Indy catches egg in ToD deleted scene?

Wilhelm

Stoo said:
It appears that you haven't paid enough attention to this conversation before commenting. How old were you in 1984 and did you see "Doom" in the theatres?:confused:

I was 7 years old and I watched Temple 3 times in the theatres. After that The Goonies was promoted like "An Indiana Jones adventure for kids" (Like the new Tintin movie) including Short Round. I thought that the Goonies Rube Goldberg scene was interesting to mention in this conversation.

But, don't worry, I will not comment anything else. (English is not my native language so I find difficult to understand everything).

Stoo

Sharkey said:
I'm totally egging you on to post proof Mr deMille!
I suggest you hatch it before it spoils.
Well, guess I better get crackin' then!:p (For the record, I totally feel like Matt deMille.:eek:)
Montana Smith said:
From sitting on the fence on this one, I'm actually falling for the jaw-jaw of Sharkey. While Stewie has a high reputation for Indy accuracy and intuition, this may be one claim too far. That giant chicken may have messed with quite a few memories over the years.
Than go eat some Eggs Benedict, you turncoat!:gun: (Get it? Benedict Arnold, the infamous traitor of the American Revolution. Do ya get it?)
JayDee said:
Oh Stoo... Until now, I had a very high opinion of you! :mad: :D
Sorry to disappoint you, JayDee. I'm not a "Goonies" fan.:(
Wilhelm said:
I was 7 years old and I watched Temple 3 times in the theatres. After that The Goonies was promoted like "An Indiana Jones adventure for kids" (Like the new Tintin movie) including Short Round. I thought that the Goonies Rube Goldberg scene was interesting to mention in this conversation.
Sure it's worth mentioning but to say that people's memories might be confusing the egg scene with the one in "Goonies" is mildly irritating. It seems that most of you folks just don't want to believe that others have seen the "Doom" egg!

That said, I also remember some scenes with a fat kid in the temple but may be confusing those parts with the fat kid in "The Goonies".:p
Wilhelm said:
But, don't worry, I will not comment anything else. (English is not my native language so I find difficult to understand everything).
Then, Wilhelm, I truly apologize because I didn't know.:eek: Entschuldigen! Please, don't stop from commenting. (Though I hope you can understand all the great egg-related puns in this thread! It's nice to have fun while disagreeing.)

Stoo

Evidence - Exhibit A

Moedred already pointed the way to this script but I want to highlight a couple of things because they are relevant to the upcoming Exhibits B and C:

Egg_Script1.jpg

Egg_Script2.jpg

Stoo

Evidence - Exhibit B

Using annotations from the available scripts and information in J.W. Rinzler's book, ""The Complete Adventures of Indiana Jones", below is a timeline of story revisions and filming schedules. Note that the egg scene was STILL IN PLACE in the FINAL SHOOTING SCRIPT...*4* months after filming began.

(Relevant info emphasized in bold.)

1982 Aug 01 - 1st script draft (Biplane attack on DC-3 passenger plane. No egg scene.)
1982 Sep 13 - 1st script draft revision
1983 Mar 01 - 1st script draft revision
1983 Mar 10 - 1st script draft revision
1983 Apr 06 - 1st script draft revision (Biplane attack deleted. Egg scene added?)
1983 Apr 10 - shooting script
1983 Apr 18 - principal shooting begins
1983 May 09 - shooting script revision
1983 Jun 21 - shooting script revision (Egg scene added?)
1983 Jul 14 - shooting script revision (Egg scene added?)
1983 Jul 20 - shooting script revision (EGG scene present)
1983 Aug 26 - principal shooting ends
1983 Aug 29 - pickup shooting begins (Plane interior filmed)
1983 Aug 30 - pickup shooting (Shorty looking from parachutes filmed)
1983 Sep 07 - film crew moves to Novato for shoot at an airfield.
1984 Feb 02 - After many more pickup and visual effect shots, filming ends.

From "The Complete Adventures of Indiana Jones", J.W. Rinzler, Pages #168-169:

"While Muren, Peterson, Johnston, and others plotted out how they were going to complete ILM's visual effects to-do list in time for the May 1984 release, the live-action pickups began on Monday, August 29, 1983, with the interior of the trimotor cargo area. On hand with Ford, Capshaw and Quan were Akio Mitamura (pilot) and Michael Yama (copilot). Together with Spielberg they finished scenes that had been rewritten at least twice and inserted into the script on June 21 and July 14, 1983 (script revisions had also been made to the interior of the Duesenberg and exterior airport scenes).

