Worst Movies You Admit to Owning (And Maybe Even Loving...)

RocketSledFight

Bored, so I thought I'd start up a thread after looking through my DVD collection and realizing that I own an awful lot of movies that others wouldn't dare touch.

While I think I have a pretty good taste in movies, I'd say my collection leans more to genre films and off kilter stuff that none of my friends really have available. For every Schindler's List I have purchased, I seem to have a Tremors 3: Back to Perfection.

But enough blabbing ? what are the worst movies you own? And for those brave enough to admit it, which of those movies do you watch more than you know you should?

Some low points in my collection:

1. Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 ? While not the most awful entry in the series, the apple definitely fell very far from the tree after Hooper left. I do watch this for an early and entertaining Viggo Mortensen appearance as well as the always great Ken Foree.

2. Super Mario Bros. The Movie ? Man, oh man, do I have a soft spot in my heart for Bob Hoskins and the 2 inch tall Bob-omb.

3. Freddy Vs. Jason ? This is the only entry in either of these characters series that I own. Why this is the one I chose to purchase, I have no idea. Actually, I don't even know where or when I got it. In retrospect, I must have been drunk. Yes, that has to be it.

4. Jaws 3D/Jaws The Revenge ? I love Jaws. It's my favorite movie. My mother lent me the complete-ist gene. And whatever genes of self-restraint my dad passed down really must have failed me one night at Best Buy.

5. Doom ? Sits next to SMB The Movie in order to remind me that obsession with video game franchises and hazy theater memories do not justify further investments on home video.

Maybe I could do worse. But I could definitely do better. Spill it, guys, what terrible movies are sitting on your shelf?

Crack that whip

Is the fact this topic is posted in the Indy IV forum rather than in Films meant to be a sly dig at the latest Indy adventure, did you forget where you were, or what? :p ;)

Edit: nevermind; I now see the responses that came along after I started mine.

The worst movie I have on DVD... hrm. Actually, I do have a bunch of episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000 on DVD, which makes selecting the worst ones I have pretty easy, assuming that's not cheating... :p

RocketSledFight

Crack that whip said:
Is the fact this topic is posted in the Indy IV forum rather than in Films meant to be a sly dig at the latest Indy adventure, did you forget where you were, or what? :p ;)

The worst movie I have on DVD... hrm. Actually, I do have a bunch of episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000 on DVD, which makes selecting the worst ones I have pretty easy, assuming that's not cheating... :p

Nah, I dig Indy 4. Forgot where I was. The MST3K stamp upon any film elevates that film by roughly 7.5 stars, too. I'm so happy I discovered all those episodes on Youtube...

Crack that whip

Indeed. The MST3K episodes whose movies I have only as MST3K episodes probably aren't really suitable for the purposes of this thread, since the MST3K treatment tends to make them utterly hilarious. However, some of those discs also include the "straight," non-MST'ed, original versions of the movies as their "DVD extras," so I actually do have some of those movies in "just plain movie" form as well as "MST3K episode" form.

(It's a curious reversal of traditional movie DVD extras, actually - instead of an option to add a commentary track, there's an option to take one away...:p )

The worst movie I own. Hmmm. I think I can narrow it down to a top 5 (or would it be a bottom 5?), mostly courtesy of my wife, although I can't blame it all on her.

1. LA Story - I thought I could like anything with Steve Martin behind it - this movie proved me wrong.
2. Wimbledon - Possibly the lamest chick flick known to man.
3. Dear God - Somehow I remembered seeing this in the theaters and liking it. Then I got the DVD out of Walmart's bargain bin and realized I must have a really bad memory.
4. Gone in Sixty Seconds (the original 74 version) - Maybe the most boring movie ever. It features the longest chase scene in movie history, which also happens to be the most uninspired and slow moving chase scene in movie history. And that doesn't even include the acting.
5. The Stupids - Oh man, this movie is awful. 3 funny moments mixed in with 90 minutes of utter crap.

RocketSledFight

robisindy said:
2. Wimbledon - Possibly the lamest chick flick known to man.

Reaaally lame movie, but I also saw it in the theater and have a soft spot in my heart for it because it was part of one of the best date nights I've ever had.. cheesy, I know.

However, I will never watch it again, fearing tarnishing good memories.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
RocketSledFight said:
Totally entered this into the wrong thread ? apologies in advance. Can I move this thing myself?

Heh, good. Carelessness I'll go some ways to defend, but I think you'll understand why that wasn't my first reaction on reading the thread title, considering tendencies around these parts.

Thread moved.

DocWhiskey

Mario Bros. Film.

All the Nightmare on Elm Streets (It gets bad after 3)

Ang Lee's Hulk

X-men 3

Mortal Kombat 2

Robocop 3

WillKill4Food

Pirates of the Caribbean 2 & 3
Mummy 2 (yeah, it's a horrible movie, but I watch it occasionally, if not just to laugh at how bad it is)
Batman & Robin
The Naked Gun movies

DocWhiskey

RocketSledFight said:
Understand the X3 hate, but no way is it next to MK2 in terms of crap.

You're right. I listed b/c I personally don't like but own it. It's still decent on it's own, but a let down as an X-men film.

And I have Batman and Robin too.