Soundtracks?

InexorableTash

Sorry about all the separate posts. I've been in all-day meetings for a few days with hour-long commutes by train on each end, and while I can browse the thread from my phone, I've had to batch up the replies in my head. :)

MDew said:
My goal is to eventually make an updated Vol.5 once everything is ID'd so everyone else doesn't have to go to all the work we did!

A request: Please reserve "Vol. 5" for the Curt Sobel Transylvania 1918 bootleg soundtrack with custom album art from the Masks of Evil VHS/Poster adapted by Laserschwert. That's been widely distributed on the 'net for a few years now, and if anyone promotes a different "Vol. 5" we'll just confuse everyone. Just before you joined, Stoo and I were pondering a Vol. 6 and Vol. 7 collection of the tracks we'd identified.

(Yes, given that no-one uses physical media any more there's no real duration/track limit, but it's the spirit of the thing...)

MDew

InexorableTash said:
This is on the second tab (links at the bottom) of the "Soundtrack Analysis" spreadsheet: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AitXfrT-eTV8clFHT2ZlQ2lJazJnNWtuNzRZOGx5V2c&hl=en
D'oh! I didn't see that down there. NM then.

As for the Vol. 5 moniker, I agree with you there. I was planning on including the Curt Sobel stuff in there as well, but probably won't bother since ya'll have it. (I wonder where Laserschwert got it in the 1st place? I had to get it off a Last Crusade bootleg from a Russian mp3 site..) I wouldn't want to offend Laserschwert :eek: Vol. 6 it is then!

InexorableTash

MDew said:
I took the liberty of gathering up all my recorded-off-DVD tracks mentioned in my 1st post (besides the credits), and adding a few more. Most have sound effects or are otherwise unusable in a future custom Vol. 5, so I thought it would make a nice little companion album. It's nothing groundbreaking, but kinda fun to hear some of these again. Heck I even made some cover art:

e9881e70de.jpg

Enjoy ;)

This is awesome! I especially love the Peacock track. Some notes:

Opening Titles (Tales of Innocence) - this is present on OST#4 "The Bridal Gown"

Opening (Travels with Father) this is almost-but-not-quite present in "Tolstoy Among the People" from Rosenthal's promo CDs.

I'm not even sure where I got the Transylvania-tracks in the first place (eMule? Usenet? Definitely not alongside the Crusade-boot), it's been a while. But I know that my first finding was missing one track, and I think that there was no mentioning of a "Vol. 5" along with it... that was all my idea. :eek:

InexorableTash said:
(Yes, given that no-one uses physical media any more there's no real duration/track limit, but it's the spirit of the thing...)
I have Vol. 5 put on the shelf next to my original Volumes 1-4 ;)

InexorableTash

Laserschwert said:
But I know that my first finding was missing one track, and I think that there was no mentioning of a "Vol. 5" along with it... that was all my idea.

Ah, so I can blame this on you. :) I heard the DVDs were coming out and was reminded of my old YIJC OSTs; wondering if they'd released anything beyond Vol 4 eventually led me here.

Laserschwert said:
I have Vol. 5 put on the shelf next to my original Volumes 1-4 ;)

Ditto! That and the 2 disc Emperor's Tomb set that's floating around.

InexorableTash

One new track from LIJ2, pending confirmation from Stoo:

2_0_HUB_6Complete_Qui (2:16) @ 0:00-0:56
Daredevils of the Desert 0:14:33-0:15:42
Tentative title: "Water is the Difference Between Life and Death"

The rest of the LIJ2 track appears to be from Daredevils as well (cavalry/Persian themes) but I can't place it in the episode. May overlap with "A Trader in Fine Goods"

In addition, the following pairs of LIJ2 / LIJ1 tracks are the same basic track, but the new LIJ2 track has no or significantly reduced SFX compared to the LIJ1 track:

