Here it is ! Closeup of Sideshow's Indy sculpt !!

barranca

That's my whole point, the question of wether the sculpt looks like Indy is very individual and subjective. For instance if you look at how he's been painted or drawn over the years there are many, many different interpretations too. Photos also give a variety of 'looks'.
But I've shown all the heads I have to many people, they all without fail identify 'who' it is yet every head is distinctly different.
Also most people need the hat on to nail it completely and like I said before I haven't one head that I'm entirely happy with.
I think some of us will be happy, some not, but I have a feeling that ALL of us will buy one !

More than Jones I'm actually looking forward to the other figures they may do, Belloq, Marion, Short round, Prof jones, and figures from KOTCS. I'm not a huge fan of female figures but if they pulled off a Willie Scott from the TOD opening sequence it could be a minor work of art !

Last edited:

deckard24

I just looked up the Arnie Kim figures, and I've got to say they are good but are all vastly different. Of course Ford's looks changed a bit per role, but his basic facial features didn't. For the Indy, Han, and Jack Ryan figures they are like all different versions of Ford. Each one conveys his look, but they are all uniquely individual like you said Barranca!

tnswman

deckard24 said:
Barranca, you really don't think the Sideshow sculpt is a good likeness of Ford? To me it's the best likeness of Ford I've seen in a figure ever! I agree with the fedora on he'll look even better and give us a better grasp for the finished look. Of course they could screw up the paint job, and blow the whole thing, but I don't see it happening.

My only issue I guess would be the nose. It could be a tad bit bigger, and the crookedness of it is not evident in the head sculpt. Ford's larger crooked nose, lopsided smile, scar, and prominent brow ridge are his signature facial features.

Regardless, I'll be one of the first to pre-order this figure! I'll think I'll get two in fact, one to take out of the package and one for safe keeping!

I too will be ordering two as soon as the pre-order is up..I buy one of EVERY Star Wars figure and I just got in my Luke Bespin figure. I also have EVERY James Bond figure from Sideshow. I LOVE them, However, I think they are ALL FLAWED!! It is NT the sculpt, it is the paint apps. the washing on the face really hurts the figure...Sideshow has done one Harrison Ford figure already and it was a great sculpt but the paint apps made him look like Tom Hanks from Philladelphia.

Usually the washing and shading around the eyes is the problem.

barranca

You mean the Han Bespin 12" Figure? I have that too ! I Really bought it to tare apart and use to build a Han custom using a resin copy of the Gentle giant Han Stormtrooper !!
SWHANSTORMTROOPER.png

Don't get me wrong I'm as avid a collector as anyone. I really want someone to nail it.
The best thing about the gentle giant sculpts is that mostly their from laser scans, and in that way very acurate, check out their Han mini bust it is in my opinion the best likeness of Ford yet.

Han_Solo-minibust-L.jpg

I used a resin cast of this head with completely resculpted hair and stubble for what I feel is my best Indy yet.
Its a ringer for the depiction of indy from the original raiders poster.

ROTLAPoster02.jpg

I take it everyone has seen the prototype Hasbro 12" figure? Any opinions on that so far?

deckard24

From what I saw the Hasbro 12" wasn't too great!

The Han in stormtrooper gear is a pretty good likeness, but the smiling Han below it feels off to me. The hair and eyes look good, but the smile and nose are off. Maybe it looks better at different angles?

mfisher

barranca... post some pics of the reworked gentle giant head.. I too had planned on buying that statue for the same purpose.... I want to see how yours came out !

barranca

I'm really not sure about the Hasbro 12"

indy_12.jpg

The hats really nice !! I'm sure everything else was just cobbled together last minute for the display. The head looks 'overworked' hasbro usually dont give a Damn about accuracy of sculpt, they usually just go for 'good enough'. Anyone who has any of the Star wars 12" line will tell you that.....although toward the end of that line they did improve vastly.

mfisher, I'll try and get a couple of headshots soon of my three best Indy's

SW_Han.jpg

And for anyon who hasn't seen the Arnie kim figure (with its googly eyes !! ha !) here ya go...Try this link :-
http://dosan.skku.ac.kr/~sjkim/sjkim_hobby.html
Then scroll down.
Or theres this shot, not the best but it shows three of his Fords. Perhaps it explains what I mean about how different Harrison can look in different roles.

