Favorite Component of Raiders

What is your favorite component of Raiders?

• Cinematography (Slocombe)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Score (Williams)

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Cast

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Direction (Spielberg)

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Script (Kasdan)

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Concept & Story (Lucas)

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • Visual Effects (ILM)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Sound (Burtt)

• Sets & Production Design (Reynolds)

• Editing (Kahn)

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

Ajax the Great

Raiders has been my favorite film of all time for as long as I can remember. When I was a young Indy fan, I loved it simply because it was so much fun to watch. As I've become more attentive to different aspects of films, I still love Raiders just as much. I think the reason I feel this way is because Raiders is an example of a movie in which every single aspect meshes together really well. For instance, the cinematography isn't the best I've ever seen (it's still very good, but ToD has it beat), and the screenplay is great...but not the best ever. So how is this movie so perfect for me, when it is made up of imperfect parts?

I think that it's because each aspect compliments every other aspect perfectly. All the little gears, if you will, fit together seamlessly. Because of this, it's really hard for me to pick out my favorite component of this movie, because they all stand pretty equally for me. I was wondering if the rest of you have favorite parts of this movie, hence this thread. If it turns out to be successful, either myself or someone else can set up polls for the other three films.

Crack that whip

As you note, it's so great in all the right ways that it's really hard to pick just one, but I've ultimately chosen concept & story, since that got the (big stone ;) ) ball rolling on everything else, as well as establishing Indiana Jones generally. But man, it's wonderful all around.

IndyCon

I voted for the Cast but all if those are brilliant and key to the movie and I'd vote for all of them if I could.

martinland

Crack that whip said:
As you note, it's so great in all the right ways that it's really hard to pick just one

Yep, we'd need multiple selections!

Which shows how brilliant and entertaining 'Raiders' happens to be across all departments! :whip:

Bye,
Martin

muttjones

a director of photography does not choose the angles in which the camera is placed and all. that is spielberg's job. Slocombe figured out the lighting and maybe operated the camera a bit. He would have also collaborated with spielberg on shots and angles etc. while on set.

I agree with your thoughts about everything meshing perfectly and sharing the credit for the success of the film. So I voted for Spielberg because I think he was the one that pulled the strings in order to make everything come together so well. But this film is a terrific example of everything coming together perfectly.

Ajax the Great

muttjones said:
a director of photography does not choose the angles in which the camera is placed and all. that is spielberg's job. Slocombe figured out the lighting and maybe operated the camera a bit. He would have also collaborated with spielberg on shots and angles etc. while on set.

Sorry about that. I was under the impression that the terms Cinematographer & Director of Photographer were interchangeable. I was referring to Slocombe's work with lighting and such.

Yeah, I agree with all of you in that it's really hard to pick one particular strength of the film. I didn't provide for multiple selections intentionally because I wanted to see if there ended up being a clear front runner. I guess not :p.

indyrcks

I love Raiders of the lost ark because there is just so many good scenes in it just brilliant and I loved the bit where Marion and Belloq were laughing together even though he was the bad guy

Niteshade007

I voted for script, although, like others have said, there are so many great components. I guess the writer in me would like to think that the script is the most important part.

I mostly chose script because I love Kasdan's first three films: Body Heat, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Empire Strikes Back. I haven't seen much else of his work (well, Return of the Jedi, which I liked, but it wasn't the same as Empire, for me.) I really do wish they had kept Kasdan throughout the other films, I might have enjoyed them more. Sometimes I question my "Indy fandom," since really the only one I love is Raiders. I can take or leave Temple of Doom, and Last Crusade and Kingdom are not films I enjoy very much.

JediPug1

Ooooh, it was hard to pick just one thing... Raiders is such an awesome achievement on sooo many levels... In the end, I went with concept and story... (y)

TrinitysGhost

I picked 'Cast' as my choice, although the plot/storyline would come in a close second. Lucas and Spielberg did a great job casting the roles that would become legendary. Sadly, I have a hard time picturing Danny Devito as Sallah (I don't discount him as an actor, but love John Rhys Davies' performance).

IAdventurer01

Basically, everyone of those is about equal on my list. It's the BLEND of all of them that make the movie shine. However, since I listen to the soundtrack far more than I watch the movie and love it every time, I'll give my vote to dear old Williams.

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
... it's really hard to pick just one, but I've ultimately chosen concept & story, since that got the (big stone ;) ) ball rolling on everything else, as well as establishing Indiana Jones generally. But man, it's wonderful all around.
Same here. Too hard to choose but, above all, this is the best reason.(y)

TREN KROM

Ooooh. That's tough...

I'll have to go with the Director. You just wouldn't get this good of a movie from anyone else than Speilberg.
Consept would be a close second. I just love the whole "Explorer" thing.

Muttette

I voted for the concept and story... it was a great idea and great character and if anything similar was ever done before hand it simply doesn't count because Indy's just too cool... ;)~

Mickiana

I hated voting for just one element. Raiders, the one and only, is the result of great inspiration, hard work, etc, etc. They must have had a ball making it - I say this because it's a ball to watch!