalty? If he was truly loyal to Indy or if he only cared about the gold, then leaving the tracers for the Russians doesn't jive.

Montana Smith said:
Playing down Spalko's psychic ability allows the script to play up the mystery and power of the skull (and, therefore, of the inter-dimensional beings). If Spalko had exceptionally superhuman qualities then the skull would come as no great deal.

The power of the skull is never really in question though, certainly not in the audience's mind, and it is a distinct reveal from both the inter-dimensional beings aspect and the aspect of Spalko's character that I'm on about. Clearly giving Spalko full-fledged psychic powers would have indeed shouted loud and clear that we're in a movie where the supernatural is possible, but we've known that since the climax of Raiders of the Lost Ark, so why would that have been a problem? Other than the very notion of the supernatural being a factor, I'm not sure what mystery would have been spoiled. Frankly, most of the "mystery" surrounding the skull that I wanted explained wasn't really addressed by the movie.

Montana Smith said:
I see it as a world of as yet unknown wonder set against a grim cold war reality. Spalko represents the reality, with her powers based on those already purported to have existed within the Soviet psychic research institutes.

And that's all well and good.

Montana Smith

Seeing the film as a contrast between a world of as yet unknown wonder set against a grim cold war reality, might help to explain the actions of both Mac and Spalko.

Wasn't it Ray Winstone who said his character was so mixed up he couldn't remember which side he was supposed to be on? Lucas and Spielberg are playing up the cold war sense of suspicion and double cross (even Indy is under suspicion by the FBI). Mac was motivated by money (as opposed to the upper class British who were recruited from Oxford, motivated by their belief in Communist ideology).

Mac was in desperate need for money to pay off his gambling debts (knowing Mac, who knows what dangerous underworld figures he owed that money to?) During the cold war, somebody with previous intelligence experience (Mac was OSS, Office of Strategic Services) would know who to contact with 'information in exchange for payment'. He has divided loyalties, to country and to friendship. His ambition for self-improvement proves overwhelming. He's caught between two dangerous powers (or three if his gambling debts were to some gangster). He has to believe that Spalko was attempting to kill Indy, not himself. Mac would be collateral damage.

That Mac drops the beacons when he's on the winning team indicates that he's still hedging his bets with both sides, or he's under pressure not to fail the Soviets. They would undoubtedly track him down later.

Spalko's ambition is far more focused. She is already Stalin's 'fair-haired girl'. She has proved herself in the field of psychic research, and may even have located Hangar 51 herself, through remote viewing. She is given command of a mission into enemy territory to discover the ancient knowledge that will give the Soviet Union an advantage. But, more than wanting to locate it to further her career, she wants that knowledge for herself - maybe in the hope that it will increase her own powers. Who knows how far she sees herself going with that kind of power?

James

Udvarnoky said:
a threat which is as you stated clearly established...at least Mola Ram's pipe dream is backed up by a proven ability to brainwash an entire kingdom and perform magic, whereas Spalko is banking on the belief that she can harness something that she apparently would never have been able to anyway), the artifact was ultimately useless in Spalko's hands.

Yes, the immediate, smaller threat is well-established, but then, it is in every film. The great irony of the entire series is that it always comes down to Indy needing to rescue a kidnapped victim(s), while the artifacts themselves are more or less revealed to be useless in the enemies' hands.

The Soviets "banking on" being able to harness the skull's power is no different than the Nazis hoping they can somehow utilize the Ark or the Grail. (In having to write themselves out of an obvious corner- eternal life for Indy- they even took LC's MacGuffin a step further. We're flatly told the Grail would be completely useless in the outside world!)

Regardless, Mola's threat is essentially backed up by a small Thuggee cult- one that isn't even equipped to deal with rifles. The threats in the other three films are backed by Germany's Nazi force and Russia's red army. I'd say there's a significant difference there.

(In both cases, the mere threat of the other country acquiring the device is cause enough for concern- as Lucas and Spielberg acknowledged during the very first Raiders script meeting. This is especially true for the Cold War era, given how critical a perceived stalemate was.)

