Indiana Jones references in pop culture...

foreverwingnut

I did a search on this forum for Indiana Jones references in pop culture and I found threads for TV and "Family Guy" references to Indy, but I couldn't find something a little broader. I wanted to leave the floor open here for any-and-all references to Indy in any medium, ie- jokes, comics, films, radio, commercials, what-have-you. We're all familiar with "Weird" Al Yankovic's Indy parody in the opening sequence to "UHF", and that other great parody on "The Simpsons". Barf on "Spaceballs" commented that Yogurt's inner-sanctum was like the Temple of Doom. Adam Savage of "Mythbusters" is a noted Indiana Jones fan, hence the fedora he always wears. "Mythbusters" has tested some great Indy myths, too. But what of the more obscure references in pop culture? I'll give you an example: In Ralphie May's stand-up special, "I'm Too Big To Ignore", he jokes that he ate Cuban food so steaming hot that it melted his face like someone had opened the Ark! I read in these threads where newer members often get chastised for mentioning items that already appeared in older threads, so I ask that everyone be kind and understand that this kind of thread will perhaps repeat certain references, but it's O.K. I would just like to see a fun compilation of all Indiana Jones references in pop culture.

Last edited:

foreverwingnut

Gary Coleman starred as a daydreamer in a 1984 T.V. movie called, "The Fantastic World of D.C. Collins". Of the many heroes that his character dreamed to be, Indiana Jones was one of the more prominent. A clip of it can be found on youtube.

Stoo

On the cover of Iron Maiden's album, "Powerslave", from 1984:
Hidden amongst the hieroglyphs, there is some graffiti which says, "Indiana Jones was here 1941".:whip:

724349692008.jpg

powerzoom1b.jpg

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
On the cover of Iron Maiden's album, "Powerslave", from 1984:
Hidden amongst the hieroglyphs, there is some graffiti which says, "Indiana Jones was here 1941".:whip:

For real?

Powerslave was the first heavy metal album I bought on audio cassette. I still have it somewhere, and all these years that Indy reference has been illegibly there on that tiny cover?

HenryJunior

Wow you learn something new here everyday! :D
That is an incredibly obscure Indy reference thanks for sharing!

Hmm I think I have one, more of an observation than a reference:
In 'A.I. Artificial Intelligence' (Directed by a certain Steven Spielberg) Brendan Gleeson plays a man who hunts homeless Mecha-Robots for public destruction.

I noticed he seems to be wearing an incredibly Indy-esque hat. Finding screen shots on the net of this was difficult but I think you get the picture:

bg-ai-4.jpg

bg-ai-2.jpg

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
For real?

Powerslave was the first heavy metal album I bought on audio cassette. I still have it somewhere, and all these years that Indy reference has been illegibly there on that tiny cover?
Of course it's for real, Smiffy. I discovered it myself, by poring over the artwork details back in 1984. (About 2 years ago, this was a trivia question on the IndyCast and I was the first one to nail it.) You know that I know that you're a Maiden fan but I'm shocked to learn that you don't own the LP! Indy toys have gotten in your way.:p:whip:
HenryJunior said:
Wow you learn something new here everyday! :D
That is an incredibly obscure Indy reference thanks for sharing!
You're very welcome, HenryJunior.:) It's too bad that Foreverwingnut has me on his "ignore list" because I have much more to share and he'll be missing out on the references he is asking for!:(

Last edited:

foreverwingnut

"The Mummy" movie with Brendan Frazer payed homage to Indiana Jones. Harrison, both as Solo and Indy, would first chase a few baddies out-of-frame, only to turn-tail and retreat when the baddies banded with their blood-thirsty buddies (tongue-twister!). In "The Mummy", Rick O'Connell chases a few mummies out-of-frame, then retreats back into frame, mobbed by a murderous, mass of mummies (another tongue-twister!).

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Of course it's for real, Smiffy. I discovered it myself, by poring over the artwork details back in 1984. (About 2 years ago, this was a trivia question on the IndyCast and I was the first one to nail it.) You know that I know that you're a Maiden fan but I'm shocked to learn that you don't own the LP! Indy toys have gotten in your way.:p:whip:

Cassettes were my thing back then. (I was also recording LPs borrowed from the library onto cassette!)

I have no idea where these came from, but there were copies on tape in the house at one time:

Various-70s-80s--90s-Pop-Raiders-Of-The-Po-492197.jpg

492197b.jpg

And Madness are still alive and kicking - from the roof of Buckingham Palace last night no less!

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
I have no idea where these came from, but there were copies on tape in the house at one time:
-snip-
And Madness are still alive and kicking - from the roof of Buckingham Palace last night no less!
Yeah, I watched Madness' Diamond Jubilee appearance on the telly. Suggs!(y) (The 'Battle of Britain Memorial Flight' is flying over Buckingham Palace as I'm typing this.)

---
I remember that you posted those pop chart compilation covers elsewhere but this is the perfect place for them! (I'm guessing they are from 1982 or '83.)

Continuing the references in early '80s music...
The 1982 video for Duran Duran's hit song, "Hungry Like The Wolf", was considered quite Indy-inspired at the time: Simon Le Bon dressed in a Indy-ish outfit, an exotic locale and some shenanigans in a jungle.

Last edited:

foreverwingnut

HenryJunior wrote:

"In 'A.I. Artificial Intelligence' (Directed by a certain Steven Spielberg) Brendan Gleeson plays a man who hunts homeless Mecha-Robots for public destruction.
I noticed he seems to be wearing an incredibly Indy-esque hat. Finding screen shots on the net of this was difficult but I think you get the picture:"

foreverwingnut would like to comment:
I don't think this is a coincidence considering Spielberg loves to add little nuances only visible to a trained eye, like 3PO and R2 etched in the Well of Souls. Is Brendan also wearing a leather jacket? I can't tell from the photos, but it rather look like a leather jacket.

