Why is it "cool" to hate on KOTCS?

Darth Vile said:
Same principle can be applied to KOTCS... maybe you didn't "get it".

What's to get? They milked a franchise's saggy and weary *** until it no longer even dripped with goodness. It was a sad and confusing, tension absent ride on rails that didn't once convince me any of the people were real. When ten minutes in they blow your sixty something hero half way across the desert in a fridge during a nuclear explosion and he gets out unscratched, why bother to continue watching? Just plain old stupid, lazy film making.

Thor on the other hand was Shakespearean tragedy with comic book supermuscles and it hit all the right beats and cues with panache.

Darth Vile

replican't said:
What's to get? They milked a franchise's saggy and weary *** until it no longer even dripped with goodness. It was a sad and confusing, tension absent ride on rails that didn't once convince me any of the people were real. When ten minutes in they blow your sixty something hero half way across the desert in a fridge during a nuclear explosion and he gets out unscratched, why bother to continue watching? Just plain old stupid, lazy film making.

Thor on the other hand was Shakespearean tragedy with comic book supermuscles and it hit all the right beats and cues with panache.

LOL - Is that an attempt at humour or have you recently suffered a bang to the head? Ken Branagh may have been involved, but Thor was as far removed from Shakespeare as KOTCS was from a movie about US foreign policy and the Cold War (please don't believe the PR so easily). You need to develop some self awareness (or sense of humour) if you attempt to take the artistic moral high ground when using a camp movie about a man in a tight t-shirt (with a hammer) as a baseline for quality.... If you want something "Shakespearean" I'd suggest actually reading some Shakespeare as opposed to a lazy justification for liking a Marvel camp comic character. Doh! :D

Darth Vile said:
LOL - Is that an attempt at humour or have you recently suffered a bang to the head? Ken Branagh may have been involved, but Thor was as far removed from Shakespeare as KOTCS was from a movie about US foreign policy and the Cold War (please don't believe the PR so easily). You need to develop some self awareness (or sense of humour) if you attempt to take the artistic moral high ground when using a camp movie about a man in a tight t-shirt (with a hammer) as a baseline for quality.... If you want something "Shakespearean" I'd suggest actually reading some Shakespeare as opposed to a lazy justification for liking a Marvel camp comic character. Doh! :D

I've got a degree in English Literature and have read more than enough Bill Shakey, ta very much...

Montana Smith

I always thought Thor was tragic.

His costume was always comedic, and now it's downright hilarious.

So I guess Thor the movie is a tragi-comedy.

Oh, this isn't The Avengers thread? What a mistaker, to maker. :eek:

The Drifter

Montana Smith said:
I always thought Thor was tragic.

His costume was always comedic, and now it's downright hilarious.

So I guess Thor the movie is a tragi-comedy.

Oh, this isn't The Avengers thread? What a mistaker, to maker. :eek:

Yep, just like that big cinder-block with a stick rammed through it! I hate the design of that damned hammer. A tragic comedy, indeed.
Oh, wait! Did you say that this wasn't The Avengers thread!? Dammit...

Darth Vile

replican't said:
I've got a degree in English Literature and have read more than enough Bill Shakey, ta very much...

Then that is a depressing thought indeed i.e. that the university system (US or British?) can shape someone into thinking that Thor is comparable to Shakespeare. I guess in that world Rebecca Black is seen as the new Janis Joplin/Ella Fitzgerald. Such depressing times we live in... ;)

Darth Vile said:
Then that is a depressing thought indeed i.e. that the university system (US or British?) can shape someone into thinking that Thor is comparable to Shakespeare. I guess in that world Rebecca Black is seen as the new Janis Joplin/Ella Fitzgerald. Such depressing times we live in... ;)

English, mate - I'm English. I speak and read the language fluently, know what I mean?

Um, have you actually seen Thor? I would have thought the parallels were obvious.

Here's Branagh's take on it:

http://www.reelz.com/movie-news/101...speare-casting-controversy-and-hawkeye-cameo/

Look, comparisons to literature are not really the point here. The point is that Thor is a great film and Crystal Skull really does just suck arse. A deflated overegged mess of a pudding, it excavates the precious relics of a once memorable series and then proceeds to smash them up. With cgi gophers and monkeys and flying fridges and shit like that.

God, even thinking about the film makes me cringe.

Darth Vile

replican't said:
English, mate - I'm English. I speak and read the language fluently, know what I mean?

Um, have you actually seen Thor? I would have thought the parallels were obvious.

Here's Branagh's take on it:

http://www.reelz.com/movie-news/101...speare-casting-controversy-and-hawkeye-cameo/

Look, comparisons to literature are not really the point here. The point is that Thor is a great film and Crystal Skull really does just suck arse. A deflated overegged mess of a pudding, it excavates the precious relics of a once memorable series and then proceeds to smash them up. With cgi gophers and monkeys and flying fridges and shit like that.

God, even thinking about the film makes me cringe.

Look – I don’t think anyone is trying to make you like KOTCS anymore than you already do… feel free to hate on it all you want. The point being made is that by using Thor as a baseline for quality, and then comparing what is (and lets be honest/frank) a vacuous, disposable, homogenous Hollywood movie to Shakespeare seems not only naïve, in terms of your argument, but is actually quite self defeating i.e. it makes your position appear contradictory, hypocritical, weak and, dare I say it, a tad moronic. Anyone can draw parralels to justify a movie... and in this instance Ken B talking parralels is simply another bit of Hollywood schtick to sell what is just another unnesersary and forgetable adaptation of a comic book character (that's not to say you shouldn't enjoy it for what it is).

Replican't - “Comparisons” are indeed the point in this case - as by making the comparison you do with Thor, you are bringing your own critical faculties into question… which in turn undermines anything valid you may have to say about KOTCS (or any other movie). I want to give you the benefit of the doubt and get your point... I truly do, but I’m sorry, it's difficult to take seriously a critique of KOTCS from someone who thinks Thor is a “great film” and akin to some of the greatest literature the world has ever known. It’s like being lectured on ‘Tolerance & Understanding’ by Pol Pot. :)

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
I'm paralyzed because I can see all sides of the issue!

Love the assesments though!(y)

Stoo:Has a certain appreciation for Mutt, especially being a "Dippity dude." Has a serious distaste for the Crystal Skull Generation but the inclusion of Pancho Villa is the films greatest validation!
Great Calvin cartoon, Rocket. Very à propos!

1 out of 3 correct. (Former Dippity Doo dude who switched to hairspray and mousse in the late '80s.:eek:)

Stoo: COOL. Disappointed. Indifferent. Surprised by its good qualities. Does not hate Mutt. Warehouse scene LOVER! Not a "Skull" hater.
Attila the Professor said:
You have one of these in your magic bag about me? Or yourself, for that matter?
Ha ha, the 'magic bag'!:D (Thanks to Mattzilla for that one). I have an assessment for everybody, Attila.;) Sticking to the thread contributors:

Attila the Professor: Intelligent. Positive. Level-headed & fair. Likes Dean Stanforth & Mac dialogue. Not a "Skull" hater.
kongisking: Naive. Enthusiastic. Unabashed gusto. "Skull" lover & champion.
replican't: Negative. Fixative. Flat-out, no-holds-barred, bona fide "Skull" hater.

@replican't: You hate "Crystal Skull"...but are you cool?:confused:

The Drifter

Stoo said:
Great Calvin cartoon, Rocket. Very à propos!

1 out of 3 correct. (Former Dippity Doo dude who switched to hairspray and mousse in the late '80s.:eek:)

Stoo: COOL. Disappointed. Indifferent. Surprised by its good qualities. Does not hate Mutt. Warehouse scene LOVER! Not a "Skull" hater.
Ha ha, the 'magic bag'!:D (Thanks to Mattzilla for that one). I have an assessment for everybody, Attila.;) Sticking to the thread contributors:

Attila the Professor: Intelligent. Positive. Level-headed & fair. Likes Dean Stanforth & Mac dialogue. Not a "Skull" hater.
kongisking: Naive. Enthusiastic. Unabashed gusto. "Skull" lover & champion.
replican't: Negative. Fixative. Flat-out, no-holds-barred, bona fide "Skull" hater.

@replican't: You hate "Crystal Skull"...but are you cool?:confused:

Love this, Stoo! :D
Do one for me now. Please?

Montana Smith

The Drifter said:

The Drifter: Takes a rational, level headed approach to KOTCS, though is occasionally driven into the 'What r u eating' thread to take his mind off the tightness of his Lederhosen. Not a Skull hater.

:D

Darth Vile said:
Look – I don’t think anyone is trying to make you like KOTCS anymore than you already do… feel free to hate on it all you want. The point being made is that by using Thor as a baseline for quality, and then comparing what is (and lets be honest/frank) a vacuous, disposable, homogenous Hollywood movie to Shakespeare seems not only naïve, in terms of your argument, but is actually quite self defeating i.e. it makes your position appear contradictory, hypocritical, weak and, dare I say it, a tad moronic. Anyone can draw parralels to justify a movie... and in this instance Ken B talking parralels is simply another bit of Hollywood schtick to sell what is just another unnesersary and forgetable adaptation of a comic book character (that's not to say you shouldn't enjoy it for what it is).

Replican't - “Comparisons” are indeed the point in this case - as by making the comparison you do with Thor, you are bringing your own critical faculties into question… which in turn undermines anything valid you may have to say about KOTCS (or any other movie). I want to give you the benefit of the doubt and get your point... I truly do, but I’m sorry, it's difficult to take seriously a critique of KOTCS from someone who thinks Thor is a “great film” and akin to some of the greatest literature the world has ever known. It’s like being lectured on ‘Tolerance & Understanding’ by Pol Pot. :)

Up your own patronising arse much?

