Sinbad

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
Did you ever sit down and check out the series? I started to, but then got annoyed with the image quality and stopped approximately halfway through the pilot episode. It's been one of those things I've been meaning to get back to watching, but never did.
Yes, I did manage to see the 1st episode and it was SUPERB! This series could very well be one of the best adaptations yet. Anxious to see the rest.(y)
Le Saboteur said:
Sinbad: The Fifth Voyage appears to have come out a couple of years ago in... Iran? Bollywood? I'm not sure, but the majority of the cast appears to be of (at least) Arabic origin. That's Captain Picard doing the narration, and it looks like it'll have a US-release sometime in 2014. Not sure if that'll be theatrical, but home video seems virtually certain.

For some people though, the real treat of the flick will be their use of classic stop motion animation a la Harryhausen!
Wow! This looks like fun. They even say that it's filmed in DYNAMATION! Definite tip-o'-the-hat to Harryhausen. Not sure but it seems like Cpt. Picard is reading lines from the actual text in "Thousand and One Nights". Thanks for the heads-up.:hat:

----
In other news:
"Son of Sinbad" is nuts! It's about the secret of 'Greek Fire', the legendary & forgotten formula for ancient napalm. Vincent Price is great in it (in a comedy role)! The final 30 mins. are good with references to other "Arabian Nights" tales & some decent action (which includes the Greek Fire). Great premise but the movie is really about something else...

Unbeknownst to me before, this was co-produced by Howard Hughes, which may be the reason why the film was filled to the brim with about 100+ scantily-clad, sexy babes. It was literally wall-to-wall chicks from beginning to end with a large amount of provocative dance sequences. Pretty bombastic and, apparently, the film was very controversial at the time. It came out in 1955 but was actually finished a few years earlier. Release was stalled because its numerous, risqué dance scenes had to be trimmed. (One of the main characters was played by the infamous, Lili St. Cyr, whose striptease act in Montreal during the late '40s & early '50s caused an uproar with the French Catholics. She got arrested for it and the club was shut down.)

The story, however, doesn't have much globe-trotting. No sailing involved at all! The only sizeable body of water to be seen is Lili St. Cyr's bathing pool (seriously)!

Sinbad_LiliStCyr_zps04fae155.jpg

----
NOTE: Sinbad's 1955 costume is a missing link! I'd often thought that Kerwin Matthews' shirt in "7th Voyage" was meant to resemble Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.'s shirt in the bookends of "Sinbad the Sailor". However, it's now obvious that Dale Roberston's outfit was the basis. See how "Son of Sinbad" maintains the Fairbanks look with the turban, earring, necklace & belt buckle. Then see how "7th Voyage" strips Kerwin Matthews of the jewellery & turban but keeps the exact same shirt & pants. (Maybe Columbia got a hold of the "Son of" costume when RKO folded right around that time?:confused:)

This was a fun discovery!:)

Sinbad_Comp_zpsbb4685db.jpg

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
Wow! This looks like fun. They even say that it's filmed in DYNAMATION! Definite tip-o'-the-hat to Harryhausen. Not sure but it seems like Cpt. Picard is reading lines from the actual text in "Thousand and One Nights". Thanks for the heads-up.:hat:

I really need to sit down and watch The Fifth Voyage but the word around town is that it... isn't good. Which is unfortunate because there's so much potential with the source material. But with a backlog reaching into the several hundreds now there's no telling when I'll actually get to it.

For those looking to add to their Sinbad viewing, Netflix is stepping into the fold with their newest anime, the fantasy-adventure, Magi: The Adventures of Sinbad! It appears to be a prequel to an anime-manga that I've never heard of, but from the few pieces of art and whatnot it looks like Netflix might be trying to claim some of One Piece's audience for themselves.

