Alison Doody's thoughts on Cate Blanchett

ElsaFan

"She's a *****"

Nah, seriously. Here's what she had to say earlier this week:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
ACTING is still off the cards for glamourous mum of two, Alison Doody.

The Indiana Jones star revealed that she has traded her Hollywood days for taking care of her two young daughters.

Speaking at the launch of South, the new state of the art restaurant and bar at Sandyford, which was opened in June by Ronan Ryan and Temple Garner, she revealed: "I'm not planning to go back to work unless something really grabs me. I've been out of the business for so long now and it's all changed.

"So it's hard to really say what would draw me back in -- it would have to depend on the character and the script."

However, she added: "Kate Winslet has taken over for me in the new Indiana Jones, so that's not too bad!"
----------------------------------------------------------------

I assume the Kate Winslet thing is just a major typo!!

|ZiR|

Uh, Kate Winslet =/= Cate Blanchett. I sometimes get my celebs mixed up, but you couldn't pick two more different actors. Maybe it was a subtle jab at their choice in casting Blanchett. Hmm.

I feel bad for Doody. She was never able to recapture the success of LC. The same can be said for Capshaw, and Allen, too. There's like, an Indy girl curse or something. I wonder if that means Alison is cursed twofold, y'know, since she was also a Bond girl.

|ZiR|

Is it, though? Femininity (read: SEX) sells.

And upon reflection, I think that being in a movie with Harrison Ford might be the curse. No, listen: he's worked with quite a lot of promising actors, right? Actors whose careers fizzled out after being in a movie with Ford.

Maybe Harrison is some kind of talent-devouring vampire. That would explain why he remains a star, despite all the stinkers he's done recently. His films can flop and he'll still remain as an A-list actor because of all the energy, essence, etc., that he's leeched from the hopeful throughout the years.

deckard24

That's a interesting theory Zir!

I'm trying to think right now of all the actresses who have starred in movies with Ford and for the most part they've all fell into relative obscurity. Carrie Fisher, Karen Allen, Sean Young, Anne Archer, Kelly McGillis, Kate Capshaw, Julia Ormond, Melanie Griffith, Alison Doody, Bonnie Bedelia, and Sela Ward all have not remained in the mainstream public eye. Their careers all lapsed and or are trying to make comebacks.

The only ones to still be pretty prominent are Sigourney Weaver(on TV I think), Annete Benning, Virginia Madsen, Anne Heche(TV), Michelle Pfieffer, and of course Helen Mirren(recent oscar for The Queen).

Maybe Count Harrison did devour their talent? lol!

Last edited:

Michael24

ElsaFan said:
"I'm not planning to go back to work unless something really grabs me. I've been out of the business for so long now and it's all changed.

Hmmm. Did she forget the KING SOLOMAN'S MINES remake she just did with Patrick Swazye about two years ago?

Anyway, it's a shame she never did more after THE LAST CRUSADE. She seemed like a capable actress and was certainly (IMO) a rather beautiful woman, and still so I thought in the KSM remake a couple of years ago.

ElsaFan

I wonder what she means when she says that the business has changed since her Hollywood days.

She might be refering to the fact that now, if you want a good role in a good movie, you've got to blow the producer. Literally. And Ms Doody's too class for that.

|ZiR|

ElsaFan said:
She might be refering to the fact that now, if you want a good role in a good movie, you've got to blow the producer. Literally.

That. And, y'know, talent helps. Shame Harrison Ford absorbed all of hers during the dawn of her career.

deckard24 said:
That's a interesting theory Zir!

I'm trying to think right now of all the actresses who have starred in movies with Ford and for the most part they've all fell into relative obscurity. Carrie Fisher, Karen Allen, Sean Young, Anne Archer, Kelly McGillis, Kate Capshaw, Julia Ormond, Melanie Griffith, Alison Doody, Bonnie Bedelia, and Sela Ward all have not remained in the mainstream public eye. Their careers all lapsed and or are trying to make comebacks.

The only ones to still be pretty prominent are Sigourney Weaver(on TV I think), Annete Benning, Virginia Madsen, Anne Heche(TV), Michelle Pfieffer, and of course Helen Mirren(recent oscar for The Queen).

Maybe Count Harrison did devour their talent? lol!

Yes. It's the only logical explaination, to be sure. Nice list too. I had forgotten about a few of those. Man, he's done more damage than I'd realized.

I also have reason to believe that one doesn't necessarily have to star in a movie with Ford to fall victim; all that's required is close proximity. Calista Flockhart for example. She hasn't had big hit since Ally McBeal, which ended in 2002. '02, the same year she became involved with Harrison!

Mere coincidence? I think not. The only question that remains is what do with do with this newfound knowledge? Warn the SAG? Alert the acting world to Ford's dark secret?

No. Ford cannot be stopped. Not at this point. He's grown too powerful to be defeated by mortal hands. I suppose all we can do is wait. Wait and watch. It'll be an entertaining vigil, at the very least. I dunno about you all, but I could look at Ford all day. Vampire or no. :p

ElsaFan

Doody does not lack talent, I might be biased but I sincerely don't think so. Look at her earlier pieces: The Secret Garden, Echoes, A Prayer for the Dying, she's very good. And even her more recent parts have been good: in King Solomon's Mines and Waking the Dead.

In 2005, in an interview with Social & Personal, she revealed she was ecstatic after being given a second chance at stardom, after her appearance in KSM. She also said her office was buried under scripts, but she was waiting for something special to grasp her. She even refused a three year contact recently to appear in a British TV series. And now, in 2007, she says she's disenchanted with the business and she doesn't think she'll go back to movies. That's a strange change of mind...

|ZiR|

Oh, I'm sure she had talent. Just that, like, Ford sucked it all up.

Joking aside, what I was responding to was the "if you want a good role in a good movie, you've have to blow the producer" bit. That's simply not true.

As for Doody, admittedly the only thing I've ever seen her in was Last Crusade, but just from that I think she's a good actor. I mean, considering the material and that some of her scenes were ultimately cut from the film, I thought she gave a solid performance as the troubled Elsa. In the hands of a less capable actress, Elsa might have been pretty one-dimensional.

All the Indy girls were great. Which makes it all the worse that they were struck by the 'curse'. :(

Indy_Chic

|ZiR| said:
I also have reason to believe that one doesn't necessarily have to star in a movie with Ford to fall victim; all that's required is close proximity. Calista Flockhart for example. She hasn't had big hit since Ally McBeal, which ended in 2002. '02, the same year she became involved with Harrison!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Now that is just plain freaky...

|ZiR| said:
Ford cannot be stopped. Not at this point. He's grown too powerful to be defeated by mortal hands.

Hahaha!! :D

Attila the Professor

Staff member
ElsaFan said:
I wonder what she means when she says that the business has changed since her Hollywood days.

She might be refering to the fact that now, if you want a good role in a good movie, you've got to blow the producer. Literally. And Ms Doody's too class for that.

Why does your constant idolatry of Alison Doody express itself in defenses of her alleged classiness that so often criticize other women as ugly or whorey or both? This isn't the first time you've done this...yeah, real classy.

ElsaFan

Ugh? Can you find other instances where I compared Alison Doody to other women? Or used the argument that she was classy as a tool to criticize other women? I sincerely can't remember....

sunshinestate1992

Attila the Professor said:
Why does your constant idolatry of Alison Doody express itself in defenses of her alleged classiness that so often criticize other women as ugly or whorey or both? This isn't the first time you've done this...yeah, real classy.
ur right ill settle this testicle that is all .
cmon guys who cares im on ur side attila haahaaffafagfdfhjugmh