Any ToD fans out there?

Avilos

Back on topic - Temple of Doom was the first Indiana Jones movie I saw. It will always be my favorite! Its the one I watch the most.

YouNeverKnow

I'll bite. I'd be really into this too. Didn't really care earlier but now that the event will be pushed back I'd love to mass watch it with fellow Indyphiles.

MolaRam2

phildominator said:
The 3 waterfalls scene was disappointing...the camera was drawn back so far, I felt detached from the action.

The Doom scene felt more engaging.

I'm cool with the '3 Waterfalls', just not the way it was executed. They built up so much with Oxley repetitively chanting 'it drops 3 times.'

The filming and execution of the '3 watrerfalls' scene just made it worse. The scene could have easily been redeemed by Ox, Mac, and Mutt being eaten alive by piranhas when they are trying to get back into the duck.

About the waterfalls not being CGI, well maybe it was because of the crappy cinematography that they looked fake.

Shark_Blade

Well, it was my second taste of Indy but it's simply the greatest among the series! I love it wholeheartedly, not a moment of boredom (well...only the part in the village where the chief gave his speech). 5/5 stars from me plus Willy and Shorty are memorable characters!(y) :whip:

LostArk

I remember about 2 years ago before I watched the trilogy, Temple was on TV and I watched the mine-car chase and bridge scenes and I also remember Indy knocking over baskets in Raiders.

Mutt-Jones III

Raiders of the Lost Ark.

LostArk said:
I remember about 2 years ago before I watched the trilogy, Temple was on TV and I watched the mine-car chase and bridge scenes and I also remember Indy knocking over baskets in Raiders.

The first Indiana Jones film I saw was the first, Raiders of the Lost Ark. :whip:

The Man

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Temple of Doom was my favorite as a kid, and it still is my favorite as a 26 year old.

It's certainly as good an Indy movie as we've ever had. That so many people disregard it is bewildering.

~KAT~

Nurhachi1991 said:
Indys best moment was from TOD

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8TRAnly5viA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8TRAnly5viA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

LOL! I loved that scene. Made me laugh everytime. Just the way he delivers it.

I love this movie! :D

SterankoII

I love Temple of Doom and the scene shown above is my favorite. That scene alone justifies Willie Scott because if it had been Marion or Elsa Indy and Short round would have gotten out faster and it wouldn't have been as suspenseful.

I think TOD is the Indy movie that actually feels the most like a movie made in the Thirties. Raiders has a more post-modern kind of sensibility.

"Bellosh"

TOD Overbashed

Replying to the original thread question, I watched all 4 movies in a 48 hour span a week-and-a-half ago and came away with the following conclusions:

I like all four movies quite a bit but think that "Raiders" and "Crusade" are a bit overated as many think they are significantly better than "Temple" and "Skull". I think all four are more comparable...not Oscar worthy in most cases but all solid, fun and very much worthwhile...TOD SHOULD NOT have this red-headed-step-child label to it. Kate Capshaw is pretty annoying but the villians are awesome and the action is what you expect...Short Round is a neat unique character (though slightly annoying, too)...AND the TOD ending is REALLY underated...the flooding of kids to Harrison at hte end is a really neat moment. And the goofy guy with the white hair provides a measure of unintentional humor that I find and enjoy in all four editions. CAN'T wait for the figures by year's end...specifically Mola Ram!

Marion Fan

I did not mind the 3 waterfalls but immediately I thought of TOD's raft scenes. I thought that was more thrilling than the 3 waterfalls. Although the 3 waterfalls is a helluva lot more believeable. The whole 3 waterfalls thing was a bit underwhelming really. Although Marion holding onto the broken stearing wheal was pretty funny. I thought.

Anyway, I like TOD much more now that I am older. I saw it when it came out the first time as a kid. Maybe eleven? I did not care for it back then. I thought the ripping of the heart out was really gross and scary. The dinner scenes damn near made me puke in the theatre. I did not care for Willie back then and did not understand or even know the film was supposed to be BEFORE Raiders. I did not care for the kids being whipped and made into slaves either. However, I always LOVED the Bridge and mine car scenes and Mola Ram getting tossed to his death by Indy. So, it was a love/hate film for me back then. I like it much better nowadays. Plus, the opening scenes of TOD are great with Lao-Che and his henchmen/sons and Short Round's intro.

DocWhiskey

Lonsome_Drifter said:
LMAO!
I love that scene as well. I still laugh at his expression.
"We..are..going..to..DIE!" >(

Oh, me too....

IndianaJonesGif.gif

Rococo

Count me in on a re-watch! There is so much in there jam-packed.

I grew up overseas in Asia, so the film had me hooked with the Chinese "Anything Goes"- and from there, it never slowed down! I never like kids in movies, but Short Round is great- score one for the precocious kid- and I love Indy's tenderness with him.

While I consider Raiders to be my favorite (probably because I've seen it the most), what I like about the series in general is that all three films are so different. The different cultures, different types of action and different feel. Some people seem to think that the fact that TOD, TLC and KOTCS have a different feel to Raiders makes them inferior, but I think that it's their strength, and part of their staying power.

Kooshmeister

I've already rewatched it. Our old DVD player died, and we got a new one a day or so ago, and ToD was the first DVD I watched on it. :D

Lonsome Indy

i remember watching it on the computer, and that one particular scene (we are going to die) is probably my favorite out of ToD.

i actually had to pause before i could go on, it was funny and exciting at the same time.