Need Some Book Recommendations

Raiders90

Can anyone recommend me some great books (I know it's a lot, sorry) on:
I would greatly appreciate it.

Nonfiction:

The Social Climate and general history of the 20th century until the outbreak of WWI (from the American and European perspectives)
World War I, it's origins, history and it's social impact.
The History of the German, British and Ottoman Empires (not all in one book of course)
The culture and politics of the 1920s in America--The Roaring Twenties--and The culture of 1918-1939 in Europe, and of the ''Lost Generation.''
The art deco movement of the 1930s--and the romanticism in America in the '30s. Culturally speaking, I mean.
World War II, it's beginnings and it's history and social-political impact.
any good books on the Rise and Inner workings of Hitler and the Third Reich.
The social, cultural and political settings of America in the post-war period (especially from 1946-1950 and from 1950-1961)
And books on the Red Scare of the 1920s, and the Anti-Communist Hunt in America in the the '50s.
And the culture of the Jazz movement of the '20s, beatnik generation of the '50s, and the greasers of the '50s.
And any books on the Kennedy Assasination and it's the social impact on America.

Roswell 1947, and any other books of information about aliens.
Also, books regarding any artifacts and legends (such as the kind Indy would chase after)

And last but not least about the Space Race and the Space Age, it's impact on American culture and society in the early-mid 1960s.

Also--In the realm of fiction, I really would like any recommendations of any good:

-Pulp and/or Adventure Novels and Stories, published anywhere from 1900 to 1949.
-Any Sci-Fi and ''Alien'' books, published anywhere from 1947-1959.
-Detective stories circa 1925-1948

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I might start with the book I describe below, which gives an excellent account of the cultural processes and tendencies your concerned with. Obviously, only the later portions bear directly on what you ask.

From Dawn to Decadence, by Jacques Barzun, records the decline of Western civilization in the past 500 years. I'm not sure I agree with the thesis over that full span of time, since an awful lot has been created, particularly from the standpoint of cultural history, which is what Barzun specializes in, but that things haven't gotten richer, I cannot deny. Also, he has some fun with this, with peculiar quotes lodged into magazine style sidebars and his elevation of digression into an art. It's long, some 700 pages long, as I recall, but like any long novel, and this has the spirit of one sometimes, you get into it eventually. Magnificent and elegiac. Also, erudite. If only I were so erudite.

If anything else comes to mind, I'll say so, but out of curiosity - why such specific questions?

indifan101

All Quiet on the Western Front: The GREATEST war novel of ALL TIME
Nazi Germany and the Jews Volumes 1 and 2
The Communist Manifesto
Mao's Little Red Book
Mein Kamf
The Plot to Kill Hitler (fiction)

Raiders90

Attila the Professor said:
I might start with the book I describe below, which gives an excellent account of the cultural processes and tendencies your concerned with. Obviously, only the later portions bear directly on what you ask.

If anything else comes to mind, I'll say so, but out of curiosity - why such specific questions?

Because I'm a history buff and I want to get a feel for what the era that Indy and Young Indy takes place in was really like, and also to gain knowledge, and also to see why that era has been so romanticised in society these days.

The Drifter

I read alot of war novels. Some based on true accounts; others not.
Here is a list of some of my favorites.

Flags Of Our Fathers
The Naked and the Dead
Killing Zone
The 13th Valley
We Wers Soilders Once, and Young
Color of Water
Jarhead
Marine Sniper: The Carlos Hathcock Story
My Death on D-Day

lucy

Raiders112390 said:
The History of the German, British and Ottoman Empires

There is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Historian

its a fictional book about a woman who goes in search of the real resting place of dracula. its got travel and history and vampires in it! there is a good chunk about the ottoman empire in it too lots of history about constantinople.
its one of my fav books.

G-Man

Raiders112390 said:
And last but not least about the Space Race and the Space Age, it's impact on American culture and society in the early-mid 1960s.
The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe

The Drifter

Robert E. Howard is great pulps from the 1920s-1930s.

Conan: Adventured in the times before recorded history
Kull: An anicent Alantean even before Conan!
Bran Mak Mourn: An ancient celt who led wars against the early Romans
Solomon Kane: A puritan who traveled Africa is the 18th-century