IJ and the Spirit of the People (Ch 1 Now Online!)

Ska

Shameless bump...

Well over the last month my wife and I bought a MacBook...and I decided to fool around with iMovie for some "advanced" editing of Spirit of the People.

Now that I FINALLY got the movie onto my computer, I'm in the process of doing a total renovation of my movie. I plan to finish re-editing the movie in the next month, and will upload to YouTube when finished.

(Not to sound like Lucas, but...)Don't get your expectations up too high. The acting isn't that great, but it's a fun film to watch if you're an Indy fan.

The film was originally over an hour long...but after I re-edit (and do a final cut), I see the film clocking in at around 45 minutes.

Changes to be made to the original film:

Credits will be added during the opening of the movie. Previously I filmed a Power Point with credits.
Minimal digital effects will be added throughout the film. Poison darts were left to the imagination before, now they will be seen. Also, effects will be added to the MacGuffin at the ending.
Transitions will be added between scenes, to soften up the hard cuts.

Stay tuned...

Last edited:

Ska

Update

For those that care...

...a drastic turn has taken in terms of the movie. I decided to change the movie from a regular fan film to a silent movie (for originality and as a tribute to the OLD adventure serials). Plus, by changing this to a silent movie, I can fix (by taking them out) all of the spoken line errors that were previously recorded. There were spoken lines that dealt with alternate plot senarios that I couldn't go back and fix, but by adding text in between scenes, I can basically rewrite the story as I want (as long as it fits the action on screen...which it will).

I recently contacted Joe Cordello (1taken from YouTube) about doing some custom piano renditions of Indy songs, that I will use as the soundtrack for the movie. He has already completed some and will continue to do so as I continue editing. No good silent movie is without a good piano background!

I've worked on and am just about finished with a trailer for the movie, and I will post the YouTube link here tomorrow morning (if all goes well).

Stay tuned. I really like the new black and white "silent" movie look to the film and hope you all enjoy it too!

I was inspired to do this from The Spiders, a silent movie from 1912 I believe that (at least to me) is the oldest influence on the Indiana Jones series.

Ska

Trailer FINALLY on YouTube!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pRIWs0yNiGQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pRIWs0yNiGQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Please feel free to add comments/ratings!

I will be releasing five 9 minute chapters early this fall on YouTube. Together, they will make up (total of about 45 mins.) the entire film, Indiana Jones and the Spirit of the People. Someone on YouTube is making custom Indiana Jones theme piano songs for me to use as background music (since it's not a true silent movie without pianos). The chapters will end in cliffhanger endings like the old adventure serials that Indy is based on.

Last edited:

QBComics

SKAbatula said:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pRIWs0yNiGQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pRIWs0yNiGQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Please feel free to add comments/ratings!

I will be releasing five 9 minute chapters early this fall on YouTube. Together, they will make up (total of about 45 mins.) the entire film, Indiana Jones and the Spirit of the People. Someone on YouTube is making custom Indiana Jones theme piano songs for me to use as background music (since it's not a true silent movie without pianos). The chapters will end in cliffhanger endings like the old adventure serials that Indy is based on.

Cool! That looks great!

Ska

I will be reposting the trailer on Google this afternoon (as a private video...will not show up during searches...but I can link the movie on websites for others to see). One of the actors in the movie didn't want his image on the internet.

Chapter 1 (of 5) of Indiana Jones and the Spirit of the People will be posted either at the end of this week or early next week. It will be just under 10 mins and is titled "Chapter 1: The Orb of Souls".

As with all of Indy's movies, the first part of the movie isn't related to the main story...but picks up on an adventure already in progress...and introduces us to the villan.

All that's left to do with Chapter 1 is to give the film an aged look and lay the background music. I converted it to black and white and added text to the story this morning before work. I think it came out awesome and by far is my favorite part of the entire movie.

Ska

Chapter 2: Propositions

Chapter 2 is much less action packed, but required to tell the story for the rest of the movie. Chapter 3 is full of action, with a cliff hanger...and will be online by the end of the week.