Udvarnoky said:
I really don't see how the Sankara stones being shown to: 1) destroy a whole village, 2) turn masses of people into willing slaves, and 3) give its wielders magical powers makes them less palpable a threat than a deity carving

The first is just an example of what effect the stone's power could have on a very small, localized level. I'm not disputing that it was a source of natural energy- just that the power is never shown to have far-reaching effects.

As a result, they (both the Thuggees and the script's writers) have to resort to an entirely separate form of magic to carry out their plans: The "blood of Kali". This also muddies the exact method behind the human sacrifices. One could just as easily argue it was dependent upon hallucinogenic drugs, induced belief, and demonic invocations as the fact that they had three of the five Sankara stones.

Either way, it's still presented as a very local effect which must be carried out under very controlled circumstances. (And as I noted earlier, Spalko is the only champagne villain who is clearly shown being able to physically kick someone's ass. For ****'s sake, Mola Ram ran from Indy, feebly attempted to hide behind his own men, and fell off a bridge ladder! :D )

Udvarnoky said:
It is my interpretation that she never invades his mind. She forces Indy to stare at the skull in order to create a psychic channel.

Regardless of the method employed, the fact remains that Indy's mind was invaded by an outside force. Spalko fails to open such a channel at the beginning of the film, but is able to once she acquires an object of power. Such a demonstration would only bolster the Soviet's belief that they may be able to reverse-engineer it somehow- especially if they get their hands on "hundreds of them at Akator". (Again, a vague notion of power that is no different from what the Nazis attempted to do.)

Udvarnoky said:
Each of the sequels indeed has its share of strengths and weaknesses, but it's the people watching the movies that change with the passing of time, not the films themselves. And somehow I doubt that 20 years from now the storytelling in Indy4 will be magically revised.

I wasn't suggesting the films themselves changed- merely that their flaws do appear to become less important as nostalgia kicks in. The fact that we're even treating TOD's plot with this much respect and analysis suggests as much. It's a weak plot and always has been. So much so that many still view it as the least of the films- even after two more entries which can claim their own share of detractors.

Time has given way to a sort of unspoken belief that the original trilogy was comprised of three flawless films, all of which were hailed as instant classics upon release. As I'm sure you know, in reality, it wasn't like that at all. I would not be a bit surprised if KOTCS was viewed in a more favorable light 10 or 20 years from now- especially if it ends up being followed by an Indy 5. There are already younger fans on the board who have a clear passion for the "first" Indiana Jones film they really got to be a part of.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

James said:
It's in both the novelization and final shooting script. A still from the scene was also included in the trading card set.

Thanks for the info, James. Here's the relevant quote from the script in the link you provided:

IN THE BACK OF THE TRUCK,

The Crystal Skull is now in a burlap bag, cinched at the top. *

Irina Spalko opens the bag and pulls it down, revealing the eyes *
of the skull. She bends down in front of it and focuses her
bright blue eyes on its crystal sockets.

But it has no reaction. No glow. No nothing.

Oxley, sitting in the back of the truck, muttering to himself, *
watching the light dance through the trees.

She turns back to the skull, desperate. Why him and not me? She
lays her hands on either side of its face, leans even closer.
but nothing.

Oxley tries to reach for the skull, Spalko raises her hand to *
stop him. *

MAC (O.S.)
Skull’s got a mind of its own, eh?

Spalko turns, startled. Mac is grinning. *

MAC (cont’d)
Very choosy about who it talks to. *

Spalko cinches the bag shut. *​

83 IN THE FRONT, *
84A. 10/16/07
MAC
A lot of old cockswalop. People stare *
into that thing, work themselves up in a *
frenzy -- self-hypnosis, maybe something *
like that, ESP? I don’t think so. *

SPALKO
Telepathy already exists in man, in a *
lesser developed form.

