IMDB: Indiana Jones or Han Solo

Jay R. Zay

the result isn't surprising. han solo isn't so much of a likable character. not modest and friendly enough for most people. too much self confidence and too down-to-earth.

Magda

Jay R. Zay said:
the result isn't surprising. han solo isn't so much of a likable character. not modest and friendly enough for most people. too much self confidence and too down-to-earth.

There's nothing wrong with being a realistic, down-to-earth person.

Tom Jones

I agree with you Jay R. Zay.

This thread reminds me of a fan story I once read about Indy and Han meeting. It started off at the Well of Souls, Indy had just been lowered in and he discovers something that he didn?t expect?Han Solo frozen in that carbon stuff. :eek:

I thought it was a really fun story and had some cool ideas that I liked. I just wish I could remember the name of the story.

Jay R. Zay

Ameera said:
There's nothing wrong with being a realistic, down-to-earth person.

yeah maybe but in cinema (and especially in a tale like star wars), people want heroes. and han isn't really a hero, especially not at the beginning. an adventurer - yes, but only for cash. he isn't very idealistic, he won't join the rebellion because he believes they are right - just because he got money for saving the princess. like most people would think (or at least so would i), but that's not the kind of hero we usually like to adore.

in a way quite the opposite of what indy is like in ToD. the heal-the-world guy. one of the reasons why i don't like this indy movie. i prefer a character that has some unpleasant traits as well.

TombReader

I think in some ways these polls can be quite indicative of the times.The results can often depend on the current mood or state of the world.Different heroes for different times,I guess.

IndyBuff

Jay R. Zay said:
yeah maybe but in cinema (and especially in a tale like star wars), people want heroes. and han isn't really a hero, especially not at the beginning. an adventurer - yes, but only for cash. he isn't very idealistic, he won't join the rebellion because he believes they are right - just because he got money for saving the princess. like most people would think (or at least so would i), but that's not the kind of hero we usually like to adore.

in a way quite the opposite of what indy is like in ToD. the heal-the-world guy. one of the reasons why i don't like this indy movie. i prefer a character that has some unpleasant traits as well.

I don't want to throw this thread off topic but I think Indy did have a negative trait in Temple of Doom, mostly in the form of selfishness. When Indy and his gang first arrive in India they are taken to the village and told about the missing stones and the missing children. Indy goes after the stones but at first it seems they are mostly for himself: "Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory." It is not until later in the film when Indy sees the enslaved children that he has a change of heart and in the end he realizes the power of the stones and returns them to the villiage and its people. To me, Indy originally sets out on the adventure mostly for himself but later ends up helping everyone else out and leaves with nothing.

Han Solo also starts out being mostly self-centered but as the trilogy progresses he begins to change and focuses more on others and less on himself (in some areas, anyway).

Finn

Staff member
Not OT... topic progression

Of course, the saga form of Star Wars helped build more solid character arcs, every main character in goes through some kind of a change during the three movies (Luke - from a whiny country boy to a Jedi Master, Han - from a self-center smuggler to a non-utilitiaristic freedom fighter, Leia - from an annoying little girl to an annoying young lady).

Indy's story arc isn't as solid, most of his character preferences were already set in Raiders, and there was not much room since. Both in Raiders and ToD, Indy first goes after the prize for his own interests, he's not much into saving the world, he just wants the Ark for the museum - guess it's the same for Sankara stones, he wants them in a stall. This doesn't appeal in LC anymore however, since Indy never wanted the Grail, just to find his father.

Besides, I reckon that those new episodes of the SW saga have thrown some people to see how silly Star Wars was to begin with...

KDuncan

indifan101 said:
Zay ya know what I want? How to learn to bash threads like you do! NOT!:mad:

Well now, he has gotten more mellow recently -- should have asked him when he had the touch strong... could say almost anything and still not get banned. :whip: