TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Old 08-14-2009, 03:52 AM   #26
Trennas
IndyFan

Well, those happen to be my favorites, so keep your fingers crossed that I have a lot of time coming up so I can translate the hell out of them! (also for my sake )
Trennas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #27
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Translation Part 14

"What's going on out there?" shouted an angry voice from the kitchen.

Indy twisted around sharply toward the voice and then froze on the spot as he came into the sight of a large caliber gun staring at him from the kitchen. Holding the gun was a third boy who was tall, dark-haired with a wiry physique who seemed quite disturbed with the happenings. Indiana understood almost at once that here he faced the most dangerous of the boys.

"Don’t move!” the boy ordered without even threatening a gesture with the gun.

Indiana saw that the hammer was cocked, and a finger poised on the trigger. He weighed his chance of jumping to escape but judging from the boy’s actions he realised this was an option he particularly liked.

"Who are you?,"asked the boy, cocking his head. "What are you doing here?"

"Nothing," Indiana quickly replied. "I must have got the wrong door. Please excuse me, I’ll go."

The boy was not amused.

"I think you’ve had your fun,” he said coldly. The boy raised the gun threateningly, lifting it from Indiana’s stomach to aim it right between his eyes.

"I've asked a question. Who are you? What are you doing here?"

Indiana saw a movement behind the boy and then Marian appeared into view holding a glass milk jug in her left hand and a cast-iron frying pan in the right. She was pale, trembling, with a small laceration bleeding above the eye.

"Use the Pan! " Indiana said gesturing behind the boy. "Gives a stronger hit!"

A casual, contemptuous smile flirted over the boy face.

"How stupid do you think I am?" he asked. "I don’t fall for those kinds of tricks."

"Well, that's good…" smirked Indiana.

Marian swung the pan with such force against the boy’s head that it burst open as if struck by lightning. The boy immediately collapsed to the floor but still with his finger clutched around the trigger.

Suddenly, a tremendous shot rocked the house to its foundations and shattered the picture on the wall that the burglars forgot to take on their last visited.

During the blast Marian has been knocked back but as she began to fall Indiana caught her and took her to the sofa. He quickly examined her wounds and was relieved to see she was not seriously injured.

She did not respond when he spoke to her but it was probably just the shock that made her dazed an confused.

Indiana went to the window to check the boy, whom he had beaten, was still as unconscious as the other two. But he knew they would not stay this way for long. He and Marian had to leave, and fast. Nevertheless, he took the time to search the two gangsters but without much success. He found no identity cards or other papers or anything that would hint at their identity. But he had almost expected this. The three were professionals, perhaps not particularly bright, but not so stupid as take their identities to a robbery.

Marian sounded a groan on the couch and Indiana moved to her with two quick steps.

"What happened?" She murmured, bewildered.

"Not now." he interrupted.

He stretched held out his hand and helped her get up. Marian was shocked when she saw the two unconscious figures under the kitchen door and in front of the stairs, but Indiana gave her no opportunity to say anything, but quickly asked: "Can you run?” She nodded. "Good," he said. "Then go to the car. Wait there. I'll be right back."

"Where are you going?" Marian asked.

"I’ve got to do something quickly, "he said. "Run into the car and lock the door from the inside and if one of these guys come out, don’t wait for me."

Last edited by Attila the Professor : 06-22-2014 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Fixed two instances of "Marion" instead of "Marian."
JuniorJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #28
Stoo
IndyFan

AWESOME! Way to go JuniorJones! Do you know German or did you use an on-line translator?
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #29
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
AWESOME! Way to go JuniorJones! Do you know German or did you use an on-line translator?

Thanks, just looking to get this kick-started again.

Not as much as I'd like but a little bit of German with a lot of on-line translators. My German isn't helping that much as the phrasing of sentence and words either don't flow naturally or simply mean something else. It's easier to work out and then build it up.

Last edited by JuniorJones : 01-03-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #30
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Translation Part 15

It took three or four hours until Marian had recovered her composure to the extent that Indiana could talk to her. Whilst driving home, she had sat pale and trembling in the passenger seat beside him, staring into space, and she had not reacted when Indiana spoke to her a few times. Then later in Indiana's house she had not spoken a word, not even responded when he asked several times whether she would agree to calling Marcus for help.

Finally, she broke her silence to consent to Indiana calling his old friend, who arrived less than half an hour later and listened with increasing alarm to the events that had unfolded.

Marcus, of course, had immediately proposed to go to the police, Indiana tried to persuaded Marcus to do otherwise but Marcus would have none of it. It was only the mention of the police that brought Marian out of her paralysis to side with Indiana.

Marcus could not convince them that it would be best to turn to the authorities but he agreed to wait at least long enough until they had seen Corda's records and put a little light on this matter.

Well, this appeared to be much easier said than done.

Most of what Indiana had brought from Stanley's work was completely useless. Notes, which dealt with his work. Drafts of lectures, cross-references to literature, whole pages with completely unintelligible abbreviations that were in Corda’s private code which even Marian could not decipher.

In some places of the works Indiana thought he could see a trail but just couldn’t piece it all together. Although there were only hints, a part thereof a sentence, a word here and a word there, latitude and longitude information it all seemed anything but encrypted and showed not the slightest sense.

Indiana continued to try and decode the work by studying the maps as he had the feeling that the solution maybe very close.

Whatever Stanley had written only made sense on a dozen of pages and each time Indiana felt he had made a link, it would simply break and he was back to the beginning but at this stage he was not prepared to give in.

The sun had began to dawn as Marcus had temporary give up on the task. Indiana's head was buzzing from all the seemingly useless information he had collected in trying to workout a pattern. His eyes burned because Stanley's handwriting was not only almost unreadable, but to be so tiny that he may have been able to fit the Old Testament comfortably on three sides of paper!

Exhausted Indiana leaned back and grabbed the cup of coffee, which Marian had prepared a couple of hours ago, only to find it had long since become cold.

In it’s present state Indiana’s living room barely differed from that of Corda’s, papers were piled on the table, the couch, the chairs, the mantelpiece, accompanied on the ground with scattered books and even more papers. All this was added to by the thick smoke that Marcus exhaled into the air from his pipe.

Marcus also looked tired as his eyes had become red with dark rings around them. His expressions fluctuated between confused and fustrated but then the same could have been said about Indiana. They both felt that in this apparently meaningless jumble there was hiding something, something big and significant.

"Stanley must have know something," muttered a tired Indiana for probably the two-hundredth time in the course of the afternoon.

"He has changed quite a bit in recent weeks," Marcus said as he leaned back and re-lighted his pipe. Indiana looked at him quizzically.

"I know you didn’t take kindly to him," Marcus said. "That's why you probably don’t care so much for him but I did.”

" And?” replied Indiana. Marcus shrugged.

"Nothing," responded Marcus, "He was always quite closed, but in recent weeks he has hardly spoken to anyone. Some of his students have already complained about him because he was so rude by practically answer no questions that were asked during the lecture. "

Indiana looked at Marian inquiringly, but she avoided his gaze and stared into the flickering flames of the fire.

"Let's rest for now,” beat Marcus before sighing, “but I suggest that I drive past Marian’s house again and have a look at things there"

“Out of the question,” Indiana replied , "It could be that you meet someone other than Stanley."

Marcus took the pipe from his mouth and rubbed his tired eyes with his thumb and index finger. "I'm not going to go in," he said. "They’ll be no-one to draw any suspicions if I drive by it," He hesitated a moment, then turned to Marian and added, “But you should really call the police. I still do not know what’s going on here, but it’s obvious that these boys are not joking.”

Marian shook her head. "Let me at least wait until tomorrow so....perhaps a trail."

Indiana was struck by the faint hesitation in her words. Surprised and a little bit confude, he looked at Marian. "What trail?" Again, she turned her gaze away from Indiana’s sight.

"Tomorrow," she said and stood up. "Mr. Brody is right, Indiana. It has been a tough day for us all. I'm going to go now...”

“Nonsense," interrupted Indiana. "You're going nowhere. The boy’s will come back"
Old 01-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #31
punisher5150
IndyFan

Awesome Junior Jones!

I have about 6 more months before I can get cracking at this again. Thanks for reigniting the thread, and looking forward to what develops!
punisher5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #32
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Translation 15 - Additional

"I will not put you at risk," Indiana continued with a conviction that seemed doubtful. Still, he added, "We are safe here. If they know who I am and where I live, they would have been here a long time ago. "

Marian did not argue anymore, but she looked at him very doubtful, and Indiana had a sudden sinking feeling that it would be anything but a quiet night.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #33
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Translation Part 16

The following morning, Dr. Henry Jones Jr arrived at the university for the first time in his tenure late for a lecture. His students welcomed him with a gleeful applause when he stumbled in to classroom untidily dressed, dishevelled hair and slightly dazed and confused. It was unfortunate for Indiana that these were the kind of students, in the second half of study, who would take great delight in making it difficult for him to carry on the lecture.

Not that this would have been necessary as Indiana had slept very badly. After a half-hearted attempt to tidy up the chaos in his living room again, he and Marian had gone to bed early but neither of them had more than one or two hours of sleep. Indiana was highly aware of every sound, no matter how low and few times he had heard Marian in the room next door restlessly rolling over in bed. Twice he got up and walked to the window when he heard noises outside in the street, but it had only been harmless night walkers talking.

He couldn’t understand why he was so nervous. In his other life when he was not working as a lecturer at the university he has been in more dangerous or even fatal situations. God knows it was not the first time he had to use his fists to defend himself, and not the first time anyone had tried to kill him. And yet there seem to be a difference. So far, he has always entered worlds that are at peace and had left them in far less peaceful state but that was the excitement for him. He had always sought danger. This time it was vice versa. It was as if something was broke and he had to tidy up and it was not him who took the initiative, but others, people whom he did not know, let alone why or what they did. The feeling of not acting, but only reacting made him so nervous.

Indiana was very glad when the lecture was over and he could leave the auditorium. But his relief was perhaps a little premature. The day continued as it had begun - he had left the auditorium just as he heard someone call his name and stopped. It was his secretary calling to him as she had a swarm of students trying to get to him through her.

Indiana looked at her guiltily for a few seconds, something told him that they brought no good news, and besides he didn’t have the time to talk any studies but as was his fate he went meet her.

"Am I glad to see you, Dr. Jones," she began breathlessly. "Mr. Grisswald has been calling.”

Indiana rolled his eyes.

"Tell him I was not here," he said and prepared to turn around. "Tell him I have gone to the South Pole to count penguins."

“I think you should better go and see him, Dr. Jones. He looked very angry.” replied the secretary.

Indiana stopped once again. That Grisswald was angry was nothing special. But something in the secretary's voice told him that it was more than the usual small war between them. So he decided after a few moments, albeit reluctantly, to do the only sensible thing and get the unpleasant part of the day over as soon as possible.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #34
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Translation Part 17

Without knocking, he entered Grisswald’s secretary’s office. Grisswald’s secretary looked up from her typewriter, clearly surprised by the aggressive way in which Indiana had entered the office. She decided not to say a word and only indicate, with a nod, to the closed double doors of Grisswald’s office. Indiana threw his briefcase on her desk, made an attempt to smooth his suit and straighten his tie and then opened the door into Grisswald’s office.

Half a second later he wished he'd not entered but instead had actually gone to the South Pole. Grisswald sat behind his desk with a demeander akin to the wrath of God along with eyes that were so cold they could have easily frozen the Pacific Ocean.

Grisswald was not alone. Behind him stood Pat and Patachon*. The smaller of the two had his arms crossed over his chest with his legs spread slightly and stood there like a catcher who was weighing up an opponent to grab. The larger of the two was not quite as under control as his hands were shaking and his eyes flashed suppressed rage. In view of the damage to his face even Indiana could understand. It was not that his face was been pretty the day before but had the look of the ancient Indian with the most terrible sunburn.

"Dr. Jones," began Grisswald. "How nice that you honor us with your presence " He made an imperious gesture. "Close the door."

Indiana obeyed. His thoughts began to move quickly as he slowly approached Grisswald’s desk whilst the two crooks alternately watched his every movement. He suddenly had a very bad feeling about this. Something was not how it should be. Or rather, not what he had believed that it to be.

"What's going on here?" He asked.

Grisswalds face darkened further. "Keep your mouth, Jones," he said. "I always knew one day that you would bring trouble to me. But even I could not have dreamed to be as big."

He pointed with a swing of his head to the two figures behind him.

"Gentlemen, Dr. Indiana Jones." He gestured at Indiana, only an implied gesture to the two guys behind him, "I hear that you all have met. Dr. Jones, may I introduce Mr. Henley and Mr. Reuben. They would like to ask some questions. And I pray for your sake that you know some damn good answers.

"Perhaps you tell me first what is going on here," said Indiana, deliberately falling into the same gruff tone as Grisswald. He leaned forward, rested his fists on the table, glaring at the Dean. "I know these two. In fact, at Marian Corda’s, I..."

Indiana suddenly stopped. The larger of the two, Reuben, made the same gesture as with yesterday attack by moving his hand underneath his jacket as if to draw a weapon but instead reveled a thin synthetic leather wallet, which Reuben dropped in front of Indiana. The wallet flipped open and out drop a printed card. Indiana was stunned for second as on the card is read:-

"F...B...I!" Indiana stuttered.

Reuben was visibly pleased with the reaction and quickly put back the wallet into his jacket and nodded.

“Special Agent, Reuben," he said and then pointing to his companion. "This is Special Agent Henley."

"Oh," said Indiana sheepishly.

Reuben was not taken by Indiana’s response as it only made him more angry.

"You have caused us a lot of trouble, Dr. Jones," he said. "You can thank Mr. Grisswald for not arrested you on the spot and locking you away for the next twenty years".

“But - ," began Indiana, but was immediately interrupted by Reuben.

"Interfering in state matters, obstructing an FBI agent on duty, assault on a state official, Dr. Jones. I could list more, but that's enough in itself for fifteen years. "

*the Scandinavian equivalent to Laurel and Hardy.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #35
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Translation Part 18

"How the hell should I know who you are? You could have identified yourself," Indiana said.

“We tried," said Henley.

"But you attacked us first and totally without warning." added Reuben.

Indiana's memory was a little differently but he knew how little he would benefit for arguing with the two men, so he said nothing. He looked Grisswald, then Pat and Patachon with narrowing eyes.

"Where is Mrs. Corda, Jones," asked Grisswald.

"How do I know?" Indiana shot back.

Reuben clenched his fist and said, "Don’t play us for fools, Jones. After both of us recovered she had disappeared along with you and since then she has not been seen. "

"So, you were at the house?" Indiana said smiling.

Reuben's face became even redder than it already was. He looked like he would explode at any moment. Indiana took the precaution of taking a step back from the desk.

"It's the second question on our list, Dr. Jones", he growled. "The house was taken apart from the attic to the basement. You do not happen to know by whom and why?

"No, "Indiana replied calmly. "And I think its better that I don’t say anything more." He turned to Grisswald. “Can, I use your phone?"

“Why, "asked Grisswald.

"To call my lawyer," Indiana replied calmly.

Reuben wanted to lash out but Indiana suddenly moved away to a side that he least expected.

Grisswald raised a soothing hand and said, "Dr. Jones, this is not yet necessary. You are not under any indictment. These two men just want some information from you.”

He turned around in her chair and looked up at Reuben.

“Believe me, with all the disagreements between Dr. Jones and I, Mr. Reuben, I’d still be happy to put my hand in a fire to vouch for his integrity "

"Then it will burn" Reuben murmured, but Grisswald continued unfazed.

"Dr. Jones tends to address some things a little unconventionally. But he would never violate any law," He turned around again and walked over to Indiana, "This is not about you, Jones. It is about Professor Corda. He has been missing since yesterday morning after his last lecture. No one has seen him and these two men have only tired to impress his wife to answer a few questions."

"For me, it looked different," muttered Indiana but Grisswald simply ignored his objection.

"You certainly remember the amulet I showed you yesterday," he said

Indiana nodded.

Grisswald then open a drawer in his desk and took out the tiny gold beetle and placed it on the table before him.

"Please, please think again about the piece, Jones," he said. "It's important. With all your knowledge and contacts you must know something"

"No, nothing" he said. "But what is this all about?"

Reuben wanted to intercede again, and again Grisswald interrupted with a quick gesture.

"Well, in recent weeks a number of these and similar artifacts showed up here in the city. Someone has sold an astonishing amount of this stuff. At very reasonable prices and with such skill that their identity was kept secret successful" said Grisswald.

“You already told me this yesterday," said Indiana. "But I do not understand what the FBI has to do with it? I mean, even if it is stolen works of art..."

"It does not matter," broke in Henley. "We've known since yesterday morning that they originate from Professor Corda. The question is where did he get them? "

Jones exchanged a quick glance with Grisswald, aside from FBI agents, as both had a understanding of the Corda's dealings.

Of course, their were rumors that the Cordas had a somewhat ambiguous relationship to some pieces in their possession and it was professional courtesy that these rumour did not spread. Indiana was the only one who knew where Cordas true wealth came from. Presumably, Grisswald also knew, at least since this morning. It was clear to Indiana, that the two FBI agents opposite, knew nothing.

"I don’t know," he said.

"Strange," said Henley thoughtfully and with a smile that was disgustingly fake. "Somehow I do not believe you, Dr. Jones."

Indiana just shrugged his shoulders.

"Where is Mrs. Corda. She maybe in a lot of trouble if you do not help us, Jones.” asked Reuben

"I don’t know," answered Indiana as at the moment it was at least the truth.

Although he had left Marian in his house Indiana was quite confident that she was no longer there. Henley stared at him as if he could read his thoughts but to Indiana's surprise he said nothing only shook his head and sighed audibly.

"So we are stuck," said Reuben. "What happened yesterday was probably only the result of a misunderstanding. I'm willing to overlook and forget about it - if you work with us. It is also in Mrs. Cordas interest.”

"Why?" replied Indiana.

“Because we believe that she is in danger, "said Henley,"Just like her husband"

Henley pointed with a fluttering gesture to the golden beetle on the desk.

"We need to know where this came from, Dr. Jones. Do not get me wrong - does not interest me that your colleague looted a Pharaoh’s graveor not. We do not care how he came into possession of this jewellery."

And at that moment it was the truth. "First, you need to know where the stuff comes from, and then…”

" It’s dangerous,Jones, " interrupted Grisswald. Reuben looked at him almost frightened, but Grisswald pointed to a shake of the head to answer, and continued: "There's something strange with these things. Some of the people who sold this item to Corda have become very ill. There have been two deaths."

"What? " Indiana asked in alarm.

Grisswald nodded and instinctively moved a little way from the little gold beetles continue on. "I know it is silly to hear," he said with an uncertain smile, "but it looks as if Professor Corda operated for some time had an almost unlimited pot of gold. I will now say nothing about whether it belongs to him or not. But something is not right with the gold. It is as if... "

“It would be a cursed,” muttered Indiana.

The Dean looked at him silently. He was still smiling. But it looked tortured and it was more of grimace than a real smile.

"It sounds crazy, I know," he said after a while. "But when it comes to crazy things you are the specialist, are you not?"

"That's enough, I ask you one last time, Dr. Jones. Where is Marian Corda?" Reuben said roughly.

"I do not know," said Indiana. "She was with me yesterday, that's right. I insisted that she stayed in my house.”

"Why?" Said Henley.

"Why?" Indiana laughed disparagingly.

Last edited by JuniorJones : 01-04-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #36
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Any comments or corrections welcome.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #37
Stoo
IndyFan

Cracking job, Junior!

One comment: Did Hohlbein actually constantly spell Ms. Ravenwood's name as 'Marian'? It's 'Marion' with an 'o'!
Old 01-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #38
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Quote:
Cracking job, Junior!

One comment: Did Hohlbein actually constantly spell Ms. Ravenwood's name as 'Marian'? It's 'Marion' with an 'o'!

I hope that your joking! If not, I've missed something very obvious!!

The character is Marian Corda. I think I made one mistake and referred to her as Marion (sub-consiously) when I first started.

I'm sure a kindly moderator will fix it.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:55 AM   #39
Stoo
IndyFan

Oops! To be honest, I've only skimmed through yours & punisher5150's translations while pasting them into a Microsoft Word document with the intent of reading them fully at a later date. I automatically assumed the character was Ms. Ravenwood. Silly me.

So Marian it is! Carry on...
Old 01-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #40
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Translation - Part 19

"Why?" Indiana laughed disparagingly.” "You have seen their house, right?"

"And you thought that we were responsible?” added Henley

This remark surprised Indiana at first until he realized that Henley said this to try and win his trust

"I am wrong?" he said with a shrug.

“Has Mrs. Corda said anything about her husband? " asked Reuben with a disparaging huff “You can’t tell me that someone has found a King Midas' treasure and not talked about it.”

"No, " said Indiana. "I..."

Something was had clearly clicked in Indiana's mind, and broke off mid-sentence and stared wide-eyed at Reuben. Suddenly he thought again about the things Marian's had said last night. Suddenly, a realization flashed in his mind. ‘It's all true! What were the Spaniards, but fools!’. And then he knew.

Marcus and he had the solution in their hands all the time. It was all in Stan's papers, so clear that one one needed only to look. He just did not understand why he had not seen it at once.

"What, Jones?" Asked Grisswald, Indiana altered expression was little noticed by the two FBI men.

"Nothing," Indiana replied uncertainly. He tried to smile but even that fell into a grimace. "It’s just ... just something occurred."

"What?" Hooked Reuben.

"Probably nothing important, "murmured Indiana evasively.

"Leave it to us to decided, "said Henley.

"When I ... Marian was in her home yesterday," he said, "we noticed a man."

"A man? What was he doing? What was he like? "

"Just a man," said Indiana. "He was on the other side of the street, and I had the feeling that he was observing the house. He was very tall, sturdy looking, and very muscular. A pretty ugly guy. But as I said – it’s not likely to mean anything. "

The look that Henley then exchanged with his colleague convinced Indiana that it meant something and that the man whom Indiana described was no stranger to them.

"Is that all?" Reuben asked suspiciously.

Indiana nodded. “Yes. I'm sorry I can’t help any further. "

"It would be better for you if you could, "said Reuben feeling his bruised, grazed face with his fingertips and added, “You know, the more I forget about about you, the better you’ll be. "

“I’ll think about it. If I remember, I’ll tell you. ", promised Indiana. He turned to Grisswald. "Can I go now? I still have a lot to do.”

"Sure," replied Grisswald. Indiana was ready to leave, but Henley called him back. "One more thing, Dr. Jones." Indiana moved his head, turned but not quite to him. "Yes?"

"It has nothing to do with this story," said Henley, "But - have you ever heard the term ‘Manhattan Project?’"

Indiana thought for a moment and then said no. "What’s that supposed to be? "

"Has Professor Corda mentioned anything like this?" Henley persevered.
Indiana said no again. "We didn’t speak that much”, he said.

Henley seemed rather relieved than disappointed and made a gesture that he could go.

Indiana left Grisswald’s office walking past the secretary keeping his composure by making sure his steps were measured until he reached the hallway. Once into the hallway, the measured steps quickly became brisk strides, and once he was at a safe distance he began to pick up speed. Indiana rushed through the long corridors of the university, gaining startled looks from colleagues and student alike, but Indiana was too focus to pay attention. He was at such speed he made the distance between the West Wing to the museum in a just few minutes and then, without knocking, stormed into Marcus Brody's tiny office.

Brody’s office was a crammed with books, large crates and boxes of antiquities. Indiana navigated through the clutter until he reach a desk, behind which was Marcus beneath a cloud of blue smoke. He was surprised and was about to say something but stopped as Indiana gasped for breath:-

"What," asked Marcus as he drew the pipe from his mouth.

Indiana was breathing twice as fast and deeply, so he waited until his raging lungs calm down, before he answered. "I think he has found El Dorado.”
Old 01-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #41
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Translation - Part 20

Marcus and Indiana left the university and rushed back to Indiana’s house. They both couldn’t believe that the solution was so obvious. Now that they knew what they were looking for in Corda’s records it would be a virtually inexhaustible source of information.

The idea seemed so fantastic, that Stanley Corda was so convinced the fabled El Dorado existed that he was able to discover it.

"It’s inconceivable,” Marcus muttered over and over again. “He has really found it! It exists, Indiana! And to think we were all convinced that it is only a legend! "

“The Spaniards, felt that it existed" said Indiana. After a few seconds of hesitation he added.” Well, probably, some of them found it...”

"...But did not come back, "Marcus said.

"But they would not be able to tell about it," corrected Indiana with gentle rebuke. "No, no. There must still be more.”

Indiana looked down thoughtfully at the papers he had spread in front of him on the table. They contained many of the answers to the location of the legendary land of gold, except one small thing - the place where it lay.

"Grisswald said something... "he added and thoughtfully continued. "A few of them, that have sold the items to Corda, become ill. Two of them are already dead."

Marcus' face darkened. "Corda brings shame on us all, "he said.”For what he’s done he belongs in prison. He finds El Dorado, a momentous discovery and can think of nothing better to do than to cram the bags! "

"I'm afraid it was not that easy. There's something wrong with this gold " muttered Indiana.

Marcus looked at him in shock for a second, then tried to laugh at him, but he failed completely, “You’ll be telling me that a curse lies on the gold"

Indiana nodded seriously. "Exactly!."

"There is no such thing as a deadly curse," asserted Marcus - although he really should have known better.

“Nevertheless” nodded Indiana. "Your proberly right but perhaps there is an effect that amounts to the same thing."

Indiana thoughtfully placed his index finger on the chin. "I wonder what the F.B.I. man mean’t when he spoke of the Manhattan Project.”

Indiana looked at Marcus and noted that he looked uncomfortable with the question.

"What do you know?"Indiana asked.

"Nothing," replied Marcus, a little bit too hastily for Indiana.

“You know what that is, "noted Indiana. Marcus hemmed and hawed for a while. Finally he nodded.

"There are rumours, "he said. "Yes, I've heard of it. But it’s not for me to tell anyone.”

"Then don’t," advised Indiana. "Tell it to the fireplace or the grandfather clock. I’ll promise not to listen.”

Marcus made a face, reached into his jacket pocket and took out his tobacco pouch and lit his pipe.

"As I said," he began, "There are only rumours. But only alleged, that they have begun the process of constructing a new weapon in Nevada. "

"And," asked Indiana surprised

"A nuclear fission weapon," Marcus said.

Now it was Indiana, who was startled and shocked by his friend and stared in disbelief. "What?"

Brody put his pipe down and took a deep . He coughed a few times before he answered. "Yes, a nuclear bomb. Washington have feared for quite a while, that the Germans are going to construct such a weapon. They have now set everything in motion in order to beat them. They have been tinkering around on this thing for a year. The code name for the pro...”

“The project is –‘Manhattan’," murmured Indiana.

Brody nodded and puffed nervously on his pipe again, enough to make the tobacco glowed bright red.

"But what does this have to do with Stanley, and El Dorado," asked Indiana confused.

Brody shrugged. "No idea," he said.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #42
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Translation - Part 21

Before Indiana could go on talking there was a knock at the door. He rose, gestured to Marcus to disappear leaving with the paper and walked slowly to the door. The knock repeated just before he reached the door, and his time it sounded fast and nervous.

Indiana put the chain on the door before taking a half step aside and he knelt down to look. Outside the house stood Marian with a harried expression on her face. Indiana was quick to stand up to remove the chain and rip open the door. He firmly took Marian into the house with lightning speed, before closing the door again.

"Marian! Where have you been? Have you found Stan? "

She shook her head and looked instinctively at the closed door behind her, so that Indiana added immediately:

"Is someone is chasing you?"

“I'm not sure” she answered hesitantly. Indiana steered Marian gently to the couch and gave Marcus a sign: "Tell it to her," he said. "Everything." Then he hurried back to the door, stepped to the small window and pulled the curtains to form a small crack.

At first he saw nothing, the street was quiet and peaceful, as usual, only being frequented by a passing pedestrian or a single car.

Indiana stood watching at the window for five minutes, while Marcus and Marian behind spoke in muffled voices. Indiana was keen to to shorten his surveillance and joined them but he has spotted a lone car passing the house for a third time. Indiana caught a glance at the two men in the cab, not quick enough to identify them, but at least he saw who they were not, namely, Reuben and Henley, the two FBI men. He watched the car until it past into the horizon and disappeared, then he let the curtain slide back and went back to Marian and Brody.

"You were right," he said, turning to Marian. "Someone's following you. "
Marian was visibly startled, and Indiana raised the calm hand on her shoulder.

"I don’t think they coming here," he said.

"If they were, they would have done it already. It’s seems they are only tailing. Not too smart. "

"The FBI" asked Brody.

"No. They don’t seem that bright, but then again, what do I know. Amateurs, I don’t think we have much to fear from them.”

"Prephaps, one of them was involved in the raid on Stanley's house? " suspected Brody.

