IndyFrench - The Complete Outfit - Thanks Everyone

IndyFrench

TR.N Staff Member
Well, after 19 years, a 3-year hiatus included, and finally the acquisition of "a job to finish the job" ladies and gents - It's done! By the way, for those of you who might not know me, I'm Michael French, a longtime staff writer for theRaider.net. Nice to see so many new faces around here.

I know some things I have will never be 100 percent "Raiders SA blah blah," like the holster - but that holster is an earlier Noel Howard holster from when he was still at MBA - and the gunbelt is his also - That stuff holds sentimental "legacy" value for me and is more than close enough.

I'd like to really thank my good friend Gilles and the rest of the Raider.net staff - It's been swell these last few years (sans hiatus) working with all of you. You all kept my enthusiasm up. I can honestly say, I never could have done it without all of you!

With that said - here's my Raiders outfit in Last Crusade-style photos - "This is kid's play. I'll be right back."

Door1.jpg

FullGear1.jpg

whip4.jpg

All of these photos were taken by Dawn Hall, who recommended a great turn of the 20th century location that was deliciously abandoned.

Here's the rundown for the curious:

Adventurebilt (beaver, circa 2005) in Cairo bash
Wested Authentic Raiders
David Morgan 10' (Del Carpio Raiders coming soon)
Authentic MKVII with Keppler strap (NH strap to be reinstalled soon)
TAG pants belt with NH buckle
NH Raiders gunbelt with NH Raiders holster (circa 2000)
Magnoli shirt and pants (THANK YOU MAGNOLI!)
Smith & Wesson Model 1917 (the "new" production model)
Alden 405s (purchased from Fritz before his death)

Here's to May 22!

IndyFrench

TR.N Staff Member
Gosh, if I tallied all the costs of getting all this stuff, it would be well into four figures. I'd say you're looking at almost $1,600 to $2,000 there.

What that total doesn't include are all the failed hats, jackets, early belts, boots, shirts and pants over the last 20 years. Add that into the cost... Sheesh! :)

I'll post more pics soon.

Stoo

Hi, Michael, welcome back. Great photos - all of them, especially #3.:whip:
Is your photographer related to George Hall? Ha ha.

Don't think we've ever spoken but I've read some your articles on TheRaider.net.
I recently saw the 2nd installment on Allan Quatermain and must say, very well written
but, dang, you need some Quatermain-educatin', boy (just kidding)! Great articles but
I could have helped fill in some of the gaps. There's more out there, my friend!

Maybe we could collaborate on Part 3..."The Forgotten Films of Allan Quatermain".:hat:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Far from a Gearhead myself, but I can respect this. I especially like the photos, and your retention of not quite perfect items that hold other sentimental value.

Stoo

Actually, I changed my mind. Photo #1 is the best. Good composition. Nice...

Deckard

Hey, I really dig what you put togeather. I know the amount of time you can spend researching, which believe me you'll learn to do once you spend a few hundred on something that isn't right. Great looking outfit.

Also, thats a real gun, right? Looks damn good if it isn't.

IndyFrench

TR.N Staff Member
Yep,

That's a real pistol - A Smith and Wesson 1917 - identical to the one in Raiders (except mine has the uncut 5.5-inch barrel).

deckard24

IndyFrench, the outfit looks excellent and the pics are great Man!!:hat:
I too like pic #1 the best, great pose and setting!

IndyFrench

TR.N Staff Member
Thanks for all the compliments guys. Means a lot coming from all of you.

Stoo - If you wanna do a follow-up article, I'm game.

IndyFrench

TR.N Staff Member
Actually, most Smith and Wesson 1917s can be found for good prices. I opted to buy one of the newly re-released versions because it has modern metallurgy and mechanisms that make it even more reliable, while still retaining the Raiders-decor like the grips, frame details and lanyard swivel.

Mickiana

IndyFrench, well done! Very inspiring stuff. I am waiting on pants soon from Wested and Shoes from Alden coming about early May. Finding a gun here in Australia is difficult though. You need to be licensed to buy a gun and that takes six months to get processed and, besides, I can't find any Smith and Wessons around, not even a replica. Do you have any info about where in America I could buy one from? If so, I could get my brother who is licensed to purchase it for me. Any help would be much appreciated.

ReggieSnake

Michael...that is so awesome.(y) :whip:

Well done.

IndyFrench said:
Actually, most Smith and Wesson 1917s can be found for good prices. I opted to buy one of the newly re-released versions because it has modern metallurgy and mechanisms that make it even more reliable, while still retaining the Raiders-decor like the grips, frame details and lanyard swivel.
I did not know you could buy modern replicas of guns so old.:gun:

IndyFrench

TR.N Staff Member
Yes, Smith & Wesson is now offering the M1917 again! That was one of the developments that prompted me to finish my outfit once and for all!

Smith and Wesson has a description of the M1917 rerelease here: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=53952&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=48302&isFirearm=Y

They can also locate a dealer for you! Just remember to get a demooning tool for those full moon clips! :gun:

Thanks everyone for your comments! If I can help anyone with their own gear quests, please let me know!

ReggieSnake

IndyFrench said:
Here's the rundown for the curious:

Adventurebilt (beaver, circa 2005) in Cairo bash
Wested Authentic Raiders
David Morgan 10' (Del Carpio Raiders coming soon)
Authentic MKVII with Keppler strap (NH strap to be reinstalled soon)
TAG pants belt with NH buckle
NH Raiders gunbelt with NH Raiders holster (circa 2000)
Magnoli shirt and pants (THANK YOU MAGNOLI!)
Smith & Wesson Model 1917 (the "new" production model)
Alden 405s (purchased from Fritz before his death)

Here's to May 22!
This may be a dumb question: what does NH/TAG stand for?:confused:

Just curious...