Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > General Indiana Jones Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-02-2015, 03:47 PM   #51
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMa
My mother-in-law, until she passed earlier this year, worked at Walt Disney World for the last 10 years. So our trips to Walt Disney World are actually "visiting her parents" trips. My wife was at Disneyland for the first time in almost 9 years in July.

We're heading to Seattle later this month to see my family and we're working on a trip to Hawaii next year. London probably the year after that.
Thanks for the explanation, Jason (but sorry to hear about your mother-in-law). The reason for asking was because, in the past, some members expressed a wish to travel to Egypt & whatnot, yet kept $pending their ca$h by going to 'Di$neyland' on a regular basis. It's good to see the world instead of a fake version. Hope you & your wife make it to London!

Speaking of Hawaii...somewhere in the bar is a dinosaur tooth given to Jock by the "Jurassic Park"* character, John Hammond, for flying him to Hawaii.

*The Spielberg connection & the owning of ILM are the only excuses for this non-Disney nonsense.

---
Ironically enough, my girlfriend happens to be at Walt Disney World RIGHT NOW (for a 3-day conference, though, not for pleasure). It's her 1st time at the Florida park and she's staying at the Animal Kingdom Hotel, with a savannah of giraffes & zebras right outside of her room windows.

Unfortunately, I couldn't go this week! She's not an Indy fan so I had to clarify why a visit to the Hangar Bar was mandatory. She'll try to get over to Jock's for the sole purpose of buying me a 'Cool Headed Monkey' mug/glass/cup. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by Stoo : 11-02-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:56 PM   #52
JasonMa
IndyFan

Nice!

Funny that you mentioned Jurassic Park. The reason for the Hawaii trip (well, like you need a reason to go to Hawaii) is my nephew's first birthday luau. My brother-in-law is Hawaiian and its a big thing in that culture to have a luau for a child's fist birthday. He grew up on Oahu until high school when his mom moved to Seattle. When he was younger his Dad worked on the ranch on Oahu where they filmed parts of Jurassic Park and he saw them filming it Specifically the Galimimus stampede (The "They're um...they're flocking this way!" scene with Grant and the kids).
JasonMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #53
micsteam
IndyFan

Cool stuff everybody !! Yes Saboteur, no German mechanic is going to drink a Shandy !! Lol !! Well I finally got to Jock's a few weeks ago but it was late at night, sucks because I can't upload pics directly from my laptop.. sorry guys ! It was good but to be honest it could've been anyone's bar, it was really good .. excellent fittings and memorabilia, but did not feel Indyesque. I'm going back in early December hopefully I'll have a chance to go back in and see it with a more live environment but I will tell you this the drinks were good and STIFF !! Whoa !!
micsteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:17 PM   #54
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
That's one. The nod to the late Mr. Hughes is far too general to be tied to the movie in question. You'd suspect that Jock would know Howard as a fellow hotshot pilot. Now if they had the plans to the X-1(?) lying about that'd be something to crow about. In fact, I suspect there might be more 'layering' from The Rocketeer than the Indy exploits.
Does this mean that I get only 50¢ instead of $1? Seriously, though, you might as well spill the 2nd "Rocketeer" reference because nobody else is having a go at it.

JasonMa,
The luau sounds like a lot of fun and I hope you have a great time. Jealous!

micsteeeeeeeeeeam!
Congrats on being the 1st Ravenhead at Jock's!!! Too bad that I couldn't go this past week because we could've met up there. Nice to hear that the drinks are loaded and wouldn't have expected that. Times have certainly changed.

----
My dear darling made the effort to visit the bar just for me (by taxi because it was so far from her Animal Kingdom hotel) and got a COOL HEADED MONKEY mug!!! WooHoo! What a gal, eh?
Old 11-08-2015, 11:13 PM   #55
JasonMa
IndyFan

So does the Cool Headed Monkey mug look as good in person as the artist rendition on the menu?
Old 11-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #56
Stoo
IndyFan

I won't see it in person for another week but she sent a quick photo. To me, it looks better in the illustration.

Apparently, the drink was good. When I finally have it my hands I'm going to fill it with either a strawberry daiquiri or rum & raspberry JELL-O for a nice, chilled monkey brain experience.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:44 PM   #57
micsteam
IndyFan

Hey Stoo, I got Shorty's Singapore Sling and a Air Pirate's Mule .. whew !! I did buy a mug from one of the drinks and it's a monkey head but not the " Cool Headed Monkey " mug your girl picked up for you. As I said it was late, which was nice so you had room to move around, but it was winding up and maybe 4 or 5 people still in there. I did take pics but I'm trying to figure the best way to post up pics without having to put a link. Anyway it was enjoyable. Also I went to Trader Sam's Grog Grotto in May for Star Wars Weekends and it was a lot of fun, I had the Uh-Oa! and the Shrunken Zombie Head and bought both mugs/urns and that was a lot of fun but I suspect the original in DL is more my gist as the Grotto has a more 60's psychedelic theme.
micsteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:08 AM   #58
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Nice joint -- but on a night (Thanksgiving eve) of high volume in Disney Springs, Jock's was only 70 or so percent full. Only had a glass of wine so I can't comment on themed drinks but the food was decent.
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:30 PM   #59
JasonMa
IndyFan

Looks like Jock's has new souvenir glasses:
http://blog.touringplans.com/tag/joc...ys-hangar-bar/

Also a fun write-up interpreting the flight logs that make up the menu. I also noticed when I was there that the Raiders flight can be found in the menu flight log.
http://www.mainstgazette.com/2016/03...-fuselage.html

I'll be back in September, hope to get one of those Hovito Mojito glasses and some of the updated coasters.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:44 PM   #60
Pale Horse

Dartholes in the Fuselage is playing at Coachella again this year. Great band.

