Ready Player One

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
Pale Horse, agreed on missing lively in-depth conversations here on the Raven and agreed that there's a real dichotomy in our upbringing. [Jokingly]Hopefully you aren't on the 'honor roll of the Chariot's of Fire.' (Repo Man reference -- which I bring up mainly because I mentioned the film earlier in the thread)

See the picture I posted above. I think you see a slight glimpse of it in the trailer when the female says 'welcome to the rebellion.'

As always I defer to your expertise in this area but I think you may want to check your facts on this one. I think the Unknown Pleasures album was out by the time of Ian Curtis's death. As for JD/NO aversion to merchandise, I don't know anything about that either but I know it didn't apply to tour shirts. In 1986, I recall sitting in Homeroom behind a classmate wearing a New Order tour shirt from their show in Pittsburgh. I totally agree however that the proper SPIELBERGIAN t-shirt for Ready Player One would be a 'Born In the U.S.A.' t-shirt. That's right in the main-stream sweet spot.

Ok - the facts, the 1986 there were Shirts, but New Order didn't approve them or profit from them. They were actually quite pissed when they saw them being sold.

I am sorry, my wires were crossed, it wasn't unknown pleasures, it was Love will tear us apart - that was released after Ian took a long drop on a sort rope. That single is what is considered what put JD into the limelight. Almost all of Joy Divisons fame came after Ian's death and most of their singles were released after his death. Also, remember Joy Division and New Order HATED the idea of releasing singles on their LPs. New Order also hated to play JD songs live as Bernie couldn't touch Ian's voice. This lead to many a violent gig as NO would play very short sets, often with out a popular single, no JD songs, and hated to play any encores. It wasn't until massive debts from their club in Manchester made they record "Regret" to pay off tax bills and debts that they went mainstream. and then the soccer songs..

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Great poster, Paul Shipper!
(Full size here.)

ready-player-one-poster.jpg

curmudgeon

Huh. I thought I'd heard that Struzan was going to be doing the poster, but I suppose Shipper does a great job emulating him...

Anyway, new trailer:

Joe Brody

curmudgeon said:
Anyway, new trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D_eZxSYRhco" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How derivative and 'me too!' given how the Willy Wonka song was just used so masterly in Thor Ragnarok last Fall. I'm sure the use of the song was just marketing types at work but I say its a warning sign. Another warning sign is that the trailer shows way too much.

At least they're not pushing the Depeche Mode.

curmudgeon

Joe Brody said:
How derivative and 'me too!' given how the Willy Wonka song was just used so masterly in Thor Ragnarok last Fall. I'm sure the use of the song was just marketing types at work but I say its a warning sign. Another warning sign is that the trailer shows way too much.

Might want to take a closer listen to the music in the Comic Con trailer that came out four months before Thor Ragnarok.

The Wonka connection seems to be a theme with this one. There was even talk back when this was coming together that Spielberg originally wanted Gene Wilder to play the game's deceased creator.

Joe Brody

curmudgeon said:
Might want to take a closer listen to the music in the Comic Con trailer that came out four months before Thor Ragnarok.

The Wonka connection seems to be a theme with this one. There was even talk back when this was coming together that Spielberg originally wanted Gene Wilder to play the game's deceased creator.

I'll agree there's a big golden ticket element to Ready Player One and using the song make sense but look at Ragnarok's production history: principal photography for Thor ended at the end of October, 2016 (and Ready Player One's ended a month earlier) -- so I don't think the Comic Con trailer had any influence on the Marvel team. The Thor sequence is special effects heavy and clearly not an after-thought because there was clearly a desire to give Jeff Goldblum's character a good intro, so I doubt the sequence was a late minute add.

I'd call this one a draw but defer to you.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dear heavens, please some creative type, mash up this song with the video above:

JasonMa

The book isn't amazing, in fact a lot of it is pretty sub-par, but it is fun. These trailers have none of that fun. It turns it into a bad CW teen drama with way too much CGI. I have no idea who the target audience is for this movie.

Finn

Staff member
JasonMa said:
The book isn't amazing, in fact a lot of it is pretty sub-par, but it is fun.
I, too, was quite disappointed by the book when I read it a while back. It had a great premise and some rather solid world-building, but unfortunately the actual story Cline told in this world he had created was mostly garbage. It was almost as if someone had written fan fiction using the world and characters some other author had created.

We've of course seen nothing yet but the trailers, but this might be one of those rare cases where the film adaptation is better than its source material - if only because the the bar to clear isn't awfully high here.

Joe Brody

Finn said:
We've of course seen nothing yet but the trailers . . .

13,910,192 Youtube views for RPO Trailer 1 as of today, posted for two months.

139,694,112 views for Infinity War Trailer as of today, posted for two months.

27,315,613 views for Incredibles Sneak Peek, posted for six days.

Lastly, from Dennis Miller's Twitter (you know, that cynical guy from the '80's)
Hey, what's this week's "Star Wars" film about?

10,874,138 views of Solo Teaser, posted for two weeks.

Doesn't mean anything but I thought it was interesting.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u4goUd22HeE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Joe Brody

From the Hollywood Reporter on Avengers release date causing Rampage to move up a week:

The Avengers and Rampage dominoes impact Ready Player One, Steven Spielberg?s adaptation of the Ernie Cline sci-fi novel. That film, which opens March 30, would have enjoyed three weeks as the sole tentpole in the marketplace.

RPO only has two weeks now to make bank.

I bet Spielberg wishes that he did in fact have some medicinal marijuana (that's an inside joke for the 14 non-retirement home bound people that actually watched the Oscars last night).

Disney is clearing the field.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
I bet Spielberg wishes that he did in fact have some medicinal marijuana (that's an inside joke for the 14 non-retirement home bound people that actually watched the Oscars last night)..

So, Harrison and spouse?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Spielberg at the well received SXSW screening:
?When I make a movie that I direct behind the camera, and I made a whole bunch of historical films like The Post and Bridge of Spies where I direct behind the camera, I?m pretty much in control of that. But when I decide to make a movie where I?m sitting in the audience with you, and I direct a movie in a seat next to you, that means I made the picture for you. And your reaction is everything, everything.?

?When I read the book, the scene that made me say completely yes to the film was a four page dialogue scene between Parzival and Art3mis. It?s the most they ever take in the book together. If I can capture in a bottle and reduce it to movie length to get that relationship; because this is character movie as well as an action movie.?

?My wife was jogging, and everyday when she went out and ran would listen to the book on tape. And this is not her kind of story, gaming. She?s never played a videogame in her life. You don?t have to play a videogame to understand the story. She came back to me after three days ?I already decided to do it?she said, ?Oh, there?s no decision to be made, you?re making this movie!?

?I found when I had multiple projects, I don?t get lost on one. I?d come back to one with complete clarity and my objectivity is the thing that I fear the most losing. The second I become too subjective about something and get too inside the story, I can?t see it from the audience?s point of view. By doing several things at the same time, I get to have a renewal of objectivity.?

Pale Horse

Staff member
I will see this, despite agreeing with Joe and Roundshort. The buzz surrounding it is to great.

Ironically, it's sort of the opposite of what Disney is attempting. The Mouse House is trying to create new memories, and Beard here, is trying to encapsulate them in a singular experience.

That could prove a sticking point for Indy V

TheFedora

So just saw the movie...WOW. Spielberg outdid himself her. No spoilers at all, but there are plenty of easter eggs throughout, lots of stuff from not only his filmography and particularly pop culture. Maybe even one or two that are of specific interest to people on this forum! ;)