When Indy grabs the hat from Mutt....

michael

Was a magical moment, for me at least. Even haters loved this moment.

When he grabs the hat and walks out with Marion, ALL 3 of them are smiling, but that's not their characters smiling, that's Harrison Ford, Shia LaBeouf and Karen Allen smiling.

They ALL knew this was it. They ALL knew the importance of the moment. That's how the story ends, Indiana Jones lives on and nobody can replace him.

I don't see how there could be a fifth with that ending. Regardless of everything leading up to it, it completed the saga perfectly. I think that's all we can ask for.

In my opinion it's the still the best ending out of the four. Yeah I went there. Mostly because when I saw it, I knew that was it. I'm not going to see another new one ever again. Oh he's got more adventures ahead of him that's for sure, but not for us to see.

It seems most of the reason why we want a fifth one (well besides the fact that it's MORE Indy) is to replace the 2nd half of the movie, because it drops like a rock when they get to Marion---no offense, doll. That is NOT why you should make an Indy five. You make it because it WORKS. Crystal Skull still WORKS, no matter how subpar it is to the rest.

You make a fifth, in this series, after that ending, it better be f***ing PERFECT and it better have an ending to all endings.

ok, I only brought all this up because I watched it recently, and the ending just kills me everytime!

The Drifter

I remember reading all the threads that stated the rumor of how Indy was gonna pass the hat to Mutt in the film.
I went to the theater opening day, and when it showed Mutt picking up the hat I groaned and was already growing pissed. But, then Indy grabbed it, gave that wry smile, and placed it on his own head while the theme music hits. I believe I did jump with a shout of joy. My wife looked at me very weird.

That is one of my favorite moments in any of the movies.

michael

Yup! I turned to my buddy, hit his arm and went YEAH!!

I remember thinking when Indy and Marion were kissing that there is still something in store for us in a few seconds. The anticipation was immense.

It's still the happiest moment I've ever had while watching a movie.

michael

an actor's smile doesn't get more genuine than this:

499.jpg

kongisking

michael said:
Was a magical moment, for me at least. Even haters loved this moment.

When he grabs the hat and walks out with Marion, ALL 3 of them are smiling, but that's not their characters smiling, that's Harrison Ford, Shia LaBeouf and Karen Allen smiling.

They ALL knew this was it. They ALL knew the importance of the moment. That's how the story ends, Indiana Jones lives on and nobody can replace him.

I don't see how there could be a fifth with that ending. Regardless of everything leading up to it, it completed the saga perfectly. I think that's all we can ask for.

In my opinion it's the still the best ending out of the four. Yeah I went there. Mostly because when I saw it, I knew that was it. I'm not going to see another new one ever again. Oh he's got more adventures ahead of him that's for sure, but not for us to see.

It seems most of the reason why we want a fifth one (well besides the fact that it's MORE Indy) is to replace the 2nd half of the movie, because it drops like a rock when they get to Marion---no offense, doll. That is NOT why you should make an Indy five. You make it because it WORKS. Crystal Skull still WORKS, no matter how subpar it is to the rest.

You make a fifth, in this series, after that ending, it better be f***ing PERFECT and it better have an ending to all endings.

ok, I only brought all this up because I watched it recently, and the ending just kills me everytime!

This could have been written by me; I think the exact same things on all of your points. Spooky! I'm glad some of us got the intended meaning of this moment....unlike many haters, who probably insist that it was meant to set up Mutt gaining the hat in Film 5. Poor Spielberg and Lucas. :(

Montana Smith

I saw that moment as a statement that Mutt wasn't ready to take over, he hadn't yet earned the fedora, and that Indy was still able enough to continue.

However, there was the implication that Mutt thought he had a right to wear the fedora: that he saw himself as the rightful heir to the Indiana Jones legacy.

Therefore that scene cuts both ways: to the older Indy fan full of nostaliga it was a fantastic moment of confirmation, that the film-makers hadn't given up on the character.

To the younger fans, new to the characters, and without the years of familiarity with Indiana Jones, it was a teaser to what the future might bring: that this young 'hero' in the making will one day earn that right, and the legacy will continue with an actor closer to their age range.

In TOD, although Shorty saw himself as Indy's personal bodyguard, there was never any sense that the kid would one day take over Indy's role. Since back then Indy's age wasn't an issue. With KOTCS age is a defining feature, and Mutt is a young would be-usurper. Indy is constantly forced to prove himself worthy of his own hat.

It's another aspect that causes me to see KOTCS as neither one thing nor the other. Lucas and Spielberg couldn't hope to please all the original fans, as well as sell the concept of the character to a new generation.

Releasing a movie 19 years after it's predecessor in the series, with the same actors, was a brave attempt. On the one hand it was great to see Indy again, but on the other there were too many awkward moments. The 'hat scene' appears like an attempt to bridge the divide.

Wilhelm

For me is a better conclusion than Last Crusade because it uses the main symbol of Indy: his hat.

I also like that the empty church is similar to an empty cinema theater with the audience going outside.

Darth Vile

Mutt (as portrayed by Shia) could have been a standout character in KOTCS. As it was, he wasn't... I guess when making a movie like Indiana Jones or Star Wars, there is always a chance that a secondary character can go on to have stories of their own and become a much larger character outside of their actual screen time... be that Boba Fett, Darth Maul (or Marcus Brody in the comics) etc. etc. Spielberg and Lucas were just being shrewd in keeping the option open. I don't think they ever seriously intended for Mutt to replace Indy in any shape or form... other than perhaps a spin off if the character was a hit with audiences.

Indy's brother

While I don't agree that this is or should be the end of the big screen adventures of Indiana Jones featuring Harrison Ford, I really like this thread. Michael has (in my opinion) very nicely summed up the spirit of this scene. (y)

And this:
Lonsome Drifter said:
I believe I did jump with a shout of joy. My wife looked at me very weird.

That is one of my favorite moments in any of the movies.

Watching you jump up and shout for joy would have been my favorite moment of the films; that's the kind of stuff that Indy Fandom is all about.:hat:

kongisking

Indy's brother said:
While I don't agree that this is or should be the end of the big screen adventures of Indiana Jones featuring Harrison Ford, I really like this thread. Michael has (in my opinion) very nicely summed up the spirit of this scene. (y)

And this:

Watching you jump up and shout for joy would have been my favorite moment of the films; that's the kind of stuff that Indy Fandom is all about.:hat:

You think that's nuts? Before going into the theater to see it, I was so excited that I vomited. True story. :sick:

And yes, I almost broke down in joy when Indy turns to camera for the first time. :eek:

Indy's brother

kongisking said:
You think that's nuts? Before going into the theater to see it, I was so excited that I vomited. True story. :sick:

That's the stuff......on your shoes that is! :p

(Hmmm. I feel a new thread brewing...)
kongisking said:
And yes, I almost broke down in joy when Indy turns to camera for the first time. :eek:

Absolutely, that was a great moment. Still gives me goosebumps when the mood hits me right. There's magic in that friggin' hat when it's in Harrison's/Indy's possession. I've never gotten that feel from any of Indy's younger incarnations. Nothing against those guys, but Harrison wears it best. Which is a big reason why the opening reveal, ant fight hat retrieval, and (especially) the closing scene's hat trick work so well.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Indy's brother said:
Which is a big reason why the opening reveal, ant fight hat retrieval, and (especially) the closing scene's hat trick work so well.

Great point here...in each of the successive sequels, they've taken the trouble to make sure that new audience members get that the hat is a big deal, giving it plenty of play prior to its big moment, be it the exchange of hats in Temple of Doom, the hat rolling up to Indy at the cliffside, or the last-minute reclaiming at the church.

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
Great point here...in each of the successive sequels, they've taken the trouble to make sure that new audience members get that the hat is a big deal, giving it plenty of play prior to its big moment, be it the exchange of hats in Temple of Doom, the hat rolling up to Indy at the cliffside, or the last-minute reclaiming at the church.

