Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Green-screen epics like Sky Captain and Sin City were just awful. And though a fan of graphic novels, History of Violence, V for Vendetta and Road to Perdition were miserable and overrated. So I'm skeptical here.

However, the success this year of 300, Ghost Rider and Night at the Museum is very good news for high-concept entertainment like Indy.

Baron Brunwald

CMNeir said:
The CGI was very noticable in this movie for some reason, i can't explain why. It is great and all, but the quality of the actually people seemed lacking.

300_comparison.JPG

3001600.jpg

Uhhhh.

Katarn07

It's noticeable in Sky Captain and Sin City too, but it only adds to the charm of those films. It's supposed to be a comic: fake looking CGI helps add to that illusion of it being that.

And King Arthur isn't the greatest movie ever made, but it's far from being the worse. The fresh take on the redundant legend was probably what made me enjoy it as much as I did. I hated Troy when I first saw it, but the second time through I was able to enjoy it. Apart from Achilles being around when they made that horse (he died early on in the war; the horse came 10 years into it), it was pretty true to mythology.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I saw it, pretty good. Did he visit the Oracle at Delphi early on with the girl they filmed underwater? Same place as in the Indy novel?

San Holo

I would say this movie is a masterpiece , even with the non-action scenes being a little boring(they could have cut out the whole subplot of the queen "drumming up" support for the war). I love the historical story of Leonidas and his 300 Spartans- and Frank Miller did a great job telling it.

Last edited:

San Holo

I/You know the movie is great and all, so let's get this thread rolling- What do you think about the political overtones in the movie, and what it is saying about freedom and democracy in today's world? I know some bleeding hearts that called this movie Bush propaganda:rolleyes: .

"King Arthur... it's far from being the worse"
The dump I took this AM wasn't the biggest one I've ever taken, but it was still a dump. Same with that POS, steaming heap of a movie.

DaFedora

If you guys gonna discuss on Troy and King Arthur, please turn to a different thread, thank you...

Back to 300... saw it last Thursday, was really impressed as far as cinematic spectacle goes. CGI was indeed very obvious, somewhat over the top since I had the impression Sparta didn't have any green slopes but only wide, golden yellow grain fields... they were everywhere around ! Good for lighting purposes, I suppose?

I did have to laugh a lot with the giant Xerxes guy. His voice was soooo a rip-off from the Stargate franchise - he sounded and kinda looked like a Goa'ould Systemlord. Anyone else noticed this? I almost expected his eyeballs to glow and a symbiont crawling out his stomach hehe... (or use force powers as the Sith did in Star Wars). Gotta love the decadent showplay of the Persian richnessess hehe... (human stairs and all)

And as for the gooey Ephors... they looked and sounded like Emperor Palpatine's nephews or so...

Although an expected outcome, I didn't see it coming that the Spartan queen would slaughter Theron by sword in front of the Council...

Must've been one hell of a fighting choreography and effects editing.

deckard24

I finally saw 300 yesterday, and well I'm kind of mixed on it. Visually it was amazing, and the action scenes are extremely impressive. I like Butler in pretty much everything he's in, and I thought he did a good job, even if he did sound like a Spartan from Glasgow, lol! Dafedora, I agree Xerxes voice was a ripoff, in fact I heard a bit of Palpatine from Sith, after he gets fried by Samuel L. Jackson. I guess what I felt mixed about was it seemed somewhat realistic at times, like that's what they were striving for, and then it went completely into left field w/something supernatural or mystical. Like the Goat headed/pan flute playing creature in Xerxes tent, where did he come from? Or, the myriad number of deformed orc like characters and mutants. I'm sure there were deformed people back 2,400 years ago, but entire armies of them, ie. The Immortals? I'm not as up on the historical side to 300 is it more mythological than fact, maybe some of you can fill me in?
Lastly, the bluescreen was of course a necesssity to get Miller's frenzied artstyle to the screen, but I wanted to see one real sky, it just started to feel really sterile, and the colors were so drained, except for the Spartan's capes. I enjoyed the movie for what it was, and visually I was blown away, but I'll take Gladiator anyday over this.