Ideal Bonus Dvd

bungle92

I personally felt that the special features for the Indy Dvds were a little lacking. I felt that there could have been some more to the 4th disc. Here's what I hoped for:

- deleted scenes: there were some interesting scenes from the Indy trilogy that I was very interested in seeing. Why couldn't they have included these? They could have had an option to watch the movies with the deleted scenes as well. The Godfather, Back to the Future, and even the Star Wars prequels have plethoras of them, why not Indy?

- picture gallery: This could have been an interesting feature. Like showing stills of the production behind the films, pics of the charcters from the films and then showing the film's cast and crew at the film's priemieres.

- various TV specials shown around the release of the films

Well that's just me, What about you guys?

Last edited:

the hammer42

I have three making of video's of all the Indy movies.
There is alot on those tapes that they should have put on the dvd.
Also I missed the deleted scene's and the photo gallery.
But it is a good dvd.

Finn

Staff member
We have some great, digitally remastered (and I mean "cleaned", not "special-editioned") Indiana Jones films in that box. And even if there would be zero bonuses on the discs.

I wouldn't even bother to still watch flicks on VHS with no bonuses whatsoever, if I didn't prefer the superior sound and video quality of DVD.

Katarn07

I thought it was enough but deleted scenes would have been good. And if you have a DVD-ROM, you can get the stills and/ or concept by popping the the discs into your PC and going to IJ.com I think. I think. I've never tried it myself but there's some content you can only get with your DVD-ROM drive ;)

I hope the SW stuff has alot more than the Indy one did. I almost need a bonus disk for each movie to make me happy :p

I was really hoping for deleted scenes.
But, who knows? If Indy IV comes out, maybe there will be the big "Special Edition" DVD's.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Ahhhh, the sorrid story of the Indy DVDs...I think I'm going to have to write an Adventurer's Column about that.
In short, the plans for the DVD were of epic porportions, but alas it was not to be as grand as they were supposed to be. Commentary by Lucas and Ford, deleted scenes were to be the the icing on an already great tasting cake of features.

Junior Jones

Do-it-yourself features. That's a good idea.

What about a short documentary feature about the true history of whatever artifact Indy is going after?

I

Indy's_main_man

If Indy 4 is made I want a box set with all the films and the most important feature by far would be director commentary. It looks like Paramount threw this togther pretty fast.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Do-it-yourself? You mean like the one in the Monty Python and the Holy Grail DVD, How to use your coconuts? :p

Welcome to the Raven, Indy's_main_man. You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave.

I don't need commentaries. If they include them, I want subtitles.

Last edited:

bungle92

Maybe we didn't need a commentary for the Indy dvd's since Spielberg and Lucas already gave us a scene by scene, character by character analysis. But, yeah I can understand why people were disappointed by the lack of commentaries.

I was really hoping that we would have those deleted scenes. They even showed some of them being filmed in the background during the making-of featurettes. Some of the deleted scenes for ToD (the palace garden scene, Chattar Lal's allegiance to the Thugs, etc.), in particular, were important to the story and I would have liked to have seen them.

grumpus

yeah deleted scenes would have been nice, but i liked Junior Jones idea about the short documentries about the artifacts. That way we could have all sorts of facts about them we might not know.

Strider

It would be cool if they made Indy DVDs like the Lord of the Rings Extended DVDs, with the deleted scenes that made sence put right into the movie and an uncanny amount of extra-features.

grumpus

the lord of the rings uber dvds. plenty of extra features. an indy dvd like that would be nice. there is just so much on them. i cant even finish them, now if indy had a dvd like that i wouldnt stop watching it until i was done

matthiassatlure

If I could, I'd want everything they have in the Lucasfilm archives. I'm never going to be satisfied completely...so I guess it's take what they give you.

bungle92

Strider said:
Still... I wish they put a little more effort in giving us more.

That's how I feel. Don't get me wrong it's a wonderous thing to have Indy on dvd but the overall meal still left me hungry for more. This is Indiana Jones, one of the best film series of all time. You would think they would have given us more? I liked how somebody mentioned the Lord of the Ring's extended editions, as those sets are a good example of how to release great films on dvd. The Alien Quadrilogy set is another superb example. With that set (Alien) and the Lord of the Rings sets, you could spend hours-to days immersing yourself in it. Don't get me wrong I had fun watching the making ofs and the featurettes on the Indy set but I just wish they gave us a bigger pool to jump into and swim in.

Junior Jones

For animation fans, Pixar's DVDs are also packed with extras. They've got a lot of animation tests and development stuff. And a lot of behind the scenes interviews. (Those guys look like they have a lot of fun.)

Finn

Staff member
bungle92 said:
That's how I feel. Don't get me wrong it's a wonderous thing to have Indy on dvd but the overall meal still left me hungry for more. This is Indiana Jones, one of the best film series of all time. You would think they would have given us more? I liked how somebody mentioned the Lord of the Ring's extended editions, as those sets are a good example of how to release great films on dvd. The Alien Quadrilogy set is another superb example. With that set (Alien) and the Lord of the Rings sets, you could spend hours-to days immersing yourself in it. Don't get me wrong I had fun watching the making ofs and the featurettes on the Indy set but I just wish they gave us a bigger pool to jump into and swim in.
Now, what are you guys waiting for? A box set with all the four (yes, four) movies (extended editions) with full audio commentaries of everyone significant from Steven Spielberg to Pat Roach, twelve discs of extras, including the ultimate "This is how Indy's pants were sewn together", extra presents like a bottle of grail water, Akubra Federation, piece of stone from the Temple of Doom, a bust of Short Round and inflatable George Lucas... then you'd be happy?

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Maybe... but I'd like to have the set Finn talks about in <a href="http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?threadid=5836">this thread</a>.

Finn said:
I'm still waiting for that über-extra-special-edition of Indy DVDs where we'll have audio commentary made by nearly every person with slighest significance from Steven Spielberg to Pat Roach, fifty hours of extra material including all the removed shots PLUS remakes of the shots they thought they'd shoot but after all didn't, extended movie experience with the thin red line replaced with camera following Indy's transport with events occuring in real time, his class in the beginnings of Raiders and Crusade shown from first bell ring to the last, extended ending to LC where we'll see him grading all of those papers he told his secretary to handle and CGI enchanced Sallah to please the younger audience...

bungle92

Finn said:
Now, what are you guys waiting for? A box set with all the four (yes, four) movies (extended editions) with full audio commentaries of everyone significant from Steven Spielberg to Pat Roach, twelve discs of extras, including the ultimate "This is how Indy's pants were sewn together", extra presents like a bottle of grail water, Akubra Federation, piece of stone from the Temple of Doom, a bust of Short Round and inflatable George Lucas... then you'd be happy?

Hey man, I was just hoping we'd have a little more in the way of special features,maybe not LOTR caliber but just a little more. There's no need to be rude.

Last edited: