The Dark Knight

Abe Vayoda

So Warners officially announced that the sequel to Batman Begins will be titled The Dark Knight. And Heath Ledger will be playing The Joker. And production is set to begin in 07.

Just so we can get this out of the way:
TOJ: I can't believe they cast that pillow biter from Brokeback Mtn. as Batman's next villain.
CH: Your hatred and bigotry disgust me
Roundshort makes a joke as an effort to cool conflicts...
There's a good chance someone will make a passing joke about Batman being gay...
Paden offers a humorous short story that bears little resemblance to topic at hand...
mindless other criticism...
Someone barely gets a chance to mention Batman before being drowned out by...
More flaming...
Rae semi-apologises for TOJ...
TOJ posts previously generated apology...
Continued criticism....
Finn or VP closes the thread for going off topic.

Now we can talk about the movie. :p

As far as I'm concerned I'm thrilled with the title, but I can think of at least twenty more menacing faces off the top of my head... but I'm not entirely disappointed. Ledger is a talented actor. I'm only afraid Nolan will decide to f### with tradition and change up his look. I don't care how you want to reimagine him, the Joker isn't the same without the purple suit, at least in my mind. But, I'll reserve judgement till I see the movie, and I admit to being extremely jazzed about it. I loved Begins and think this will rock too.

What I'm also happy about is that this time Nolan's brother will be writing the script, who also wrote Memento. Hopefully this time the movie will showcase some of Batman's detective skills (my only complaint about Begins).

roundshort

Abe Vayoda said:
So Warners officially announced recently that the sequel to Batman Begins will be titled The Dark Knight. And Heath Ledger will be playing The Joker. And production is set to begin in 07.

TOJ: I can't believe they cast that pillow biter from Brokeback Mtn. as Batman's next villain.
There's a good chance someone will make a passing joke about Batman being gay...
Paden offers a humorous short story that bears little resemblance to topic at hand...
More flaming...
Continued criticism....

(in my best Eric Cartman voice)

god'damn'it abe, why did you have to go and ruin all the fun!

Screw you guys,
I'm goin' home!

Paden

Abe Vayoda said:
More flaming...
Continued criticism....

I think this might just be a candidate for "Post of the Year"! Good stuff, Abe! :D

I have high hopes for Ledger as The Joker..... Anything to 'wash away the taste' left over after Jack N......

Agreed however, he needs to keep the purple suit..... and the green hair.....

Hopefully after that we'll get Batman VS Superman.......

roundshort

Didn't batman already do the joker (no pun witht he pillow bitter here)
No really wasn't there a batman movie in 1989 where there was a joker???

it is one thing remake old movies but this was only 1989 people!
Heath was good in Knights Tail (I know that is why clinty likes him) but can't they do any better than the joker again?

Joe Brody

I love the way this thread was started.

Abe Vayoda said:
What I'm also happy about is that this time Nolan's brother will be writing the script, who also wrote Memento. Hopefully this time the movie will showcase some of Batman's detective skills (my only complaint about Begins).

Not a Memento fan so I can't agree with you there -- but you're dead on right about the need for the new Franchise to showcase Batman using some grey matter. I think the only 'detecting' we've seen in all the Batman films is in one sorry-a$$ scene in the first Batman, where Keaton figures out the product tampering sheme. The Bale series needs something like detecting to keep it from being a gadget (or worse, 'boy-wonder') fest.

ClintonHammond said:
I have high hopes for Ledger as The Joker..... Anything to 'wash away the taste' left over after Jack N......

I'm skeptical -- but who knows Ledger may be the next Mark Hamill -- and I'm sure Temp can weigh in with his own theories.

ClintonHammond said:
Hopefully after that we'll get Batman VS Superman.......

I bet you're right. I could see such a film as the perfect way to END this era of super-hero films.

roundshort said:
Heath was good in Knights Tail (I know that is why clinty likes him) but can't they do any better than the joker again?

I prefer his earlier work in Ten Things I Hate About You -- and how can we forget his performance in The Four Feathers?

roundshort

ClintonHammond said:
"wasn't there a batman movie in 1989"

Only if you call that POS movie "Batman"

I think the movie studio, the posters and people who saw it said, "I am going to see Batman." Yeah, I guess there was a movie already called "batman" with the joker as the bag guy . . .
well the 1989 was better thant he jeudo expert batman begins, really when will the whole hidden kung-fu temple ninja thing stop being used?

"the perfect way to END this era of super-hero films"
I'd happily sit through a few more years of good superhero movies..... It's a great time to be a geek!

"a gadget fest"
The gadgets are part-and-parcel with Batman.... I suspect the 'detective' element gets dropped cause it's VERY difficult to put to film without it being boring.

Paden

roundshort said:
I think the movie studio, the posters and people who saw it said, "I am going to see Batman." Yeah, I guess there was a movie already called "batman" with the joker as the bag guy . . .
Thanks. I became briefly confused about what the title of the 1989 film was. For a moment, I thought it had been titled Mikey and Jack. :p

roundshort

Paden said:
Thanks. I became briefly confused about what the title of the 1989 film was. For a moment, I thought it had been titled Mikey and Jack. :p

No that was Benny and June.

really, when will these movies stop???? I think Pirates showed us that auidences will go and pay, and pay and pay if they can guve us decent entertainment. Most comic book movies end up like Fantastic Four, or Daredevil or the hulk, punisher, need I go on / / /

roundshort

ClintonHammond said:
Holy yawn fest..... sorry.... didn't move me except away from it.....

*shrug*

Paden, Joe, you forget that it is not cool to like anything that anyone else does! God, If someone else likes it is is uncool!

Gustav

Jack Nicholson was the perfect Joker, Beetlejuice is in my opinion one of Tim Burton's worst films, Sleep Hollow is one of his best, the 1989 Batman is still my favourite but I think Christian Bale makes a better Bruce Wayne; and after seeing this picture I can see why they want Heath Ledger to be Joker.

heath10.jpg

Scary, huh? Look at that menacing grin. And look, he's even about to spray the photographer with some laughing gas. I agree that Nolan should keep the purple suit and I'm sure he'll keep the white face and green hair, he'll probably make the hair a little darker though. I would say it's 50/50 on him keeping the purple suit, because he does like to make things serious and a black suit would look more serious. I think he should have Joker's wide-brimmed hat in there too, at least in a few scenes. I'm looking forward to seeing Nolan's next film The Prestige around Halloween.

Memento was awesome.

Gustav

ClintonHammond said:
"Jack Nicholson was the perfect Joker"

Only if, like Tim Burton, you've never read a Batman comic.....

Well I've always been more of a Marvel person, so you've got a point.