But seriously, that's detail, well done.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:02 PM   #61
JasonMa
IndyFan

So there appear to be (at least so far) 8 different coasters that are used at Jock's.

6 of them are bars from Indy:
The Raven - Raiders
Club Obi-Wan - Temple
Atomic Cafe - Skull
Cafe Noir - Young Indy and the Attack of the Hawkmen
Le Lapin Agile - Young Indy, Paris Sept. 1908
The Dark Horse Tavern - Indiana Jones & the Philosophers Stone

One I believe is an inside joke about Reggie:
La Cantina De Piton/The Python Bar (since Reggie is a boa constrictor but the snake used in the movie was actually a Burmese python)

One is a Rocketeer reference:
The South Seas Club

BTW I have extras of the Club Obi-Wan, Le Lapin Agile, and Python Bar coasters for trade if anyone is interested. I'll be back in Florida to visit my father-in-law in October and plan to load up on whatever coasters they may have at that point.

(Updated after I figured out what the Dark Horse is a reference to)

Last edited by JasonMa : 06-04-2016 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:29 AM   #62
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
(Updated after I figured out what the Dark Horse is a reference to)

The obvious reference would be to Dark Horse Comics, the outfit that published almost all of Dr. Jones' outings in that particular medium. There are a couple of places in the real world with similar names, but nothing that sticks out as being particularly Indy-related.

I'd be interested in The Python Bar coasters, but I don't have anything to trade. Buy yes, trade no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
I won't see it in person for another week but she sent a quick photo. To me, it looks better in the illustration.

It doesn't help that Disney chose an African design. Despite being thematically incorrect, African monkeys are generally terrible. Well, except for the black-and-white colobus monkeys. The Zanzibar red-and-white colobus monkeys are cool too, but these are quite rare.

I would have gone with an Indian or Asian design based on the... red shanked douc, purple faced langur, or golden langur. Maybe even a mashup of all three!
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:24 PM   #63
JasonMa
IndyFan

Quote:
The obvious reference would be to Dark Horse Comics, the outfit that published almost all of Dr. Jones' outings in that particular medium. There are a couple of places in the real world with similar names, but nothing that sticks out as being particularly Indy-related.

I'd be interested in The Python Bar coasters, but I don't have anything to trade. Buy yes, trade no.
I thought that as well, but given that Disney took the Star Wars license back from Dark Horse once they acquired Lucasfilm so that they could publish through Marvel (which they own) my bet is that they wouldn't be promoting Dark Horse comics. So the Dark Horse bar from the novel seems like the most likely answer.

Let me see how I make out at the end of the summer filling in my collection. If I don't need extras to trade I'll be happy to send you a few of my duplicates. And for significantly less than the $10 per coaster people are tying to get on eBay
Old 06-09-2016, 10:22 PM   #64
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Quote:

It doesn't help that Disney chose an African design. Despite being thematically incorrect, African monkeys are generally terrible. Well, except for the black-and-white colobus monkeys. The Zanzibar red-and-white colobus monkeys are cool too, but these are quite rare.

I would have gone with an Indian or Asian design based on the... red shanked douc, purple faced langur, or golden langur. Maybe even a mashup of all three!

I wouldn't have gone with any of those, none would be native to the region of India which Indy visited in Temple of Doom. Looks kind of like a Gray Langur but certainly not zoologically correct. All of these monkeys are of course inferior to the White Faced Capuchin, New World monkeys are superior, what with their prehensile tales. Dusky leaf monkeys are cool though as far as Old World monkeys go.
dr.jones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:52 AM   #65
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
I thought that as well, but given that Disney took the Star Wars license back from Dark Horse once they acquired Lucasfilm so that they could publish through Marvel (which they own) my bet is that they wouldn't be promoting Dark Horse comics. So the Dark Horse bar from the novel seems like the most likely answer.

Disney... owns Marvel?! Do tell more.

Question: Why even reference Dark Horse at all? The casual audience won't get it at all, and anybody with a grasp of Indiana Jones' history in other mediums will be aware of Dark Horse's contribution to keeping Dr. Jones in the public eye. Disney need not promote Dark Horse, but the connection is there to see. Choosing another bar name would have been the wiser option if they were concerned about schilling for a different comix publisher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.jones1986
All of these monkeys are of course inferior to the White Faced Capuchin

Now you're just taking the piss.

