Is anyone else bugged by Indiana Jones' "movie mistakes"?

chr0n0naut

Ok so all movies have them. But when you watch them over and over again the mistakes get engrained into your brain and nag at you.

Here are a few of the minor ones (and I'm sure some of you will already know of them) that just bug me a little:

WARNING: IF MOVIE MISTAKES REALLY BUG YOU AND MIGHT RUIN THE MOVIE IN ANY WAY DON'T READ ON

Raiders
  • The grating on the top of the cargo truck breaks off but then is fixed a few moments later
  • The reflection in the windsheild of the cargo truck shows trees but on the wide shot they are in open desert

Temple
  • When Willie frees Indy and Short Round from the spike room - during the shot where she runs in and hits the button on the wall with her bum the guy in the background isn't harrison ford! (no kidding... this is the worst one I've found)
  • When Indy cuts the rope bridge about twice the amount of Thugees fall off that were actually ON the bridge.

Crusade
  • When Vogel is strangling Indy with the chain and Indy punches a Nazi in the face (who then falls onto the tread and is crushed by it when he falls off) watch the Nazi's hat very carefully :(
  • Indy drops a luger into the tanks and yells "Dad... Dad get out!" his hat comes off but is on again in the next shot
  • Vogel's "body" has his hands attached to the tank as it hits the canyon floor
  • The breath of god blade would cut the victums head in two... not clean off as happens with the Hatay soliders.

Crystal
  • When Indy says "...there were a lot of Mary's" and Mutt gets mad, watch the sauce bottles... *cringe*

There are lots more. But please don't misunderstand me. There are no more than there would be in ANY other movie.

I am NOT criticising the movies. I love Indiana Jones and will watch them til I die. The greatness of the movies themselves FAR outweigh any of these minor faults but I just needed to vent to others and see if anyone else is nagged but these minor mistakes.

caats

what the. no indy says "there were a lot of marions". the "ons" is just a lil quieter.

also, in the LC intro, the train goes through this ravine of trees, and when Indy escapes through the trunk and runs back, the mountains/trees are gone.

i seriously doubt these things ruin movies for all people. i think it's fun to find these things in movies. these don't bug me at all. also, explain the breath of god blade thing, cause i don't get what you mean

Attila the Professor

Staff member
caats said:
what the. no indy says "there were a lot of marions". the "ons" is just a lil quieter.

Is there any sensible reason that that would be what he said? It's Mary's, as in , "there were a lot of Mary's, kid."

Adam McDaniel

Also, near the end of CRYSTAL SKULL, Indy's hat gets completely soaked after the waterfalls...but when he enters Akator in the very next scene, not only is his hat completely dry, but it's still in perfect shape!

caats

k, i'm confused. why would he say there were a lot of marys?

edit: well i went back and watched and wow. somehow i've added a "ion" every time i've watched that scene. which is probably around 15. even when mutt says it . my brain is playin tricks on me!

Last edited:

chr0n0naut

caats said:
also, explain the breath of god blade thing, cause i don't get what you mean

When Indy ducks the blade and rolls forward, think what would have happened if the blade had hit him. It would not have cut through his neck in a horizontal fashion. It would have hit the side of his face and split his head in two.

Think of someone chopping someones head off with a sword as opposed to sticking a sword in someones ear.

The way the blade WOULD HAVE cut Indy in the LC would NOT have decapitated him in the manner the Hatay soliders were decapitated.

Again though, I stress that this doesn't detract from the movie, its just a small mistake that nags me a little. :rolleyes:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
chr0n0naut said:
When Indy ducks the blade and rolls forward, think what would have happened if the blade had hit him. It would not have cut through his neck in a horizontal fashion. It would have hit the side of his face and split his head in two.

Think of someone chopping someones head off with a sword as opposed to sticking a sword in someones ear.

The way the blade WOULD HAVE cut Indy in the LC would NOT have decapitated him in the manner the Hatay soliders were decapitated.

Again though, I stress that this doesn't detract from the movie, its just a small mistake that nags me a little. :rolleyes:

Wait, so do you mean the second of the two blades?

emtiem

chr0n0naut said:
Temple
  • When Willie frees Indy and Short Round from the spike room - during the shot where she runs in and hits the button on the wall with her bum the guy in the background isn't harrison ford! (no kidding... this is the worst one I've found)

That's the funniest one for me- I couldn't believe it when I spotted it! Just shows what you can get away with in movies! :)

vf wing

Yeah, I've always imagined I heard them say "Marion" and "Marions" til I saw some subtitles. I guess since I knew she was coming, I just mentally filled in the blank. That scene had previously stood out as a bit of a stretch, as the word "Marion" should have triggered some familiarity in Indy, since he almost married a woman by that name. But "Mary" is excusable.