1_0_HUB_3MapRoom_Qui / RA_CAIROSTREETS_D_QUI (Daredevils)
1_1_Nepal_Qui / RA_CAFERAVEN_B_QUI (Trenches)
1_2_Cairo_Qui / RA_CAIROSTREETS_B_QUI (Daredevils)
5_0_SouthAmericaHub_Qui / RA_CAFERAVEN_C_QUI (Hawkmen/Verdun)
5_2_Orellanna_Qui / RA_LOSTTEMPLE_B_QUI (Oganga/Trenches)

fommes

Cheers for the great work, again! You're just too quick for me to keep up :)
There's also some interesting sfx-free YIJ material in Indy Placeholder Act and Qui.

Concerning Transylvania, I think that leaked as a promo originally. The bootleg with LC on it is just from a bootleg label that cashes in on already leaked material.

MDew

fommes said:
Concerning Transylvania, I think that leaked as a promo originally. The bootleg with LC on it is just from a bootleg label that cashes in on already leaked material.
Yeah I'm sure it wasn't legitimate, judging by the source. I thought I had hit the jackpot with that LC bootleg, until I realized that it was more of a mish-mash of tracks from the OST & poorly recorded additional material that was all out of order. And then I discovered they had released the Complete Scores. D'oh! :eek:

Now why don't they just save us all this painstaking work and release full scores for each Young Indy episode??!! :mad: (I assume there's already a petition out there somewhere?)

InexorableTash

MDew said:
Now why don't they just save us all this painstaking work and release full scores for each Young Indy episode??!! :mad:

Well, realistically, the market probably doesn't justify it. Consider how many people and would be involved in producing a CD release, versus how many people would buy it. The numbers likely don't add up. Maybe, just maybe, if Lucasfilm goes on a binge and starts releasing individual tracks on iTunes it might be cheap enough to justify the administrative overhead... but I'm not holding my breath.

And are you implying that mapping out expeditions through the sources and excavating tracks from the desert of samples isn't fun? ;)

Stoo

MDew said:
Thanks for the status update, Stoo. Now I know where we stand. MDew is short for my name and coincidentally my favorite drink ;)
Right on. Well then, just for fun, here's a vintage video for you!:D

Rocket Surgeon said:
Really? They used some hollow techno crap and poppy Seinfeld bass for Young Indy rather than reuse a Season 1 song?

I would ask to hear it, but no...I don't want to spoil anything.
Yes, the bass is somewhat similar to Seinfeld! Ha ha.:D I will be uploading it eventually. (Note: The preview was shown immediately after "Congo", the last episode of Season 1.)
MDew said:
I took the liberty of gathering up all my recorded-off-DVD tracks mentioned in my 1st post (besides the credits), and adding a few more. Most have sound effects or are otherwise unusable in a future custom Vol. 5, so I thought it would make a nice little companion album. It's nothing groundbreaking, but kinda fun to hear some of these again. Heck I even made some cover art:
Thanks a lot, Mountain Dew!:hat:
Laserscwert said:
I'm not even sure where I got the Transylvania-tracks in the first place (eMule? Usenet? Definitely not alongside the Crusade-boot), it's been a while. But I know that my first finding was missing one track, and I think that there was no mentioning of a "Vol. 5" along with it... that was all my idea.:eek:
It was a good idea and thanks again, Laserschwert. Without The Raven, I would have NEVER known about it.:hat:
Inexorable Tash said:
One new track from LIJ2, pending confirmation from Stoo:

Daredevils of the Desert 0:14:33-0:15:42
Tentative title: "Water is the Difference Between Life and Death"

The rest of the LIJ2 track appears to be from Daredevils as well (cavalry/Persian themes) but I can't place it in the episode. May overlap with "A Trader in Fine Goods"
New "Daredevils" music! Great! Good ear, Tash. I nailed the rest of it, too, so this track is IN THE CAN! The remainder comes immediately before the scene you identified (when Daniel Craig is talking to Ismet Bey). I see you've changed your title and I created another for the "new" segment. (What is strange is that your DVD timings and differ from mine.) The sheets have been updated so it's now:

