TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 07-20-2016, 12:53 PM   #26
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Flagg
Abner Ravenwood has a great name for a title. "Abner Ravenwood And The Lost City," or something like that, has a nice ring to it. It's certainly better than "Mutt And The Lost City."

Abner Ravenwood and the Snows of Oblivion.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:08 PM   #27
Pale Horse

Abby versus Belly: The untold story of how Belloq undermined the Ravenwoods.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:48 PM   #28
Randy_Flagg
IndyFan

"The Adventures of Shorty & Mutt" has a nice ring to it.

"The Young Mola Ram Chronicles" could also be interesting.
Randy_Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:44 PM   #29
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
Abby versus Belly: The untold story of how Belloq undermined the Ravenwoods.

Well, they are all old friends.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:25 PM   #30
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor

My cheeky reply was merely a ruse to cover-up the fact that we've been down this road before.

I hate extended universes, especially as a ploy to create content, but honestly if you're going to have one, character studies make the best kind.

But no one's mentioned my abs or bellies. Hmmmm.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:06 PM   #31
Attila the Professor

Quote:
My cheeky reply was merely a ruse to cover-up the fact that we've been down this road before.

You may be more right than you recall.

Quote:
I hate extended universes, especially as a ploy to create content, but honestly if you're going to have one, character studies make the best kind.

Indy's buddies down the hall have the glimmer of a good idea, if they stick with the genre study thing, but that's only followed in fits and starts at Marvel's haunts across the lot. (Speaking metaphorically; I don't care where their offices are.)

Indy spinoffs would only work if they basically ignored his existence, and were stand alone stories about whichever characters offer some potential. I'll port over some stuff we mentioned in April below.

An Indiana Jones-style world could be rendered on television, but you need an HBO budget, along the lines of the multinational filming approach that Game of Thrones employs. Multiple sets of characters, in a season or seasons-long quest, is a viable storytelling option, but trying something like that on an Agents of SHIELD budget can't produce the scope and sweep that a grand adventure narrative demands.

Quote:
But no one's mentioned my abs or bellies. Hmmmm.

More time at the gym, maybe?

Quote:
Now there's an origin story I'd love to see. Indiana Jones: The Forrestal Years...

Why not, Disney's spun Rogue One off, now.

Quote:
He can be third in line, after Belloq and...heck, I wanted to put in a joke here, but I'd actually watch something about Sapito and Barranca.

Musings of an Unnamed Bureaucrat?

One conceivable test of best Indy movie might be how many of the characters you'd be willing to see spun off into something larger, even if it's just an hour of tv or a short story. I think Raiders obviously wins by that metric, give or take a story of Pankot Palace intrigue, or a prime-time industrial tycoon soap about Walter Donovan. (Thread spin-off time?)

Quote:
Panama Hat and Kazim (Brotherhood of the Cruciform Sword) would be compelling too.

Quote:
Yep. Spalko. Mac. Pre-Indy Shanghai is absolutely a series too: Willie, Lao, Wu Han, Shorty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
I think the Adventures of Fedora would make an interesting spin-off. Given he was the proto-Indy in almost every single way, he is the most compelling character to me. It's also a great way to have Indy-in-all-but-name adventuring around in a time period which Indy himself couldn't - the late 19th century and early 20th. If done right, could become Disney's (better) version of Alan Quartermain. Have his adventures set between the 1880s and 1912, an interesting period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGreenSlugg
Anyone done a Lao Che spin-off in fan fiction?

I'd like to see how Lao fared in the Empire of the Sun Japanese invasion period.

Maybe Indy returned to China during WWII?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaner
There was a lot of tension in Shanghai following the Japanese invasion. I figure Lao Che would have been one of the Chinese businessmen who was loyal to the Japanese which would have made him the target of Chinese resistance groups.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:59 PM   #32
Pale Horse

There's an interesting quote in this article that I think lends weight to the expanded universe.

Quote:
“Kiri [Hart] and her group have mapped out a story and timeline across multiple platforms many years in advance, many exhausting years in advance. … We have a great honor to have responsibility for, so we want to be really careful with that. Not only for Star Wars but with Indiana Jones, which we’re all really excited about as well.” - ILM President Lynwen Brennan
Old 08-01-2016, 04:44 PM   #33
WilliamBoyd8
IndyFan

Interesting

WilliamBoyd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:33 PM   #34
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Quote:
There's an interesting quote in this article that I think lends weight to the expanded universe.

That quote's been around for a while
Dr.Sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:25 PM   #35
Moedred
Administrator

Here's an hour-long interview with Dave Filoni. Not sure if he's an official member, but pretty close to it. Nothing about Indy, but he talks about reading/watching the classics instead of immersing one's self in canon, as recommended by Lucas.

Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:23 PM   #36
Moedred
Administrator

Another peek inside...
Quote:
Part of what makes Lucasfilm’s new system work is that Kennedy has set up a formidable support structure for her filmmakers. Upon her arrival, she put together a story department at Lucasfilm’s San Francisco headquarters, overseen by Kiri Hart, a development executive and former screenwriter she has long worked with. The story group, which numbers 11 people, maintains the narrative continuity and integrity of all the Star Wars properties that exist across various platforms: animation, video games, novels, comic books, and, most important, movies. “The whole team reads each draft of the screenplay as it evolves,” Hart explained to me, “and we try, as much as we can, to smooth out anything that isn’t connecting.”

What the story group does not do, Hart said, is impose plot-point mandates on the filmmakers. Johnson told me he was surprised at how much leeway he was given to cook up the action of Episode VIII from scratch. “The pre-set was Episode VII, and that was kind of it,” he said. If anything, Johnson wanted more give-and-take with the Lucasfilm team, so he moved up to San Francisco for about six weeks during his writing process, taking an office two doors down from Hart’s and meeting with the full group twice a week.
...from Vanity Fair's Episode 8 / Star Wars at 40 story.

Where Mark Hamill also describes snogging Carrie Fisher.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:36 AM   #37
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity Fair
Part of what makes Lucasfilm’s new system work is that Kennedy has set up a formidable support structure for her filmmakers. Upon her arrival, she put together a story department at Lucasfilm’s San Francisco headquarters, overseen by Kiri Hart, a development executive and former screenwriter she has long worked with. The story group, which numbers 11 people, maintains the narrative continuity and integrity of all the Star Wars properties that exist across various platforms: animation, video games, novels, comic books, and, most important, movies. “The whole team reads each draft of the screenplay as it evolves,” Hart explained to me, “and we try, as much as we can, to smooth out anything that isn’t connecting.”
They sure did a lousy job with the stories in both of the new movies but "Rogue One" is a major foul-up. Eleven people in the 'story group' and its script still got approved? The number of things that don't match with the original film is enormous and unforgivable.

Without George, the new Lucasfilm doesn't give me any hope regarding ANY future "Star Wars" or Indiana Jones movies, at all. They clearly have no clue as to what they're doing.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:57 AM   #38
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
They sure did a lousy job with the stories in both of the new movies but "Rogue One" is a major foul-up. Eleven people in the 'story group' and its script still got approved? The number of things that don't match with the original film is enormous and unforgivable.

Without George, the new Lucasfilm doesn't give me any hope regarding ANY future "Star Wars" or Indiana Jones movies, at all. They clearly have no clue as to what they're doing.

Ha! The Force Awakens and Rogue One were unanimously loved. The approval ratings for those films by both audience and critics are through the roof.
Face_Palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #39
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Palm
Ha! The Force Awakens and Rogue One were unanimously loved. The approval ratings for those films by both audience and critics are through the roof.
Unanimous? No. I've heard & read swathes of comments from plenty of people with the same complaints as mine. Folks who approve of the 2 new movies must be either 'fair-weather fans' or they just don't care about the problems.

John Knoll* co-wrote "Rogue One" and it was so disappointing to see such sh!t from someone whom I really admire. It's unbelievable how badly the story & other details are screwed up. I'd list its continuity mistakes in the appropriate thread...but it would be a lo-o-o-o-ng post.

*Co-creator of Adobe Photoshop and ILM Visual Effects Supervisor
Old 06-02-2017, 10:35 AM   #40
JasonMa
IndyFan

Quote:
Folks who approve of the 2 new movies must be either 'fair-weather fans' or they just don't care about the problems.
Or they could, you know, just disagree with you.
JasonMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #41
Stoo
IndyFan

Hi, Jason. With all due respect, a person shouldn't/can't disagree with blatant contradictions to what was established 40 years + 1 week ago.

Many of the problems in "Rogue One" cannot be refuted (even with the most convoluted explanations someone could think of). The 'Lucasfilm Story Group' who green-lighted that movie weren't qualified for the task because the story completely ignores key dialogue from the original film.

Hopefully, they'll restructure the group by the time Indy 5 rolls around.

Last edited by Stoo : 06-02-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:17 PM   #42
Stoo
IndyFan

Double post. (There's too much on my mind. )

Wanted to add that some fans, even the smartest of them, might be simply oblivious to the problems because they're not thinking and too impressed by the images onscreen. Case in point: My own Star Wars buddy ever since the '70s. An extremely intelligent guy who actually LIKED "Rogue One" until I explained to him what was wrong with it...then he realized how crappy the story was because it doesn't connect.

The 'story group' for "Rogue One" was too concerned with little, nostalgic nods & winks to the general audience that it failed to correspond with the original source material.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:34 PM   #43
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Unanimous? No. I've heard & read swathes of comments from plenty of people with the same complaints as mine. Folks who approve of the 2 new movies must be either 'fair-weather fans' or they just don't care about the problems.

John Knoll* co-wrote "Rogue One" and it was so disappointing to see such sh!t from someone whom I really admire. It's unbelievable how badly the story & other details are screwed up. I'd list its continuity mistakes in the appropriate thread...but it would be a lo-o-o-o-ng post.

*Co-creator of Adobe Photoshop and ILM Visual Effects Supervisor

The Force Awakens: Critic approval = 92%, Audience approval = 89%
Rogue One: Critic Approval = 85%, Audience approval = 89%

That's what the industry would call "universal acclaim". The vast vast majority of people enjoyed the films and think they were great. A small small minority of people think otherwise.
And yes, the films should be geared towards keeping the majority of people happy - not a minority.

They did an amazing job. If they do to Indy when they did to Star Wars - we are in for a real treat.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:04 PM   #44
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
The Force Awakens: Critic approval = 92%, Audience approval = 89%
Rogue One: Critic Approval = 85%, Audience approval = 89%
"Unanimous" means 100%, right?

From my own, personal experience:
15% - Approval from 1st Generation SW Fans: "Force Awakens"
02% - Approval from 1st Generation SW Fans: "Rogue One"

Quote:
If they do to Indy when they did to Star Wars - we are in for a real treat.
If the 'Lucasfilm Story Group' does to Indy what they did to "Star Wars", then we are in a for a real travesty.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:20 PM   #45
JasonMa
IndyFan

Quote:
Many of the problems in "Rogue One" cannot be refuted (even with the most convoluted explanations someone could think of). The 'Lucasfilm Story Group' who green-lighted that movie weren't qualified for the task because the story completely ignores key dialogue from the original film.
I think you're far too concerned about continuity in a series that has already shot itself in the foot 5 or 6 times on that issue before either TFA or RO came out. The prequels and Clone Wars have continuity errors running rampant through them but, whatever, you can still make good movies even with that (not that they managed it with the prequels).
JasonMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:31 PM   #46
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
"Unanimous" means 100%, right?

From my own, personal experience:
15% - Approval from 1st Generation SW Fans: "Force Awakens"
02% - Approval from 1st Generation SW Fans: "Rogue One"

If the 'Lucasfilm Story Group' does to Indy what they did to "Star Wars", then we are in a for a real travesty.

I never said unanimous. I said majority. They should appeal to the majority - which they did and satisfied.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:22 PM   #47
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMa
I think you're far too concerned about continuity in a series that has already shot itself in the foot 5 or 6 times on that issue before either TFA or RO came out. The prequels and Clone Wars have continuity errors running rampant through them but, whatever, you can still make good movies even with that (not that they managed it with the prequels).
I'm more concerned with a story which is supposed to lead directly into an iconic film. In this "Vanity Fair" interview, Kiri Hart states that the 'story group' tries to connect stuff...so it makes me wonder if any of them actually paid attention to the dialogue of the original film. Even the director has talked about how they strung together "things we'd like to see". Well, they sure did...without any logic.

What's really irksome is the attitude of 'Lucas-is-gone-now-things-will-be-done-right' from the typical Joe Schmoe. On its own, "Rogue One" is a mediocre sci-fi movie which made tonne$ of ca$h...however, it's NOT a good SW chapter.

Do you really want this 'story group' overseeing Indiana Jones?

#3: Why is Abner learning about Tanis from Indy's little, kid friend?
#1: What? Who?
#3: That Japanese kid from Temple of Doom.
#2: Wasn't he Korean?
#1: How should I know? Who cares, anyway? He's a fun connection for fans.
#2: Abner could've learned about the Ark from the Flying Wing pilot.
#3: Who?!? What?!?
#2: From IJ & The Raiders of the Lost Ark. He could've met Abner when he was younger.
#1: Nobody remembers that guy. Let's stick with the Asian kid. Marketing insists.
#2: It should be the Indian kid.
#3: Who? What?
#1: Yes! That Indian kid from the 1st movie!
#2: Wasn't that the 2nd movie?
#3: 1st movie. The 2nd takes place later in the '40s or something.
#1: The latest script draught has the Indian kid as a girl.
#2: Great idea! No objections. Let's go ahead with it.
...and so on.

Quote:
I never said unanimous.
Be real, Face Palm. A few hours ago in this very thread, you wrote:

"Ha! The Force Awakens and Rogue One were unanimously loved."
Old 06-02-2017, 09:29 PM   #48
IndyForever
IndyFan

Spielberg will not work with the story group on Indy 5 that's pretty much a given as he likes absolute secrecy! And thank heavens for that Rogue One was marginally better than TFA but both movies were still very poor overall due to weak storylines & poorly written characters.

I would rather they cancelled Indy 5 than try to force the Disney agenda on the Ford franchise!!!
IndyForever is offline   Reply With Quote