Lebanon

roundshort

If you are looking for a nice safe vacation spot for this summer, you might want to take Lebanon off of your list . . .

anyone think this little thing will devlop into anything, or just a CNN headline for the next few nights and weeks? I do know they are talking about sending in the 24th Marines to help pull out the 25,000 Americans int he area . . .

Hmmm . ..

Paden

If you are hitting Beirut for a little R&R, you might consider the Crowne Plaza. Nice, modern building with lots of amenities. The only downside might be the occasional rocket ripping through your room while you're enjoying the complimentary high-speed internet access. :)

roundshort

Paden said:
If you are hitting Beirut for a little R&R, you might consider the Crowne Plaza. Nice, modern building with lots of amenities. The only downside might be the occasional rocket ripping through your room while you're enjoying the complimentary high-speed internet access. :)

Kids eat free . . .hard to pass up

Finn

Staff member
Hmm. Some loose screws kidnap two Israeli soldiers and in response, they fire scuds into civilian targets, killing fifty something. And some western adminstrations even think that this all's okay.

Of course, Lebanon would be a nice country to visit of course, without all those Lebanese...

roundshort

Finn said:
Hmm. Some loose screws kidnap two Israeli soldiers and in response, they fire scuds into civilian targets, killing fifty something. And some western adminstrations even think that this all's okay.

Of course, Lebanon would be a nice country to visit of course, without all those Lebanese...

Ya gotta respect Isreal, for being a little country, they have done more than allright when it coems to military might. I would n't mess with them!

7 day war anyone?

Finn

Staff member
roundshort said:
7 day war anyone?
Six day war.

temple of john said:
I find it hard to believe that nobody see's the Israeli's as being just as bad if not worse. They are no angels.
And yeah, they're the only fellas in that part of the world not wearing rags, that's gotta make them the good guys...

To me still though, using missiles to retaliate for two guys is bit like pouring gas into a bonfire. But of course, it's the good guys' gas so they can do whatever they want with it.

<small>On more serious tone though, thanks for that comment ToJ.</small>

Jay R. Zay

temple of john said:
I find it hard to believe that nobody see's the Israeli's as being just as bad if not worse. They are no angels.

they are the chosen people.

and they have united states support.

and they are the no.1 victims of the nazi era.

roundshort

Jay R. Zay said:
they are the chosen people.

and they are the no.1 victims of the nazi era.

. . . but they are a peace loving people . . .all kidding aside, i respect their military, and soliders a lot. Sometimes I wish the US had mandatory service like the IDF.

Finn

Staff member
Jay R. Zay said:
...mostly because Jewish businessmen have been giving up truckloads of cash to finance the actions of numerous US adminstrations.

It's true that the IDF's achievements are respectable, but with the current conflict (or more like the one that's been going on for years), one side isn't any less guilty than the other.

Despite the fact that there're nutjobs among the Palestinians who do horrendous things, one can't help but feel a little sympathy for them in general as well. Yep, the Israeli think it's their promised land, but you can't just shoo away people who've been living there for centuries.

Jay R. Zay

Finn said:
...mostly because Jewish businessmen have been giving up truckloads of cash to finance the actions of numerous US adminstrations.

It's true that the IDF's achievements are respectable, but with the current conflict (or more like the one that's been going on for years), one side isn't any less guilty than the other.

Despite the fact that there're nutjobs among the Palestinians who do horrendous things, one can't help but feel a little sympathy for them in general as well. Yep, the Israeli think it's their promised land, but you can't just shoo away people who've been living there for centuries.

in my opinion, it's far more than that. the israelis don't just take the area they already have (and that the palestinians *want* to have) but they also keep expanding their area into the area of palestine. i'd agree that the state of israel has a right to exist but this behavior is unacceptable.

westford

temple of john said:
I've lost most of the sympathy I ever had for Israel. First their treatment of the Palestinians (admittedly no angels either, but I think they deserve the right to have their own independent country and rule themselves), and now their bombing of Lebanon (I know a couple of people with family in Beirut, so I'm just crossing my fingers they'll be ok).

I think Chirac was spot on saying "the reactions are completely disproportionate", but, as long as Bush thinks Israel can do no wrong, who is going to step in to help the innocent Lebanese (and Israeli) civilians caught up in all this? :(

Jay R. Zay

westford said:
I've lost most of the sympathy I ever had for Israel. First their treatment of the Palestinians (admittedly no angels either, but I think they deserve the right to have their own independent country and rule themselves), and now their bombing of Lebanon (I know a couple of people with family in Beirut, so I'm just crossing my fingers they'll be ok).

I think Chirac was spot on saying "the reactions are completely disproportionate", but, as long as Bush thinks Israel can do no wrong, who is going to step in to help the innocent Lebanese (and Israeli) civilians caught up in all this? :(

germany.

just kidding.

roundshort

Jay R. Zay said:
germany.

just kidding.

Easy Jay . . .Hey, you gotta respect the little guy. BEsides whatever Bush wants to do, you know England won't be far behind. Tony loves following Bush around!

Tennessee R

Three contacts in Israel say that it isn't a big deal, should be over soon.
I'll be going over in a few days, (the 25th) to Jerusalem, for our next archaeological excavation.

At least one Israeli I know says, no big deal, just a little war up north. ;)