All of Season 1 will be available to stream on 14 July 2016. It's already begun airing in Japan however. There isn't a whole lot out there as of now, but this trailer does give a good look at the art styling and the general tone.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HDwt6JQMVLk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not sure what to make of it yet. Is it wholly new? An older series chopped into episodic content a la Gangs of Wassypur? Time will certainly tale, but I'm intrigued enough to watch at least a couple of episodes.

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
I really need to sit down and watch The Fifth Voyage but the word around town is that it... isn't good. Which is unfortunate because there's so much potential with the source material. But with a backlog reaching into the several hundreds now there's no telling when I'll actually get to it.
"Fifth Voyage" is atrocious! (n) Watch it for the stop-motion animation ONLY but the creatures don't have much more screen time than what was shown in the trailer. This film was a disappointment. (It has very little to do with Sindbad's actual 5th voyage so I don't know why the filmmakers decided to use that title.)

No interest in the anime thing. There's nothing Sindbad-ish about it!:confused:

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
No interest in the anime thing. There's nothing Sindbad-ish about it!:confused:

Five episodes in and I'm confident that my original thoughts are correct -- it's a fantasy-adventure drawing on the Sinbad stories as inspiration. So far Sinbad started as a porter in his hometown, captured a genie, and has just set off on the high seas in a dinghy. There was a dragon and some sort of sea monster as well.

Oh, and his arch-rival is chasing Sinbad in a 17th Century looking Spanish galleon.

Jafar, Ali-Baba, and Aladdin are supposed to appear at some point if I'm reading things correctly. It's certainly derivative, and full of all the conventions of anime, but I'm entertained.

Janbaaz Sindbad

India's contemporary set cinema and teevee is generally pretty good; that is to say, the movies are good, but the teevee shows run the range of painfully bad to good. Things become dicey once you step into historical productions, because you need a lot of CGI and the country just ins't there yet (China is just starting to get there); it's very close to what you would find in American teevee shows at the beginning of the century.

That said, this adaptation of Sindbad could be interesting. Not sure though if it's a full-on series or a collection of webisodes yet. Full show site here.

Synopsis said:
The world was supposed to be a place where all human beings could live in harmony and peace. Unfortunately it became a playground for an evil force so powerful that it could directly control the minds of mere mortals and turn them against each other. Iblis, the personification of evil was unstoppable and soon the world got divided, physically, emotionally and spiritually. A few good men, named the 7 protectors, managed to capture Iblis and tie him up with 7 chains in the dark underbelly of the ocean. They could only subdue him, not destroy him. Now his most loyal disciple, Keharmaan, wants to unlock the 7 chains and free and resurrect Iblis and unleash unimaginable horrors to the world. For the same he needs the 7 keys whose location can be unlocked using a diamond cuff. In his endeavor he ravages Basra, kills Zafar, the man in possession of the diamond cuff and destroys a loving family, turning his 8 year old son into an orphan. That boy is, Sindbad, whose tiny hand is endowed with the responsibility of safeguarding the diamond cuff, but whose innocent soul is filled with uncontrollable desires of vengeance. Sindbad decides to walk in his late father's footsteps and uproot evil from the face of the earth by destroying Iblis. Thus, Sinbad is thrown into a tumultuous journey across the seas, where he goes through dangerous and extraordinary experiences that make him realise that' 'Bure se pehle burai ko khatam karna chahiye'.Ultimately, will he succeed? when his every step is challenged by not only, Keharmaan but the various monsters and magical creatures that populate the world?

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ra-cEALTcq4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

curmudgeon

New Sinbad film in development from Studio 8 (who are distributed through Sony).

Kyle Killen is on board to write, with Miguel Sapochnik (Repo Men, episodes of "Game of Thrones") on board to direct.

?Sinbad was a rare comprehensive and engaging pitch which lends itself to an international audience and big visual set pieces but also distinct and unique actor roles for a diverse cast of characters,? reads Studio 8?s statement on the film. ?This project is part of Studio 8?s ongoing commitment to working closely with filmmakers on the re-imagination of genres.?