Indy 5 news 2018

Olliana

Heck, even if they churned out a new movie only every ten years since Crusade, which is a bunch of time, we would be at Indy 6 by next year.

TheFirebird1

Olliana said:
Heck, even if they churned out a new movie only every ten years since Crusade, which is a bunch of time, we would be at Indy 6 by next year.
Sad, isn't it? Especially since we were supposed to get a movie by July of next year when it was first announced.
Three years is a long way to go. I just hope that they can deliver with a good film.

IndyForever

Dr.Jonesy said:
There is zero excuse for the delay between Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and a final sequel. Zero.

A sequel could've been done by 2013 at the latest. Everyone involved in these films always laments how quick and fun it is to make these films. Well..?!

We're 10 years on and nothing solid has materialized and is supposedly only going to come to fruition 13 years after the fourth film.

That's only 6 years less than the delay between the third and fourth films.

The Indy franchise will always be the red-headed step-child of Lucas' properties, it seems. Never getting any video games, merch or proper traction on actual films.

What a waste.
Spielberg & Lucas were both always & still are very stubborn is the waste of time!

If one disagrees on franchise direction the other agrees to start again on a new concept. Lucas will still be involved on Indy 5 if he hated the Koepp screenplay then that is why Spielberg has asked Kasdan to have a go instead.

Also I think Spielberg is very sensitive to fan criticism on Indy more than anything as its a personal franchise to him not just another movie. I hope the extra time is used to make 5 as good as TLC but as Disney are involved in paying all the bills I fear they will force broom boy from the end of TLJ on Indy at some point!

I would rather they cancel Indy 5 altogether :dead: than inflict broom boy from The Last Jedi on us poor starved of new material fans :eek:

Randy_Flagg

IndyForever said:
as Disney are involved in paying all the bills I fear they will force broom boy from the end of TLJ on Indy at some point!

I would rather they cancel Indy 5 altogether :dead: than inflict broom boy from The Last Jedi on us poor starved of new material fans :eek:

Your fear of Broom Boy is a odd. He only appeared in one film during the Disney era, and only had a very brief moment of screen-time in it.

Silvor

Randy_Flagg said:
Your fear of Broom Boy is a odd. He only appeared in one film during the Disney era, and only had a very brief moment of screen-time in it.
Yeah I agree, it was just a sweet little moment at the very end, showing that Luke's sacrifice actually had a powerful positive influence. Yet people are so up in arms I can't do anything except shake my head.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Silvor said:
Yeah I agree, it was just a sweet little moment at the very end, showing that Luke's sacrifice actually had a powerful positive influence. Yet people are so up in arms I can't do anything except shake my head.

I throw you no shade, Silvor, but that scene presupposes a LOT.

With one casual shot, we are asked to believe that the events on Ahch-To were known to the Galaxy in almost real time (the same aged boy is shown when Rose and Finn are on holiday in Canto Bight), when it's been previously established that Ahch-To was invisible for a long time. If no one was answering the call of distress from Crait, then why do need to establish that there is still hope out there.

It'd be a much better story, to take those last scenes with the children and use them as an expositional throwaway scene at the beginning of IX. Same exact scene, just cut away from the previous events to allow for a better suspension of disbelief.

_____

And remember, I love the Last Jedi. (but know it has flaws)

Face_Melt

Pale Horse said:
I throw you no shade, Silvor, but that scene presupposes a LOT.

With one casual shot, we are asked to believe that the events on Ahch-To were known to the Galaxy in almost real time (the same aged boy is shown when Rose and Finn are on holiday in Canto Bight), when it's been previously established that Ahch-To was invisible for a long time. If no one was answering the call of distress from Crait, then why do need to establish that there is still hope out there.

It'd be a much better story, to take those last scenes with the children and use them as an expositional throwaway scene at the beginning of IX. Same exact scene, just cut away from the previous events to allow for a better suspension of disbelief.

I never took that scene to take place right away, I took it to take place ?sometime? after. Essentially after news of what had happened had spead through the galaxy, which wouldn?t have taken longer than days or weeks presumably.

Face_Melt

Raiders112390 said:
TLJ sucked and was an abomination even outside of SW.

All actual verified reviews say differently. And no, IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes user/audience ratings are not verified reviews.

The verified scores are:
Rotten Tomatoes 91% critic approval
Metacritic 85 critic approval
Cinemascore “A” letter grade by audiences.

Again it’s fine if you personally don’t like the film, but to say it’s bad when it has that much actual verified acclaim is silly...they pleased the vast majority.

TLJ isn’t the prequel trilogy.

JasonMa

Face_Palm said:
All actual verified reviews say differently. And no, IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes user/audience ratings are not verified reviews.
But movies aren't made (just) for reviewers. They're generally made for the public. A great critically successful movie can still be a flop and somehow things like Skyscraper and The Meg keep getting made when nobody would suggest they were "good" movies.

That's probably why most years I look at the Oscar nominations and say "Wow, I've seen/want to see one of those and I haven't even heard of one of them". That doesn't make them bad movies, but it also doesn't mean they're successful movies either.

I question the idea that Star Wars can be successful by being critically "good" if the fanbase considers them "bad" movies. Star Wars was never those type of movies.

(And I also grant the online polling like RottenTomatoes leads to a vocal minority being able to tip the scales but I don't think you can look at the sheer number of people, including me, who had issues with TLJ and just chalk it up to that misogynistic sexist minority that has made the loudest noise.)

Raiders90

Face_Palm said:

The verified scores are:
Rotten Tomatoes 91% critic approval
Metacritic 85 critic approval
Cinemascore ?A? letter grade by audiences.

Again it?s fine if you personally don?t like the film, but to say it?s bad when it has that much actual verified acclaim is silly...they pleased the vast majority.