Indiana and Marian looked at each, then she looked away. "Marian, you must try to remember," he said forcefully. "You have to remember something. You said Stan had sometimes met with strange people. Has he ever mentioned a name? Or an address? A meeting place.. Anything? "

Marian shook her head almost automatically, but paused and thought for a moment. "I'm not sure," she said finally. "But someone called once. Stan was in the bath and had forgotten to lock the door of his study. He has become quite angry that I even went to the phone. "

"Who called?" asked Indiana.

"I don’t remember exactly," said Marian sadly."A Mr. Rogers or Rutgers or something like that ..." She shrugged her shoulders and looked almost embarrassed at Indiana.

"But he was an antiques dealer, as far as I remember. "

“Antiques dealer?" Indiana furrowed his brow in doubt. He knew every antique shop in the city, both the official dealer and the places that operated with a degree of legality, to say the least. But he had never heard of the name Marian mentioned.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes," replied Marian. "I think I can remember the address. 194th Kensington Drive "

Indiana exchanged a surprised look with Marcus. It surprised him not so much that Marian was so accurate that she could remember the address of the antiques dealer but that its name was Kensington Drive, the most notorious street in the city, the kind of road that you’d better avoid in brightest daylight avoided. It was either suicidal or foolish naivety for anyone to travel there as it was dominated by any number of dangerous street gangs.

"Are you sure?" Indiana quizzed.

Marian nodded. "I've asked Stan what he would be doing in this area, was he lost? But he did not respond. "

Indiana got up. "Well, we must think of the postives, he may have mean't well but it’s certainly worth investigating."

Marcus became a little pale, and took the pipe from his mouth. "You're not going to go there?"

"Not necessarily," said Indiana. "If you have any other options..."

Marcus' face lost even more color. "This is too dangerous," he said nervously.

"I know. But danger is my first and second name. "

"And your third, levity," said Marcus added darkly.

"You're crazy."

"You're telling me?" sighed Indiana.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #43
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Translation - Part 22

In daylight, Kensington Drive appeared perhaps more sinister that it does at night. This was partly because Indiana had never actually been here after dark with the one exception when he was passing through and suffered a puncture. Today it didn’t help that the bright sun was shining down without mercy on the quarter to revel all of the shabbiness and squalor.

Surprisingly, this was not one of the poorest areas of the city as the houses on right and left of the Kensington Drive were just rundown from neglect. This was a place where big Puerto Rican women refused to close their windows and would rather leave them wide open. Men colored in white linen pants and vests stood in doorways eyeing each intruder with suspicion. Grubby children played noisily on the street or ran behind cars. Shady characters with scarred faces hid behind beards looking stressed and then as soon as the policeman walked through all would disappear quickly in the doors.

Indiana was certainly no policeman and, although different, they could all see the beat up Ford driving through the avenue with the man wearing the greasy felt hat.

Outside several houses were automobiles, pretentious and gleaming, probably more expensive than the buildings before they were left to go derelict. Throughout the avenue there was a whole number of dives, gambling houses and small shops with expensive fakes showing in the windows.

Indiana started to slow the car as he turned in the approached for 194th. Although, he was trying hard to appear cool he was nervous and aware that people could see his nervousness,. This was not good. Indiana Jones had enough experience in dealing with shady characters and criminals in order to know that they shared one thing in common with German shepherd dogs. Both felt that one is afraid of them and both are aggressive and dangerous on attack. Indiana had prepared himself but how well was something that he didn’t know.

In his right pocket he had place a small women's revolver, which whilst only effective at short distance it had had the advantage that it could hidden in a closed hand. In the front passenger seat of the Ford was a coiled bullwhip, his trusted aid for so long that had more than once come to his rescue.

Back at the House he had told Marcus to keep an eye on the outside street and to immediately call the police if anything suspicious occurs. He also asked Marcus to do the same if he wasn’t back within two hours.

Finally, he reached the number, drove the car to the curb and turned off the engine. He carefully attached his trusty whip to his belt and hid it under his jacket, as best he could and got out.

He was about to lock the car door but pulled the key away as something as simple as a door lock of a Ford wouldn’t take anyone in this area longer than ten seconds to open and if they were already in his car it wouldn’t be too hard to hotwire.

He then crossed the street, he felt eyes following him. No one spoke to him or stopped him has he headed for the door to a dingy shop.

There were two scary-looking characters whose pointed looks really shone through Indiana and it felt as they could see all the contents of his pockets within seconds.

Anyway, they must have been satisfied that he was no threat and left Indiana unmolested but turned their attention to scrutinize the car. Indiana was safe in the belief that they would not steal the car because it was so old that it was almost exclusively held together by rust and the prayers of its owner.

Before the entering the shop door he stopped and looked through the window at the darkened, dusty enclosed display party obscured by a blind. There was not much to see except a huge plated tray with nothing more than a four-piece imitation gold tea service that was missing the cream jug and handful of false jewellery.

Indiana pushed the latch open and a small bell that was mounted above the door rang as he entered the shop.

Once inside, the shop was cold and dark with low visibility as Indiana could only see shadows within the twilight. The store was tiny with the air smelling of a combination of mold and disinfectant. After a few moments when Indiana's eyes became adjusted to the low light he saw that the shop contained no shelves or displays only the width of a space-reaching counter screened by a metal railing.

He finally understood where he was and why he could not remember antiques dealer named Rogers. He was in a pawnshop.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #44
Stoo
IndyFan

If I had $1 for each time someone said they would love for the German novels by Wolgang Hohlbein to be translated into English, I'd be able to book 2 tickets for commercial space flight with Virgin Galactic.

Where did these people disappear to? These days, no one seems to care. Junior Jones, even though your efforts have now become a thankless job, I for one, appreciate what you're doing (and also what punisher5150 has already done). Thank you both, so very much.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #45
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Quote:
If I had $1 for each time someone said they would love for the German novels by Wolgang Hohlbein to be translated into English, I'd be able to book 2 tickets for commercial space flight with Virgin Galactic.

Where did these people disappear to? These days, no one seems to care. Junior Jones, even though your efforts have now become a thankless job, I for one, appreciate what you're doing (and also what punisher5150 has already done). Thank you both, so very much.

Like yourself, I am more than happy to make a positive contribution to the community and I hope that people can see there is a value in doing so.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:50 AM   #46
Icybro
IndyFan

Quote:

I'm still here! And following Junior's work with great excitement. Between your comic book work, Stoo, and Junior and punisher's work here, these translations are some of the most impressive projects I've seen the fan community pull off. Many thanks to all involved.
Icybro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #47
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icybro
I'm still here! And following Junior's work with great excitement. Between your comic book work, Stoo, and Junior and punisher's work here, these translations are some of the most impressive projects I've seen the fan community pull off. Many thanks to all involved.

Thanks and on that note...
Old 03-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #48
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Translation - Part 23

In the iron grating above the counter opened a tiny flap, and a narrow, pimply distorted red face with eager eyes looked at Indiana.

"Huh? Mr. Rogers? " Indiana artificial cleared his throat, glanced over his
shoulder as if to convince him that no one was following and then stepped up to the counter.

"I am Rogers. What can I do for you? Do you want to buy something or get out" replied Rogers from behind the bars.

"Neither - yet," said Indiana. Again he looked around, and he knew Rogers would see his nervousness. But this was intentional.

"I’m not here as a customer. At least not directly.” he said.

Rogers looked at him quizzically, but with even more suspicion than before so decided to remained silent.

Indiana decided to go all out. "Professor Corda sent me, "he said.

Rogers still remained silent, but his reaction to the Indiana's comments showed on his face that he had hit the mark

"It's about the last delivery," continued Indiana.

"What a delivery? What are you talking about at all, man? I do not know. I have never heard of the Professor Corda." said Rogers.

"Really," asked Indiana. "Then I must have been well-deceived. I'll tell Stanley that he probably got this wrong and gave me an incorrect address. But if you get any trouble from your customers who complain then remember you are not with Stan or me."

Indiana turned on his heel and walked quickly to the door. He had almost reached and began to fear that he had exaggerated a little too much, but as it was Rogers called him back.

"Wait!"

Indiana stopped, turned around slowly and watched as Rogers opened a door in his counter and walked with laborious movements to him. Rogers moved mainly his right leg and held his right arm tight. There was something very uncoordinated about his movement

"What did you mean, trouble with my customers?"

Indiana shrugged his shoulders.

"Nothing. I must have be mistaken. Please excuse the error." He turned back to the door, and Rogers grabbed him by the shoulder and pulled him back. Indiana turned slowly and for one second looking hard at Rogers' hand. The little man with the pale, pimply face pulled his arm back quickly.

“Okay! Okay! One must be careful, right? I do not know. What with the last delivery? "he said.

"Maybe...have you still got them here?”, said Indiana.

“Why?” suspicion flashed through Rogers’ eyes.

"I need to view them," said Indiana. "It may be that one of the pieces is wrong."

"Wrong? Corda has - " Rogers' face darkened with anger.

"I said, it could be," Indiana interrupted him sharply .

"It is possible that you have tricked me. You have cheated”, Rogers said warily. His eyes were even smaller than they were anyway.

"You -I would hardly be here if that was the case," said Indiana quietly. "On the contrary. Stanley was very happy with the deals he has made with you. He may still have more for you. "

"It sounds like our last conversation but something different," Rogers said.

Indiana shrugged his shoulders. "Misunderstandings have occurred
before. To prevent this he has me as insurance. Are the goods are still here?"

Rogers hesitated, Indiana began to worry that he had again overdone it. But then Rodgers nodded. The old man reluctantly made a gesture to Indiana that he should follow him, and shuffled back to his desk.

The room behind the store was much larger but crammed to the ceiling with shelves full of boxes on boxes, radios, jewellery, watches, tools, weapons, musical instruments ... just the usual stuff that accumulates in a pawnshop. Indiana suspected that most of it was stolen anyway.

Rogers led him into an adjoining room, the door secured by a huge lock. It was surprisingly tidy and contained nothing but a small desk, two chairs and an old butvery solid looking safe. Rogers went to the safe and looked expectantly at Indiana, Indiana understood by discreetly turning to the side only turning back when the pawnbroker stopped turning the combination.

Once the clicking of the safe stopped Indiana lean over to take a closer look at the contents of the safe.

Indiana had trouble hiding his surprise when he saw what was in the safe. In addition to all the bundles of cash, securities and certainly more than a hundred golden wrist and pocket watches that were on several velvet trays but more importantly, two dozen of those little golden figurines that he had seen one in Grisswalds office. They represented different things: animals, leaves, branches, Flowers ... Some were just shapeless lumps of gold in different sizes, and two or three figures seemed clearly to involve art. As they were revealed Indiana found it impossible to assigned a specific culture or era to the pieces.the pieces to

"What are they?" asked Rogers and put the trays on the desk.

Indiana came closer and leaned over curiously. Hesitantly, he stretched out his hand to one of the small gold objects. Somehow he had the suddden feeling that it might be best to not touch them. He did not know why he had this idea but it was too much that he could simply ignore.

"Is that all?" He asked as he straightened up again.

"Yes," replied Rogers. "It -"

The sound of the bell above the door interrupted him. Indiana frightened turned around, took a step to the door and stopped again. Outside was a woman's voice calling Indiana. Rogers looked alternately to Indiana, the outside voice and the opened safe. Obviously, the idea of leaving a stranger alone with all his treasures did not pleased him but even before he came to say something, they heard steps approaching, and then the door to his office pushed so quickly that it flew against the wall.

"Marian! What are you doing here?" Indiana said surprised.

"What are you doing here?" Rogers stared at the woman, turned to Indiana and snapped, "What does that mean? Who is this woman?"

"They're after me," Marian said breathlessly. "Marcus attacked and - "

The rest of her words fell beneath the smashing of glass and the noise of breaking wood. Marian took another stumbling step and fell into Indiana’s arms, while Rogers scared cried out, trying to get his pot of gold gathered from the desk to gather and back into the vault. Of course, he did this too hastily with the result that his half of it fell down to the floor.

Indiana registered almost in passing that one of the pieces broke into two parts. He wasted it little more than a passing thought because he had hands full calming Marian. He released her from his grip and she blurted sentences as fast choppy fragments that only he could possibly understand.

"Marcus, FBI and men..." It hardly a second before he understood what had happened: the splintering of wood repeated and almost at that same moment there appeared a gigantic figure under the door to Rogers' Holy of Holies. Indiana was frightened for second time and this time more so because has he recognized the figure.

The face of the figure had indeed dramatically changed but it was undoubtedly the one of the same guys who had broken into Stanley’s yesterday.

The figure seemed almost at the same time recognize Indiana and his closely spaced eyes appeared to sparkle. He took a step towards Indiana, swept Marian with an almost casual motion to the side and stretched out his arms. Indiana waited until the last moment and ducked, grabbed the outstretched arm of the giant, pulled with all his force to turned it around its own axis but half his body weight abruptly shifted forward and this was his undoing as the force made him fly over the bent shoulder and smash into the floor. Indiana blacked out.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #49
Plaristes
IndyFan

I'm also extremely grateful!
Plaristes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:06 AM   #50
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Translation - Part 24

Indiana’s head hurt him so much that he seriously wished, from the very first moment when he woke, he was dead. He was handcuffed and laying on his side on a bare stone or concrete floor in darkness with a pale grey glimmer of light circling above. Even though the light was so weak it made him groan in pain when he tried to opened his eyes.

He quickly closed his eyes and clenched his teeth to suppress a renewed cry of pain. The hammers in the back of his head were gradually subsiding and the pain was no longer unimaginable but only intolerable. To the same extent the pain had subsided he enough for him to began to clearly perceive his surroundings.

He could not see very much as the gray light was too weak but made vague outlines out of the twilight. He heard a low moan and the sound of one or more people that moved in his immediate vicinity. Then a voice whispered his name. A voice he knew very well but the pain in his head was still too violent that he couldn’t hold a clear though.

"He waking.” said another voice, after a few moments he realised it was Marian. "Thank God. I was afraid the giant guy had killed him. "

"Do not worry - he has a hard head. In every respect." This time he could identify the voice and with a surprised jerk he turned around and sat half-up, he regretted this in the same split second because the noise in the back of his head increased to a bombardment of a whole battery of heavy naval guns.

Groaning, he closed his eyes and settled back to fall forward until his forehead touched the gray concrete floor. Only after a few seconds and much more cautious than first ventured he dared to straighten up again and to turn the head into the direction, from which he had heard Marians' and Marcus' voices.

"Marcus?" He asked, surprised. "What are you doing here?"

“The same as you. Being tied up!” Marcus replied calmly.

Even without the pounding pain in his head Indiana was not in the mood to be joking. But he controlled himself and swallowed the angry reply.

"What happened" he pressed.

“I've been foolish, they came when you were just gone." said Marcus.

"These gangsters?" Replied Indiana.

He heard Marcus shook his head. "The two FBI men you told me about. They just had a lot of stupid questions...”

"And," asked Indiana, when Marcus did not continued. Brody hesitated a moment.

"I thought I got rid of them, "he said. “But barely a minute later after they left there was a knock atthe door and thought, they had forgotten something or ... "

"Or?" hooked Indiana.

Marcus said no more, and Indiana fell silent. He could imagine how Brody was feeling. Now, he felt no more anger. Marcus Brody was no hero. He never claimed to be one. Indiana had no reason to doubt whether there was ever anyone in the world who could have refused the giant guy who had beaten him for more than a few seconds .

"I'm sorry, Indiana, but they have forced me to bring them to you. I..they pulled me as we climbed into the car they were too fast. " murmured Marian.

"It’s okay," said Indiana. "All this does not matter."

"It does," Marcus growled. "I could have been wiser and not let them in. You impressed on me not to open the door. But I was a fool - "

"Relax," said Indiana again. "You haven't done any wrong, Marcus. I probably would have not acted any differently in your place.”

Somewhere in the darkness behind Marcus came a chuckle from the darkness. Indiana tried with difficulty to draw his knees and turn to head in the direction of the laughter. It was repeated again a few seconds later and the a shadow in the dusk began to peel. The shadow did not come close enough for Indiana to see but he had a bad feeling about it.

"How noble, Dr. Jones “ said a rasping, unpleasant voice. "If I were in your shoes, I would now like to punish Mr. Brody"

"Who are you?" said Indiana.

The figure laughed, took a few shuffling steps, and Indiana saw that the man hobbled. Although, he was always half hidden in the shadows Indiana could recognize that the man was a cripple, he moved to the right, obviously stiff leg, and his shoulders were at different heights. The right arm was in
an unnatural angle and attitude also seemed useless.

"Who are you?" Indiana asked again.

He got no answer but behind the cripple there was more detail, with two more shadowy outlines in the blackness - one of them was so great that Indiana knew immediately who he faced. And obviously the crippled with the unpleasant voice was their client.

"My name is Ramos" he finally said in his thin, unpleasant voice.

"Interesting," said Indiana. "And who are you?"

Ramos laughed again and took a step toward him.

"A fair question, Dr. Jones," he said. "I think we have not yet had the pleasure. It so much pleased me that you have accepted my invitation. I hope you will excuse the small inconveniences. "

Indiana gave him a dirty look. "Listen, stop with the nonsense and say what you want from us?” he snapped. Ramos cocked his head and looked down at him.

"From you? Nothing. "He shook his head. "But from your adorable friend, Mrs. Corda... "