Daredevils of the Desert 0:14:36-0:15:53
Title: "Meinertzhagen's Plan"
+
2_0_HUB_6Complete_Qui (2:16) @ 0:56-2:16
Daredevils of the Desert 0:13:16-0:14:35
Tentative title: "These Documents Are Real"
Inexorable Tash said:
In addition, the following pairs of LIJ2 / LIJ1 tracks are the same basic track, but the new LIJ2 track has no or significantly reduced SFX compared to the LIJ1 track:

1_0_HUB_3MapRoom_Qui / RA_CAIROSTREETS_D_QUI (Daredevils)
1_1_Nepal_Qui / RA_CAFERAVEN_B_QUI (Trenches)
1_2_Cairo_Qui / RA_CAIROSTREETS_B_QUI (Daredevils)
5_0_SouthAmericaHub_Qui / RA_CAFERAVEN_C_QUI (Hawkmen/Verdun)
5_2_Orellanna_Qui / RA_LOSTTEMPLE_B_QUI (Oganga/Trenches)
Haven't done comparisons yet but are suggesting to replace these old LEGO tracks with the new ones?
fommes said:
There's also some interesting sfx-free YIJ material in Indy Placeholder Act and Qui.
Off to investigate...Thanks for the "heads up", fommes! In other news...

Hooray, Hooray! I've some news to say.
Laird sent me an e-mail the other day!:D

InexorableTash

Stoo said:
New "Daredevils" music! Great! Good ear, Tash. I nailed the rest of it, too, so this track is IN THE CAN! The remainder comes immediately before the scene you identified (when Daniel Craig is talking to Ismet Bey). I see you've changed your title and I created another for the "new" segment. (What is strange is that your DVD timings and differ from mine.)

w00t! And yeah, "Water..." was a great title but too long. Not sure about the DVD timings, maybe I have a typo in mine. I'll confirm yours.

Regarding Daredevils music as a whole: the music in the episode itself seems like it was put through a blender. Unlike the other LIJ tracks, it's becoming apparent to me that it's not worth trying to split up the tracks to try and match chronological and best to just leave them as-is. For my personal collection, at least.

Stoo said:
Haven't done comparisons yet but are suggesting to replace these old LEGO tracks with the new ones?

Yes, absolutely. In almost all cases the LIJ2 tracks are much cleaner. "Flames of Horror" is, for example, actually spooky. One track (not remembering which at the moment) replaces bird chirps with dog howls... that one is more of a personal taste, but I do prefer the new one.

MDew

Nice going guys, keep up the good work. (y) Maybe next week I'll have some time to try to ID more of the doc. end credits. I've got another project I'm gonna start too...:cool:

InexorableTash

Stoo said:
I nailed the rest of it, too, so this track is IN THE CAN!

Speaking of IN THE CAN, I finally tracked the other half of this one down too:

RA_CAIROSTREETS_C_QUI a.k.a. 1_0_HUB_6Complete_Qui (2:14)
Daredevils of the Desert @ DVD Time Index 0:34:38
"One More Question"

I think this one is clearer with the LIJ2 track as well, but it's a close call.

Stoo

Inexorable Tash said:
Speaking of IN THE CAN, I finally tracked the other half of this one down too:
YAHOO! Another LEGO tune 100% identified. Apart from the brief, Castle Intro/Midtro trio of pot-pourri tracks, there's only 6 left to go from LIJI1!;)(y)
fommes said:
Indy2_PlaceHolder_Act
0:00-1:49 is from "Desert Chase" (Raiders)
1:49-3:39/End is a better-quality LEGO 1 track & part of our fan-titled "Truck Fight and Biplane Chase" (Hawkmen)

Indy2_PlaceHolder_Qui
Don't think there's anything new here but like most of the LEGO 2 tracks, the sound quality seems superior. From what I can tell it's bits from:
"Delirious Indy" (Congo)/ Transylvania stuff/ Raiders stuff/ a track from "Somme".

