Alison Doody's thoughts on Cate Blanchett

otto rahn

deckard24 said:
That's a interesting theory Zir!

I'm trying to think right now of all the actresses who have starred in movies with Ford and for the most part they've all fell into relative obscurity. Carrie Fisher, Karen Allen, Sean Young, Anne Archer, Kelly McGillis, Kate Capshaw, Julia Ormond, Melanie Griffith, Alison Doody, Bonnie Bedelia, and Sela Ward all have not remained in the mainstream public eye. Their careers all lapsed and or are trying to make comebacks.

The only ones to still be pretty prominent are Sigourney Weaver(on TV I think), Annete Benning, Virginia Madsen, Anne Heche(TV), Michelle Pfieffer, and of course Helen Mirren(recent oscar for The Queen).

Maybe Count Harrison did devour their talent? lol!
To be fair both Kate Capshaw and Carrie Fisher seem to have developed successful careers in other areas than acting. Capshaw married Spielberg and Fisher is a novelist !;)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
ElsaFan said:
Ugh? Can you find other instances where I compared Alison Doody to other women? Or used the argument that she was classy as a tool to criticize other women? I sincerely can't remember....

I skimmed through...here's what I've got.

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?p=238564#post238564
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?p=237839#post237839
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?p=233031#post233031
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?p=233025#post233025
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?p=233022#post233022

Kingsley

Well, Cate Blanchett is taking a break in his career, so she may fit momentanely that womens list too. But the talented actresses proved there isn't any curse.

ElsaFan

Attila, I don't see how respecting women for not making abusive use of botox can be perceived by you as gratuitous meanness or talking in bad faith.

And saying that S. Somers is an old barbie doll with too much makeup, I think is stating a fact. The poor old lady doesn't know she's 60 and is making a fool of herself on the red carpet, while classy older women like Maggie Smith, Helen Mirren and Vanessa Redgrave hold up just fine and do not need to paint their faces like clowns to look good. Yes I said that Alison looked better than Suzanne Somers, but in fact every actress looks better, except perhaps Joan Rivers.

And yes, Kate Capshaw and Karen Allen on that ONE picture from the DVD press junket look stoned, but that was a JOKE. Or you might not know what a joke is. I never said K. Capshaw and K. Allen were ugly and talentless old hags. In fact, I sincerely think that both of them are better actresses than Alison Doody. If you're unable to take my comments in the humorous light they were meant to be taken, then I can't do anything. I don't understand why you are constantly offended by me saying that Alison Doody is a beautiful woman. But I never ever said she was the only one. It's just easier for me to say she is.

chapter11

ElsaFan said:
I don't understand why you are constantly offended by me saying that Alison Doody is a beautiful woman. But I never ever said she was the only one. It's just easier for me to say she is.

Perhaps it's the fact that you're constantly harping on the same thing that set Attilla off? also, isn't it a bit insulting (and presumptive) to say that the only women getting parts in Hollywood these days are giving sexual favors to the producers??

Last edited:

ElsaFan

I said that tongue in cheek. That's hearsay. I know nothing about the movie business, the audition process or how favors can help you. I wasn't accusing anyone or pinpointing someone in particular. Just stating what everybody thinks nowadays. It's been denounced by many influential actors and actresses, by the way.

No Ticket

So I'm guessing Shia's gonna get all his potential success sucked up by the vamperous Ford. ... is vamperous a word? Probably not. So all you Shia haters out there rejoice.

I realize he is a dude but umm... Mark Hamill anybody?

indyfan85

Mark Hamill still went on to do cool things like Wing Commander. Shia will probably just fall out of existence, River Phoenix anybody?

:p

commontone

indyfan85 said:
Mark Hamill still went on to do cool things like Wing Commander. Shia will probably just fall out of existence, River Phoenix anybody?

Are you aware River Phoenix died of a drug overdose in 1993? I'm not sure what you're joking about.

sunshinestate1992

indyfan85 said:

No shia wont die
out
im not a die hard fan
but hes a good actor that will not fall out of existence .
most people say that becuase he got a big break

indyfan85

commontone said:
Are you aware River Phoenix died of a drug overdose in 1993? I'm not sure what you're joking about.

