TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 10-02-2017, 10:49 PM   #326
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyFan89
Hell, I'm 28 years old and in worse shape than Ford.
Unless you have some kind of medical condition, sounds like you need to revise your diet and exercise plans.

And by this, I'm not suggesting that Ford is in bad shape - on the contrary, he seems to be in an exceptionally good (physical) shape for his age. But no person in their 20s should be in worse than he is, at least if the cause is simple lifestyle choices.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:15 PM   #327
Gear
IndyFan

^ Yeah, seriously dude. Not to be unkind, but I hope you are being hyperbolic, IndyFan89.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
Here's a not so subtle fan, Eric. I guess I used to dress like this at 15.

Cool video, but it always sucks seeing your favorite personalities posing that damned 'Illuminati all-seeing eye'. Symbols have different meanings in different contexts, but with the context of Hollyweird and MSM, it's just creepy and disappointing.

In the context of this post, I can already imagine the Alex Jones health suppliment jokes to be made.
Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #328
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
Unless you have some kind of medical condition, sounds like you need to revise your diet and exercise plans.

And by this, I'm not suggesting that Ford is in bad shape - on the contrary, he seems to be in an exceptionally good (physical) shape for his age. But no person in their 20s should be in worse than he is, at least if the cause is simple lifestyle choices.

Iím in great shape (age 26, male) and I have no doubt that Ford could kick my ass.
Face_Palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:37 PM   #329
Pale Horse

Quote:
...but I hope you have more you can base that diagnosis on than a 90-second YouTube clip.

Indeed. We've not discussed it here, but there is family history there too.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:09 PM   #330
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
Indeed. We've not discussed it here, but there is family history there too.

His father was healthy and died from natural causes at age 92.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:13 PM   #331
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Palm
I’m in great shape (age 26, male) and I have no doubt that Ford could kick my ass.
And I think I could kick Ford's irregardless of whether I'm in better or worse shape than him. Because I've got something Mr. Ford lacks - military training.

Addendum: In the name of honesty, I know very little past the basics and hold no delusions - pretty much anyone with more training and/or experience would wipe the floor with me. But me vs. a 75-year-old man whose experience consists entirely of Hollywood playacting? Yeah, I'd like my odds in that bout.

You chose a pretty poor argument, because one's physical condition is rarely a decisive factor in a fight. Knowing how to fight better than your opponent matters far more.

Here's a question - If you had to run away from Mr. Ford, do you think you could outrun him? If the answer is "no", I don't think you're in as great a shape as you boast.

Addendum 2: I'm fairly certain I could do this too, and it's also my preferred method of displaying physical superiority in pretty much every situation that looks like it could come to blows. I've little desire to "kick asses" unless cornered with no other options.

Last edited by Finn : 10-04-2017 at 04:12 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:21 AM   #332
curmudgeon
IndyFan

Maybe it just comes down to how you think about Indy.

Seeing as much of the series' entertainment value to me stems from Indy's near-misses and recurring inability to do exactly as he intended, I'm not sure I personally see the believability issue.

Sure, a 75 year old wouldn't make a good Jason Bourne, or James Bond, or Batman, or Lara Croft type super action hero who flawlessly executes every stunt. But Indy? That's a little easier for me to buy.

The other thing is, it's just for this this ONE movie. Unless they surprise us with some back to back situation, this is the only time we're ever going to get an Indy this old. After this, those of you who really, really want a young buck Indy are going to get just that for an eternity of reboots.

You can't let Indy be old just this one time? You can't let those who want this enjoy it without your incessant complaining, just because you can't get your way for one more movie?
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:44 AM   #333
Finn

Can't speak for the others, but at least for me, the question is solely what I'd prefer, not what I demand.

I said a long time ago that no matter what direction they take here, they'll have my money. That hasn't changed.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:53 AM   #334
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Can't speak for the others, but at least for me, the question is solely what I'd prefer, not what I demand.

I said a long time ago that no matter what direction they take here, they'll have my money. That hasn't changed.

They’ve made a decision, it’s Harrison Ford. So what’s with the debate? Can we move on to the topic at hand?

Back to Indy 5 news:

http://www.celebretainment.com/celeb...dd9486742.html
Old 10-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #335
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Palm
They’ve made a decision, it’s Harrison Ford. So what’s with the debate?
The debate concerns whether Harrison Ford is/should be the only person playing Indiana Jones in the upcoming movie.

