Indiana Jones 5: July 19, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFedora

Wilhelm said:
EMPIRE magazine JULY 2016:

"(Steven Spielberg) shows us videos of the BFG's recording session on his iPhone, looks forward to INDIANA JONES V: "We have a McGuffin, that's all I can say".

So basically they have the story outline now. We still have three years to go so thats quite a ways to go.

Drones33

But make no mistake, Disney are in this for the long run, which means future movies will be set in the 1920s and 30s with a younger actor wearing the fedora and looking for fortune and glory. Back to Indy's roots.

And that, my friend, is definitely something to look forward to.

Agreed.
And if one more outing for Harrison Ford as Indy facilitates this, then that's fine with me. :)

Silvor

kevster said:
Now I do love John WIlliams, he's created some of the most iconic and beautiful music I've ever heard.
But I have to say he's not exactly been on the top of his game for quite some time now, both Indy 4 and Force Awakens had incredibly weak scores and because of that I'm not sure if this is good or bad news for Indy 5.

All the first three Indy movies have their own identity when it comes to the music with great new themes for each movie. Indy 4 and Force Awakens does not have that, they hardly even used the main themes even!
I was incredibly disappointed by the music in both films.

I think maybe Alan Silvestri would be a great replacement as he did a great job with Captain America the First Avenger in using a memorable main theme throughout the film.

So I guess what I'm saying is I really really really hope John Williams is bringing his A game for Indy.

IndyForever

Macguffin found = Lucas is working on this as well! He has detailed files on most of the popular Macguffin's as he tasked someone @ Lucasfilm (Deborah Fine) to conduct research for many years. Most likely Spielberg was given those files & found one he really likes for the story he wants to tell.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
IndyForever said:
Macguffin found = Lucas is working on this as well! He has detailed files on most of the popular Macguffin's as he tasked someone @ Lucasfilm (Deborah Fine) to conduct research for many years. Most likely Spielberg was given those files & found one he really likes for the story he wants to tell.

Even if that's where the MacGuffin came from - which is plausible enough - old work of Lucas's having gone into the idea is <I>not</I> the same as Lucas working on the film.

Silvor said:
All the first three Indy movies have their own identity when it comes to the music with great new themes for each movie. Indy 4 and Force Awakens does not have that, they hardly even used the main themes even!

Does Crystal Skull use the Raiders March that little? Even if it does, Last Crusade already represented a considerable maturing of the series from a musical perspective, leaning on the Raiders March button much less than Raiders and Temple did.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Silvor said:
But I have to say he's not exactly been on the top of his game for quite some time now, both Indy 4 and Force Awakens had incredibly weak scores and because of that I'm not sure if this is good or bad news for Indy 5.

It's good. And I completely agree with you that Williams has been resting on his accomplished laurels for some time now.

His stuff in the last 5 years is tired and predictable.

But as someone who wants a new serial, (albeit reimagined and reinvented), I think the addition of Williams to this aged outing is going to work. I truly hope we see an broken old Indy. One who is at the end of his life, with little to show for it, beyond a broken body, and some slim relationships to account for. This sets up the classic comeback-against-all-odds-backdrop our fallen hero needs.

For Williams, I hope he ominously feels that in his 80+ year old life as well. Here's a chance to score some truly exploratory tragic motifs filled with searching and unfinished lines. Haunting would be what I'd recommend for him.

"John"..I'd say..."You're dead. I mean, you're still here, but in all truth, you're dead. You're standing at the gates of eternity, and you look back on 4 scores and all you have are a handful of works that'll you'll be remembered by. How does THAT make you feel, old man."

Then, as he wrestles with his mortality, he'll pen an Requiem in D minor to the lost treasures of time, perfect for his final Indy film.

It'll mirror what we see Indy struggle with on the screen. That agony of staring into the black...and then what all heroes do....a Rage Against It.

I dare say that if Williams, Ford, Spielberg, Kennedy and Marshall are honest with themselves and their mortality, we may get a film worth of the ....(here I go Stoo)....FRANCHISE.

For me, it's the only way this film will have meaning and or purpose.

Walecs

Silvor said:
Now I do love John WIlliams, he's created some of the most iconic and beautiful music I've ever heard.

I definitely agree with this. I was astonished by the lack of a full rendition of Binary Sunset (except for the ending credits) in Force Awakens.
I felt that Indy 4 should have used the Raiders March a little bit more here and there, but I think The Last Crusade used the Raiders March to an even lesser extent.

Kingsley

Pale Horse said:
I truly hope we see an broken old Indy. One who is at the end of his life, with little to show for it, beyond a broken body, and some slim relationships to account for. This sets up the classic comeback-against-all-odds-backdrop our fallen hero needs.

For Williams, I hope he ominously feels that in his 80+ year old life as well. Here's a chance to score some truly exploratory tragic motifs filled with searching and unfinished lines. Haunting would be what I'd recommend for him.

"John"..I'd say..."You're dead. I mean, you're still here, but in all truth, you're dead. You're standing at the gates of eternity, and you look back on 4 scores and all you have are a handful of works that'll you'll be remembered by. How does THAT make you feel, old man."

Then, as he wrestles with his mortality, he'll pen an Requiem in D minor to the lost treasures of time, perfect for his final Indy film.

It'll mirror what we see Indy struggle with on the screen. That agony of staring into the black...and then what all heroes do....a Rage Against It.

I dare say that if Williams, Ford, Spielberg, Kennedy and Marshall are honest with themselves and their mortality, we may get a film worth of the ....(here I go Stoo)....FRANCHISE.

For me, it's the only way this film will have meaning and or purpose.

I like this approach very much.

They surely will find out some action set pieces and rollercoaster sequences. But something great about Indy are those moments where he manages to see things clear, where all the turmoil around him seems to stop for an instant and he recognises some deep human truth. Mortality is the obvious, but nonetheless the right choice.

Give this moment a great Williams score and you provide a much needed soul for the film.

DARTH ZOIDBERG

great news! one step closer!!

I loved the scores for Indy 4 and TFA but if John Williams can't answer the bell because of health or he died I want me some Michael Giachinno, Giachinno is just like Classic Williams! his Jurassic World, and Super 8 were very Williams like! I also like his Inside out, Tomorrowland, and John Carter soundtracks ! also his Medal Of Honor soundtracks sounded a lot like Saving Private Ryan they were great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Stoo said:
Jesus Christ. Do you guys dislike your mother, too? :rolleyes: Lucas created our beloved character...and he is not to blame for most of the bad aspects of "Skull" so your comments are absurd. Maybe you want to see Indy 5 featuring MORE of Spielberg's goofy ideas (especially those that George rejected for being too silly)? :confused:

Keep in mind that there are Disney executives at the helm now and this does not bode well for a "great" Indiana Jones film. Expect a watered-down, 'Indy-light' movie that every little girl around the world can enjoy.

Paraphrasing Lambonius' post: "Please, George Lucas, keep Disney as far away from this as possible."

I have great respect for George for being the creator of both Indy and Star Wars but he is not a good director, the star wars prequels are terribly directed and now that George is not involved with the Star Wars universe I feel we got a great movie with The Force Awakens, I think the same thing will happen with Indy 5. Yes some of the silly ideas in Crystal Skull were Spielberg's but the story and plot was Georges and now there is a stronger team at Disney with Kathleen Kennedy at the helm again. George is a genius in his own right, dont get me wrong but even genius' age and loose the magic.

Randy_Flagg

Stoo said:
Expect a watered-down, 'Indy-light' movie that every little girl around the world can enjoy.
Based on what?
The Force Awakens wasn't a water-down SW movie for little girls. I think TFA had more blood than most other SW films, and the fights scenes felt more brutal than they ever did before. Heck, even the storm troopers seemed vaguely threatening.

KOTCS was obviously watered down, and people complained. I suspect Disney/Lucasfilm heard those complaints loud and clear (I know Spielberg certainly did.)

I agree with Randy, even the term "little girl" is ridiculous and sexist. Little girls like Ray in The force awakens are now lead characters and their bad ass. George sold the rights for a certain reason, he knew the general audience did not like his style of film making anymore, his story telling though is timeless.

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
The problem with George selling his film properties is that before the sale he was there to protect them in some way because they were his creations. Now they are products more than ever (not that they weren't before) in the hands of corporate managers and I'm afraid things will be very exploitive. Still it's good for Kathy being there but she's just an employe after all. She's not like Barbara Broccoli who owns the Bond series.

Mickiana

What Stoo means is that they will try to widen their demographic as much as possible, thereby necessitating concessions to a product true to original visions.

DARTH ZOIDBERG

Silvor said:

I think maybe Alan Silvestri would be a great replacement as he did a great job with Captain America the First Avenger in using a memorable main theme throughout the film.

So I guess what I'm saying is I really really really hope John Williams is bringing his A game for Indy.

I loved the Indy 4 score and the new Star Wars also War Horse was Beautiful and I really Liked Tin Tin The Secret Of The Unicorn! If John Williams cant do the score for this or future Star Wars Films I want Michael Giachinno his scores for Tomorrowland, Super 8, Medal Of Honor video games, Jurassic World, and John Carter were very John Williams Like. other Giachinno ones I liked were, Ratatouille, and the Incredibles!

I found this interesting what could It mean for Indy 5,
Steven Spielberg back with his Bridge Of Spies team for Walter Cronkite film

Steven Spielberg

When Steven Spielberg previously worked with writer Matt Charman and producer Marc Platt, the result was last year's Bridge Of Spies, which won an Oscar from seven nominations and scored a host of other praise. You can see, then, why they might reunite for another real-life story, this time one about legendary American newsman Walter Cronkite.

The actual first spark for this one comes from Charman, who started discussing it with the director while they were out stumping for Spies during the awards season. The untitled script would look at Cronkite's coverage of the Vietnam War in the late 1960s, and how he began to sway American opinion against the troubled conflict. Following a strictly PR trip in 1965 organised by the government and military in an attempt to show progress was being made, he returned in 1968 and saw the truth for himself. His report became one of the first op-ed pieces on US television news and still stands as a landmark in broadcast history.

It's still early days for this one, with Charman working on the script and Spielberg deciding if he'll direct it himself or hand it off to someone else. It's currently in development art Amblin Partners, and would have to wait in any regard as Spielberg has The BFG out next month, Ready Player One preparing to shoot, The Kidnapping Of Edgardo Mortara to follow that and then, potentially, another Indiana Jones film. But if the Cronkite film does go ahead, who wants to put odds on Spies' Mark Rylance playing a role?
..............................................................................................................................................................................
I think the best way to make Indy 5 Is to make It a Big Homage to the First 3 Indy movies Like TFA was an Homage to the Star Wars OT ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.