24.jpg

deckard24

The wait for this figure is killing me! Anybody know or heard anything related to its progress? I really hope they don't make us wait until right before KotCS is released!

Deckard

What rly sucks is im waiting to pick up a premium 1/4 and theres no news on that front at all. Im afraid there going to take until the movie is almost out to start pre-orders and w. Sideshow its like a 6 month wait until the figures finaly arrive. I wouldnt be surprised if it took until next Christmas b4 i see this guy.

deckard24

They seemed to kick out the LotR and Star Wars figures pretty quick, so you never know with Sideshow? I just checked the main site and there's no new info at all! They still don't even have a section for the products yet?

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those Arnie Kim figures! Does anyone know if they are for sale?

barranca

Its almost impossible to get hold of an Arnie kim figure, however the 'head' is a different kettle of fish.
Resin Casts of these do pop up from time to time, the best place to look - ebay of course, a guy called 'bionic-joe' sells it and so do one or two others. Then you could put together a custom....
That, I'm afraid, is as close as your likely to get.
(Arnie only made 25 indy figures to my knowledge, there was a brief suggestion they may get a bigger run, but sadly it was just a rumour ).

barranca

Has anyone seen the latest sideshow sculpt of Harrison?. Its good. looks better unpainted.
It seems they werent happy with their last take, and this is a vast improvement, but sadly still not quite there.
I just hope they can improve on this for Dr Jones...........

2170_press03-001.jpg

han_prodblog_03.jpg

han_prodblog_02.jpg

Does anyone note any simularities between this and the prototype the showed at comic-con?

mfisher

considering it was done by the same sculptor there are definitely similarities... the sculpt is a a very fine rendering... the paint aps are what kinda throw the resemblance... I usually repaint all of my figures anyway, so I am not worried about that end of it... I just can't wait to see how they do the fedora though... that will be the make or break piece that will bring the headsculpt together.. I know there are fans of the Arnie Kim sculpt.. but looking at that head with that god awful fedora pretty much kills the Indy resemblance in my opinion.. ( just an opinion though.. don't anyone get upset).. as for the hasbro figure... well... that one just sucks.. but.. it is a kids toy.. not a piece for collectors.. so I am happy to see it hit stores for a new generation of Indy fans... ( I loved my old 80's Kenner 12" Indy when I had one)

deckard24

I agree the Solo sculpt looks way better unpainted! That always seems to be the weakest part of Sideshow's 12'' lines. The likeness though is pretty spot on, some minor issues(his nose needs to be crooked and a tad bit bigger) but overall it's pretty damn good. Keep up the good work Trevor!

Barranca thanks for the heads up on the Kim figures! It's too bad they are so scarce, but hopefully Sideshow will knock the Indy line out of the park, and get us something in the next few months! I'm dying for some info, pics, etc..:( I agree the Solo scuplt looks very similar to the Indy sculpt shown at Comic Con.

tnswman

barranca said:
Has anyone seen the latest sideshow sculpt of Harrison?. Its good. looks better unpainted.
It seems they werent happy with their last take, and this is a vast improvement, but sadly still not quite there.
I just hope they can improve on this for Dr Jones...........

2170_press03-001.jpg

han_prodblog_03.jpg

han_prodblog_02.jpg

Does anyone note any simularities between this and the prototype the showed at comic-con?

THANK YOU!! this is what I have been saying about sideshow's Paint apps.. .The Sculpts are DEAD on but the paiting takes away from the figure :(