Password

Old 01-27-2015, 02:53 PM   #1
Goonie
IndyFan

Disney eyeing Chris Pratt

Star Lord as Indy?!?
Disney Eyeing Chris Pratt For Indiana Jones Revival

Might work...

The opening scene in Guardians was just like Indy.

Last edited by Goonie : 01-27-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:26 PM   #2
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Works for me. He does the reluctant hero bit well.

Probably discussed to death in its own thread already, but...

Clean break?
YIJC-style bookends by Ford?
LC-esque teaser with the new guy but the main adventure with Ford?
Other bridging mechanism?

What's your preference, and separately what do you think Disney would do?
InexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:20 PM   #3
Silvor
IndyFan

Aaargh, again with the recasting rumors.
Last time it was Bradley Cooper now it's Chris Pratt.
Why on earth recast the role when Ford is still willing and able to play Indy again?
Why not just create a new adventure movie series with Pratt as a new character? He certainly seems popular enough to pull it off.
Let Ford have Indy because he IS Indy.
Silvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:42 PM   #4
TheFedora
IndyFan

So the trades are picking it up...I can imagine it being done if they do a fountain of youth type story here.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:08 PM   #5
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InexorableTash
Works for me. He does the reluctant hero bit well.

Probably discussed to death in its own thread already, but...

Clean break?
YIJC-style bookends by Ford?
LC-esque teaser with the new guy but the main adventure with Ford?
Other bridging mechanism?

What's your preference, and separately what do you think Disney would do?

Start with Ford, end with Pratt.

My idea is to do a Fountain of Youth type plot. Would that work?

Oh and Latino Review is claiming 2018-2019 for Indy 5.

Last edited by TheFedora : 01-27-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:42 PM   #6
Skylover SC
IndyFan

Quote:
Here is what Deadline IS NOT telling you that your friendly neighborhood fanboy journo will. INDIANA JONES reboot EYED for 2018-2019. RT
https://twitter.com/elmayimbe/status/560162249663590401

Quote:
While studio likes they also like other actors like Bradley Cooper and Chris Hemsworth aka the usual suspects.
https://twitter.com/krolljvar/status/560174848354156544
Skylover SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:13 AM   #7
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvor
Why not just create a new adventure movie series with Pratt as a new character? He certainly seems popular enough to pull it off.
Let Ford have Indy because he IS Indy.

I think its because the Indiana Jones name alone will be gauranteed to bring in a certain amount of business, more over than a new franchise with a new name.

But you are right, Ford is Indy and always will be, however in the future newer generations may look at whoever is playing him much like Bond fans compare the actors that play Bond, it depends on what era you get in to them.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:36 AM   #8
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

I don't know if I buy this, but if it's true I hope they go the route of having a crosscut story where you have Ford making a discovery in the "present" that ties into an unresolved adventure he had in the 30s (starring Pratt or whomever). In other words, have the movie plant one foot in "Indiana Jones 5," and another in a reboot. In this way you can properly send-off Harry and then future installments can be part of the reboot era. There's also some really interesting story potential in such a structure.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #9
featofstrength
IndyFan

Nah...gotta go with Idris Elba. Who else is hot right now....Peter Dinklage? Could go younger with Michael B. Jordan. OOO! How bout we reboot it in a new set of films that have no connection to the others and Indiana Jones is a woman?!
featofstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:51 AM   #10
TheFedora
IndyFan

What the trades are NOT telling people...

https://twitter.com/krolljvar/status/560174676857479170

Huh, no writer, no spielberg, and Pratt himself has no idea. Sounds like it still has a ways to go.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:57 AM   #11
Grizzlor
IndyFan

Bradley Cooper most likely turned them down. I like Chris Pratt, although how many major series can he be in? GOTG, Jur. Park, Indy? Overexposed?
Grizzlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:18 AM   #12
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

I feel similarly. I like Pratt too much to want him ruined by overexposure. There are worse options, though. A comic sensibility is quite key to Indy's character in my opinion.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #13
Grizzlor
IndyFan

I'm also in the John Rhys-Davies camp that it may not go over well to treat Nazi's somewhat comically again, although Inglorious Bastards pulled it off. In Ford's case, he's so old that the story must now move well into the Cold War era.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:27 AM   #14
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlor
Bradley Cooper most likely turned them down. I like Chris Pratt, although how many major series can he be in? GOTG, Jur. Park, Indy? Overexposed?

That is correct...if he gets Indy, thats three major tentpoles for him...Although I think personally that they are still in the talks stage for Pratt if anything. I'd have to hear more, like a plot, writer, director, etc.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:07 PM   #15
Grizzlor
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFedora
That is correct...if he gets Indy, thats three major tentpoles for him...Although I think personally that they are still in the talks stage for Pratt if anything. I'd have to hear more, like a plot, writer, director, etc.