Also, I thought of another reference:
In an episode of "Night Court", Dan Fielding has to run for his life while being chased by a giant 8-ball. Coincidence?

Stoo added an excellent item for which I was envious. He wrote:

"The 1982 video for Duran Duran's hit song, "Hungry Like The Wolf", was considered quite Indy-inspired at the time: Simon Le Bon dressed in a Indy-ish outfit, an exotic locale and some shenanigans in a jungle."

I wanted to mention that this video was also considered a turning-point in the way music videos were made. This video wasn't confined to a stage or a studio, but it was highly stylized in the way big cinema is made. Videos afterward would excel to break free of the old music video restraints and follow the new trend set by "Hungry Like A Wolf". So, in a way, Indiana Jones changed music television! Thanks Stoo, we got to agree on something after all. Pour the champaign!

Last edited by a moderator:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
You know there's a quote function, right?

On another note, I've merged your posts. Generally speaking, it is preferable not to post multiple times in the same thread in a row, especially not in a short time frame of ten minutes.

foreverwingnut

Thanks, Attila. I'm new and still stumbling in the dark here a bit. The quote function repeats the entire, previous post, photos and all. I noticed that others can frame particular items for comment ("originally posted by..."). Can someone tell me how original postings can be framed for comment? It would certainly make this easier.

HenryJunior

I just checked ForeverWingnut, he's wearing a trenchcoat, not Indy's jacket. He does wear shirt and pants that look similar to Indy's, but honestly the only verifiable direct homage is that hat. I popped the DVD back in and the bash looks very similar to Raiders. I'm sure it must be a newer hat in his size (plus it doesn't look nearly as weathered).

Attila the Professor

Staff member
foreverwingnut said:
Thanks, Attila. I'm new and still stumbling in the dark here a bit. The quote function repeats the entire, previous post, photos and all. I noticed that others can frame particular items for comment ("originally posted by..."). Can someone tell me how original postings can be framed for comment? It would certainly make this easier.

The simplest way is to simply edit the text within the quote code (the bit in brackets), copying and pasting any individual pieces that you're quoting into the a given post at the point of composition.

The other way is to copy and paste whatever text you want into your post and add the quote tags, which look like this, but with brackets instead of parentheses:

(QUOTE=foreverwingnut)This is the text that you are quoting.(/QUOTE)

Marshall2288

I can't for the life of me find a screenshot but in "The Fugitive" the US Marshal that is played by Johnny Lee Davenport (the only black male US Marshal) is wearing am Indy style fedora with a very similar bas in the scene where the US Marshals go to Ford's apartment that he is renting to try and capture him. It could be coincidence but I doubt it.

fenris

Here's one from Monkey Island 2...

SOMI2_IndyRef01.jpg

SOMI2_IndyRef02.jpg

Although, this is probably cheating because they come from the same maker.

Stoo

foreverwingnut said:
Stoo added an excellent item for which I was envious. He wrote:

"The 1982 video for Duran Duran's hit song, "Hungry Like The Wolf", was considered quite Indy-inspired at the time: Simon Le Bon dressed in a Indy-ish outfit, an exotic locale and some shenanigans in a jungle."

I wanted to mention that this video was also considered a turning-point in the way music videos were made. This video wasn't confined to a stage or a studio, but it was highly stylized in the way big cinema is made. Videos afterward would excel to break free of the old music video restraints and follow the new trend set by "Hungry Like A Wolf". So, in a way, Indiana Jones changed music television! Thanks Stoo, we got to agree on something after all. Pour the champaign!
Well, I didn't offer any opinion so I'm not really sure what we're agreeing on.:p In any case, Wingnut, I'll never deny any occasion to drink some champagne. Cheers!:D (I'd clink glasses with you but, by tradition, champagne flutes aren't supposed to be clinked.)

A couple of more things about the "Hungry Like The Wolf" video:
- It was filmed in Sri Lanka, the country which would eventually used as a location for the filming of "Temple of Doom".
- Duran Duran's guitarist, Andy Taylor, described the video as: "Indiana Jones is horny and wants to get laid."

Come to think of it, in the café & marketplace, Simon Le Bon was dressed more like Belloq than Indy.

foreverwingnut

Agreement here in spirit anyway, Stoo. You might win me over, yet. I wanted to thank you and everyone for your posts. I can't express how much I'm enjoying this thread. I'm excited about the future of this thread. I thought of another more, well-known reference: The movie "Without A Paddle" was all about the love of Indiana Jones and adventure that was shared by lifelong friends. I don't own the movie, but I distinctly remember the characters were shown as kids at first, playing out the opening scene from Raiders. Can anyone get us a photo of this scene? That would be a great addition.

foreverwingnut

Mst3k

I've been a huge fan of Mystery Science Theater 3000 since their inception on The Comedy Channel (later combined with Ha! to form Comedy Central). I've recently been catching up on some episodes and I came across two, Indy references: The first was during the parodying of a really, really bad movie about the lost city of Atlantis called, "Alien from L.A.", starring a really, really bad Kathy Ireland. When Kathy enters a lost cavern and throws a roll of rope over her shoulder, Tom Cervo says, "Short Round, get me my stuff.". The second reference I wanted to mention was from their parodying of a much better film titled, "Escape 2000", in which residents are forced to evacuate The Bronx. Citizens are lined against a wall as a soldier in flame-retardant gear parades past them, wielding what looks like a flame-thrower. Crow comments in an embellished, evil French accent, "Ah, Homeless People, again we see there is nothing you can possess which I can not take away." Good stuff!