Although the biplane attack had been cut, now the pilots were charged with killing Indy themselves:

The copilot picks up a large wrench and hefts it. He peeks out the door again at Indiana Jones-and looks worried. He puts the wrench down and pulls a knife out of his belt...The pilot angrily jabbers in Chinese and hands the copilot a .45 automatic.

Indiana is asleep. Above him a chicken lays an egg-the egg rolls and totters on the brink of the cage-and then falls. Without opening an eye, Indy's hand instinctively reaches out and catches the egg before it hits the ground! Scared off by Indy's reflexes, the pilots decide to empty the gas tanks and bail out of the plane, without leaving parachutes.

When the trio sees its predicament, Willie says, "I picked the wrong week to give up Valium." On August 30, Spielberg shot Shorty looking in vain for more parachutes; Ford came down with the stomach flu, but kept working.

After Spielberg filmed a few more pickups, he and his crew traveled to Hamilton Air Force Base in Novato (about 20 minutes north of ILM) on September 7 to shoot exteriors for the Nang-Tao Airfield and runway."

+ the photo descriptions:

"OPPOSITE: Scenes in the airplane went through several iterations, including one in which the pilots are so impressed at how Jones, even sleeping, can catch and egg in his hand (BELOW, with drawing and mousetrap-like steps spelled out by Joe Johnston) that they pull a gun on him. (BOTTOM RIGHT, with Akio Mitamura as the pilot with the pistol)."
Sharkey said:
If I have to assume anything its that Rinzler would have mentioned any scene involving an egg when he put together the making of book and these promo articles.
Sharkey said that Rinzler never mentions the scene in his book.:rolleyes: Take that, Sharkey!:whip:

Stoo

Evidence - Exhibit C (The Smoking Gun)

For all ye who seek the truth,
Here lies the positive proof.
These scenes could not have been played for fun,
Doubters behold the smoking gun!:gun:

If the scene was never filmed then these photos would simply not exist. It's not rocket science.:rolleyes:
(Note: The shot of the pilot aiming the gun is the same angle as the one from the film.)

Egg_Pilot1.jpg

Egg_Pilot2.jpg

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo said:
For all ye who seek the truth,
Here lies the positive proof.
These scenes could not have been played for fun,
Doubters behold the smoking gun!:gun:

If the scene was never filmed then these photos would simply not exist. It's not rocket science.:rolleyes:
(Note: The shot of the pilot aiming the gun is the same angle as the one from the film.)

Egg_Pilot1.jpg

Egg_Pilot2.jpg

Ha!Ha! I was waiting for this. It goes to show how many people own "The complete making of" and have been too dazzled by the pictures to read it! Still, I guess without the scene there will always be doubts.

I wonder if some of the more "professional collectors" may have the final piece of the jigsaw squirrelled away in their archives...

Last edited:

Stoo

JuniorJones said:
Ha!Ha! I was waiting for this. It goes to show how many people own "The complete making of" and have been too dazzled by the pictures to read it!
No kidding. Talk about turning a blind eye...:rolleyes: All Quiet on the Western Front...
JuniorJones said:
Still, I guess without the scene there will always be doubts.
Before VCRs were common household items in the early '80s, I snuck a cassette recorder into the theatre for "Empire Strikes Back" and "Raiders" and taped the audio. If only I had done that for "Doom", then I'd have some BETTER proof!:mad: (By 1984, VCRs were everywhere so there was no point in audio-taping a movie because it would soon be available to buy a few months later...)
JuniorJones said:
I wonder if some of the more "professional collectors" may have the final piece of the jigsaw squirrelled away in their archives...
There is another avenue to pursue (but that one is in my back pocket just in case the scene isn't included on JayDee's DVD...)

Hanselation

I'm impressed what I started some days ago with entry #47 by grabbing out this thread, that was ignored for half a year before.

I did it because I would like to know how much of this scene was developed.
And I see, there comes is more and more information, that it still could have be done.

Of course I still doubt that it was in the movie, but also there is to see a germ of truth.
If JayDee will show us the promotion clip and we will see the egg scene, this raid will not end. The next thing is: Does the egg scene also exist in a movie version on VHS -american canadian or german or... edition?
If the scene was released on VHS, it should be possible to dig it somewhere. But till now there are only words, no evidence. So its normal that people like me, who didn't see this scene in 1984 in the movies and also not on versions after that, are still doubting.