Not sure if you're aware of this, but Shakespeare's plays were written to be performed, and often were rowdy, knockabout affairs that appealed to low- and well as middle- and highbrows. Even when his tragedies dealt with heavy subjects, they were often tempered with bawdy humour and toilet jokes. No need to hold the guy up on a pedastol of your own warped creation - he was a great writer for the stage, not some untouchable sacred stone.

If Ken Branagh, with his pedigree and schooling in the stuff, wants to make the Thor and Henry V comparison, fair play to him. Even on the single viewing of the film I've had, it was pretty obvious the story dealt with the very same issues of father / son / nationhood loyalty, responsibility and committment that can be found in any number of canonical works.

Plus Thor looked good, it had good fight scenes, was well paced and had enough suspense and believably drawn characters to keep you guessing and rooting for the characters.

None of which applies to Crystal Skull.

Ultimately, Lucas, Spielberg and Ford produced a mediocre film which pretty much missed every button by a country mile.

The Drifter

Montana Smith said:
The Drifter: Takes a rational, level headed approach to KOTCS, though is occasionally driven into the 'What r u eating' thread to take his mind off the tightness of his Lederhosen. Not a Skull hater.

:D

Hah! I love it! 10/10. (y)
But, yes. I see it's pros and cons. I can watch it with a smile on my face, but would rather watch the other three. Also, this Lederhosen is KILLING me!

Darth Vile

replican't said:
Up your own patronising arse much?

Not sure if you're aware of this, but Shakespeare's plays were written to be performed, and often were rowdy, knockabout affairs that appealed to low- and well as middle- and highbrows. Even when his tragedies dealt with heavy subjects, they were often tempered with bawdy humour and toilet jokes. No need to hold the guy up on a pedastol of your own warped creation - he was a great writer for the stage, not some untouchable sacred stone.

If Ken Branagh, with his pedigree and schooling in the stuff, wants to make the Thor and Henry V comparison, fair play to him. Even on the single viewing of the film I've had, it was pretty obvious the story dealt with the very same issues of father / son / nationhood loyalty, responsibility and committment that can be found in any number of canonical works.

Plus Thor looked good, it had good fight scenes, was well paced and had enough suspense and believably drawn characters to keep you guessing and rooting for the characters.

None of which applies to Crystal Skull.

Ultimately, Lucas, Spielberg and Ford produced a mediocre film which pretty much missed every button by a country mile.

No matter how hard you try, (and I do welcome your strong opinions) you're not convincing anyone that Thor is comparable to what is considered works of great literature, nor is it comparable to what I'd think of as a great movie in similar genres e.g. Star Wars, Raiders, Superman: The Movie, Howard The Duck ;)... Thor isn't even in the same league as Spiderman/Iron Man and X-Men is it (well Spiderman 3/X-Men 3 perhaps)???

If you use Thor as a measure of greatness, then we have the measure of your baseline for comparison... and it's very, very questionable. And to tie this back into the thread... if you don't mind me saying... you add fuel to the fire that it is, by some, viewed as "cool" to hate KOTCS - as your view seems somewhat incongruous with your actual tastes.:D

Stoo said:
1 out of 3 correct.
Hey, you're too complicated a guy to be summed up in ten words or less...

Darth Vile said:
No matter how hard you try, (and I do welcome your strong opinions) you're not convincing anyone that Thor is comparable to what is considered works of great literature...
Come on! If I can compare toilet paper to handmade lace napkins...

But the strong opinions are welcome!

Stoo

The Drifter said:
The Drifter (formerly known as Lonsome Drifter): Stable. Understanding. Cool as a cucumber. Hungry hillbilly with a big appetite (but not overweight). First cinema experience was "Crystal Skull". Sees its good and its bad. Poor parts do not make him vomit. Loves the character of Indiana Jones. Not a "Skull" hater.
Rocket Surgeon said:
Hey, you're too complicated a guy to be summed up in ten words or less...
That's what she said!:eek:
replican't said:
Replican't, what I'd like to know is: Are you cool?:confused: One's coolness is an important factor here and lends more validity to their opinion.:p

Stoo said:
The Drifter (formerly known as Lonsome Drifter): Stable. Understanding. Cool as a cucumber. Hungry hillbilly with a big appetite (but not overweight). First cinema experience was "Crystal Skull". Sees its good and its bad. Poor parts do not make him vomit. Loves the character of Indiana Jones. Not a "Skull" hater.
That's what she said!:eek:
Replican't, what I'd like to know is: Are you cool?:confused: One's coolness is an important factor here and lends more validity to their opinion.:p

I'm hung like a hoover, look like Johnny Depp's sexier brother and taught Jimi Hendrix to play guitar. Does that make me cool?