MAC
are you kidding? You think everybody is *
psychic? *

SPALKO
You’re a gambler. Have you never played
a hung that proved correct? *

MAC *
It’s just luck. I should now mine’s *
usually bad. *​

She turns to face Mac. *

SPALKO *
We sent a submarine under the surface *
with a mother rabbit’s new litter on *
board. She remained on shore while one by *
one, the young rabbits were exterminated. *

MAC *
Lady, you need a new hobby. *

SPALKO *
(ignoring that) Miles away, the mother’s *
EEG readings showed reaction at the very *
instant of death. There is without a *
question an organic mind-body link shared *
by all living creatures; we must control *
that collective link-- *​

She turns back. *

MAC *
alright, (he touches her shoulder)then *
you show me. I bet you double or nothing *
on my fee- *
(looks into her eyes)
-- what am I thinking right now?​

He’s leering.

SPALKO
Much too easy.

MAC
Besides that. C’mon, amuse me. I’m *
thinking of a question. What’s the
answer?​

Spalko turns, raises her hand and looks him in the eye. He looks *
back at her, his usual leer at first, but as the stare goes on, it
fades.

Spalko’s eyes are intense, hypnotic. Beautiful eyes, but so cold
they’re nearly white. Impossible to look away from.
Finally, after a long moment; *

SPALKO
The answer to your question is, “If I
feel the slightest need.”​

She makes a movement with her hand under his neck, like a sword *
cutting his throat. Mac looks truly frightened, he sits back, *
silent.

Spalko turns around again, looking out the windshield. Oxley, *
who’s been following the conversation, looks back at Mac,
wondering what the hell he asked. But Mac is rattled, in a way we
haven’t seen before. *

That's quite a fun scene, but it also reveals something of Mac and Spalko's characters. His question must have been something like, 'Would you kill me?' That, in itself, shows Mac's state of mind in the tricky situation he's got himself into. It also shows Spalko as cold and ambitious. Whilst Mac is convinced she read his mind, it may have been simply her intuition - the way clairvoyants work on stage by teasing out pertinent information, and making generalized statements. Either way, Spalko is bold enough to take up his wager, and I don't doubt that she possesses a certain amount of psychic ability.

Last edited:

James

Montana Smith said:
That's quite a fun scene, but it also reveals something of Mac and Spalko's characters. His question must have been something like, 'Would you kill me?' That, in itself, shows Mac's state of mind in the tricky situation he's got himself into. It also shows Spalko as cold and ambitious. Whilst Mac is convinced she read his mind, it may have been simply her intuition - the way clairvoyants work on stage by teasing out pertinent information, and making generalized statements. Either way, Spalko is bold enough to take up his wager, and I don't doubt that she possesses a certain amount of psychic ability.

Yes, of all the deleted scenes, I'm surprised that one didn't make the cut. It not only addresses a few of the common Spalko/Mac criticisms, but provides a break between two humorous scenes (sandpit; family spat in truck).

Udvarnoky

James said:
Yes, the immediate, smaller threat is well-established, but then, it is in every film.

What's the immediate threat in Crystal Skull, again? Spalko put a sword to Mutt's neck; he combed his hair. Dovchenko put a gun to Marion; Indy made a quip. You never thought for one second that Indy wasn't in control or that the Reds actually intended to hurt them. Compare that to what the heroes' situation looked like when they first peered into the sacrifice chamber in Temple of Doom.

James said:
The great irony of the entire series is that it always comes down to Indy needing to rescue a kidnapped victim(s), while the artifacts themselves are more or less revealed to be useless in the enemies' hands.

The artifact is always revealed to be useless in the enemies' hands, but it isn't always true that the artifacts would necessarily have been worthless to them. The Sankara stones looked like they were serving the Thuggees just fine, and Donovon died because he chose the wrong grail. True enough, being confined to a chamber as the price of immortality probably wasn't what he had in mind, but presumably the immortality he claimed to want would still have been granted. The grail still "works," in other words.

In the case of the skull, it's only apparent use is to drive you crazy so that it can use you as a means to get back to Akator, and that's only if it deems you the "right kind" of person to communicate with, and Spalko doesn't even qualify. It's truly just a hinky looking paperweight in her hands, and if Indy had never gotten involved, the Soviets would have caused no harm and would still have met their demise. With the Thuggee cult, you're left with a pretty strong impression that bad things would have happened had Indy not intervened.