Hope you enjoy!

Stoo

SKAbatula said:
I was inspired to do this from The Spiders, a silent movie from 1912 I believe that (at least to me) is the oldest influence on the Indiana Jones series.
Being the guy who introduced you to "The Spiders", I would just like to say it's a job well done, SKA!(y)
I've only watched Part 1 so far but the fact that you've turned it into a silent film is unique and fresh.
The piano music is a great rendering of Indy themes. It fits very well and set the mood. I especially enjoyed
the scene on the train bridge. At one point it felt as if I was actually watching an old serial. What a jump!
Which one are you by the way? The henchman on the bridge?

Ska

Thanks for watching, Stoo!

Yeah the train scene turned out great in my opinion. That's my favorite scene of the whole movie. It was the first scene we shot (seems like forever ago), so we really had some motivation going. Actually the henceman on the bridge is the one who jumped into the river. The actor playing Indy wasn't up to it, so we had to shoot it farther away (as to not notice it's not the same actor).

I'm actually not in chapter 1. I mistakenly added my name to the beginning credits. Too hard to change now.

But I am in the rest of the chapters as Gustav Hamlin (the one with the eye patch at the beginning of chapter 2). I also play a Soviet goon in chapter 3 (one of the ones with a mask on). In the original version of the film, I also played Henry Sr. in a classroom scene (would have taken place in chapter 2), but I cut the scene. I had a really bad fake white beard...and it was too cheesy for the finished film. Parts of the classroom scene (without Henry) will be in the final chapter.

muttjones

nice! that one is my favourite so far.

But can you something about the google video picture quality. It is very pixelated so it worsens the whole film

nice work anyway (y) (y)

Ska

Yeah the pixelation does suck on Google Video...when I converted the movie to a .mov file in iMovie, I compressed it for a smaller resolution, and stupid Google Video blows it up.

I'll have to play with the settings.

Thanks for watching again, Mutt!

EDIT: On the bottom right of the Google Video player is a Google Video button with an arrow box (besides the volume and full screen controls). You can chose either original size, double size, fit to window (default), or full screen. Original size is too small, but double size seems to work ok. Not as sharp as before being compressed, but better than fit to window.

I'll see if I can make double size the default...if not you can manually do it when watching.

muttjones

SKAbatula said:
Yeah the pixelation does suck on Google Video...when I converted the movie to a .mov file in iMovie, I compressed it for a smaller resolution, and stupid Google Video blows it up.

I'll have to play with the settings.

Thanks for watching again, Mutt!

i'll make sure i remind you to watch mine when its finished. It'll be alot shorter than yours but just as enjoyable and indyesque

Ska

Oh, I'll be on the lookout! :D

I looked, but no way to make double size default...

...so the watcher just has to change it his/her self (or buy a smaller monitor...hehe).

My main goal was to make it feel like/similar to an Indy movie. I wanted to keep all the traditions...fade from Paramount logo..."Pat Roach" fight...unrelated opening scene...supernatural artifact...true tie in with history...chase scene....classroom scene (SPOILER...oh no!)...greed taking over villain at the end, etc.

muttjones

SKAbatula said:
Oh, I'll be on the lookout! :D

I looked, but no way to make double size default...

...so the watcher just has to change it his/her self (or buy a smaller monitor...hehe).

My main goal was to make it feel like/similar to an Indy movie. I wanted to keep all the traditions...fade from Paramount logo..."Pat Roach" fight...unrelated opening scene...supernatural artifact...true tie in with history...chase scene....classroom scene (SPOILER...oh no!)...greed taking over villain at the end, etc.

how do i do this. I don't mind if its smaller if the picture quality is better.

Ska

On the bottom right of the Google Video player is a Google Video button with an arrow box (besides the volume and full screen controls). You can chose either original size, double size, fit to window (default), or full screen. Original size is too small, but double size seems to work ok. Not as sharp as before being compressed, but better than fit to window.