Exactly, that was a bit of a grim joke though, I don't really wish for Shia to die. :(

Vendetta08

No Ticket said:
So I'm guessing Shia's gonna get all his potential success sucked up by the vamperous Ford. ... is vamperous a word? Probably not. So all you Shia haters out there rejoice.

I realize he is a dude but umm... Mark Hamill anybody?

Shia has been in several successful movies, his career is still just beginning. Hamill was a one hit wonder. He's now in a cardboard box living outside of Warner Brothers studios auditioning for voice overs.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
ElsaFan said:
Attila, I don't see how respecting women for not making abusive use of botox can be perceived by you as gratuitous meanness or talking in bad faith.

And saying that S. Somers is an old barbie doll with too much makeup, I think is stating a fact. The poor old lady doesn't know she's 60 and is making a fool of herself on the red carpet, while classy older women like Maggie Smith, Helen Mirren and Vanessa Redgrave hold up just fine and do not need to paint their faces like clowns to look good. Yes I said that Alison looked better than Suzanne Somers, but in fact every actress looks better, except perhaps Joan Rivers.

And yes, Kate Capshaw and Karen Allen on that ONE picture from the DVD press junket look stoned, but that was a JOKE. Or you might not know what a joke is. I never said K. Capshaw and K. Allen were ugly and talentless old hags. In fact, I sincerely think that both of them are better actresses than Alison Doody. If you're unable to take my comments in the humorous light they were meant to be taken, then I can't do anything. I don't understand why you are constantly offended by me saying that Alison Doody is a beautiful woman. But I never ever said she was the only one. It's just easier for me to say she is.

Okay, let me spell it out clearly for you then. I object to you defending Alison Doody on the grounds that she is classy when you aren't so in the least.

ElsaFan

What's up with the personal attacks? Are you in any way related to Suzanne Somers? If so, I sincerely apologize. Otherwise, your insults are uncalled for, which makes you even less classy than you think I am.

I might not be respected as much as you are on these boards, but that doesn't give you the right to be so condescending or patronizing towards others.

If my modest contribution to these boards isn't well regarded or is altogether not appreciated, then let others say it while the door is opened. I will leave these boards if that is the way everybody feels.

There is no need for 'Assaulting' Elsafan. He likes Doody. So what? Persistent posting about one person is fine. We all persistently post about Indy. What's the diff? :hat:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
ElsaFan said:
What's up with the personal attacks? Are you in any way related to Suzanne Somers? If so, I sincerely apologize. Otherwise, your insults are uncalled for, which makes you even less classy than you think I am.

I might not be respected as much as you are on these boards, but that doesn't give you the right to be so condescending or patronizing towards others.

If my modest contribution to these boards isn't well regarded or is altogether not appreciated, then let others say it while the door is opened. I will leave these boards if that is the way everybody feels.

Please, let's not do the persecuted bit? All I'm saying is that the argument you make for Alison Doody doesn't jibe with your use of frankly below-the-belt attacks on other actresses as a means to make that point. I have no problem with you apart from that; I'm not objecting to you as a human being or even as a member of the Raven but merely to this facet of what you're posting. There's a difference.

Shortie

Vendetta08 said:
Shia has been in several successful movies, his career is still just beginning. Hamill was a one hit wonder. He's now in a cardboard box living outside of Warner Brothers studios auditioning for voice overs.
LOL. :D

As Peter as Han said in SW Family Guy.
"I'm Han Solo & the only actor who's career isn't ruined by this movie"

ElsaFan

"Frankly below-the-belt attacks on other actresses"

Two *jokes* which you did not digest for some reason... Suzanne Somers looking like a barbie doll, and Karen Allen and Kate Capshaw looking stoned on a single picture. Big deal. It's not like I have a long history of bashing women.

Don't be such a vierge offensée.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I'd be fine with taking your jokes as jokes; it's the incongruity that I find notable, and I think you know that.

It's fine...I think hypocrisy is among the sillier charges that people make anyhow, especially since it's so often just the failure or unwillingness to recognize that people are inconsistent by nature.

I shouldn't have made such a big thing of this. Let's get on with it, then.

Kingsley

Attila the Professor said:
I think hypocrisy is among the sillier charges that people make anyhow, especially since it's so often just the failure or unwillingness to recognize that people are inconsistent by nature.
Agree. But we are a little off topic now ;)