Well Disney would need to sign him NOW, so that he's under contract and cannot take other films so his schedule is free. Frankly if I am Pratt I would turn them down. He's already signed for Guardians follow ups, and possible JP as well.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:28 PM   #16
kongisking
IndyFan

Hi folks. So, in the wake of the rumors about Disney rebooting Indy, and the firestorm of infighting I've seen it cause amongst the fandom here and elsewhere, I've finally decided to create a Facebook group, called The Indiana Jones Family. Specifically, I have seen comments and opinions that have offended and annoyed me for how close-minded and entitled they sound.

I have close friends who have been unfairly attacked for supporting recasting for a reboot, and felt like their validity as fans was being carelessly dismissed. I agree that that is immensely uncalled for, and so in response, I made my group as a community and safe haven for any Indiana Jones fans that are tolerant or outright excited by the idea of an Indy reboot, and just loves the character for the character, not just for Harrison Ford.

So, I give this open invitation for all to check out the group and join us, so we can show that true fans are open-minded, optimistic and non-dogmatic people who want to see our beloved Dr. Jones live on for years to come!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1594205170812608/
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:32 PM   #17
IndyForever
IndyFan

GTFO Ford is Indy Pratt is ANother bland actor flavour of the month !
IndyForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:21 PM   #18
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyForever
GTFO Ford is Indy Pratt is ANother bland actor flavour of the month !

Every actor in history who's early career explodes with roles is 'flavor of the month'. Even Harrison was. How do you think stars are even made in Hollywood?

This logic is silly.
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #19
Indy Jones
IndyFan

Totally on-board with another actor playing Indy (Harry already hasn't been the only guy), just don't want a reboot, though. But I can't see Disney wanting to go to the trouble of working within the established continuity, so we probably will get a reboot, which will disappoint me but not infuriate me.

But if they decided to make the film set in a year not yet tapped and make clear it's 'just another' adventure Indy's had, I'll be thrilled!
Indy Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:25 PM   #20
Goonie
IndyFan

As far as adventure/treasure hunt movies go, I just hope with this reboot, that Disney doesn't sideline the 3rd National Treasure movie. I still want to find out what's on Page 47.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:51 AM   #21
Glenville86
IndyFan

I would like to see the setting move into present time or close. Maybe the new guy could be Indy's Grandson and namesake. Have him with a tour of duty in the Marines or SF before going off to school to get his doctorate degree. Would give the character a little more of an intellectual badass vibe needed to be doing adventures in the modern world.
Glenville86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:03 AM   #22
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenville86
I would like to see the setting move into present time or close. Maybe the new guy could be Indy's Grandson and namesake. Have him with a tour of duty in the Marines or SF before going off to school to get his doctorate degree. Would give the character a little more of an intellectual badass vibe needed to be doing adventures in the modern world.

And then you lose almost everything that Indiana Jones was created to inspire.

It's Jack Hunter or Benjamin Franklin Gates territory, not Indiana Jones' world.

It's the world that Mutt looked ready to inflict upon us. Even 1957 was too late since it represents the period of decline in pulp serials.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:50 AM   #23
AndyLGR
IndyFan

I'm in agreement with Montana, Indy is a franchise that belongs in the 30's and 40's not the present day. I don't mind if its nazis either that are the villains as long as it remains true to tone of Raiders.

Personally I hope with a reboot or whatever that they use Raiders as the temple. I'm not a fan of the forced slapstick that they introduced in to subsequent films after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie
As far as adventure/treasure hunt movies go, I just hope with this reboot, that Disney doesn't sideline the 3rd National Treasure movie. I still want to find out what's on Page 47.
Same here, for my sins I really like the NT movies.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:45 AM   #24
Glenville86
IndyFan

I can see people wanting to recast the new actor to play the same person in the original series in the same time period.
Glenville86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:16 AM   #25
featofstrength
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
Every actor in history who's early career explodes with roles is 'flavor of the month'. Even Harrison was. How do you think stars are even made in Hollywood?

This logic is silly.

Gotta go with Idris Elba. Who else is hot right now....Peter Dinklage? Could go younger with Michael B. Jordan. OOO! How bout we reboot it in a new set of films that have no connection to the others and Indiana Jones is a woman?!

Sorry, guys. I like Chris Pratt, but he's just not the type. Face is too friendly? I liked Guardians of the Galaxy as much as the next guy, but that level of comedy...too goofy for me. And no amount of Marvel-minted abs can hide 7 years of Andy Dwyer:
featofstrength is offline   Reply With Quote