TLJ isn?t the prequel trilogy.

Reviewers are human and also paid ;)

You're right; TLJ is worse.

Face_Melt

JasonMa said:
But movies aren't made (just) for reviewers. They're generally made for the public. A great critically successful movie can still be a flop and somehow things like Skyscraper and The Meg keep getting made when nobody would suggest they were "good" movies.

That's probably why most years I look at the Oscar nominations and say "Wow, I've seen/want to see one of those and I haven't even heard of one of them". That doesn't make them bad movies, but it also doesn't mean they're successful movies either.

I question the idea that Star Wars can be successful by being critically "good" if the fanbase considers them "bad" movies. Star Wars was never those type of movies.

(And I also grant the online polling like RottenTomatoes leads to a vocal minority being able to tip the scales but I don't think you can look at the sheer number of people, including me, who had issues with TLJ and just chalk it up to that misogynistic sexist minority that has made the loudest noise.)

Hence why I included verified critic AND audience scores. Look again.

Face_Melt

Raiders112390 said:
Reviewers are human and also paid ;)

You're right; TLJ is worse.

Not one critic has ever stepped forward and claimed to have been bribed to review a film. That’s a defense online trolls use for a positively reviewed film that they didn’t enjoy.

I follow many critics who bashed a wrinkle in time and iron man 3 and were still invited to the next Disney movie premiere.

TLJ is a well made and more importantly well acted film. The prequels are far from that.

Dr.Jonesy

The Last Jedi - no matter how you slice it - has been slammed by the majority of fans/audiences. It's definitely over half.

The disparity between critics and audiences is staggering.

The negative reception was much so that it hurt Solo's success. Merchandise sales are also way down. Kathleen Kennedy may be going, soon.

The film had way too many standard, avoidable film making flaws that I have a hard time believing all these critics didn't notice them. It smells fishy.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Face_Palm said:
...they pleased the vast majority.

all-the-presidents-men-deep-throat.gif

It's sits at Position 43 of all time box office, adjusted for inflation movies.

For a product so many people claim to hate, they certainly aren't boycotting it with their wallets.

Raiders90

Face_Palm said:
Not one critic has ever stepped forward and claimed to have been bribed to review a film. That?s a defense online trolls use for a positively reviewed film that they didn?t enjoy.

I follow many critics who bashed a wrinkle in time and iron man 3 and were still invited to the next Disney movie premiere.

TLJ is a well made and more importantly well acted film. The prequels are far from that.

No. It was a mess.

Sorry, I would watch the prequels, which I don't even really enjoy, over TLJ. The whole film is just a confusing arthose mess that masquerades as deep. Leia Poppins. Lmfao.

Raiders90

Pale Horse said:
all-the-presidents-men-deep-throat.gif

It's sits at Position 43 of all time box office, adjusted for inflation movies.

For a product so many people claim to hate, they certainly aren't boycotting it with their wallets.

I saw it in theaters. I won't be seeing the next one. And I know a lot of other people, online and off, who feel the same way. Bought a ticket. Saw it. And now are burned. I would be surprised if IX does as well financially.

Silvor

Raiders112390 said:
I saw it in theaters. I won't be seeing the next one. And I know a lot of other people, online and off, who feel the same way. Bought a ticket. Saw it. And now are burned. I would be surprised if IX does as well financially.
Whenever I hear people say this I just get gombsmacked. Do people really have so little imagination? They could do ANYTHING in Episode IX.
They could have Vader come back if they were desperate enough even. So you're saying that if the teaser trailer had Vader breathing and a line about "it's been a long time" or something like that you wouldn't be in your seat faster than you could say Darth?

Or they could clone Hayden Christensen or the Emperor or rope in Ewan Mcgregor or Even Ford for a billion dollars. But noo, those whiney *******s they won't be seeing that one nope. And those were just the most obvious nostalgia baity tropes I could pick of the top of my head this very instance.

But you know what? I hope they won't be seeing it, maybe then we'd not get any more of the poor actors harassed.
Like I said I just have to shake my head.

TheFirebird1

Face_Palm said:
Not one critic has ever stepped forward and claimed to have been bribed to review a film. That’s a defense online trolls use for a positively reviewed film that they didn’t enjoy.

In all honesty, the critical vs. audience viewpoint of the film is definitely different. A lot of people I know who saw the movie (as well as I) were disappointed. As for my point of view on it, I'll second that it was well-acted (hell, even Rose, a character I didn't particularly enjoy, was given a more than sympathetic portrayal by Kelly Marie Tran), but the script was meh. I feel bad for Rian, because I know how hard it is to make a film and have others subject it to criticism, but the final product was a relatively overcomplicated movie with unfulfilling plotlines, pathetic, infantile humor, and terrible dialogue, at some points becoming as sluggish as The Phantom Menace:eek: . It's not a film on my watch list, that's for sure, though I can appreciate the opinions of those who derived at least a bit of enjoyment from it.
But that's a different discussion for a different thread. We're supposed to be talking about the better Lucasfilm franchise here :gun:.
Edit:
Silvor said:
But you know what? I hope they won't be seeing it, maybe then we'd not get any more of the poor actors harassed.
Like I said I just have to shake my head.
Same here. Even as someone who really disliked TLJ, I never got the idea that people would actually harass others because they didn't like their roles in MOVIES. Not real life here, people, but fantasies on a screen. It strikes me as so childish and petulant, and reminds me that some people should really get off the Internet. Just look at what happened to Ahmed Best (Jar Jar) or Kelly Marie Tran (Rose). Granted, I didn't enjoy their characters, but to go out and push them towards depression and near-suicide is honestly some of the worst stuff I've ever heard.

Last edited: