Winstone speaks

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Interviews from the Beowulf press junkets are kicking in.

In an interview over at mtv.com, Winstone delivers some lovely "guilty-pleasure" Indy IV non-news and vague hints like that one:
“Crystal” mixes its action, heartfelt moments and comedy in equal amounts. “They wouldn’t last forever if they just had action,” he explained. “If it all works to plan, which I’m sure it will, it [will have that mix]; it starts off with a gallop, and [the script] just gets quicker and quicker and quicker. It’s one hell of a story, actually.”
The rest is the usual, yet amusing praise of fellow actors and directors. Check it out, it's a nice read!

There's another not so non-newsy jucy tidbit in an interview featured at movieweb:
Q: Can you tell us what you play?

RAY WINSTONE: I play a guy called Mac in it.

Q: Is he a good guy?

RAY WINSTONE: Kind of a bit of both.

I have no idea if this belongs in this or the non-spoiler thread. Actually the information itself isn't that spoilerish. But it easily provokes spoiler-filled discussion. Maybe there should be one edition for this and one for the other thread.

Professor Jones

“Crystal” mixes its action, heartfelt moments and comedy in equal amounts. “They wouldn’t last forever if they just had action,” he explained. “If it all works to plan, which I’m sure it will, it [will have that mix]; it starts off with a gallop, and [the script] just gets quicker and quicker and quicker. It’s one hell of a story, actually.”

Good. That's good. Both a deeply developed story and a strictly paced rythm are necessary ingredients for a wonderful adventure movie. That could be even the premise to found an even more brilliant movie than Temple (more deep) and Crusade (more quick).

RAY WINSTONE: Kind of a bit of both.

Oh... I'm quite disappointed... I hoped that Winstone played a FULLY good guy. Anyway if well constructed and not simply meant to be a "turn-face" traitor, a "kind of a bit" good and bad guy could be interesting to deliver some thickness both to the plot and to the character personality.

Dr.Sartorius

Indy thinks Mac is his friend but he really is an informer for the Soviets. Then Mac ends up betraying the Soviets in the end and sides with Indy. Predictable.

Blue Jay

i wonder if winstone plays an american or british guy, because of his accent.
i always love it, when brits try the american accent, sean connery for example in lc ;)

;)

Professor Jones

Dr.Sartorius said:
Indy thinks Mac is his friend but he really is an informer for the Soviets. Then Mac ends up betraying the Soviets in the end and sides with Indy. Predictable.

Agree: predictable. Too predictable for me. I sincerely hope it is not so.

About the british accent... as I pointed out in other threads I would have hoped he would played some british soldier-of-fortune (maybe a pilot!) who joins Indy in his adventures, a "Jock" kind of character, but more action-oriented, some good companion such as the classic sidekicks of the main heroes in old war-adventure movies, like "The Guns Of Navarone".

Niteshade007

The whole "equal" bits of humor and action kind of worries me. It seems a bit too Last Crusade, which was far more slapstick than Raiders. Yes, Raiders did have humor, but it wasn't quite so obvious, aside from a few things like Marion hitting Indy with the mirror.

And the comment a little bit of both...I actually don't think that it's anything to get too upset over, to be honest, in terms of predictability. When I read that, my mind when the other way of some of the other posters, and that was that, a la Donovan and Elsa in Last Crusade, he would be "bad" at the end of the film, not the beginning. I actually like the other way better, meaning he's kinda bad in the beginning, but then he decides to side with Indy at the end, probably still dying in the process because he needs to pay for his actions at the beginning of the film.

My incredibly inaccurate psychic ability tells me that Winstone will turn out to be a traitor at the end. My crystal (skull) ball tells me this.

Ste2652

It's possible that Winstone's character could be a bit like Indy... I mean, Indy was accused of being a grave robber (mentioned in ToD, I think) and we get the whole Belloq commentary about "shadowy reflections" and so forth. It could be coming from that angle. A good guy with a rebellious streak.

I'm not sure Winstone would be the bad guy if it seems Cate Blanchett is going to be.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to going over my old posts after seeing the movie and realising just how wrong I was :D

Finn

Staff member
torao said:
I have no idea if this belongs in this or the non-spoiler thread. Actually the information itself isn't that spoilerish. But it easily provokes spoiler-filled discussion. Maybe there should be one edition for this and one for the other thread.
Fine as it is. Appreciate the thought and concern, though.

There's been a certain pattern through the villain personas in the previous three films. We have the suave guy in suit, a military stooge and a shady character. It's pretty clear in Raiders and LC (Belloq-Dietrich-Toht, Donovan-Vogel-Elsa). Not as clearly seen in ToD, but Chattar Lal-Mola Ram-Lao Che -lineup comes close.

So if we were to follow the same pattern in KotCS, we'd have the suit fellow and the stooge in John Hurt's and Blanchett's characters respectively, so Mac would fall neatly in line as the shady fellow.

Well have to keep in mind though that Winstone was in the "hero reel" with Spielberg and he's been said to be a sidekick, so perhaps he is a simple good guy after all. Guess we'll have to wait and see...

spiralout

Blue Jay said:
i wonder if winstone plays an american or british guy, because of his accent.
i always love it, when brits try the american accent, sean connery for example in lc ;)

;)

When did Sean Connery try to do an american accent in LC?

Dr. Indy Jones

Dr.Sartorius said:

I figure it will be like that. (at least we hope its like that ;) )

Kernunnos

spiralout said:
When did Sean Connery try to do an american accent in LC?

He didn't. In Last Crusade, he was every bit as SCOTTISH as tartan kilts, sporrans, haggis, thistles, crap footballers and deep fried mars bars in batter. :gun:

The only thing that could have made him more Scottish was if he'd worn a string vest and beat seven shades of **** out of his wife after drinking himself stupid.

rablt6.jpg

Last edited:

sunshinestate1992

Finn said:
Fine as it is. Appreciate the thought and concern, though.

There's been a certain pattern through the villain personas in the previous three films. We have the suave guy in suit, a military stooge and a shady character. It's pretty clear in Raiders and LC (Belloq-Dietrich-Toht, Donovan-Vogel-Elsa). Not as clearly seen in ToD, but Chattar Lal-Mola Ram-Lao Che -lineup comes close.

So if we were to follow the same pattern in KotCS, we'd have the suit fellow and the stooge in John Hurt's and Blanchett's characters respectively, so Mac would fall neatly in line as the shady fellow.

Well have to keep in mind though that Winstone was in the "hero reel" with Spielberg and he's been said to be a sidekick, so perhaps he is a simple good guy after all. Guess we'll have to wait and see...
miltitary stooge is going to be the igor actor whos playing the russain.

NileQT87

not quite. more like:

hero: indiana jones
indy girls: marion ravenwood, wilhelmina "willie" scott, elsa schneider, marion ravenwood
familial relationships: abner ravenwood, short round, henry jones, sr., mutt ravenwood
wisdom: marcus brody, village elder, grail knight, (abner ravenwood?)
sidekicks: sallah, short round, marcus brody & sallah, mac
main villains: rené belloq, mola ram, walter donovan, (cate's character)
stooges: arnold toht & dietrich & monkey man, chattar lal, vogel, (igor's character)
semi-redeemable villains: monkey, maharajah zalin singh, elsa schneider, (?)
opener villains: rené belloq, lao che, panama hat, (?)
opener stooges: hovitos, lao's sons, fedora & co., (u.s. military at area 51?)

Last edited:

AHegele

Professor Jones said:
Good. That's good. Both a deeply developed story and a strictly paced rythm are necessary ingredients for a wonderful adventure movie. That could be even the premise to found an even more brilliant movie than Temple (more deep) and Crusade (more quick).

I would argue that Temple is quicker and Crusade is deeper, but thats a different thread :)

commontone

I don't see what's so wrong about Winstone possibly being a traitor, or going over to the good side. This is no more cliche than Indy "getting the girl" at the end of the film, or countless other examples of knowing cliches the Indy movies work with. It's part of the serial tradition. The bad guys cackle, the girls swoon, people betray, etc. Every story is still a variation on Shakespeare.

I mean, if anyone's expecting an intricate, sophisticated, totally unpredictable genre-bending plot, you're in the wrong place.

Finn

Staff member
salussolia said:
miltitary stooge is going to be the igor actor whos playing the russain.
More likely the "big guy fight", if you ask me. But of course, all I'm doing is guessing. Like we all.
NileQT87 said:
wisdom: marcus brody, village elder, grail knight, (abner ravenwood?)
Add Jim Broadbent's character to the list.

misnomer

Kernunnos said:
He didn't. In Last Crusade, he was every bit as SCOTTISH as tartan kilts, sporrans, haggis, thistles, crap footballers and deep fried mars bars in batter. :gun:

The only thing that could have made him more Scottish was if he'd worn a string vest and beat seven shades of **** out of his wife after drinking himself stupid.

rablt6.jpg

ahhh..this post makes me proud to be a scot.(y)