These topic is a little bit like hunting for treasures only for fortune and glory.
So be on good terms, it's just fun. (y)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but all those pictures show is extend or alternate clips of the Pilots ... there are no chicken or eggs in that scene?

Stoo

Hanselation said:
I'm impressed what I started some days ago with entry #47 by grabbing out this thread, that was ignored for half a year before.
Indeed, Hanselation. I'm very happy that you answered my call to German fans (post #46).(y) This thread was asleep for too long...
Hanselation said:
These topic is a little bit like hunting for treasures only for fortune and glory.
So be on good terms, it's just fun. (y)
Correct!(y)
Pale Horse said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but all those pictures show is extend or alternate clips of the Pilots ... there are no chicken or eggs in that scene?
Aw, come on, Pale! Anyone with an interest in this topic (and who has been following this thread) should know that the pilots were supposed to kill Indy. The colour photo shows the pilot handing a gun to his co-pilot, the black & white one shows the pilot aiming the gun in order to do the nasty deed himself. As per the script, these bits were part of the egg scene.

Last edited:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo said:
No kidding. Talk about turning a blind eye...:rolleyes: All Quiet on the Western Front...

The Raven has lots of members talking about social networking and the food on their plates. They simply haven't got time to read any information about Indiana Jones!

People need to be encourage to be involved with this community and be a bit more active.

Montana Smith

Pale Horse said:

This is very true.

Stoo said:
Aw, come on, Pale! Anyone with an interest in this topic (and who has been following this thread) should know that the pilots were supposed to kill Indy. The colour photo shows the pilot handing a gun to his co-pilot, the black & white one shows the pilot aiming the gun in order to do the nasty deed himself. As per the script, these bits were part of the egg scene.

This could also be very true.

JuniorJones said:
The Raven has lots of members talking about social networking and the food on their plates. They simply haven't got time to read any information about Indiana Jones!

People need to be encourage to be involved with this community and be a bit more active.

That makes for a third truth! No more tweeting what you're eating!

I read every single word of The Complete Making of... (I was glued from start to finish). But remembering everything is another matter.

What's at stake here? Whether the egg scene was filmed, or whether it was ever included in a release of the film? If it's just the former, then the cut will most probably still exist in some archive. Knowing now how the revisionist Lucas works, he's always prone to going back and amending/including old footage - so to discard it would be out of character?

Stoo

JuniorJones said:
Don't be silly, Junior. Who has the time to read about Indy when there are all these upcoming film releases & video games to talk about?:p
Montana Smith said:
What's at stake here? Whether the egg scene was filmed, or whether it was ever included in a release of the film?
Both. Getting the doubters to realize it was seen by some people has now turned to battling the disbelief that it was even filmed.:( As stated earlier in the thread, the evidence I posted is not meant to prove that the part was in some prints but to reinforce the fact that the scene was shot.
Mickiana said:
Very inventive. Someone's got too much time on their hands.
The person is most likely an engineering student in university because Rube Goldbergs seem to be a common 'homework' project.
Pale Horse said:
I don't even think it was filmed.:)
Then how would you explain the photo of the pilot with the gun?:confused: If the scene wasn't filmed, then that photo wouldn't egg-zist.

JayDee

You just have to look over to another franchise: Star Wars.

There are so many "behind-the-scenes" pictures which proof that these scenes were actually filmed, too. And with this knowledge I gained over the last 20 years, the photo of the pilot with his gun is for me at least the proof that there is a missing and FILMED scene onboard the plane. All I wish is to find out now if the egg scene enhances the gun scene.

JayDee

Just FYI:

The tv station got my money (I had to pay 53,- ?) and told me that from now on it will take 2 weeks before I receive the DVD. Can´t wait anymore...

Pale Horse

Staff member
Stoo said:
Then how would you explain the photo of the pilot with the gun?:confused: If the scene wasn't filmed, then that photo wouldn't egg-zist.

:)

Filming a pilot with a gun is much different than filming an egg exiting from a chicken's arse and falling into a sleeping mans hand...

it's called an establishing shot in the industry to foreshadow the intent of the pilot to off Indy...no egg needed.