Are you willing to get your fedora dirty?

Are you willing to get your fedora dirty?

• Yes--if Indy's fedora can take a beating, why not mine?

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No--no way! It's a collectors item, I want to keep it pristine.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both--I have multiple lids, so I have the best of both worlds!

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

jsarino

I've been pondering this thought as I have a racing event coming up where I'll dress up as Indy. Just a little background: last year, I participated in the Sandmine Challenge, which is a obstacle course race all inside a mine (http://sandminechallenge.com/). My friend and I dressed up as Lara Croft and Indiana Jones respectively (I've posted pics of this in a previous thread).

The fedora I wore that day (Dorfman) got sand, mud, water, and stayed on my head except when I intentionally threw it ahead of me when I crawled through a tunnel. After the race, we got compliments for our costumes, even some thinking we were hired by race organizers to dress like we did. :p

Anyways, I want to hear from you all how you like to treat your fedora(s)! I'm pondering if I want to give my Federation IV Deluxe a beating.

Gear

Yes, 'cuz like Indy, I'm a man.

(Mine's an Indiana Jones Adventurewear, BTW. A great hat, but not as expensive as yours. So while I can understand the care you'd want to put into your proud investment, life's meant to be lived.) :hat:

Mickiana

I've got an Akubra Fed Deluxe and a Penman. They are both in good order but I don't mind getting them both grubby. I also have other Akubras - a Snowy River, a Style Master and an Australian Army Slouch.

Last edited:

lguerra

I have a fed also, one for dress and the other is beat up about 8 years old . I use both everyday. Work and play :hat: I think hats should be worn not in a museum!

jsarino

lguerra said:
I think hats should be worn not in a museum!

Agreed. I'm leaning on wearing the Akubra, dirt and grime be damned. (y) Besides, it'll give me an excuse to get another fedora to complement the "beater". :D

Glenville86

The ones that are more expensive - I don't want to get them trashed. I wear them casually or to work. All the others can get dirty. I really don't think I do much that would get any of them dirty come to think of it. Maybe sweat stained.

Drones33

"I think hats should be worn not in a museum!"

That's the spirit! Your hat should be used and enjoyed and worn with pride. I think if it's going to be locked away in a cupboard then there's no point in having it. (Same is true of 12 year old single malt, but that's a subject for a different thread;) )
Like Glenville, I'm afraid I dont do that much adventuring for it to get very dirty unfortunately, but whenever I do go on an adventure, whether it be a weekend walking in the Welsh mountains (very rainy), or a shopping trip to town, my lid will be firmly on my head.
And as Jsarino points out, if it does get battered, what better reason to by a new one.:hat: