The Ark: "It is not of this EARTH"

Major West

Something that stood out for me on my last viewing of the film. Sallahs line about the Ark not being of this Earth. Perhaps Raiders is more like KOTCS than people think.

:hat:

Major West

ROB98374 said:
I think he meant Heaven, not somewhere from a galaxy far away.

Well yes he could have meant that, but it's open to speculation. Let's not close our minds about it. There are plenty of theories about the origins of religion.

Where did it come from. There's no such thing as heaven I'm afraid.

Last edited:

The Magic Rat

Wow. You're ignorant. This might sound strange to you, but "heaven" and "earth" are considered different things, especially if you look into historic literature.

DeepSixFix

Major West said:
Well yes he could have meant that, but it's open to speculation. Let's not close our minds about it. There are plenty of theories about the origins of religion.

Where did it come from. There's no such thing as heaven I'm afraid.
In ROTLA there IS a God and a Heaven. That's the key part of the awe and wonder to the MacGuffin. There's no Euro-Atheist revisionary thinking that can change that.

DeepSixFix said:
In ROTLA there IS a God and a Heaven. That's the key part of the awe and wonder to the MacGuffin. There's no Euro-Atheist revisionary thinking that can change that.

Hmmmm. I'll be Devil's Advocate for a moment and say all things were questioned and no explanation was sanctioned by Indy or anyone else.

Major Eaton says ...good God, and Marcus replied that's just what the Hebrews thought.

Indy describes the etching in his "German Bible" as fire, power of God or something.

The artifact is indellibly linked to the inspiration of God but the movie includes moments of reflection of the different characters and "their" take on things.

Is Heaven "UP THERE" and Hell "DOWN THERE"? In our crude expressions could it simlpy be another dimension?

Is it simply the presence of God vs the absence of God?

Since none of us can describe our "lives" before our current incarnation, will we recall any of this lives' events, (so what matters...)?

Will we find those answers on an Indiana Jones message board?

The thread poses the thought that CS is more like Raiders than we thought. I don't think so. It's not as carfully and caringly crafted or inspired. I think we've disected the films quite well, and whereas I'm always interested in some new perspective, CS is similar to Raiders in exactly the way we've determined...so far.

Sallah's "Not of this Earth" comment (throw-away line) is as deep as the whole of Crytal Skull...unfortunately.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Zeppelin said:
My reaction to that quote was, "what a bull**** throwaway line." A minor flaw in a great movie.

There are always throwaway lines, even in Shakespeare. That doesn't make them flaws; it's just part of what writing dialogue entails. When every line is portentous and meaningful, then you've got problems.

Zeppelin

Maybe, but it seemed to me they could've had Sallah say something a bit more substantial there. I'm not sure what, though.

Darth Vile

Zeppelin said:
Maybe, but it seemed to me they could've had Sallah say something a bit more substantial there. I'm not sure what, though.

Isn't the line simply intended to make the audience think "Hmmm, perhaps the Ark is something more than a simple archaeological/historical artefact..." i.e. it's giving a nudge to the notion that there is perhaps a supernatural element (a bit like the candle flicker in The Raven and the chimes when the headpiece is deciphered), without it being an unequivocal answer.

Indy's Fist

All the items in the Indy Jones films are all Mythological. No one has seen the Ark, the Holy Grail or the Sankara stones. Some crystal skulls have been found, but still who knows if they are real.

ROB98374

Indy's Fist said:
All the items in the Indy Jones films are all Mythological. No one has seen the Ark, the Holy Grail or the Sankara stones. Some crystal skulls have been found, but still who knows if they are real.

Your opinion has been noted.

Perhilion

Zeppelin said:
My reaction to that quote was, "what a bull**** throwaway line." A minor flaw in a great movie.
What's wrong with that line? I thought it was good; before the end, we didn't really know if the Ark had any power. Sallah's line was just adding to the mystery.

Zeppelin

It's clearly foreshadowing the supernatural climax, and that's fine. I just thought that "it is not of this earth" sounded a bit cheesy and vague. But like Attila said, not every line needs to be brilliant.

Darth Vile

Zeppelin said:
It's clearly foreshadowing the supernatural climax, and that's fine. I just thought that "it is not of this earth" sounded a bit cheesy and vague. But like Attila said, not every line needs to be brilliant.

Oh it is certainly a bit "cheesy", but it serves the purpose I think. :)