You can say the ark would have still melted the Nazis heads off with or without Indy, but the thing about the ark is that it was actually properly built up as an epic archeological find to the degree that you actually want to see Indy attain it for that reason alone, whereas the presentation of the skull's mythology is completely perfunctory. Similarly, the Grail find is rooted in a story about an estranged father and son finding each other. With Indy4, neither the thematic elements nor the characters engage on a comparable level, so we're left with "Because it told me to" as the primary motor for the entire third act. And that could still have worked if sufficient excitement had been mustered up, but it simply wasn't. Raiders, for instance, is pretty satisfying for awhile as a pure chase movie. Who knows how much it might have helped if Indy4 had, say, managed to make the Ugha's appearance into something compelling and fun?

James said:
The Soviets "banking on" being able to harness the skull's power is no different than the Nazis hoping they can somehow utilize the Ark or the Grail.

I agree with you, which brings us back to the movie relying on the immediate threat, or some other motivation, to make us actively interested in seeing the artifact out of the hands of the enemies. It doesn't matter how simplistic and ham-fisted it is in comparison to non-escapist films - Raiders of the Lost Ark made you love to hate the Nazis and want to see Indy come out ahead. Indy4 just takes it for granted that you'll root for the good guys and hiss at the bad guys. I don't argue that, on a high level, it's all conceptually comparable, but execution doesn't happen at a high level.

Besides which, the structure of Raiders of the Lost Ark is such that the supernaturally charged climax is supposed to work as something of a surprise. Sure, there's foreshadowing, but opening of the ark is designed to be the big reveal that the audience was not necessarily expecting. In the case of Crystal Skull, the audience is well aware that the impossible is possible, and given that the movie seems to want to be open with the 50s stuff given the prologue, it's bizarre why the movie is so slavish to the template of Raiders, when the story might have been better served otherwise. There's a reason Temple scheduled its equivalent of the ark being opened at the halfway point.

James said:
Regardless, Mola's threat is essentially backed up by a small Thuggee cult- one that isn't even equipped to deal with rifles. The threats in the other three films are backed by Germany's Nazi force and Russia's red army. I'd say there's a significant difference there.

Those difference are all theoretical though - how do we feel about the threat when we're actually watching the flicks? I would agree that the nondescript villains in all four movies are fairly bumbling by design, but when Indy, Shorty and Willie are captured by the Thuggees in the catacombs, they're in a pretty grim, however inevitably temporary, jam, and one that you're really interested to see how they escape from. To me there's just no comparison between that and the corresponding scenes in Crystal Skull when the heroes are "prisoners" at the Russian campsite.

Besides, you act as though Indy is literally pitted against the vast armies of entire nations in the other films, but those larger forces are ultimately as part of the background as the hypothetical armies Mola Ram hopes to raise in his long-term plans. The teams led by Dietrich, Donovan and Spalko are specialized, perhaps even secret, expeditions. The rest of the Soviet and German armies were probably, you know, fighting the war.

James said:
(In both cases, the mere threat of the other country acquiring the device is cause enough for concern- as Lucas and Spielberg acknowledged during the very first Raiders script meeting. This is especially true for the Cold War era, given how critical a perceived stalemate was.)

It's not the viewer's responsibility to imagine how imposing the threat might have seemed when Steven Spielberg described it in a story meeting we weren't invited to. It's the movie's job to convey that sense and convince the audience sitting in the movie theater that the threat of the other side getting their hands on the device is a cause for concern. For me, Indy4 utterly failed to sell that point, and I think the lack of commitment when it came to Spalko's psychic powers played a role in that. If anything, citing better elucidated explanations of these ideas in behind-the-scenes discussions or unused script ideas makes the failing all the more unfortunate because that just goes to show that the ball was dropped despite fertile material.

James said:
The first is just an example of what effect the stone's power could have on a very small, localized level. I'm not disputing that it was a source of natural energy- just that the power is never shown to have far-reaching effects.