And such a great gag could have been lost, if they'd gone with the August 1979 3rd Draft, in which he appears to lose two hats:

Indy dashes for the light of the exit. His hat flies off his head. Almost immediately it is crushed by the boulder.

Immediately, the Wurrfler begins to move. And as it does, we see the rail at the aft of the main deck. From nowhere, a wet sleeve appears and a hand grabs the rail! Indy pulls his dripping body onto the sub's main deck. He has lost his felt hat once and for all.

kongisking said:
Before going into the theater to see it, I was so excited that I vomited. True story.

I'll never forget that image!

Indy's brother

Well said.(y)

My usage of the term "hat trick" is no accident:

hat trick
noun
three successes of the same kind, esp. consecutive ones within a limited period

From our very first introduction to the character, the hat is his defining visual element. Though I struggle to think of a hat-losing scene in ROTLA, in each of the following films, he manages to lose it and regain it in some satisfying way. TOD, LC, and KOTCS all give their propers in their respective introduction and loss/recovery aspect of the iconic fedora. KOTCS upped the ante with the third wink to it at the end, which in retrospect seems like an obvious progression. Indy has evolved to be known as "The Man With The Hat", after all. It's truly wonderful that the symbolic importance of the fedora to Indy's identity as a character is so well understood by Spielberg.

The Drifter

Each one of these scenes always leave me feeling awesome inside. I don't know what it is. Over countless viewings of all four films; these scenes always leave me muttering "Hell yeah!".
Maybe, it's because the fedora is such a part of Indy, that without it, or through the fear of losing it the audience gets nervous, and when Indy get's it back, we pump our fists or sigh in relief.
In all honesty, if Indy went through a new movie without the hat; it would be a big letdown for me, and I do believe I'd be pretty upset about it.

Indy's brother

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Maybe, it's because the fedora is such a part of Indy, that without it, or through the fear of losing it the audience gets nervous, and when Indy get's it back, we pump our fists or sigh in relief.
In all honesty, if Indy went through a new movie without the hat; it would be a big letdown for me, and I do believe I'd be pretty upset about it.

It's completely by design. I'm too lazy to find, quote and cite the source, but this is (I believe) pretty well known anyway. When Spielberg first discussed the score with John Williams, Williams asked "All I want to know is, does he keep the hat on the whole time?" or something very close to it. I believe it was in the special features of the OT dvd box set.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Indy's brother said:
It's completely by design. I'm too lazy to find, quote and cite the source, but this is (I believe) pretty well known anyway. When Spielberg first discussed the score with John Williams, Williams asked "All I want to know is, does he keep the hat on the whole time?" or something very close to it. I believe it was in the special features of the OT dvd box set.

Hah! I actually don't remember that particular remark, but I like it. It <I>is</I> rather telling.

The Drifter

Indy's brother said:

Now that you mention it, I recall something like that as well. So, it was in the older box set? I have both, but have not watched the older one in awhile.

Indy's brother

Ahh, I found that quote. It was Spielberg speaking not to Williams, but to Ben Burtt at Skywalker Sound "I had a conversation, a long conversation with Steve over the phone about the nature of the whole film...........Does the hero's hat stay on all the time? He said, "Yes it does." And then I understood what kind of movie we were making."

It's on the bonus disc of the original dvd box set, under the featurette, "The Sound of Indiana Jones", in the first 2 minutes or so. :hat:

In any case, my point remains, the hat's importance in staying on Indy's head is an intentional design element to the character and the way these stories are told. ;)

Forbidden Eye

Actually...I agree with you. Completely.

The ending is designed to the point there's not real good way to follow it up. And your right that because the 2nd half has some issues is the only real reason we want a follow up. But while it gets way too sentimental, it works.

I also thinks its a better ending then Last Crusade. The walking into the sunset end is great in theory, but its really poorly designed.

The only way an ending for Indy could get grander is if Indy were to actually die which I'm not sure I really want to see.