TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Old 03-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #26
punisher5150
IndyFan

Icybro

Did you get a new link to download the file? Just curious, the original one isn't working.
punisher5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #27
Icybro
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5150
Did you get a new link to download the file? Just curious, the original one isn't working.

Yessir. I posted an updated link earlier, and that one still seems to be working.

I guess it's easy enough to overlook, though, so let's try again:
Download the Labyrinth of Horus PDF here!
Icybro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:51 PM   #28
IndyBr
IndyFan

I've finished reading it a long time ago but I didn't came back to leave feedback, so here it goes:

This is easily one of the best Indy novels I've read so far, it blows Army of the Dead, the Caidin novels and those two young adult books out of the water. The opening of the novel shows us what we can expect from it: it's funny, there's a lot of well written action and we have the old Indy that we know and love.

The plot is also pretty interesting, a little more fantastical (not as much as Interior World of course, more like Indy encountering mytical characters like Merlin and Noah, but outside a dream or vision sequence) than the original movies but it's on par with the other novels and comics.

But I didn't like how the book isn't structured in chapters, but rather in locations... And sometimes those sections can be really long, and when you're tired that really harms your enjoyement of the novel. Specially if you're reading it in a computer (my case, I didn't print it or anything).

But still, very enjoyable and highly recomended, 4 stars.
IndyBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #29
m-3po
IndyFan

Noooo neither of these links work now I've not been on the boards for a few months but I've been waiting for a translation of one of the German books for a long time as they sit gathering dust on my shelves and now that I find there is a complete one its gone by the time I get there.
Any chance of another link or someone e-mailing it to me.
Good work on this by the way - I've tried myself to do similar but only got so far as a couple of pages with the help of google so im well impressed!
m-3po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #30
IndyBr
IndyFan

Well, if Icybro doesn't upload it again, PM me your e-mail and I'll send it to you.
But I don't know if it's too big for e-mails or not, don't remember the size.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:35 AM   #31
Icybro
IndyFan

As requested, here's a new link. Get it while it's hot!

...and don't forget to share your thoughts here once you've read it!
Old 06-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #32
m-3po
IndyFan

Awesome - cheers! Looks like you've done an amazing job! Might take me a while to read I don't do reading a screen so may resort to printing a few pages at a time or somesuch but I shall come back and comment when I have. Thanks so much for the effort that went into this
m-3po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:57 AM   #33
Toht's Arm
IndyFan

Links don't work anymore. Any chance anyone could email me the file? PM me if so. Otherwise, if someone could put it back online that would be much appreciated
Toht's Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #34
Shazam
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toht's Arm
Links don't work anymore. Any chance anyone could email me the file? PM me if so. Otherwise, if someone could put it back online that would be much appreciated

I too would like to read it.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #35
Icybro
IndyFan

Key

Old 09-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #36
Shazam
IndyFan

Awesome! Thanks
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #37
Toht's Arm
IndyFan

Wow. Thanks so much. Marvellous work!
Toht's Arm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #38
whipwarrior
IndyFan

After my initial enthusiasm, I just can't get into the story. I don't know if it's the author's writing style or something lost in the translation process, but it feels like a hollow imitation of an Indy adventure. At risk of sounding nationalistic, I think that writing the character of Indiana Jones requires a uniquely American mindset (and even that's no guarantee considering the Martin Caidin books or Steve Perry's utter abomination). There are definitely some very Indy moments in the story especially during the action sequences, but Indy's dialogue and thought processes don't quite ring true for me. Also, at 45 pages in, I've noted several historical anachronisms that could have been remedied by some careful fact-checking. Hohlbein gets an A for effort, but I just can't commit to this one.
whipwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #39
Icybro
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipwarrior
After my initial enthusiasm, I just can't get into the story. I don't know if it's the author's writing style or something lost in the translation process, but it feels like a hollow imitation of an Indy adventure. At risk of sounding nationalistic, I think that writing the character of Indiana Jones requires a uniquely American mindset (and even that's no guarantee considering the Martin Caidin books or Steve Perry's utter abomination). There are definitely some very Indy moments in the story especially during the action sequences, but Indy's dialogue and thought processes don't quite ring true for me. Also, at 45 pages in, I've noted several historical anachronisms that could have been remedied by some careful fact-checking. Hohlbein gets an A for effort, but I just can't commit to this one.

I agree the tone is slightly off in places, but I'm willing to chalk that up to my translation, for the most part. If you're only 45 pages in, I will say that the story gets better, and ultimately turns into something I at least found worthwhile.