Temple of Doom is by design a much more claustrophobic film than the others, and so "localized level" is kind of misleading, as the perimeter of Pankot is essentially the movie's world. Even still, the implication that Mola Ram went from being alone to successfully taking over the entirety of Pankot Palace, including the brainwashing of its ruler and even our eponymous hero is a pretty effective demonstration of the stones' power.

James said:
As a result, they (both the Thuggees and the script's writers) have to resort to an entirely separate form of magic to carry out their plans: The "blood of Kali". This also muddies the exact method behind the human sacrifices. One could just as easily argue it was dependent upon hallucinogenic drugs, induced belief, and demonic invocations as the fact that they had three of the five Sankara stones.

The "exact method" of the human sacrifices couldn't be any less significant, and no amount of hallucinogenic drugs explains what Indy, Shorty and Willie witness. I mean, there's no ambiguity about Mola Ram sticking hand in the guy's chest and ripping out the heart. To me that's part of the reason it was filmed as graphically as it was.

James said:
Either way, it's still presented as a very local effect which must be carried out under very controlled circumstances. (And as I noted earlier, Spalko is the only champagne villain who is clearly shown being able to physically kick someone's ass. For ****'s sake, Mola Ram ran from Indy, feebly attempted to hide behind his own men, and fell off a bridge ladder! :D )

Mola Ram being a cad is part of the fun of his character. Spalko was decidedly a different kind of villain, but I don't see how that excuses her from coming off as weak. What it comes down to for me is that Mola Ram, cowardly bastard or not, poses a real threat to the good guys, whereas Spalko, despite being more interesting at a conceptual level, is too undefined to be intimidating.

James said:
Regardless of the method employed, the fact remains that Indy's mind was invaded by an outside force.

But that was never my issue.

James said:
Time has given way to a sort of unspoken belief that the original trilogy was comprised of three flawless films, all of which were hailed as instant classics upon release. As I'm sure you know, in reality, it wasn't like that at all. I would not be a bit surprised if KOTCS was viewed in a more favorable light 10 or 20 years from now- especially if it ends up being followed by an Indy 5. There are already younger fans on the board who have a clear passion for the "first" Indiana Jones film they really got to be a part of.

It works both ways. I've seen people conveniently and condescendingly write off criticism against what they like as being the folly of blind nostalgia just as much as I've seen people stubbornly rejecting the new for being new and looking at what they've grown up with through rose-tinted glasses. Everyone is incurably guilty of both mindsets to varying degrees - recognizing that fact is the starting point for discussion based on reason.

Last edited:

Udvarnoky

James said:
Yes, of all the deleted scenes, I'm surprised that one didn't make the cut. It not only addresses a few of the common Spalko/Mac criticisms, but provides a break between two humorous scenes (sandpit; family spat in truck).

I suspect the reasoning behind the decision would have been clearer to us if we'd had the chance to see the film cut together with it in. Indy4 is a pretty bizarrely paced film, and that scene, however important it was from a story standpoint, may have exacerbated the issue to the point that Spielberg felt the excision was worth it. If that was the case, I'd still be more inclined to blame the writing rather than injudicious editing - the complete inability to present the exposition moments in very organic way is a consistent issue throughout the film. To put it another way, if the characters of Mac and Spalko were handled in a proper way by the screenplay, the removal of a single scene should not have been enough to so thoroughly gum up the works.

I agree though, that the cut seems misguided, as do all of the cuts related to Mac's character. This scene aside, his cuts basically amount to a line being lopped off here there and everywhere, which makes you wonder why they chose to lose them in the first place. I guess they added up when it came time to ensure a running length that maxed at two hours.

Last edited:

Darth Vile

Udvarnoky said:
What's the immediate threat in Crystal Skull, again? Spalko put a sword to Mutt's neck; he combed his hair. Dovchenko put a gun to Marion; Indy made a quip. You never thought for one second that Indy wasn't in control or that the Reds actually intended to hurt them. Compare that to what the heroes' situation looked like when they first peered into the sacrifice chamber in Temple of Doom.