While they've most likely made that decision too, it's yet to be publicly announced. And as long as it isn't, there's room for this topic.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:50 PM   #336
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon
You can't let Indy be old just this one time?
As far as I am concerned, Indy was way too old in KOTCS already.

And I'm not talking about the character's age only, the time setting is just as important.

I want to watch Indy in action in the late 1920s and through the 30s, certainly no later than the early 1940s.

The 1950s, so ostentatiously shown in KOTCS, never really worked for me at all.

Indy in the 1960s? I am simply not interested.
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:52 PM   #337
Indy Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
As far as I am concerned, Indy was way too old in KOTCS already.

And I'm not talking about the character's age only, for me the time setting is just as important.

I want to watch Indy in action in the late 1920s and through the 30s, certainly no later than the early 1940s.

The 1950s, so ostentatiously shown in KOTCS, never really worked for me at all.

Indy in the 1960s? I am simply not interested.

Makes sense. It doesn't sound like there's anything for you to look forward to in this next film. Will you see it anyhow?
Indy Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:58 PM   #338
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Jones
Makes sense. It doesn't sound like there's anything for you to look forward to in this next film. Will you see it anyhow?

Anyone thatís hardcore enough to go out of there way to go to an Indiana Jones message board is going to see the next film.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:00 PM   #339
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Quote:
It doesn't sound like there's anything for you to look forward to in this next film.

Unless at least part of the story is shown in flashbacks, which is still entirely possible at this stage.

Quote:
Will you see it anyhow?
Probably - even if there are no flashbacks with a younger Indy.

But we are talking three years from now. Who knows, really?
You cannot be sure you'll watch it yourself, my friend...
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:09 PM   #340
IndyBuff
IndyFan

I still think they missed a big opportunity to do another one in the 90's. Ford was still young enough and it would have been cool to see one set in the early 1940's, with Indy taking on the Imperial Japanese. I'm not opposed to Indy being set in the 60's but it does feel a little weird pushing the character that far into the future.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:01 PM   #341
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBuff
I still think they missed a big opportunity to do another one in the 90's. Ford was still young enough and it would have been cool to see one set in the early 1940's, with Indy taking on the Imperial Japanese. I'm not opposed to Indy being set in the 60's but it does feel a little weird pushing the character that far into the future.

Frankly, they wrote themselves into a corner with Last Crusade. All of the repeated elements from Raiders imposed the symmetry of a trilogy on the three films that then existed. The Young Indy sequence felt like explaining where the character came from in their last chance to do so, and riding off into the sunset offered an implied end to the character's story.

I like Last Crusade a lot, and some of its revisions of Raiders are among the more subtly effective things about it, but it did not suggest a way forward in a way that Monkey King or the haunted castle concepts might have.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:19 PM   #342
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

There seems to have been a point late in the development of the third film where Spielberg/Lucas went from approaching it as "Indy III" to designing it as the finale of the (retrospective) trilogy.

That said, I agree that there were some probably some great WWWII era Indy movies that could have been made in the 90s. Apparently, Lucas never even considered that because he was so infatuated with his alien/B-movie idea. No draft of the fourth film was set before 1947 (Roswell) as far as I know.

It's too bad, but I'll forever keep hope alive that they can fulfill this potential with an animated series some day.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:17 PM   #343
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Frankly, they wrote themselves into a corner with Last Crusade. All of the repeated elements from Raiders imposed the symmetry of a trilogy on the three films that then existed. The Young Indy sequence felt like explaining where the character came from in their last chance to do so, and riding off into the sunset offered an implied end to the character's story.

I like Last Crusade a lot, and some of its revisions of Raiders are among the more subtly effective things about it, but it did not suggest a way forward in a way that Monkey King or the haunted castle concepts might have.

That's true as well. I love the film but it didn't attempt to really do anything different the way that Raiders and Temple did. The father element was certainly a new twist but the beats were rather familiar.

Like I said, I'm a big fan of Last Crusade, but it also seems like they were unsure of where to go afterward, especially after such a satisfying conclusion.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:00 PM   #344
IndyFan89
IndyFan

Quote:
And I think I could kick Ford's irregardless of whether I'm in better or worse shape than him. Because I've got something Mr. Ford lacks - military training.

Addendum: In the name of honesty, I know very little past the basics and hold no delusions - pretty much anyone with more training and/or experience would wipe the floor with me. But me vs. a 75-year-old man whose experience consists entirely of Hollywood playacting? Yeah, I'd like my odds in that bout.

You chose a pretty poor argument, because one's physical condition is rarely a decisive factor in a fight. Knowing how to fight better than your opponent matters far more.

Here's a question - If you had to run away from Mr. Ford, do you think you could outrun him? If the answer is "no", I don't think you're in as great a shape as you boast.

Addendum 2: I'm fairly certain I could do this too, and it's also my preferred method of displaying physical superiority in pretty much every situation that looks like it could come to blows. I've little desire to "kick asses" unless cornered with no other options.

Eye roll! Everyoneís a tough guy lol
IndyFan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:05 PM   #345
Moedred
Administrator

Rounding up all the Blade Runner interview quotes. Did I miss any?
Quote:
September 13, 2017
Harrison Ford's phone beeps with a text message telling him the new script is ready for him to read. He hopes it might happen in the second half of next year. I ask him what this new Indiana Jones movie will need to be in order to have him fully engaged. "Funded," he replies.

September 22, 2017
Q: "Are you going to fight white supremacists?"
Harrison Ford: "Um, I am, every chance I get, yeah. And if Nazis are back, I'm back. But it's not necessarily the thematic of the new Indiana Jones script. We're working on a script. I'm looking forward to having the opportunity to work with Steven again and revisit that character in a different story at a different age. But the fight for good and evil, between good and evil continues, it's not yet won. So I'll sign up for that battle again."
Ryan Gosling: "Not that you need my help, but I'm right there with you, pal."

September 25, 2017
Ryan Gosling: "I mean I'm just, uh, I'm working on it man. Easy. You just blew it for me. Too soon."
Harrison Ford: "I'm trying to wrap my head around that. Too soon."

September 26, 2017
Harrison Ford: "I just wanted to bring back characters that audiences have enjoyed seeing. I want to be able to develop their stories in an interesting way. I want to give them a little bit something different. And then I'll go away and leave them alone."

September 27, 2017
Harrison Ford: "Five, yes. Yes it is. We have a release date. We're working on a script. It will be great. Iím looking forward to working with Steven again, revisiting the character. I think that can be a good thing to do."

September 27, 2017
Harrison Ford: "There's another Indiana Jones looming, I'm happy to say. I enjoy working with Steven and making that kind of movie. I mean, an Indiana Jones kind of movie, yeah. What do you mean what do I mean? An Indiana Jones movie. A movie that's more about movies than anything else. But it's also, you know, [Blade Runner] is an adult adventure. Indiana Jones are family kind of films, and one of the great opportunities of my life is that Indiana Jones, Star Wars, stuff like that gets passed on generationally."
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:35 PM   #346
Pale Horse

Finn and Ford going at it!

Quote:

Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:49 PM   #347
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
Rounding up all the Blade Runner interview quotes. Did I miss any?

Thanks for sharing those. I still wish Disney would move Indy V back up to summer of 2019 but at least Ford seems to be excited about this one. I hope the rest of them start feeling that same sense of urgency.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:44 PM   #348
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBuff
Thanks for sharing those. I still wish Disney would move Indy V back up to summer of 2019 but at least Ford seems to be excited about this one. I hope the rest of them start feeling that same sense of urgency.

Same. But I will feel a lot better once cameras are actually rolling on the film. Since that could happen in less than a year from now thatís good enough for me.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:58 AM   #349
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyFan89
Eye roll! Everyone’s a tough guy lol
I'm fairly certain that so-called "tough guys" don't include addendums that undermines their own tough-guyness.

It's basically a statement that says, "I think I could take a 75-year-old man in a fight and win, but even then I prefer running away" - and I honestly don't see what's particularly "tough" about that.

Of course I had to add a bit of extra purple prose to see if we have any dum-dums who catch the bait. And the Internet never fails to deliver.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:57 AM   #350
genericfanboy

Ford is fantastic in Blade Runner 2049 - playing his age and displaying some very real 'broken down' acting chops, as well as doing some believable punching and running about.

Be interesting to see if they take Indy 5 down a similarly emotional, realistic route, preferably with Marion and Mutt having carped it at some point in the decade since Crystal Meth.

They'll probably just have him doing backflips and flying through the air in a tumble dryer while cartoon squirrels look on though.
genericfanboy is offline   Reply With Quote