What anachronisms have you found so far? The only one that really bugged me was the mention of the planet Melmac. I was enjoying the book just fine without the suggestion of a potential Indy/ALF crossover, thank you very much, Mr. Hohlbein.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #40
whipwarrior
IndyFan

Aside from the cringe-inducing ALF reference, Hohlbein lists several hotels that Indy visits in search of Basil Smith, citing the Marriott, a brand name not established until 1957, and a Sheraton, which didn't exist outside the U.S. until the 60's. He also mentions that Indy's hat is made of leather, which is as blatantly wrong as Martin Caidin stating that Indy's satchel is leather and that he carries his whip through his belt loop. I know I'm probably splitting hairs now, but details like that tend to pull me out of the story, although I can't fault the author entirely since the Internet as a research tool wasn't available in the early nineties.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #41
IndyBr
IndyFan

ALF reference?!
I don't remember that in the novel. Could you show us?
An Indiana Jones novel doesn't look like the right place to put an ALF reference...
Old 10-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #42
whipwarrior
IndyFan

It's on page 45, when Indy is bargaining with Al-Kassah:

“You can learn nothing, if you prefer,” he hissed and
immediately began to smile again. “Remember, it’s not
just the vase itself that determines the price. Look closely
and see it is filled with the answers to your questions.”
“Even then it isn’t worth a hundred dollars.” Indiana
considered briefly. “I’ll offer you ten.”
“Ten?” Al-Kassah replied in a tone as if he had just
learned that he was an alien born on the planet Melmac,
abandoned here on earth as a baby. But his voice betrayed
that he was merely in the middle of an Arab trading ritual.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #43
IndyBr
IndyFan

Heck.
Didn't remember that, thanks for posting it.
The real problem is that the reference is anachronic. Even if it's a third person narrative, it really takes you away from the novel in that small moment.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #44
cool indy
IndyFan

The download link does not work anymore. Can you just post a new link where anybody can download the pdf anytime they want to? Thanks. It's been a long time since I returned.
cool indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #45
Indyfan82
IndyFan

Quote:
It's on page 45, when Indy is bargaining with Al-Kassah:

“You can learn nothing, if you prefer,” he hissed and
immediately began to smile again. “Remember, it’s not
just the vase itself that determines the price. Look closely
and see it is filled with the answers to your questions.”
“Even then it isn’t worth a hundred dollars.” Indiana
considered briefly. “I’ll offer you ten.”
“Ten?” Al-Kassah replied in a tone as if he had just
learned that he was an alien born on the planet Melmac,
abandoned here on earth as a baby. But his voice betrayed
that he was merely in the middle of an Arab trading ritual.

Haha! That's awesome! Love it!
(I'm a long time big fan of ALF, so I'd totally be fine with an Indiana Jones and ALF crossover.)
For this reference though, I really don't think it's a big deal. ALF seems to be pretty popular in Germany, so it's not too surprising- the reference works as a meta-reference; for the characters in the timeline of the Indiana Jones book, it's just a made-up planet and for the readers in the present, it's a cool reference to ALF. I don't think it takes anything away from the book- I just think it's funny and cool.
Indyfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #46
Howlrunner
IndyFan

Link doesn't work any more. Anyone else got the PDF please?
Howlrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #47
punisher5150
IndyFan

Labyrinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlrunner
Link doesn't work any more. Anyone else got the PDF please?

If you haven't gotten a copy, PM me your email address. I will try and send it. It's 2.66 MB, so let me know if I need to break it into separate emails.
punisher5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:29 PM   #48
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

This sounds cool, but is the file still available? Would love to check it out.

lancequazar@hotmail.com
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:21 AM   #49
youngindygirl
IndyFan

I am sorry to beg in my first post, but the links are all dead and I could only find the book in dutch. Any help would be much appreciated.

If you need an email it's kiscinca85(at)yahoo.com.
youngindygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:43 PM   #50
drmc
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5150
If you haven't gotten a copy, PM me your email address. I will try and send it. It's 2.66 MB, so let me know if I need to break it into separate emails.

I would also like a copy of the translation. I can't seem to PM you though, or anyone for that matter? I.d also rather not post my email to a public forum - any chance anyone with a copy could post a new link. Or could someone tell me how to PM someone. I click open the user and click on send a private message but the page faults out on me every time.
drmc is offline   Reply With Quote