Excuse me for stepping in... but I actually agree with what you are stating here. Although I think TOD is the weaker, I always perceived Indy and gang being in much more physical danger from Mola Ram than they were from Spalko and co.... and I agree that much of that perception is based on how they establish that threat e.g. the sacrifice scene, Indy being force fed the blood of Kali etc.

However, I find the physical danger that the baddies present in TOD gets undermined by both the implausibility of the situations and the plethora of childish jokes throughout the movie. The net result is that the "scare/danger factor" is localised to a small mid section of the movie, and is not maintained much past the sacrifice scenes. And as much as I believe Mola Ram could rip my heart out, I just don't get how he's going to achieve his ultimate aims (given the weakness of the Sankara stones).

KOTCS on the other hand, never really attempts to make Spalko or her cronies that scary or dangerous... but I do get what's at stake as far as the story is concerned i.e. a perceived upper hand in the arms race. I don't think the lack of menace that Spalko presents is a fault of the writing or editing per se, but seems to me a conscious choice on Spielberg's/Lucas' part to make them "light weight" villains, for what is ultimately a "light weight" movie.

Udvarnoky

Darth Vile said:
I don't think the lack of menace that Spalko presents is a fault of the writing or editing per se, but seems to me a conscious choice on Spielberg's/Lucas' part to make them "light weight" villains, for what is ultimately a "light weight" movie.

I do agree with this.

James

Udvarnoky said:
What's the immediate threat in Crystal Skull, again?

The same as it was in LC: Indy has to rescue a kidnap victim. If I'm less critical of how serious or dangerous that threat actually comes across, it's only because I never felt Indy was in any danger in LC, either. Once Hitler is trotted out for a cheap laugh, the writing is pretty much on the wall.

We don't actually disagree on KOTCS' flaws as much as you may think. Just on how important those flaws really are in the grand scheme of things. For me, an Indiana Jones film is kind've like rock and roll: If the spirit is there, the technical form suddenly becomes a lot less important. And regardless of how sloppy the writing may be, KOTCS is clearly done in the best spirit of fun and escapism. It's probably why the majority of critics didn't find themselves sharing the fanboy lament of, "How could this have happened?!"

At its core, I feel an Indy film's real goal is to simply be fun and imaginative. I'd also contend that each one achieves its intended goal- even if it's to varying degrees of success on a technical level. KOTCS may lack the pure action of TOD or the polished dialogue of LC, but where it succeeds is in its sheer, unbridled imagination. No, it's not a particularly logical movie, but it is quite a sugar rush for the right side of the brain.

Perhaps it just goes back to an idea you mentioned earlier: Which hocus pocus do you want to believe in? Mola Ram is one of my favorite Indy characters. Yet outside of the heart-ripping scene, there's just not a whole lot going on. Unlike Belloq or Spalko, he seems incapable of matching wits with Indy. He's constantly caught off-guard by Indy's behavior and has no real plan for when things get out of hand. (Toht would've just had his archers shoot Indy on the bridge. :D )

Still, you're willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, even as he fails to match up with Indy villains in other categories. But when it comes to KOTCS, you seem either unable or unwilling to give it much leeway- if at all. Or to come to terms with the fact that the screenplay wasn't up to your standards. Spalko may not convey true evil, but she does end up being a better fit for the overall tone Spielberg was going after.

If Mola Ram is a menacing thug from a Zorro serial, Spalko is better suited to a 1950s adventure film. Those films were more family-oriented and less concerned about realism than powerful visuals and dreamlike atmospheres. Lucas' favorite example of the genre is Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers. Spielberg's favorite is Invaders From Mars. Both of those influences are prominently on display in KOTCS.

Even if we could somehow make all the little changes and edits that have been suggested by fans, we're still talking about- at best- the difference between a 3 star film and a 3 1/2 or maybe even 4 star film. It was just never meant to be anything more than a fun, lightweight popcorn flick. The flaws may keep it from being a great film by 2008 standards, but they don't prevent it from being a good Indiana Jones adventure.