I catch myself watching for inconsistencies in those condiment bottles too, but haven't caught any yet. There is a cut in that scene where the expressions on Harrison's face don't match up that well, but the same could be said of virtually any movie, if you watch it enough times.

Crack that whip

Mistakes in movies really diminish my ability to enjoy the movies, to the point where I'm avoiding looking at most of the posts in this thread; I'm just popping in to add my quick, non-specific, non-spoiling contribution. I hate it when I find some continuity glitch or whatever in one of my favorite movies, and I'm always a bit mystified by those who delight in finding them, and dismayed when I see them mentioned in threads here and other movie-related forums without so much as a spoiler warning or the like.

If it's a matter of factual error in a movie, I don't mind knowing why the movie is wrong about something since the knowledge is potentially more valuable, but simply noticing continuity errors or visible production equipment or the like doesn't add anything to my understanding of the world in which I live or to my appreciation of movies (unless they're ones I enjoy mocking, à la Mystery Science Theater 3000).

chr0n0naut

Attila the Professor said:
Wait, so do you mean the second of the two blades?

No I don't mean the second one that comes out from the floor. I mean the first blade that comes out of the wall to the right of Indy's head.

Just as he says "kneel!" the blade sticks out as if someone with a sword is simply jabbing the blade through the wall. If this had hit Indy it would have stabbed him in the ear. It would not have sliced through his neck. (n)

The blade would thus not have cut the heads of the Hatay warriors off as they were depicted a few moments before.

I tried to take a screenshot but the PC I'm using is having issues at the moment :p

My advice would be just to watch it a couple of times and think what would have happened if, heaven forbid, Indy was not fast enough. :eek:

Benraianajones

Nope, it doesn't bother me at all.

I could pick holes out of all 4 Indy films, and pretty much every other I watch. But at the end of the day, why would I want to? There are a few more I've noticed and no one has listed, but I wont reveal them. Where is the fun in pointing out holes in things.

chr0n0naut

vf wing said:
I catch myself watching for inconsistencies in those condiment bottles too, but haven't caught any yet.

When Mutt slams his hand down on the table the mustard and tomatoe sauce bottles fall over.

Then in the following over-the-shoulder shot of Indy saying "You don't have to get sore all the time just to prove how tough you are" the bottles are up-right.

But then in the next shot Indy is putting the bottles back up.

Ok I'm gonna stop now. It's startin to feel like I'm picking the movies to pieces, when the only reason I know them is coz I watch 'em so much ;)

Dr Bones

I did actually think that both Mutt and Indy said Mary but I have only watched it twice..

I assumed Marion had simply shortened her name to Mary and that's why Indy didn't recognise the name.... as surely the Marion "they weren't you" would have rung a bell.

People often change there names...especially in this series!

Henry- Indy
Henry III- Mutt
Oxley- OX
Whatever Willie's real name is..Wilomena?
Pretty sure Short Round wasn't his birth name...cruel parents if so!

So Mary-Marion makes sense.

chr0n0naut

Benraianajones said:
Nope, it doesn't bother me at all.

I could pick holes out of all 4 Indy films, and pretty much every other I watch. But at the end of the day, why would I want to? There are a few more I've noticed and no one has listed, but I wont reveal them. Where is the fun in pointing out holes in things.

Yeah I know there are others. But I don't look for them deliberately.

I'm actually a little gutted when I find them (by accident) and can't help but notice them each time they come up and it's slightly annoying.

But as I've said before, it doesn't deminish the quality of the films in an real way.

Johnny Nys

A perfect movie? That would require a complete perfect production team. I don't even know one perfect human being; does anyone?

Yes, movie mistakes are inevitable. But that's not the same as them being intolerable.

Sure, I'll notice them, but usually I'm too deep into the story for that. And when I do notice them, do I stand up and leave the room shouting "That's it, this movie's ruined!" No, because I'm a sensable person who can put things into perspective.

I watch movies to have fun. Even when my girlfriend drags me to one I don't particularly want to see, usually because I'll think it'll be bad, I end up enjoying it, flaws and all. Because what good will it do me eating myself up over it?

Dr Bones

I only saw Indy's jacket "disappear" on the ship in ROLA for the first time last night....all these years and I never noticed it before!!

Also one other thing that bugged me..

The beginning of ROLA Indy has 3 people with him. 2 utlimately die and 1 just runs away.

So, Jock's plane only ahd 2 seats. Were the other 3 meant to wing walk had they returned with Indy anf the idol?