Otherwise, having seen golden langurs in Assam State & Nagaland on more than one occasion I would have to argue they are definitely native to the region Dr. Jones would have actually crashed in.* None of those monkeys were chosen for region specificity, though. They were chosen strictly for color. The mug is painfully dull and deserves better.

* - There's nothing geographically consistent about Temple of Doom anyway.

This is neither here nor there, but somebody should really create a drink called the Indian Head Waggle.

Last edited by Le Saboteur : 06-10-2016 at 01:57 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:32 AM   #66
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Its a fictional film that wasn't even filmed in India but most sources place it much closer to Delhi in northern India, like Uttar Pradesh, not the extreme east of India where Golden Langurs would be found. Regardless they probably made it look that way because if they looked more like the film people woudn't want to drink out of them.

The mug Disney created looks almost as much a part of the "Enchanted Tiki Room" as it does African.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #67
JasonMa
IndyFan

Quote:
Disney... owns Marvel?! Do tell more.

Question: Why even reference Dark Horse at all? The casual audience won't get it at all, and anybody with a grasp of Indiana Jones' history in other mediums will be aware of Dark Horse's contribution to keeping Dr. Jones in the public eye. Disney need not promote Dark Horse, but the connection is there to see. Choosing another bar name would have been the wiser option if they were concerned about schilling for a different comix publisher.
It could also be one of those cases where the Imagineers were trying to slip something past corporate/the suits. They wanted to acknowledge the comics but knew that if they did it explicitly somebody would veto it. So they found a way that references a bar in Indy works but also relates the the comics. It would hardly be the first time the Imagineers did something like that.

And if we're voting on monkeys I like the black-and-white colobus monkeys personally.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:47 AM   #68
JasonMa
IndyFan

The reason I was looking for the coaster info is because these two pin sets were released recently. Limited edition 200 for each of them. They are (obviously) pin versions of the coasters from the bar.

Interesting note on that second set. The South Seas coaster is a Rocketeer reference. The coaster says (correctly) South Seas. The pin says, mistakenly. South Sea.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:51 AM   #69
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
The reason I was looking for the coaster info is because these two pin sets were released recently. Limited edition 200 for each of them...

Because you want to buy them? Standard admonishment: Buy them because you like them, not because you think they'll be worth money. Personally, I don't find them that appealing. A set of postcards or a set of coasters you can buy would be more useful.

Quote:
Interesting note on that second set. The South Seas coaster is a Rocketeer reference. The coaster says (correctly) South Seas. The pin says, mistakenly. South Sea.

That's an interesting mistake to make for the flick's 25th Anniversary this year!
Old 06-16-2016, 09:49 AM   #70
JasonMa
IndyFan

Quote:
Because you want to buy them? Standard admonishment: Buy them because you like them, not because you think they'll be worth money. Personally, I don't find them that appealing. A set of postcards or a set of coasters you can buy would be more useful.
Because I already bought them. I just thought others would be interested. I don't care if they go up or down in value.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:31 PM   #71
Moedred
Administrator

This says "there will be sixteen total coasters," this says "expect 12-15 different designs." Either way, more coming!

Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:58 PM   #72
Attila the Professor

I'm pulling for some kind of zeppelin bar coaster, then, which I recall thinking would be the only option for a Last Crusade-inspired fan forum, after our example and that of the gear heads.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:59 PM   #73
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
I'm pulling for some kind of zeppelin bar coaster, then, which I recall thinking would be the only option for a Last Crusade-inspired fan forum, after our example and that of the gear heads.

I was thinking the same, something for the zeppelin scene would make sense being as "The Last Crusade" is the only film not currently represented by one of these coasters. I also think the bar Indy and Belloq visit in Cairo would make for another nice addition. They could also create one for Arnie's Diner from KotCS.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:38 PM   #74
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.jones1986
I was thinking the same, something for the zeppelin scene would make sense being as "The Last Crusade" is the only film not currently represented by one of these coasters. I also think the bar Indy and Belloq visit in Cairo would make for another nice addition. They could also create one for Arnie's Diner from KotCS.

There's also, for Last Crusade, the option of the cafe in Venice, but Europe is pretty well-represented in these so far, and the zeppelin would have the advantage of being in keeping with the aviation theme.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:41 AM   #75
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Because I already bought them. I just thought others would be interested. I don't care if they go up or down in value.

This is the only pin 'set' I own. I have a few others collected over the years, but nothing specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
...which I recall thinking would be the only option for a Last Crusade-inspired fan forum, after our example and that of the gear heads.

While Zepp's Zippy Zephyr could be fun -- and in keeping with the aviation theme -- I prefer the indirect route; i.e., The Python Bar. You could give a nod to The Last Crusade with... Hank's Hookah Hut, Republic of Hatay. Fayeed's Falling Fez, Republic of Hatay. You get the idea. The Cataract Bar, Egypt.

Personally, I want to see the... Prop Wash-room, Barranca, South America. Or any of the countries along the Andean range.