Darth Vile said:
And as much as I believe Mola Ram could rip my heart out, I just don't get how he's going to achieve his ultimate aims (given the weakness of the Sankara stones).

I don't think the lack of menace that Spalko presents is a fault of the writing or editing per se, but seems to me a conscious choice on Spielberg's/Lucas' part to make them "light weight" villains, for what is ultimately a "light weight" movie.

This is very much how I see it as well.

I think each film represents a slightly different tone and creative direction, but those differences ultimately help them to balance the series- and each other- out.

Last edited:

Darth Vile

James said:
We don't actually disagree on KOTCS' flaws as much as you may think. Just on how important those flaws really are in the grand scheme of things.

I think you hit the nail on the head there James. KOTCS is far from perfect... and I wouldn't necessarily disagree with the points raised by Udvarnoky. I just don't happen to agree (in many cases) with the overall significance of them, and the perceived net result to the movie (given the nature/calibre of the other Indy sequels in relation to KOTCS).

Last edited:

Udvarnoky

James said:
We don't actually disagree on KOTCS' flaws as much as you may think. Just on how important those flaws really are in the grand scheme of things. For me, an Indiana Jones film is kind've like rock and roll: If the spirit is there, the technical form suddenly becomes a lot less important.

I fully agree with your sentiment, so it's clear that where we disagree in our view of Indy4 is whether or not it does successfully capture that spirit. The individual aspects of the films are what we scrutinize and debate over because they're ultimately the only things we really can. How we really feel about the film overall and why goes into something far more intangible. Stating what worked and didn't work about the movie and why (often suggesting a degree of obsession that we don't actually have in order to stress our points), is simply the closest thing we can get to trying to explain our own opinions and understand someone else's within the limitations of discourse.

At the end of the day, you left the theater on May 22nd with a general feeling that you had seen a satisfying Indiana Jones movie; I didn't. There are a million little things we liked and disliked about the movie, but that fundamental impression is what it all boils down to. That gut reaction that we all have tends to be the genuine one that we can't change even if we try to. So while I'm right there with you when you say we're more alike than different, the "spirit" that you mention as though it were beyond subjectively is precisely what all of our arguments are about, and that's why they've all been worthwhile even if they've changed no one's minds. They're not supposed to.

James said:
At its core, I feel an Indy film's real goal is to simply be fun and imaginative. I'd also contend that each one achieves its intended goal- even if it's to varying degrees of success on a technical level. KOTCS may lack the pure action of TOD or the polished dialogue of LC, but where it succeeds is in its sheer, unbridled imagination. No, it's not a particularly logical movie, but it is quite a sugar rush for the right side of the brain.

James said:
Even if we could somehow make all the little changes and edits that have been suggested by fans, we're still talking about- at best- the difference between a 3 star film and a 3 1/2 or maybe even 4 star film. It was just never meant to be anything more than a fun, lightweight popcorn flick. The flaws may keep it from being a great film by 2008 standards, but they don't prevent it from being a good Indiana Jones adventure.

I find your logic here to be somewhat troubling, as it suggests that escapism, or a "lightweight popcorn flick" is some sort of flat-rate quality rather than a genre or form. It's as though you're saying that simply because Indy4 is an example of popcorn entertainment, it can't be called better or worse than other examples of the same genre. Well, where I come from not all escapist entertainment is created equal. You also make quite the ignorant assumption if you think that I wanted more logic than fun out of this movie. Perhaps if I was having more fun, logistics wouldn't have even had the opportunity to enter my head. Perhaps that's the head-slappingly obvious explanation that's being missed when certain people are accused by other certain people of holding movies of the same series to a supposedly different standard?

I'm similarly nonplussed by your estimation of Indy4's "unbridled imagination," but honestly if movies were supposed to get a pass on the basis of having imagination, just about all actual B-movies would be great movies. Furthermore, "a great film by 2008 standards," whatever the heck that's supposed to mean, does not have to be mutually exclusive with a good Indiana Jones adventure, but I think we can at least acknowledge that both of those are different, perhaps vastly different, things to different people.

Last edited: