Are Indy and his dad immortal now?

nezobiwan

ClintonHammond said:
Immortality... I donno.... Even the first time I saw the movie I 'got' that the immortality was conditional... that you couldn't 'cross the seal' and still live forever... So the first time someone suggested they could, my first thought was "Wow... did you ever miss the point."

Mind you, by then I already knew a fair bit of "Grail Myth" and knew that it was a tool for healing... not for immortality per say...

"don't we all wish it were true?"
What? The possibility of immortality? Or that Indy was immortal?

Well some of us, including myself, can't remember the first time they watched the movie. I was practically BORN an Indy/Star Wars fan and with that situation of having a family already really dedicated to these movies, there are A LOT of things I missed the mark on. I'll watch movies from my childhood that I haven't seen in years and when I do I realize "OMG I always thought he said ____." or "I can't believe I never knew ____." And for some reason it's always inane or obvious things. I'm trying to think of a specific example... Maybe I'll get back to that when I have a good one.

"some of us... can't remember the first time they watched the movie."
Well, I guess I'd have to call that a benefit of being older than most of the people here.... I recall watching all 3 on the big screen when they were first released.

I'll ask again though
"don't we all wish it were true?"
What? The possibility of immortality? Or that Indy was immortal?

I think that would make for pretty boring story telling....

How do you add any excitement, any interest into a character who is immortal?

Even Superman can be killed.... It's our mortality, the ephemeral nature of our existence, that makes what we do, (Or don't do) interesting.

nezobiwan

ClintonHammond said:
I think that would make for pretty boring story telling....

How do you add any excitement, any interest into a character who is immortal?

Even Superman can be killed.... It's our mortality, the ephemeral nature of our existence, that makes what we do, (Or don't do) interesting.
I was thinking less about compelling story and more making a statement akin to "Viva Indy!"

:whip:

NileQT87

did you know there's an ignore feature on this messageboard? if everybody puts him on ignore, he'll have no one to talk to and no one talking to him. ;)

nezobiwan

NileQT87 said:
did you know there's an ignore feature on this messageboard? if everybody puts him on ignore, he'll have no one to talk to and no one talking to him. ;)
Tried that. He posts so often and especially on threads that interest me. To ignore him completely blocks A LOT of discussion. Contrary to popular belief, sometimes he actually does provide useful comments.

Catch 22, I suppose.

chapter11

nezobiwan said:
I think you might find that CH was actually criticizing the conduct of Finn... Finn being a moderator, otto rahn being a "newbie", and Finn's response to the thread subject and the question of whether it was right to make that kind of response.

Yes, I know he was criticizing Finn. I just found it ludicrous coming from CH of all people, though. Finn's only fault is that he hasn't banned CH yet. Now THAT would make this a much more inviting forum altogether. :)

"he hasn't banned CH yet"
IIRC the last person that suggested that -I- aughta've been banned, ended up banned himself....

Now THAT'S funny.

Want to try to get this thread BACK on topic... Or do you need to level a few more childish swipes at me?
(Ever see the bored look on a lions face when a bunch of cubs are chasing after his tail as it swishes through the hot August scrubgrass? We need a smiley that encompasses that...)

How does one tell an interesting story about an immortal character?

I have... I didn't find them all that interesting... Especially after the 1st....

And well, strictly speaking a vampire is only conditionally immortal...

Keep in mind I come form the John Steakley school of "Vampire$" especially Jack Crow as interpreted by James Woods.... (The only good bloodsucker is a DEAD bloodsucker!)

nezobiwan

ClintonHammond said:
I have... I didn't find them all that interesting... Especially after the 1st....

And well, strictly speaking a vampire is only conditionally immortal...

Keep in mind I come form the John Steakley school of "Vampire$" especially Jack Crow as interpreted by James Woods.... (The only good bloodsucker is a DEAD bloodsucker!)

Wasn't the knight in LC conditionally immortal?

Yes... but the topic in this thread is the "What If" Indy and his dad were granted UNCONDITIONAL immortality by The Grail.... (A "What If" that we've all dismissed as outside the intent of the story)

I contend that such a character is a HELL Of a challenge to tell an interesting story with.... When your HERO is never in peril, there's no tension.

nezobiwan

ClintonHammond said:
Yes... but the topic in this thread is the "What If" Indy and his dad were granted UNCONDITIONAL immortality by The Grail.... (A "What If" that we've all dismissed as outside the intent of the story)

I contend that such a character is a HELL Of a challenge to tell an interesting story with.... When your HERO is never in peril, there's no tension.

Well I don't think the word "unconditional" had come up before you mentioned it.

Maybe people are just as scared of immortality as they are of death.

It sucks to die and leave everyone and go into the unknown... isn't it equally or even MORE dismaying to stay alive while everything else in the world is decaying before your eyes...?

:eek: :dead:

Maybe that's why we can't think of a enjoyable, popular, "unconditionally" immortal character. The author has to write in a way out for the insanity that is probable in such a situation.

"I don't think the word "unconditional" had come up before you mentioned it."
It's important to be clear, the definitions of the terms you expect to use in any given conversation.... Especially in a medium where misunderstandings are the norm rather than the exception...

"Maybe people are just as scared of immortality as they are of death."
I'd MUCH rather try the first than the second! LOL

(Given even halfway passable nanotech, near immortality isn't that much of a problem)

"isn't it equally or even MORE dismaying to stay alive while everything else in the world is decaying before your eyes"
Given how that is EXACTLY what's happening right now to each and every one of us, I don't see how.... I donno about you, but it sure seems like I remain while all else passes before me... ,-)

Ska

Dying has a different meaning depending on one's religion. I was raised, and am still, a Catholic. When I was little, I was scared to death of dying (not literally, of course). It just seemed so final. I used to think that when I died, I was never coming back. Not in a week, a month, a year, 10 years...never. I mean it really scared me.

Now that I'm older, and I "understand" the Catholic religion, I see dying as being born again...in a better place. You just have to have faith. Although, I'd like to live here as long as possible. Just waking up each day is a great feeling.

Back on topic, I think having Indiana Jones as immortal would ruin the franchise...especially for an up and coming movie. Knowing that Indy couldn't die would take all the drama and tension out of KOTCS. Sure, they probably wouldn't kill him off anyways, but at least there's that possibility. I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing Indy killed off.

The only thing that can stop Indiana is death.

I would want no further association with the Indy franchise if they killed him. Three beautiful films could be destroyed by a rogue fourth that has him dying? No thanks.

nezobiwan

herr gruber said:
I would want no further association with the Indy franchise if they killed him. Three beautiful films could be destroyed by a rogue fourth that has him dying? No thanks.

It's better than a rogue second movie (out of four that are somewhat sequential) that has him dying! HAHA! :D