Fommes, your mix of the available "Truck Fight and Biplane Chase" pieces was excellent but it looks like it can now be upgraded with "Indy2_PlaceHolder_Act":p How does the audio compare for you? To me, it sounds better. Tash was right about the better quality of the LEGO 2 music.:hat:
Inexorable Tash to MDew said:
And are you implying that mapping out expeditions through the sources and excavating tracks from the desert of samples isn't fun?;)
It certainly is a challenge. With the OVERWHELMING BARRAGE of material uncovered over the past few months (and now the new LEGO 2 tracks) it's become quite the puzzle...:eek:

fommes

Stoo said:
Fommes, your mix of the available "Truck Fight and Biplane Chase" pieces was excellent but it looks like it can now be upgraded with "Indy2_PlaceHolder_Act":p How does the audio compare for you? To me, it sounds better. Tash was right about the better quality of the LEGO 2 music.:hat:

I KNOW :)
That'll teach me for wanting to mix stuff 'too soon'. But I'll be sure to do it again with the updated file! I don't have the game, but I think that those Placeholder cues - along with the rest of the non-numbered ones - don't play during gameplay itself, which is why they're entirely clean.
All the other cues do have SFX, unfortunately, but I agree that they're often less intrusive than in LIJ 1 (though it's often a close call).

By the way, Tash, no worries if you're not up to editing the Daredevils files; I'll be glad to do it for you when I find the time - it's the least I can do.

InexorableTash said:
and the 2 disc Emperor's Tomb set that's floating around.
Which, by the way, was made by me. A LOT of editing done to the rip of the XBox-music of the game (which was in way better quality than the music of the PC-version).

InexorableTash

Laserschwert said:
Which, by the way, was made by me. A LOT of editing done to the rip of the XBox-music of the game (which was in way better quality than the music of the PC-version).

Wow, thank you for your work! I just found the forum threads that described it's creation. Very sad it had to be pulled; the remix into the soundtrack was extremely well done.

And while we're off on a tangent...

OMGWTFBBQ!! - SPF released some music in the early 1990s - in Japan! "Johnson was a Snowball who Loved the Beach" - has anyone here heard it?

MDew

InexorableTash said:
OMGWTFBBQ!! - SPF released some music in the early 1990s - in Japan! "Johnson was a Snowball who Loved the Beach" - has anyone here heard it?
WOW. Someone needs to track that one down! :eek:

JayDee

Maybe someone here can help me...

I am looking for a music cue (JUST the information, no Mp3 or something!):

It is in the episode "Treasure of the Peacock?s Eye", and you can hear it when Indy and Remis are on the boat, floating on the ocean, and Indy is waked up by a seagull/bird... It is their arrival at the second isle (not the isle where they are hunted by the natives).

Is this cue featured on any of the soundtrack cds?

InexorableTash

None of the Peacock's Eye score by Steve Bramson was released on CD. Alas.

You can find what is known about the Peacock's Eye tracks here:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AitXfrT-eTV8clFHT2ZlQ2lJazJnNWtuNzRZOGx5V2c&hl=en

We have a few cue sources identified (30 sec samples from Bramson's site, segments used in DVD games), however I don't think the bit you mentioned is one of them. If I recall from the episode, it sounds fairly similar to the "Faraway" and "It Stops Here" themes, so you could check those time markers and see if it's "close enough". It's also possible we have that cue in our stash of "unidentified cues" where we have the music but aren't even sure which episode it's from, let alone where in the episode.

Details on where we're getting these unreleased tracks is at:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AStXfrT-eTV8ZHRwOWQ3cl8waGd2bXZjaGQ&hl=en

PM me if you want more info.

You could also try contacting Bramson. Perhaps he'd be willing to put up more of the TotPE tracks?