The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

Katarn07

People can bash Somers all they want. The Mummy is one of the coolest movies of all time and it's because of his writing/directing.

As for Cohen, I'm not too familiar with his work. Fast/Furious and Stealth both looked like garbage, though I won't say they were since I've never seen them. I did enjoy Dragonheart as a kid, and I recently rewatched it within the past couple years and thought it was a decent film.

Finn

Staff member
The Mummy is a film which isn't generally found a bad piece (I like it too), yet I know I'm not alone if I don't find rest of Sommers' work that adorable. The Mummy Returns already had some things it could have done without (yet I admit, I was able to enjoy it, in a way...) and Van Helsing was plain bad.

In a similar manner Cohen has actually managed to bag one decent picture with xXx. So they're pretty much on the same line in my book (and there're worse directors in that one too).

Gustav

xXx is one of the reasons I think he's one of the worst directors in history. That and The Fast and the Furious. I have never seen Dragonheart.

Finn

Staff member
Gustav said:
xXx is one of the reasons I think he's one of the worst directors in history. That and The Fast and the Furious. I have never seen Dragonheart.
Interesting, as that film is not generally considered a bad one. But oh well, let's see the film first and then return to this matter.

Katarn07

Gustav said:
I have never seen Dragonheart.

Sean Connery as a giant dragon. 'Nuff said ;)

And add xXx as a film that looked bad that I didn't want to see. Not saying it's bad, just saying it didn't look like my cup of tea.

Finn

Staff member
Katarn07 said:
And add xXx as a film that looked bad that I didn't want to see. Not saying it's bad, just saying it didn't look like my cup of tea.
I didn't pay for it either, just checked it out when it was on telly. But to take us back to the subject, xXx is a Cohen piece that actually got positive reviews, hence my saying it was what the Mummy was to Sommers.

EvilDevo

Gobi-1 said:
I actually thought Stephen Sommers was a good director based on The Jungle Book, The Mummy, and The Mummy Returns. I thought to myself that this guy has got a future directing fun adventure movies. Then he went and made Van Helsing and completely lost it.

I liked The Jungle Book a lot when I saw it about eleven years ago, but I haven't seen it since so I can't really comment on it. The Mummy is directed well, but I thought Returns had a bit too much CGI in the action and sets, which paved the way for the completely unbelievable Van Helsing. (Don't get me wrong, The Mummy was CGI laden, but it still had a sense of realism to it, it wasn't TOO over the top.)

Did anybody see Deep Rising? I think it's one of Sommers best, stupid but exciting. The characters had a great chemistry with one another. Also, with a budget much thinner than his most recent films, he had to rely on more traditional methods of filmmaking. In my opinion, better methods of filmmaking. (IE miniatures and models, etc.)

Vendetta08

From what I've heard, Sommer's has nothing to do with Mummy 3 and none of the original cast will be back. It's going to be about a completely different Mummy set in Japan(I think) with Jet Li signed on as The Mummy.

Eh.

San Holo

Just saw that Vic Armstrong is the stunt coordinator, and the film is called Mummy 3:The Dragon King. Any other news on this one?

Nick

hmm, don't like it that the took another actress for the Evelyn character, that sucks, they could have better killed Evelyn off or something, i hate it when they take different actors for the same part (at least if the character is around the same age that is ;) )

San Holo

SPOILERS
I was looking at Dark Horizons, and found this from the director-contains plot details-

"In the film Jet Li plays a despotic Chinese Emperor in 50 B.C. whose evil is punished by a terrible curse laid on him by a wizardress (Michelle Yeoh): he and his army are turned into to terra cotta for all time; that is, unless he is re-awakened which, of course, is where the O’Connell’s come back into it.

The story moves to the year 1946. When we find them, Rick (Brendan Fraser) and Evelyn (Maria Bello) are retired to Oxfordshire, England, having been spies for the British during World War II. They are bored silly and welcome the offer of “one last mission” from the Foreign Office. Their assignment: courier a precious artifact back to the museum in Shanghai, China from which it was stolen.

Back to Asia: China is in turmoil but Jonathan (John Hannah) owns an Egyptian-themed bar in Shanghai. Unbeknownst to his parents, now grown-up Alex O’Connell (Luke Ford) is following in the family business as a young archaeologist on a dig in north-central China. He makes the discovery of a lifetime: the tomb of the Dragon Emperor, which has been buried for millennia.

A beautiful assassin (Isabella Leong) tries to kill him to keep the location secret but Alex prevails. The Emperor’s monument is transported back to Shanghai where another plot is in motion: military zealot Anthony Wong intends to awaken the Emperor and aid him in the re-conquest of China and the raising of his terra cotta army of ten thousand clay warriors (google The Terra Cotta army of Xi’an if you want to read more about the history of this wonder of the ancient world).

The family is reunited and high adventure ensues: crash landings, treks thru the Himalayas, Yeti, avalanches (bigger than the one I did in “XXX”), Shangri-la, three-headed dragons, pools of eternal life, epic battles, a shape-shifting Jet Li….I could go on but I don’t want to give it all away."

This movie is sounding better and better.

Finn

Staff member
San Holo said:
This movie is sounding better and better.
It does... as long as you remember to check in your brain at the door.

And nothing wrong with that from time to time.

Doc Savage

Finn said:

And nothing wrong with that from time to time.
The beauty of the pulps...ever read any Doc Savage?

I'm looking forward to some low-brow high adventure. That, and I wanna see if Brendan Frasier fares any better against Jet than Mel Gibson did.

San Holo

Finn said:
Trust me, that is not a problem;)

Doc Savage said:
and I wanna see if Brendan Frasier fares any better against Jet than Mel Gibson did.
I dunno, looks like they are all "gettin' too old for this $#!%"

Last edited:

Doc Savage

San Holo said:
I dunno, looks like they are all "gettin' too old for this $#!%"
Yeah...I guess we children of the 80's need a wake-up call...next thing you know, they'll be repackaging G.I. Joe and Transformers...oh, wait, they've done that, haven't they?

Doc Savage said:
Yeah...I guess we children of the 80's need a wake-up call...next thing you know, they'll be repackaging G.I. Joe and Transformers...oh, wait, they've done that, haven't they?

Yeah, did you hear about that GI Joe movie? Oh god... :( No Cobra! It's not even the US military but some international task force. :(

Doc Savage

ResidentAlien said:
Yeah, did you hear about that GI Joe movie? Oh god... :( No Cobra! It's not even the US military but some international task force. :(
When was/is this atrocity supposed to take place? I mean, c'mon...it's The Real American Hero we're talking about here!

Doc Savage

Omigosh...I think I may have to resort to terrorism. That is both sad and wrong. Excuse me while I predicate my plan for global domination on preventing this blasphemy.

Then again, I was the only person in my class that Serpentor was cool.